Get All the Google Fonts for use with Gimp, Puppy, etc.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
svanya

Get All the Google Fonts for use with Gimp, Puppy, etc.

#1 Post by svanya »

Getting All 1100+ (minus just a few) of the Google Fonts for use with Gimp, Puppy, etc.

If you're like me you like choices.

And as I do a lot of verbo-visual work with Gimp, for my wordpress/facebook sites, etc. I wanted to have more fonts.

Didn't make any sense to me to just download a font at a time to use, so putting together what I found at: http://hail2u.github.io/google-webfonts-preview.html , gnumeric, geany, Gfontsel, UGet, and the shell I got all of them instead.

It's really pretty simple.

Instruction
  • First, create a folder outside of (if you've got a frugal install, if full it really doesn't matter as all of the files, originals+correctly named is only 137Mb) your save file, i.e. place on your hard drive.
  • Create 2 subfolders, 1 called: "ORIGINALS" and the other called "GoogleFonts" (no quotes on either name);
  • Create a symlink in your /root/.fonts folder to the GoogleFonts folder you just made (note: one of your Gimp fonts folder should point to /root/.fonts);
  • Download and extract the GetAllGoogleFonts.tar.gz file into the Main folder you just created;
  • Open UGet (prob. in your start menu under Network, I'm pretty sure it's also in the repo). and then File>Import text file...
  • Open the attached GoogleFonts_DownloadList_MASTER.txt file and then have UGet download them to the ORIGINALS Folder you just made,
  • Once UGet has finished downloading all the .ttf files (less than an hour I think), set the permissions on the shell script to executable
  • Run the script. It will copy the .ttf fonts files into the GoogleFonts folder with their correct names
NOTE: I am pretty sure I did this right, as when I cross-checked Gfontsel with http://hail2u.github.io/google-webfonts-preview.html they checked out.

NOTE:. while UGet downloads 1196 files, some don't get copied, I think this is because Google has multiple .ttf files which are actually the same font name,...maybe :-)

Do let me know if I miss aligned something.

If all goes well you should be able to see the fonts (tho it takes Gfontsel a few seconds to open now :-)) in Gfontsel and/or Gimp and you can compare what you see there to the Google Web Fonts Preview

Peace, glad to share the love. ...my grandfather was a type-setter, splains a lot, don't it. :-)

-Scott

P.S. Sometimes "genius" and "insanity" walk hand-in-hand. Better off, not to question it and just go where you love leads you. -peace
Attachments
GetAllGoogleFonts.tar.gz
(62.41 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

Since I do not have UGet I have used a little script to download the fonts using wget.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash -a
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

while read LINE
do
	wget "$LINE"
done < /root/Downloads/GoogleFonts_DownloadList_MASTER.txt

exit 0
Result was 1193 Fonts renamed from 1997 Fonts downloaded.

It took around two minutes incl. copying and renaming to original names.

Thanks for collecting the download links in a text file!

I have uploaded a .tar.gz Archive (33MB) containing all the renamed 1193 Fonts to datafilehost.com, which will stay at least for 90 days.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Thank you both.

svanya

#4 Post by svanya »

Kewl!!! Even better, well, actually WAY better on both counts!!! Peace thru PUPPY!!!

cimarron

#5 Post by cimarron »

Thanks for these! For those who don't want to install 65M of fonts, I made an SFS from Lazy Puppy's archive.

It's available on Dropbox here: google-fonts.sfs
(Fonts placed in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF)