Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 14:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 79 of 210 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, ..., 208, 209, 210 Next
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:01    Post_subject:  

Did an "upgrade" of my full install of 237 to 238.
Everything worked okay; did have to copy new default background
from the cd to /usr/share/backgrounds.

Xine does a good job on dvds.
Dragged the Xine icon from /usr/share/applications to desktop and
use it to start dvds. I prefer keeping mplayer as default.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:09    Post_subject:  

Quote:
@01micko, could your sfs installer be released as a stand alone package that could be used with other sfs packages that are not identified by Quickpet? Just drag to sfs installer, drop, and install.

Well it actually is as stand alone script so you can use it as in the following code example, I guess I could release it as a separate pet but for older pups it needs more work, such as sfs v3 detection.

Try this and it should work.
Code:
sfs_installation.sh  http://some/url/on/the/web/some.sfs

Some notes about 238

*Using the xfce-cadmium gtk theme is borking gtkdialog splash. There is no colour in any of the messages. Unfortunately I can't see an obvious fix. It's not a bug in gtk-dialog splash because when Xfce is running it works perfectly. I think it's just that xfce themes are meant for xfce. Take that FWIW

*The new pinstall for nvidia-260-* works fine but I may have to move the timer down the bottom, and maybe add a few more seconds.. we don't want users getting flustered. The main thing is that the user clicks 'OK' in the petget window. Maybe that needs to be localised?

Cheers

playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:16    Post_subject:  

Quote:
*Using the xfce-cadmium gtk theme is borking gtkdialog splash. There is no colour in any of the messages. Unfortunately I can't see an obvious fix. It's not a bug in gtk-dialog splash because when Xfce is running it works perfectly. I think it's just that xfce themes are meant for xfce. Take that FWIW

OK, I was retesting to see if that was still the case. Out they go!
Quote:
*The new pinstall for nvidia-260-* works fine but I may have to move the timer down the bottom, and maybe add a few more seconds.. we don't want users getting flustered. The main thing is that the user clicks 'OK' in the petget window. Maybe that needs to be localised?

I will wait until I hear from you then.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:21    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Also, it may not be the best default since it may not play all needed formats.

IMHO, we need to distinguish between defaultmediaplayer and defaultdvdplayer. I will look around in the mimes.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:40    Post_subject:  

iguleder or anyone else up for a challenge? The DeaDBeaf I built with Maverick binaries is 1968K in pet form. It needs to be 0.4.2 or latest. Can anyone compile it to much less than that--with all features, or explain why a feature is unnecessary--I consider musicbrainz necessary. Wink Just for fun, no guarantee, but I am thinking the the default audio player should play all known formats and ours does not (some .ra files don't play).
James C

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:41    Post_subject:  

On another Luci frugal install, with Trinity, I upgraded from 237 to 238.......only things I noticed were the wallpaper and default browser reverted back to Quickpet. Easy fixes though. Smile
Trinity/KDE appears to be unaffected and working as before the upgrade.Have to do some tweaking to the Trinity menu for any new applications though.
Upgrade went as well as could be expected.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:43    Post_subject:  

Frugal (Lin'N'Win) installed.
Made my applications available and they seem to run well.
I have the impression boot is quicker.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:46    Post_subject: PUP5.2-238 fine so far  

Luci 238 download and multi-session burn to mini-DVD (referred to hereafter as "LiveCD")
Code:
LiveCD > Set PUP5.2 name to New2LAN, numlock, and UTC time > allowed Personalize Settings to Restart X Server
LiveCD > Simple Network Setup ... eth1 (eth0 is empty) ... OK
LiveCD Pet1 > Linker V2.1 ... OK
LiveCD > Midori lock up when started from "help" on desktop. No browser installed at this point ... Failure
LiveCD Pet2 > FullNvidia_260 ...Probe...1400x1050/24 ... OK-Tray tool's RAM report "1.7G personal storage, free space = 1.6G"
LiveCD > Midori lock up, again, when started from menu>Internet>Midori while surfing web. Still, No browser installed ... Failure
LiveCD Pet3 > SAMBA PET V3.5.5... shared Download folder (see ) ... OK
Windows > Insured Windows PCs could see, add and delete from PUP's shared folder ... OK
LiveCD > Inserted Video DVD in 2nd DVD drive > menu>Multimedia>Media Tools>XineDVD>click DVD button.... OK-automatically selected non-boot drive and played video
LiveCD > Copied 12 video files from current NAS into PUP's shared folder. ... OK
Windows > Started video playback on 4 LAN Windows PCs simultaneously. ... OK-no hiccups on any PCs
LiveCD > dragged a video file to XineDVD testing drag-drop-play ... OK
TOP report for system running with LiveDVD XineDVD is as follows:
Mem: 694156K used, 2940400K free, 0K shrd, 61100K buff, 485600K cached
CPU:  24% usr   3% sys   0% nic  72% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq

Pupsave to LiveCD > reboot ... OK
So far its stable.
P.S. I have always had problems with Midori lockup on PUPs. Requires a "kill -9 ..." most times. Sometimes, a desktop restart is required to restart Midori after a kill.

Edited_times_total
James C

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 20:55    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
Additional testing needs to be done on full HD installations and upgrades.

jim1911, Agreed. I wonder what percentage of people use a full HD install? It is like an orphan in some ways--neither 01micko or I ever use it except for testing--and little enough of that. Plus Puppy was really designed for frugal, so imho full HD install was like an after thought. I know you know that I am just rambling. How much would we lose if we just said we did not support it.

I'm one of those who prefer full installs, but I do most testing with frugals. Smile

My success rate for upgrading full installs, with a bunch of different distros, is probably about 50%.Some work fine and some end up in such a mess that a fresh reinstall is needed anyway. Laughing The more differences the less likelihood of a successful upgrade.
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 21:00    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
Quote:
@01micko, could your sfs installer be released as a stand alone package that could be used with other sfs packages that are not identified by Quickpet? Just drag to sfs installer, drop, and install.

Well it actually is as stand alone script so you can use it as in the following code example, I guess I could release it as a separate pet but for older pups it needs more work, such as sfs v3 detection.

Code:

Jim, this would be a neat experiment in the full install, installing the devx.. I'm trying it now in a frugal.. just paste the code to a terminal, it should work ok and convert to a pet, uninstallable with PPM.
Code:
sfs_installation.sh http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci_devx_238.sfs

Cheers

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 21:04    Post_subject:  

I think the 'full' vs 'frugal' thing is a mindset for many.

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!"

Laughing

I can imagine many users *thinking* the above.

Cheers

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 21:15    Post_subject:  

@01micko
I run a LiveCD. If I run your command, is a reboot required for the SFS's functions to be used?
01micko wrote:
01micko wrote:
Quote:

Code:

Jim, this would be a neat experiment in the full install, installing the devx.. I'm trying it now in a frugal.. just paste the code to a terminal, it should work ok and convert to a pet, uninstallable with PPM.
Code:
sfs_installation.sh http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci_devx_238.sfs

Cheers
Thanks in advance...
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 21:23    Post_subject:  

Ok, my frugal worked fine

gcmartin
Quote:
I run a LiveCD. If I run your command, is a reboot required for the SFS's functions to be used?

No.

I haven't tested this so it would be great if you could. Now a reboot will be require to save I think.. or can you save mid-session with the save icon? It's been awhile since I did a save back to DVD install.

Cheers

James C

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 21:32    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
On another Luci frugal install, with Trinity, I upgraded from 237 to 238.......only things I noticed were the wallpaper and default browser reverted back to Quickpet. Easy fixes though. Smile
Trinity/KDE appears to be unaffected and working as before the upgrade.Have to do some tweaking to the Trinity menu for any new applications though.
Upgrade went as well as could be expected.

It appears that the new items were automatically picked up by the KDE menu....no tweaking necessary.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2010, 21:47    Post_subject:  

Forgive me for being naive, but when you say "No", did you mean that you were NOT asked to reboot when you ran the "sfs_installation.sh" command in order to use the new services from the SFS or did you mean something else?
Thanks
01micko wrote:
gcmartin
Quote:

No.
I haven't tested this so it would be great if you could. Now a reboot will be require to save I think.. or can you save mid-session with the save icon? It's been awhile since I did a save back to DVD install.
Cheers

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 79 of 210 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, ..., 208, 209, 210 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum