Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 17:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
[Legacy OS] Boot hangs after Xorg/Xvesa choice
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
breversa

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 08:51    Post subject:  [Legacy OS] Boot hangs after Xorg/Xvesa choice
Subject description: "Legacy OS is Probing your Video hardware, please wait..."

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, as I've tried Puppy Linux for the first time this week-end (yay, another new way to give a second life to old hardware ! Very Happy ).

I've successfully tried Puppy Linux 4.3.1, then Toutou Linux 4.3.1 (french version) on an old but improved Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 (Pentium III 700MHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD), built around 2000 I think (but über-equipped with diskette and CD-ROM drives, IR interface, 10/100MB NIC, dual PCMCIA cards reader... and WiFi too !! Very Happy ). Both run fine with Xorg graphic server.

I then decided to give Legacy OS 2010 (formerly TEENpup, right ?) a try.

It boots fine (although it does take a few minutes to copy pup_214.sfs to tmpfs), lets me choose my (french) keyboard layout and then pick either Xorg or Xvesa as X server.

However, both fail shortly after :

If I choose Xorg, I get

Code:
Legacy OS is Probing your Video hardware, please wait...
_

(the final underscore is a continuously blinking cursor)

If I choose Xvesa, I get

Code:
Type 'xwin' to start Xvesa graphics server.
cat: /etc/videomode: No such file or directory
cat: /etc/videomode: No such file or directory
Starting X with video mode  and mouse psaux...
_

(the same blinking cursor)

Nothing else happens afterwards (I've waited for 1/4h at least), the cursor just keeps blinking...

Any idea where this error comes from, and how to get Legacy OS to boot ? Maybe some boot parameters ?

Last edited by breversa on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 07:06; edited 2 times in total
gnomic

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 00:29    Post subject: Derivatives [Legacy OS] Boot hangs after Xorg/Xvesa choice  

This could have gone in the thread discussing whether Legacy boots or not. Avoiding forum clutter.

What is the video card in your machine? lspci command in a terminal will reveal the answer.

Can you get to a console by CTRL+ALT+F3? Any response to CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE?

xorgwizard might help if you can get to a prompt. Any special reason for using vesa instead of a specific driver for your video?
sneekylinux

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 15:10    Post subject:  

when trying it in xvesa,did you type xwin as it asked??
breversa

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 19:07    Post subject:  

Hi gnomic and sneekylinux, and thanks for replying ! Smile

The video card is apparently a Trident CyberBlade/XP.

Neither Ctrl+Alt+Fx nor Ctrl+Alt+Backspace give any result (no tty, no X reboot).

Nor can I get to any prompt, so I cannot try xorgwizard or xwin (the blinking cursor I get is no command prompt).

I have no special reason for Xvesa, except trying all the available options.
gnomic

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 21:27    Post subject: video problems Legacy  

Perhaps Legacy doesn't have the driver for your card? I will boot it later and see what drivers are supplied. Will try to report results in a day or two.

My silly question about why you were trying the vesa/xvesa options - that would be because it's one of the only choices you have in this situation Smile This is what happens when you lose the first version of a post and then try again in a hurry.

I think I have a similar chip in an old Tosh laptop, K6/400 Mhz. If I recall correctly this boots with antix. You might want to try the roughly 200MB live CD of antix.
breversa

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct 2010, 06:53    Post subject:  

Hi gnomic,

No worries ! I've never heard of antiX ; it looks like yet another distro for old hardware, right ? I'll try and give it a try, thanks for the hint. Smile

I played with Legacy OS a bit last night and discovered the following : if I Ctrl+C at the blinkking cursor, I DO get a prompt !

However, xorgwizard, xwin, startx, startfluxbox, startkde all do the same : they run xorgwizard which again lets me choose between Xorg and Xvesa... and hangs again afterwards. Confused
gnomic

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct 2010, 21:29    Post subject: magic incantation?  

'By default Lighthouse now boots with xforcevesa nomodeset to a prevent a blank screen with some display cards.'

Hi there, noticed this suggested boot parameter on the Lighthouse Pup site. Could be worth a try in your case, nowt to lose. Interesting that the system is actually booted. All you need now is a non-gui web browser like lynx, links, elinks etc, and you'll be away laughing Smile
gnomic

PostPosted: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 23:46    Post subject: trident driver in Legacy  

Hi there,
Looked in Legacy and found there is a trident driver included. So looks like that is not your problem here.

The Trident I have is actually on a desktop machine which has a dodgy BIOS, so haven't been able to check it out with Legacy as yet. I will drag it out of the cupboard at some stage.
breversa

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 03:18    Post subject:  

Hi gnomic, thanks for your time and sorry for the late reply (I had a very busy week-end). Smile

I tried to boot Legacy OS with
Code:
boot# puppy xforcevesa nomodeset
but still got the xorgwizard screen. However, I was not able to test what happens afterwards as the battery died and had no power cord handy.

I'll try again tonight (GMT+2), but as you say, I see no reason why Legacy OS would NOT have a driver that vanilla Puppy has.

So... any other idea, anyone ? Smile
breversa

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 03:38    Post subject:  

I might possibly be the silliest man on Earth : I forgot to add that this laptop no longer has a screen (it's been plied off because broken), and consequently, I'm using the video output to a standard LCD screen.

But that setup has always worked flawlessly "out of the box", be it to run Kubuntu, Mandriva, Puppy Linux, Toutou Linux, and even Legacy OS until the post-xorgwizard stage, so I don't think it would suddenly be a problem...
john biles

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 09:16    Post subject:  

Hello breversa,
As Legacy OS is based on Puppy 2.14 which was released 3 years ago maybe the monitor your using isn't supported?

Here's something interesting; Ubuntu 10.04 won't boot all the way in to a working desktop on this PC. Older versions of Ubuntu had no problem with it. I can't remember when the last distro didn't work!

It's hard even for Ubuntu to provide a distro that works with all hardware.

I can offer no solution, may be someone else can. Very Happy

breversa

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 09:28    Post subject:  

G'day John, and thanks for dropping by ! Smile

The LCD screen is a plain old 17" NEC MultiSync LV17m manufactured in 2004... Nothing exotic at all.

I feel that Legacy OS fails to "chain" to whatever comes after xorgwizard. Or more precisely, that xorgwizard fails to finish properly (I can kill it by Ctrl+C and then start it again...).

Which just made me think of this idea : since I can get a prompt by killing xorgwizard, maybe I can also have a look at some logs (I hope to find something useful in /var/log...) ! Smile
gnomic

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 00:24    Post subject: /etc/X11, .xsession-errors  

You might want to have a look in /etc/x11. Legacy is probably using xorg.conf. Sometimes there is a hidden file in the user's home directory called .xsession-errors. Or it could be hiding in /root.

You might try Xorg -configure in a terminal to see if that does anything sane. Or at a pinch, try an xorg.conf from one of the distros that have managed to get X Window up and see if that will work in Puppy.

Any chance by the way that the screenless lappie wants you to press some button to get output on the external screen? Suppose not, since you are getting some output.

LCD screens want to work at a specific resolution generally, and usually at lowish frequencies, often 60 Hz.

xrandr could be a command to fiddle about with.
gnomic

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 00:32    Post subject: @ John B re Ubuntah 10.04  

Hi John,

Have enjoyed using the fruits of your labour.

If 10.04 doesn't work on a machine where earlier versions did, could it be an example of the joys of kernel modesetting perhaps? New, improved, but sorry, no video output for you. Speaking as a proud owner of an Intel 852/855 GM machine - if I had a million dollars for every time I've been left staring at a blank screen with the only way out a hard reset/power cycle, I'd be pretty rich.
breversa

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 03:36    Post subject:  

NEWS !
(and erratum as well)

Contrary to what I said earlier, I CAN get to a prompt by Ctrl+Alt+Fx ! Smile

I had a look in /var/log (and especially Xorg.0.log), found out that the X config is saved in /root/xorg.conf.new, and when trying it with
Code:
X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
(as suggested in the log), all I get is a blank screen with the monitor OSD displaying IIRC "Frequency range out of bounds"... so you might just have pinpointed the issue here ! Wink

More news after my lunch break tests. Razz

(I'll definitely owe you one if it works, gnomic ! Very Happy )
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: