[Legacy OS] Boot hangs after Xorg/Xvesa choice

Using applications, configuring, problems
gnomic

testing testing

#16 Post by gnomic »

Waiting with bated breath for the good news 8)

Monitor specs should be sniffed out via DDC (see for example en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel) on just about any screen made this century. Murphy strikes every now and then. Have tried Legacy on a couple of 17" CRTs, but not an LCD aside from on a laptop.

breversa

#17 Post by breversa »

Aww, sorry to keep you waiting, but I won't get to play with this lappie this week anymore (military reserve training is great, but takes a big bite on my geeking time !)...

However, I DO remember seeing stuff about DDC in the Xorg.0.log...

Just for the records, I'll see if the same happens with my other Belinea screen.

But don't hold your breath, I'd hate to lose my most active helper ! :D

gnomic

anything new?

#18 Post by gnomic »

Hi there, have you taken off the uniform yet, and got back to the geek?

breversa

#19 Post by breversa »

Hi gnomic, and sorry for the long wait. I actually gave a little up (does that phrase have any meaning ??), but following you previous message, I tried some more things :

- changing the screen did not produce anything different : switching form NEC MultiSync LV17m to Belinea screen gave the exact same result.

- booting on Toutou Linux, copying the xorg.conf file to a USB stick, rebooting on Legacy OS, letting xorgwizard fail, copying the xorg.conf file and trying to start X did not give anything good either (not even a useful error message).

Actually, I'm now a bit lost, as I don't even know where to look for clues, error messages, logs, etc. :-(

I'm thinking on giving up booting Legacy OS on this laptop, leave Toutou Linux as it is, and try Legacy OS on another old laptop I have (yeah, I do shop at my job's refuse bins :D )...

john biles

#20 Post by john biles »

Hello breversa,
Sorry to read about your woes with Legacy OS I hope another old Laptop brings you joy. It's funny but I have a number of test PC's / Laptops and they all boot up fine. I recently even installed Legacy OS on a Duo Core 2007 model Acer Laptop and everything works except Wifi due to the Broadcom Chip used. Not supported. That's OK as it duel boots with Kubuntu.

Also thank you gnomic for your ideas and time given to try and help breversa :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

breversa

#21 Post by breversa »

Hi John, and thanks for your thoughts.

I've not totally given up the idea yet, but meanwhile, you can at least except one more test report when I try the next laptop.

And BTW, if it works fine, I will probably give it to my younger cousin who'll mostly use for Facebook and stuff. However, she may not be fluent enough in english for an everyday all-english OS, so I'm wondering if translation/localisation would be possible ?

Of course, I'm not thinking of YOU personnaly translating the OS, but using the available localisation packages for the apps in Legacy OS.

As for the (untranslated) rest, you might want to check out the Toutou Linux (= french-translated Puppy Linux) page (http://www.moulinier.net/) and see if some of JJ Moulinier's work can be reused.

Of course, my assistance is at your disposal. ;)

gnomic

CyberBlade is go!

#22 Post by gnomic »

Just a wee footnote in history - got that Duron 900 desktop to run, with integrated Trident CyberBlade, and it booted Legacy OS on a KTC 15" LCD screen in 1024x768. So it's go figure? This particular CyberBlade is /i1 model, yours had a different suffix?

breversa

#23 Post by breversa »

Thread necromancy… because I SWORE I would reply one day ! :D

So though I haven't found a solution to the original issue, nor tried LegacyOS any longer, I recently discovered antiX, and it runs flawlessly on this ancient hardware !

So here it is : http://antix.mepis.org !