Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shinobar

Re: wacom driver by tempestuous

#1426 Post by shinobar »

don570 wrote:Does anyone know how to make a wacom tablet driver
persistent i.e. stay loaded even after a reboot
How about the boot manager?
You need to rmmod the module before starting the boot manager.
It registers the module name at /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG.
Like:
ADDLIST=' wacom'
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

utf8 issue

#1427 Post by shinobar »

zigbert wrote:- I have to define UTF-8 to get Viewnior show my files containing norwegian chars.

Code: Select all

# export LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8; viewnior /root/nær.jpg
As the commandline shows urxvt also troubles without UTF-8
The utf8 issue is long persistent issue on Puppy/Woof.
See the posts on Wary:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 0&start=95
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=104
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=120
They are not different format or encoding, but the issue of the name of locale.
Most of Puppy and woof use '.utf8' as the UTF-8 encoding, whereas most of Linux distributions use '.UTF-8'.
(Need to modify rc.country)

gabe

#1428 Post by gabe »

you could add Xorg_High to get max performance.
Aha! ...what does that mean? Edit an xorg.conf and put in...what?

I'm interested in installing this on my mom's old 256mb desktop but I only have 2 hours to do it, so I want to learn as much as I can first!

Needless to say, 5.2... even in a development stage... might still be the best choice. :)

James C

#1429 Post by James C »

rjbrewer wrote:On the other hand.........

Fluppy is 161mb, will not eject cd with 256ram, but that doesn't
effect my decision to use it or not..
At the moment I'm running Fluppy 008 in ram on a box with 512 mb ram and a 1 gb swap partition and can't eject the cd either.

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 513MB (154MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.43
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 24 Nov 2010 07:16:28 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

gabe

Won't boot from USB??!?!!!

#1430 Post by gabe »

I found a critical (?) bug: won't boot from USB (or SD card). Sorry to interrupt all these technical discussions about UTF and whatever, and about size vs efficiency philosophy discussions, but really... netbooks have no CD drives. Puppy 4.x seemed to work.

I used the latest UNetBootin to place the Luci-238 ISO on my sd card. I went to my computer, stuck it in, and the Puppy image came up, it said "loading drivers to access disk drives" and all... then it searched folders for puppy files. Then subfolders. Then sub-subfolders. Then failed.

It's all right there on the SD Card! luci_238.sfs, right on the main sd card (not in a folder).
Last edited by gabe on Thu 25 Nov 2010, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#1431 Post by 01micko »

ok ttuuxxx..

you asked for it, you got it!

new2dir fix!

Ok, the problem wasn't make at all. I looked in /usr/bin/installwatch and couldn't see anything obvious. But the file /tmp/pkginstall.list was churning out rubbish...

Hmm... I notice we had a very old version of installwatch, from 2006/7. I searced for a lucid package, and installwatch turned up in the checkinstall package. I unpacked it and took a peek. I repackaged and hacked the installed watch script to be puppy compliant and ditched all the docs and checkinstall script, not in puppy.

The end result is a working new2dir

Yippee!

Now ttuuxx can compile us some skinny stuff!

Cheers!

This package replaces /usr/bin/installwatch and /usr/lib/installwatch.so

Note to playdayz: this package must replace installwatch-0.6.3.pet in woof
Attachments
installwatch_lucid-1.6.1.pet
(16.56 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rjbrewer

#1432 Post by rjbrewer »

James C wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:On the other hand.........

Fluppy is 161mb, will not eject cd with 256ram, but that doesn't
effect my decision to use it or not..
At the moment I'm running Fluppy 008 in ram on a box with 512 mb ram and a 1 gb swap partition and can't eject the cd either.
Yes;
Just tried 008 on my 700m with 1gb ram; won't eject.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

Re: Won't boot from USB??!?!!!

#1433 Post by 01micko »

gabe wrote:I found a critical (?) bug: won't boot from USB (or SD card). Sorry to interrupt all these technical discussions about UTF and whatever, and about size vs efficiency philosophy discussions, but really... netbooks have no CD drives. Puppy 4.x seemed to work.

I used the latest UNetBootin to place the Luci-238 ISO on my sd card. I went to my computer, stuck it in, and the Puppy image came up, it said "loading drivers to access disk drives" and all... then it searched folders for puppy files. Then subfolders. Then sub-subfolders. Then failed.

It's all right there on the SD Card! luci_238.sfs, right on the main sd card (not in a folder).
I haven't had that issue, though I don't use unetbootin, did all the files transfer correctly to the usb stick? Are you certain the main sfs didn't get corrupted? Check the size of it compared to on your CD. Have you successfully booted puppy before from said medium?

Before you say it's a bug you have to search every avenue. If you test these things and they test ok, then you still can't boot please get back to us. It could also be a unetbootin bug.
Cheers

shinobar

can't eject the cd

#1434 Post by shinobar »

James C wrote:At the moment I'm running Fluppy 008 in ram on a box with 512 mb ram and a 1 gb swap partition and can't eject the cd either.
Long persistent Puppy/Woof issue.
You can eject the live CD without savefile (pfix=ram).
But once you load the savefile, the live CD cannot eject.

Japanese versions and LupQ have modified inird so that we can eject the live CD anycase if the RAM is enough.

gabe

Re: Won't boot from USB??!?!!!

#1435 Post by gabe »

01micko wrote:
gabe wrote:I found a critical (?) bug: won't boot from USB (or SD card). Sorry to interrupt all these technical discussions about UTF and whatever, and about size vs efficiency philosophy discussions, but really... netbooks have no CD drives. Puppy 4.x seemed to work.

I haven't had that issue, though I don't use unetbootin, did all the files transfer correctly to the usb stick? Are you certain the main sfs didn't get corrupted? Check the size of it compared to on your CD. Have you successfully booted puppy before from said medium?

Before you say it's a bug you have to search every avenue. If you test these things and they test ok, then you still can't boot please get back to us. It could also be a unetbootin bug.
Cheers
I've tried unetbootin and the Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux (which specifically supports 5.1.1, which I assume this is similar to). Both produce the exact same error.

Yes, I've verified the files on the card to be identical to the corresponding files in the downloaded ISO (which I also re-downloaded just to make sure). I've also attempted to place all of the files onto the root of my C:\ drive in Windows -- it also fails, but with a new message ("failed to find boot partition").

What's going on? Is it the "SCSI" in the filename? Isn't that just the normal build with an extra feature? It won't boot...

gabe

#1436 Post by gabe »

Yes, verifying that 5.1.1 works fine... but the browser is HORRIBLE. gmail.com or www.gmail.com fail miserably, the scroll bar disappears randomly, and whatnot. What is this "Midori" nonsense as default? XD

Thank goodness I caught that before my MOM used the computer... *gulp*

playdayz

#1437 Post by playdayz »

Bye Bye XineDVD.

It crashed on me a couple of times, right out of X. We will just stay with our strengths.
I trust that it will still be available through Quickpet or PPM. It
Yes. The best version we can get. Speaking of which--would anyone like to try compiling Xine in luci-238, etc.?

playdayz

#1438 Post by playdayz »

, verifying that 5.1.1 works fine... but the browser is HORRIBLE. gmail.com or www.gmail.com fail miserably, the scroll bar disappears randomly, and whatnot. What is this "Midori" nonsense as default? XD
midori is meant to be an internal browser for very limited purposes. When you start it from the menu there should be a warning message. There is a full version in the puppy Package Manager if you like midori ;-)

The first tiem you click the browse icon on the desktop youa re asked to choose a real browser!

playdayz

#1439 Post by playdayz »

It is the matter of the developers who provide multiple window managers in their distribution.
LOL. That's the best one ever shinobar. I am still laughing.

But I do think Menu -> Desktop Settings -> WM Switcher will always say what window manager is running.

playdayz

#1440 Post by playdayz »

new2dir fix!
Thanks and congratulations.

I have made the substitution in luci-239pre

gabe

#1441 Post by gabe »

playdayz wrote:
, verifying that 5.1.1 works fine... but the browser is HORRIBLE. gmail.com or www.gmail.com fail miserably, the scroll bar disappears randomly, and whatnot. What is this "Midori" nonsense as default? XD
midori is meant to be an internal browser for very limited purposes. When you start it from the menu there should be a warning message. There is a full version in the puppy Package Manager if you like midori ;-)

The first tiem you click the browse icon on the desktop youa re asked to choose a real browser!
I see! But there was no warning message because it popped up by itself (welcome screen, with "woof woof!" sound effect). Newbies (like me) would simply enter other URLs in the obvious address bar and browse, finding all these glitches and then some. Interesting there is no default browser.

Though my next gripe is with gnome-mplayer -- it's quite slow and scaling/stretching video is broken (I'm using the Xorg_High on an Intel 945 chipset with xv and X11 output). I'm guessing 5.1.1 wasn't as optimized? I also couldn't find the awesome gxine in 5.1.1 -- just my oversight? One more thing -- JWM's bottom panel disappeared (permanently) when I selected "bluish-gradient" as my GTK theme followed by "Use GTK theme" in JWM settings. Is this fixed in 5.2? ;)

And though I can run 5.1.1 so easily and in all sorts of novel boot techniques, I can't load luci-238 no matter what I try. Remember, I have no CD drive and can't test via VM on this netbook. (And I ONLY have this netbook at my disposal right now).

A hint: at bootup, it looks for luci_238.sfs (note the underscore) while all other puppy versions (ever) have looked for name-### (note the DASH/HYPHEN). The significance of the underscore being bad was discussed ages ago under "Warning to MS Windows users" here, but the problem ONLY applies to 238, NOT 5.1.1 or 4.2, etc.

01micko

#1442 Post by 01micko »

gabe

I am posting from a usb install of 238 in a fat32 usb disk, no trouble booting (more trouble typing! keyboard is broken :( ) so you are spot on with your windows dash versus underscore theory it seems.

Maybe you should search the forum for a solution, I don't use windows so can't offer a solution.

If the filename on the media for luci_238.sfs is wrong can you rename it?

Shinobar? Do you have one for gabe and his mom?

Cheers

an after thought... since you can boot 511, can you boot to that, insert the problematic luci_238 drive (if you have enough ports) and change the filename in a linux environment?

ttuuxxx

#1443 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi micko funny I compiled installwatch yesterday before you packaged the ubuntu one and well it didn't work right, but I'm please to announce your fix indeed work, Now that's a job well done, I went as far as compiling make, automake,libtool, m4 etc. Oh well at least one of us squashed that bug :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

shinobar

underscore

#1444 Post by shinobar »

gabe wrote:A hint: at bootup, it looks for luci_238.sfs (note the underscore)
Ah, yes i realized. I am on Puppy(LupQ-511) and seeing .iso files.
luci-236-SCSI.iso and later uses underscore, rerating the '-SCSI' add to the .iso file name?.
Although i had no problem with boot up the frugal installation both luci-231 to 235 with 'luci-xxx.sfs' and luci-236-SCSI to 238 with 'luci_xxx.sfs'.

As for the Windows file name problem, the file name 'pup-431.sfs' was seen as 'PUP_431.SFS' from Windows.
Recent woof has no problem i guess, but i am not sure.
Last edited by shinobar on Thu 25 Nov 2010, 05:05, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#1445 Post by James C »

For what its worth,my Luci-238 iso has the underscore and boots fine from the cd and manual frugal installs.Downloaded and burned in Windows 7. :lol:
Attachments
luci-238.png
(75.14 KiB) Downloaded 2038 times