Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rjbrewer

#1171 Post by rjbrewer »

Did an "upgrade" of my full install of 237 to 238.
Everything worked okay; did have to copy new default background
from the cd to /usr/share/backgrounds.

Xine does a good job on dvds.
Dragged the Xine icon from /usr/share/applications to desktop and
use it to start dvds. I prefer keeping mplayer as default.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

#1172 Post by 01micko »

@01micko, could your sfs installer be released as a stand alone package that could be used with other sfs packages that are not identified by Quickpet? Just drag to sfs installer, drop, and install.
Well it actually is as stand alone script so you can use it as in the following code example, I guess I could release it as a separate pet but for older pups it needs more work, such as sfs v3 detection.

Try this and it should work.

Code: Select all

sfs_installation.sh  http://some/url/on/the/web/some.sfs

Some notes about 238

*Using the xfce-cadmium gtk theme is borking gtkdialog splash. There is no colour in any of the messages. Unfortunately I can't see an obvious fix. It's not a bug in gtk-dialog splash because when Xfce is running it works perfectly. I think it's just that xfce themes are meant for xfce. Take that FWIW

*The new pinstall for nvidia-260-* works fine but I may have to move the timer down the bottom, and maybe add a few more seconds.. we don't want users getting flustered. The main thing is that the user clicks 'OK' in the petget window. Maybe that needs to be localised?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#1173 Post by playdayz »

*Using the xfce-cadmium gtk theme is borking gtkdialog splash. There is no colour in any of the messages. Unfortunately I can't see an obvious fix. It's not a bug in gtk-dialog splash because when Xfce is running it works perfectly. I think it's just that xfce themes are meant for xfce. Take that FWIW
OK, I was retesting to see if that was still the case. Out they go!
*The new pinstall for nvidia-260-* works fine but I may have to move the timer down the bottom, and maybe add a few more seconds.. we don't want users getting flustered. The main thing is that the user clicks 'OK' in the petget window. Maybe that needs to be localised?
I will wait until I hear from you then.

playdayz

#1174 Post by playdayz »

Also, it may not be the best default since it may not play all needed formats.
IMHO, we need to distinguish between defaultmediaplayer and defaultdvdplayer. I will look around in the mimes.

playdayz

#1175 Post by playdayz »

iguleder or anyone else up for a challenge? The DeaDBeaf I built with Maverick binaries is 1968K in pet form. It needs to be 0.4.2 or latest. Can anyone compile it to much less than that--with all features, or explain why a feature is unnecessary--I consider musicbrainz necessary. ;-) Just for fun, no guarantee, but I am thinking the the default audio player should play all known formats and ours does not (some .ra files don't play).

James C

#1176 Post by James C »

On another Luci frugal install, with Trinity, I upgraded from 237 to 238.......only things I noticed were the wallpaper and default browser reverted back to Quickpet. Easy fixes though. :)
Trinity/KDE appears to be unaffected and working as before the upgrade.Have to do some tweaking to the Trinity menu for any new applications though.
Upgrade went as well as could be expected.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1177 Post by Béèm »

Frugal (Lin'N'Win) installed.
Made my applications available and they seem to run well.
I have the impression boot is quicker.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

gcmartin

PUP5.2-238 fine so far

#1178 Post by gcmartin »

Luci 238 download and multi-session burn to mini-DVD (referred to hereafter as "LiveCD")

LiveCD > Set PUP5.2 name to New2LAN, numlock, and UTC time > allowed Personalize Settings to Restart X Server
LiveCD > Simple Network Setup ... eth1 (eth0 is empty) ... OK
LiveCD Pet1 > Linker V2.1 ... OK
LiveCD > Midori lock up when started from "help" on desktop. No browser installed at this point ... Failure
LiveCD Pet2 > FullNvidia_260 ...Probe...1400x1050/24 ... OK-Tray tool's RAM report "1.7G personal storage, free space = 1.6G"
LiveCD > Midori lock up, again, when started from menu>Internet>Midori while surfing web. Still, No browser installed ... Failure
LiveCD Pet3 > SAMBA PET V3.5.5... shared Download folder (see ) ... OK
Windows > Insured Windows PCs could see, add and delete from PUP's shared folder ... OK
LiveCD > Inserted Video DVD in 2nd DVD drive > menu>Multimedia>Media Tools>XineDVD>click DVD button.... OK-automatically selected non-boot drive and played video
LiveCD > Copied 12 video files from current NAS into PUP's shared folder. ... OK
Windows > Started video playback on 4 LAN Windows PCs simultaneously. ... OK-no hiccups on any PCs
LiveCD > dragged a video file to XineDVD testing drag-drop-play ... OK
TOP report for system running with LiveDVD XineDVD is as follows:
Mem: 694156K used, 2940400K free, 0K shrd, 61100K buff, 485600K cached
CPU:  24% usr   3% sys   0% nic  72% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq

Pupsave to LiveCD > reboot ... OK
So far its stable.
P.S. I have always had problems with Midori lockup on PUPs. Requires a "kill -9 ..." most times. Sometimes, a desktop restart is required to restart Midori after a kill.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 01:52, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#1179 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Additional testing needs to be done on full HD installations and upgrades.
jim1911, Agreed. I wonder what percentage of people use a full HD install? It is like an orphan in some ways--neither 01micko or I ever use it except for testing--and little enough of that. Plus Puppy was really designed for frugal, so imho full HD install was like an after thought. I know you know that I am just rambling. How much would we lose if we just said we did not support it.
I'm one of those who prefer full installs, but I do most testing with frugals. :)

My success rate for upgrading full installs, with a bunch of different distros, is probably about 50%.Some work fine and some end up in such a mess that a fresh reinstall is needed anyway. :lol: The more differences the less likelihood of a successful upgrade.

01micko

#1180 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote:
@01micko, could your sfs installer be released as a stand alone package that could be used with other sfs packages that are not identified by Quickpet? Just drag to sfs installer, drop, and install.
Well it actually is as stand alone script so you can use it as in the following code example, I guess I could release it as a separate pet but for older pups it needs more work, such as sfs v3 detection.

Jim, this would be a neat experiment in the full install, installing the devx.. I'm trying it now in a frugal.. just paste the code to a terminal, it should work ok and convert to a pet, uninstallable with PPM.

sfs_installation.sh http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci_devx_238.sfs
Cheers

01micko

#1181 Post by 01micko »

I think the 'full' vs 'frugal' thing is a mindset for many.

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!"

:lol:

I can imagine many users *thinking* the above.

Cheers

gcmartin

#1182 Post by gcmartin »

@01micko
I run a LiveCD. If I run your command, is a reboot required for the SFS's functions to be used?
01micko wrote:
01micko wrote:

Jim, this would be a neat experiment in the full install, installing the devx.. I'm trying it now in a frugal.. just paste the code to a terminal, it should work ok and convert to a pet, uninstallable with PPM.

Cheers
Thanks in advance...

01micko

#1183 Post by 01micko »

Ok, my frugal worked fine

gcmartin
I run a LiveCD. If I run your command, is a reboot required for the SFS's functions to be used?
No.

I haven't tested this so it would be great if you could. Now a reboot will be require to save I think.. or can you save mid-session with the save icon? It's been awhile since I did a save back to DVD install.

Cheers

James C

#1184 Post by James C »

James C wrote:On another Luci frugal install, with Trinity, I upgraded from 237 to 238.......only things I noticed were the wallpaper and default browser reverted back to Quickpet. Easy fixes though. :)
Trinity/KDE appears to be unaffected and working as before the upgrade.Have to do some tweaking to the Trinity menu for any new applications though.
Upgrade went as well as could be expected.
It appears that the new items were automatically picked up by the KDE menu....no tweaking necessary.

gcmartin

#1185 Post by gcmartin »

Forgive me for being naive, but when you say "No", did you mean that you were NOT asked to reboot when you ran the "sfs_installation.sh" command in order to use the new services from the SFS or did you mean something else?
Thanks
01micko wrote:gcmartin
No.
I haven't tested this so it would be great if you could. Now a reboot will be require to save I think.. or can you save mid-session with the save icon? It's been awhile since I did a save back to DVD install.
Cheers

01micko

#1186 Post by 01micko »

Clarification..

No you are not asked to reboot, nor are you required. The sfs should simply (well simply enough :wink: ) be converted to a pet and then you are offered to install. The pet made is stored in /tmp so if you want you can save it on some other media. It will be flushed on reboot. Once the pet is installed (if you are using the devx as an example), type 'gcc' in a terminal and the output should be 'no input files' if the compiler is working.

You will need to save that session, or the changes will be lost

Hth

Cheers

James C

#1187 Post by James C »

Been switching back and forth between Openbox,JWM,IceWm,XFCE and Fluxbox........ WM Switcher appears to be working fine.

Booted up Luci-238 live pfix=ram on my main Linux box.Everything good on initial boot.Downloaded Chromium......forgot that Chromium doesn't run on this Athlon XP box..Still doesn't run...... :lol:

Jim1911

#1188 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Jim, this would be a neat experiment in the full install, installing the devx.. I'm trying it now in a frugal.. just paste the code to a terminal, it should work ok and convert to a pet, uninstallable with PPM.

Cheers
Sorry, it didn't work. Downloaded fine, but pet did not install. See attached. If you like, I'll try it again on a fresh full HD installation, but not tonight.

Cheers,
Jim

rjbrewer

#1189 Post by rjbrewer »

01micko wrote:I think the 'full' vs 'frugal' thing is a mindset for many.

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!"

:lol:

I can imagine many users *thinking* the above.

Cheers
I've never thought that; you might just change my mind. :lol:

People from English speaking countries don't use the word "twernt".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twernt :lol:

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

yarddog

#1190 Post by yarddog »

playdayz wrote:
Additional testing needs to be done on full HD installations and upgrades.
jim1911, Agreed. I wonder what percentage of people use a full HD install? It is like an orphan in some ways--neither 01micko or I ever use it except for testing--and little enough of that. Plus Puppy was really designed for frugal, so imho full HD install was like an after thought. I know you know that I am just rambling. How much would we lose if we just said we did not support it.
Please do not take away ability to perform full install to hard drive.
I prefer this over fugual
Anytime I download a pet, before I install it, I save it to a save partition on hard drive to be used on next version of iso i.e. Lucid/Luci series
To me this is faster and works much better in environment I am using

I appreciate all the hard work and long, long hours you guys put in to provide this software to end users like me

keep up the excellent work
best regards
yarddog