Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tubeguy

#1201 Post by tubeguy »

283 fresh frugal, pretty much the same as 287 IME.

I like the first run desktop!

First run had sound on and ethernet connected

Needed libmpcdec3_1.2.2-2.1ubuntu1_i386.deb for Aqualung

Used shinobar's fix for flsynclient here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 087#468087

glxgears 250 with default i386 libs, up to 270 with i686 libs

Internet connection stable after multiple reboots

All my usual stuff installed as expected, twernt no fuss

Regarding deadbeef, I really think a full version would be best for Puppy.

Regarding full vs frugal, I've ended up with frugal but my HD is completely ext4. I reformatted the whole thing after dumping Windows on the lappie, now I get the speed of an all-Linux file system. There was a significant difference in speed after getting NTFS off this machine, and I think I found the fastest way for Puppy to run on my laptop.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1202 Post by Béèm »

gcmartin wrote:
yarddog wrote: ..... Anytime I download a pet, before I install it, I save it to a save partition on hard drive to be used on next version of iso i.e. Lucid/Luci series
To me this is faster and works much better in environment I am using .....
I've been a LiveCD user for years. I have alway saved PETs/SFSs/RPMs/DEVs to a permanent location (HDD folder) on local HDD as well as NAS. This ability to select the download location or the ability to drag-and-drop these to a permanent location has always been a feature of any Linux no matter if its LiveCD or frugal or full. I may be missing something, but putting files, for later reuse, on mounted folders/drives is not dependent on any particular way Puppy is booted and used.

But, I could be missing what you are referencing.

If not, before expending the time to do full-installs of these beta derivatives, you MAY want to investigate LiveCD/frugal as a simple means of using Puppy as a RAM based OS.

I'm just trying to help.
As I understang yarddog, he is doing the same as you gc martin and download pet's etc.. to a location outside his FULL install, so when he does a fresh install of it he can install those pet's again.

I do the same being in FRUGAL.

I seldom look in the Puppy Package Manager, as I can't download a package there to a specific location without installing right away. But I realize sometimes there are interesting ones in the repository.
So it would be nice to have an extra possibility to be able to select down load only or download and install.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

smokey01

#1203 Post by smokey01 »

01micko wrote:I think the 'full' vs 'frugal' thing is a mindset for many.

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!"

:lol:

I can imagine many users *thinking* the above.

Cheers
Mick, the biggest problem with a frugal install is the save file keeps running out of space. For some of us this is not much of an issue but for many it is.

Sylvander

#1204 Post by Sylvander »

1. Downloaded the Luci-238-SCSI.iso and used it to make a new CD-RW disk.

2. Booted that with the Flash Drive connected->[holding the lucisave.3fs & luci_237.sfs filepair].
Made a mistake = hit the <Enter> key to copy luci_238.sfs into the tiny amount of free space on the 1.3GB partition, so it must have run out of space before completion.
Fixed that later by using a 2nd Puppy to delete the 2 existing sfs files and copying into the space the luci_238.sfs on the CD-RW.

3. Luci updated 237 to 238.
Worked fine, looked good.

4. Rebooted to a 2nd Puppy [Boxpup-431 using a pupsave on the internal HDD, and...
Copied lucisave.3fs & luci_238.sfs filepair from the Flash Drive partition, to a folder in the root of a partition on the 2nd internal [10GB] HDD.

5. Rebooted using the Luci-238-SCSI CD-RW, and no Flash Drive, and...
Luci booted using the lucisave file on the internal HDD.

NOW THE PROBLEM:
6. Decided to use Psync to sync the time.
Couldn't find it anywhere.
Not in the menus.
A terminal couldn't find it.
(a) Installed it [Psync] using the PPM.
Appears in the PPM, but still not found anywhere else. :(

(b) Pfind finds folders and files including psync.desktop...
Must run, will get back.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1205 Post by Béèm »

smokey01 wrote:
01micko wrote:I think the 'full' vs 'frugal' thing is a mindset for many.

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!"

:lol:

I can imagine many users *thinking* the above.

Cheers
Mick, the biggest problem with a frugal install is the save file keeps running out of space. For some of us this is not much of an issue but for many it is.
Not really for beginners, but I managed to create an application environment outside the save file, so I can run pretty safely with a 32MB one.

But a poster in another thread asked, why it would not be possible to have an auto-increase feature, so users are no more in the position, that there is really no space anymore resulting sometimes in a corrupt save file.

The thought is appalling, but the drawback is that users won't bother doing some housekeeping and might end with huge save files.
Last edited by Béèm on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 11:14, edited 2 times in total.
Time savers:

smokey01

#1206 Post by smokey01 »

You are quite right Beem, programs outside the save file can be quite difficult for beginners.

I keep all of my email, documents, OO and various other files outside the save file. I have often thought two save files might be good. One for just the settings and the other for additional software but then again additional software might be better to be automatically installed inside a SFS file.

Just think how portable this might be between similar distributions? Keep all of your favourite programs in the one place.

tasmod

#1207 Post by tasmod »

Hmmm,

firewallstate.

I checked the code and it should work. Then I checked if rc.local was being run at boot, it didn't appear to be!

So, even though the code for 'firewall start' is in there, it is not executed upon startup. The reporting by firewallstate is correct, the firewall is not turned on.

Has there been a change in startup or am I missing something?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

peebee

XineDVD feedback

#1208 Post by peebee »

Frugal install luci238 on my HP550 laptop.

Both updates of luci237 pupsaves and a pristine new pupsave tried.

All OK - cups, samba, dvb-t all as expected.

Only tiny problem encountered is XineDVD doesn't work with Trinity-KDE - doesn't completely start and then after a short time shuts down.

On IceWM XineDVD seems fine and runs dvb-t ok.

A couple of usability comments:

1. having "setup" items in the "desktop settings" sub-menu for item's you're not sure you're using is a bit confusing and its still not made clear to newbies which wm they are using on first install - all of openbox, jwm and fbpanel are in the menu - but which is being used? Could partview tell you the wm in use?

2. the FlSynchclient first run is able to tell you that an X-Server restart is needed - it would be nice and friendlier (I think) if it could do the restart for you automatically

3. I still get caught out that date and time setting is hidden away under Country Settings

Cheers
Peter

Béèm

#1209 Post by Béèm »

smokey01 wrote:YJust think how portable this might be between similar distributions? Keep all of your favourite programs in the one place.
Well, yes that's what I have. I had to create a very simple script to copy the desktop files and links to the correct places. Whenever I try another puppy I just run this simple script and I am up and running.
Time savers:

tasmod

#1210 Post by tasmod »

Rolf,

Thanks for the heads up, mtpaint now prints images.

Many thanks.
Rob
-

Sylvander

#1211 Post by Sylvander »

1. Oops, found Psync in "Menu->Desktop->Country Settings". :oops:

2. In /usr/share/applications/Psync.desktop:

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/local/psync/psync
And it does indeed exist there.
So why doesn't a terminal find it? :?

01micko

#1212 Post by 01micko »

Sylvander

The 'psync' executable is not in the direct executable path..

To find the directories in the direct executable path type echo $PATH at a prompt, you will get a colon separated array of strings.

To execute psync in a terminal type /usr/local/psync/psync

HTH

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Béèm

#1213 Post by Béèm »

Sylvander,
What I do in such cases is go to /root/.packages look for the <the package>.files file and look inside to see where everything is installed.
Time savers:

pemasu

#1214 Post by pemasu »

Deadbeef_0.4.4.pet compiled in luci 238. Two versions, one makes deadbeef default audio player and audio cd player: Deadbeef_default_audio_0.4.4.pet and the other keeps them as they are originally configured: Deadbeef_0.4.4.pet

Brown Mouse

#1215 Post by Brown Mouse »

Testing238

Booted straight to the desktop,nice and easy configuration setup for languages/keyboard etc.

Added Nvidia drivers 256-35 without a hitch.

Firewall status as pointed out is in the 'off' position but personally I believe that is a better start off option.

I had to use 'Retrovol' to enable sound.

'Chat' takes one immediately to #puppylinux,excellent idea for beginners.
However,'Pidgin' will need looking into and a new certificate added as it can cause problems hooking up to 'MSN'.

Thanks for all the hard work that is going into this :D
Last edited by Brown Mouse on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

tasmod

#1216 Post by tasmod »

Sylvander,

psync in it's own folder was a leftover from when it was a standalone pet and not a system item. Pet removal cleaned everything up when used.

Brown Mouse,

Yes it's fine as default 'off' for first install of iso but after that the firewall setting 'on' is not being executed in subsequent boots.

????? Just had warning that personal storage full !!!!!! I've not used or done anything !!!! All 512mb full !!!!???????????????????????
Rob
-

rjbrewer

#1217 Post by rjbrewer »

DaveS wrote:Running fine on my stuff. Twernt no trouble son..... :)
'Twasnt' fish nor fowl;

must have been a Flobster. :wink:
Last edited by rjbrewer on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 15:47, edited 2 times in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

tasmod

#1218 Post by tasmod »

Back again.

Complete fresh frugal install with new pupsave file.

I'm using Iron as the browser and I noticed before that the storage kept dropping by 10meg or so each time I opened and closed Iron.
I suspect caching problems, anyone else?

My pupsave filled quite rapidly and then dramatically. It crashed the system.

At the moment apart from this entry I'm running nothing else and the install is as new.
Rob
-

pemasu

#1219 Post by pemasu »

I think that someone complained using same luci Iron in Sid001 and complained about quick cache usage

DaveS

#1220 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:I think that someone complained using same luci Iron in Sid001 and complained about quick cache usage
The problem is, there is no way to control the cache size in Chrome/Iron that I know of, and to me at least, that makes it an unsuitable browser for a frugal instal.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!