Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DaveS

#2041 Post by DaveS »

ttuuxxx wrote:as it goes guys and gals I spent a lot of time on Lucid Puppy 5.2 and well I have other projects on the go, So I must say thanks for using the packages and the best for this release, sure I think its a bit large and has a couple of GTK issues, but its stable as hell, I haven't shut my pc off in 11 days, 7 hours.
Take care
ttuuxxx
Ciao baby :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

eeepuppy

Startmount do not works fine

#2042 Post by eeepuppy »

Installing luci-241 I noticed that the program startmount
does not install the disks (partitions). The programs are properly instead
installed at startup.

stu90

#2043 Post by stu90 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
stu90 wrote:
playdayz wrote:ttuuxxx, Did you say you had a Theme button in 2.14X? Is that something we could borrow? Is it a button in the taskbar that will automatically change Background and JWM Theme? People might enjoy having 7 or so themes available with one-click.

Oh, they would need, jwm theme, gtk theme, background, and icon set. Or maybe someone could make a nice gui that could change all of those things at the same time so people could more easily do mix and match and trial and error. Well, I guess people could do it now by starting 4 programs ;-) Ah, with some presets for built in themes. Dream on. Maybe next time. Has zigbert already done this?
I think it was Trio who made 'Desktop Display Profile Manager' (firs picture in album) it allows you to create global jwm-gtk-icon-wallpaper profiles / themes.
Edit. here is link to Trio's Desktop Display Profile Manager.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... d88e618e27

I added the global theme selector from it to a quick app/launcher GUI (rest of pictures in album) i have in JWM tray.

album - http://imgur.com/a/Zn692
what ever you said, What I did was from scratch.
Man from a simple GUI I get tons of extra inputs that are really redundant.
ttuuxxx

In all honesty and to be truthfully with you, as my reply was to playdayz i literally have no clue what you are talking about, what you have made from scratch, or what redundant inputs you have received.
thanks.

l0wt3ch

#2044 Post by l0wt3ch »

Béèm wrote:You can make the 'open with' list as long as you want.
Just customize.
And this is in all puppy's
I know. And it's easy. But shouldn't it come with a proper set of defaults for the apps it comes with?

Just a thought. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2045 Post by Lobster »

playdayz wrote:
I personally do not think you are running out of cache--FF should certainly be smart enough to handle whatever size you give it. But on the other hand, I know you have been troubled by this repeatedly, so I am interested in the result of your experiment. Have you tried linking /root/.mozilla to a folder in /mnt/home?

And does this happen with other browsers--even if you prefer FF that might be worth a try, Iron 6 or 7 or Opera perhaps.
well the 200MB made no difference
so I will go back to either Seamonkey or the latest FF beta
which I do not remember as having any probs with
I do have a habit of having many tabs open
(nine at the moment) but this has not been an issue previously

Great to hear the right click add to backgrounds is being adopted
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ilanrab

Icons running amok

#2046 Post by ilanrab »

ttuuxxx wrote: ...It you have altered the layout from the default layout that came with the 5.2 it will revert it back to the original state and you'll have to add/delete what ever changes that you made to the layout that it originally was.
ttuuxxx
Thank you for the info. Good stuff.
Now, for the big question. Can we "stop" this reversion? I am sure that if we save some JWM configuration file, we can retain the preferred modified version. Can JWM handle the task in an automated fashion?
Being force to "resituate" my preferred desktop icons, every time I add an icon, or add a new ".SFS" file, is a clearly a drag. :lol:
This is a nuisance -- not a feature.

Cheers,
ir

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2047 Post by Béèm »

l0wt3ch wrote:
Béèm wrote:You can make the 'open with' list as long as you want.
Just customize.
And this is in all puppy's
I know. And it's easy. But shouldn't it come with a proper set of defaults for the apps it comes with?

Just a thought. :)
There are 10 applications in it, which covers most situations.
I add soffice for the OOo file types.
I don't feel the need to add more.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

ilanrab

5.2 and stability

#2048 Post by ilanrab »

ttuuxxx wrote:...I must say thanks for using the packages and the best for this release, sure I think its a bit large and has a couple of GTK issues, but its stable as hell, I haven't shut my pc off in 11 days, 7 hours.
Take care
ttuuxxx
I haven't shut my Dell desktop off in at least 3 days. 241 ala zzz does seem to be stable. However, it's not clear whether hell is as stable as the Pup.

Cheers,
ir

gabe

#2049 Post by gabe »

ttuuxxx wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Ttuuxxx
thanks for treating me like an idiot
always well deserved
. . . and I get to learn something
- how to have my very own wallpapers dragged
and dropped into the filer directory

Me like :)
Hey lobster my over medicated crustacean friend here's something even easier :) I made a tiny script that is linked to JPG,GIF,PNG images so if you right click on any of the three types you'll have a menu item at the top of the list the copies the image directly into the backgrounds folder. :)
how easy is that :)
ttuuxxx
I'm really glad these kinds of things are making it into the official release(s). This is really pretty essential for newbies. I had no idea there was a backgrounds folder I had to move images into. :)

gabe

#2050 Post by gabe »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi playdayz and ttuuxxx,

I just tried jwm-themes-1.pet on my Rewriteable DVD version of 241.

It did not recognize the Save icon which was lost
It did not recognize my only shortcut icon which was lost
It repositioned the Trash icon.

It (v. 1) does have its own attractive desktop icon and it is user-friendly, but if anyone has their own 'offbeat' set-up then they need to expect unexpected changes.

My regards
No problem. If it's included in the official luci-242 by default, there is no chance it can change an existing setup. ;)

playdayz

#2051 Post by playdayz »

Time for luci-242. in the first message of this thread. It is our Feature Freeze--only debugging from now on.

Me: Add about 20 great packages to PPM (future tense). PPM is an integral part of Lucid. I hope people just regard it as "external storage." That includes Quickpet with the SFS Getter.

playdayz

#2052 Post by playdayz »

Should Geweled that ttuuxxx made replace one or two of the games already in the iso? Which ones?

tubeguy

#2053 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:Time for luci-242. in the first message of this thread. It is our Feature Freeze--only debugging from now on..
Hot dog, downloading now!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

yarddog

#2054 Post by yarddog »

tubeguy wrote:
playdayz wrote:Time for luci-242. in the first message of this thread. It is our Feature Freeze--only debugging from now on..
posting from 242- looking good

tubeguy

#2055 Post by tubeguy »

yarddog wrote:
tubeguy wrote:
Beat me by 15 minutes. ;-)

James C

#2056 Post by James C »

tubeguy wrote:
yarddog wrote:
tubeguy wrote: Hot dog, downloading now!
Beat me by 15 minutes. ;-)
Fresh frugal install of 242 on the old P3.....everything working on initial boot and still working after a couple of reboots.Looks good. :)

gabe

#2057 Post by gabe »

Luci-242 does NOT boot on my mom's Inspiron 2400, even with usbflash set.

This is the first and only puppy that gets to the graphical interface and drops out in less than 1 second. No options in xorgwizard (including vesa) allow me to get X working again.

This is first boot (clean). I'm speechless, in that I cannot explain what or how this could happen. It found all the files okay (woof is STILL broken for USB booting and needs to be fixed before release, or else the #1 demographic for puppy -- netbooks -- will be unable to use it without being linux experts or modifying the syslinux.cfg for boot="usbflash").

I don't know what's going on. Everything is fine, no errors come up, it copies to RAM and then the graphical desktop appears for a split second before dying. I've tried multiple times -- one time I even heard a "woof!" but it dropped right back to the prompt and NOTHING the xorgwizard could do to fix it.

I don't know what kind of changes were made between 239 and 242, but whatever it was, it completely broke things for my mom's inspiron 2400.

Hm, I'm trying to think of any distinguishing features. Ah, there was a swap partition and it was detected at boot. There also appears to be a pupswap.swp (200MB in size) on the disk -- no idea how that got there.

I'm going to try to clear the swap partitions and erase the swap file.

Is there any commandline I can use to boot puppy so that it ignores all puppy related files on the disk? This would make it so much easier to find out why it's completely broken for me.

tubeguy

#2058 Post by tubeguy »

Fresh frugal on 242.

Wired ethernet connected automagically.
Flsynclient ran perfect!
Sound muted on first boot, turned it on and it stayed on after 2 reboots.
Seems snappier than 239 which I have been using.

So far so good!

Edit: Installed this stuff with no problem

Firefox-3.6.6-Lucid
icewm-1.3.7pre2-L519-lucid
aqualung-0.9b11-Lucid (needed libmpcdec3_1.2.2)
audacity_1.3.11-2-lucid-i386
FileZilla3-FileZilla-3.3.3-Lucid
Gimp-2.6.8-Lucid
Inkscape-0.47-Lucid
jre-1.6.0.22
Kompozer-0.8b1-Lucid
pwidgets-2.2.7
pwidgets_extras-2.2.4
Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid
i686-ffmpeg-libraries-5.2_lucid
Attachments
tubetop12410600.jpg
(57.71 KiB) Downloaded 981 times
tubetop12410.jpg
(143.15 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by tubeguy on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#2059 Post by ttuuxxx »

playdayz wrote:Should Geweled that ttuuxxx made replace one or two of the games already in the iso? Which ones?
I would say yes and the games to replace I would remove picpuz, rubix cube, tile slider game, xemeraldia. but I would like to see a small solitaire game included, bejeweled is probably the most addictive game on windows, and Geweled does a great job at replacing it with a freeware version.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

shinobar

Luci-242 Feature Freaze

#2060 Post by shinobar »

I'd like to express congrats to Playdayz, all the developers and testers coming up to this stage. Luci-242 has big progress from the Lucu-511.

But i ring the bell warning playdayz and all the testers :!:
Luci contains serious bugs come from the recent woof (Luci-240 and later).

Barry has recently made a great deal of modification in woof regarding loading the main sfs and saving/loading pupsave.
It has some improvement such as warning upgrading pupsave, recognition of USB drives, etc.
But also introduced serious bugs.

Heavy test is required on various installations.
At least one problem i know that it fails UnetBootin installation.
It comes from changing the interpretation of 'pmedia=cd'.
Maybe more issues are lying...
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 05:35, edited 4 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]