rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

cprivers

#32 Post by cprivers »

Thanks for the link.

gcmartin

Re: Starting Samba

#33 Post by gcmartin »

cprivers wrote:I know I must be missing something simple, but after downloading & installing the samba-tng pet in this thread I can't figure out how to start Samba! In Puppy 5 I used /"etc/rc.d/rc.samba start" and in Ubuntu I use "/etc/init.d/samba start", but these files don't exist on my Puppy 431 setup. What is the command to start the server?
Just saw this post to this thread.

In the distros you mentioned, they use "FULL - Original" SAMBA. They use that one because of the very large support community that exist thruout the world when users have questions. (We have to pay for this support from Microsoft)

In the Puppy community, you have 3 ... NO, 4 ... NO, 5 options for using Puppy (a RAM based distro) to share its files, folders, printers, music, pictures, video with everyone else of your LAN without adding software to any LAN user. The Puppy Options are:
  1. Mobeus's PET or SFS ... either works (FULL Samba)
  2. Shinobar's SFS - (FULL Samba)
  3. Rcrsn51's SFS - (fork of Samba)
  4. JRB's Distro (this thread gives you that)
  5. Kirk's 64bit PET (FULL Samba) found here
You should choose which of these, available solutions, best meets your needs.

FULL SAMBA, as I use it here means that all of the SAMBA tools are present where you expect them once SAMBA is installed and running. These tools are VERY-VERY (to me) important in use and diagnosis of server's behavior.

P.S. Barry K makes a solution available also for Quirky 1.3. See his PPM for it.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 09 Dec 2010, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

cprivers

#34 Post by cprivers »

Thanks GC.

Chuck
[i]It's always easy when you know how![/i]

gcmartin

Big PUP

#35 Post by gcmartin »

@JRB
I've got an idea. See your PM

p310don

#36 Post by p310don »

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help me with this one. I have been using pupserver for a few months now, and its great for other computers in my home lan, but, for some reason, I can't mount any shares using the samba share mounter on my nokia n900.

I have been able to do this in the past with file sharing in Ubuntu, but am trying to be puppy only. I think this is the only thing I miss from Ubuntu. What is the difference between the samba in this, and the samba that ubuntu might use? Should I try shinobar's full sfs of samba as mentioned a few posts up? Might try that anyway.

Thanks

Paul

jrb

#37 Post by jrb »

p310don wrote:What is the difference between the samba in this, and the samba that ubuntu might use?
This is an older version of samba chosen for its smaller size. The newer version provided by Shinobar might do it. Let us know what you find out.

Cheers, J

irishrm

pupserver 435 printing.

#38 Post by irishrm »

I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm

jrb

Re: pupserver 435 printing.

#39 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm
I booted pfix=ram (to make sure I hadn't done anything special to setup). Did all the usual keyboard, country, timezone, video, etc. Didn't do anything after X started (auto hookup of wired lan). Went to another computer running wary511 and used pnethood to access, user=root password=woofwoof, and then the same with lameexplorer. No problems.

Are you connected to network? Are you able to see your printer when you access CUPS on a client?
Attachments
pupserver_access2.jpg
left-pnethood right-lameexplorer
(48.23 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times

jrb

#40 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm
Just reread your post and realized it was your printer you wanted help with.

On your client open Setup->CUPS PrinterWizard->No->Printers and you should see the printer you have installed on Pupserver435. Just choose "Set as Default" and its a done deal.
Attachments
pupserver_cups2.jpg
Pupserver printer viewed from client
(68.14 KiB) Downloaded 1704 times

p310don

#41 Post by p310don »

Sorry to derail the thread a little, but I installed shinobar's samba sfs, which is newer than the samba in this pup, and it does work to browse files on my n900. Shame, I like the setup provided here more!

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

@irishrm: To access your Puppy shared printer from a client machine, read How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Lupu/Quirky/Wary

irishrm

#43 Post by irishrm »

jrb wrote: On your client open Setup->CUPS PrinterWizard->No->Printers and you should see the printer you have installed on Pupserver435. Just choose "Set as Default" and its a done deal.
I have two clients and all that shows up are the printers that are installed on the clients.

▼ Queue Name ▼ Description Location Make and Model Status
CUPS-PDF CUPS-PDF Ghostscript Idle
epson660 epson660 Epson Stylus Color 660 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Idle
pdf_writer PDF Local Printer Local Raw Printer Idle
i,e the above:

The printer installed on the server is an epson830u and appears to be working properly.
I tried the search for printers option but nothing showed up.
Maybe its a problem with the computer I'm using as a server. If I don't find a solution I might try setting the server up on a different computer.(I have three but they are all ancient, 10 yrs approx )

Anyway I must compliment you on the excellent puppy you have produced. Even without the printing option its extremely useful and so easy to setup.

Thanks again for your help-irishrm

jrb

#44 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:I have two clients and all that shows up are the printers that are installed on the clients.
When you open CUPS on your clients do they see the printers on the other clients? What version of Puppy are you using on the clients?

jrb

#45 Post by jrb »

p310don wrote:Sorry to derail the thread a little, but I installed shinobar's samba sfs, which is newer than the samba in this pup, and it does work to browse files on my n900. Shame, I like the setup provided here more!
I just uploaded
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 35tngG.iso.
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... so-md5.txt
This is the same Pupserver435 but using rcrsn51's tng samba server. Give it a try and see if your n900 will talk to it.

Good Luck, J

irishrm

#46 Post by irishrm »

jrb wrote: When you open CUPS on your clients do they see the printers on the other clients? What version of Puppy are you using on the clients?
I just see the printers installed on the individual computers.
I'm running Wary 5.1.1 on one client and lupu 5.1.1 on the other.
Would you recommend trying the server you have uploaded in the post on the previous page? If so I'll try it to-morrow-irishrm.

jrb

#47 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:
jrb wrote: When you open CUPS on your clients do they see the printers on the other clients? What version of Puppy are you using on the clients?
I just see the printers installed on the individual computers.
I'm running Wary 5.1.1 on one client and lupu 5.1.1 on the other.
Would you recommend trying the server you have uploaded in the post on the previous page? If so I'll try it to-morrow-irishrm.
I don't think that will make a difference. CUPS is the same in both. Let me try playing with some settings in Wary and lupu and I'll get back to you.

Cheers, J

p310don

#48 Post by p310don »

jrb wrote
I just uploaded
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 35tngG.iso.
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... so-md5.txt
This is the same Pupserver435 but using rcrsn51's tng samba server. Give it a try and see if your n900 will talk to it.

Good Luck, J
Sorry jrb, I have already tried rcrsn51's samba-tng pet, which is also great to set up like your PupServer, but the phone doesn't like it. I did pm with rcrsn51 earlier to let him know that the phone doesn't play nicely. It's just finicky.

I have two machines that are used as file servers, an old one, using pupserver435 and a newer machine with lupu running sambaTNG by rcrsn51. They are both great solutions for everything, except the nokia n900.

Seeing as though you have made it though, I will try your modified PupServerTNG and see if it plays any nicer.

Thanks, will let you know the results.

Paul

irishrm

cups printing

#49 Post by irishrm »

Thanks for that jrb but hold off an that for a while. I have a feeling that the problem is a bad download. I have just done a fresh download and run it with pfix=ram. I think it installed cleaner and I notice some differences in how its working. As soon as I get a chance I'll install it properly and have a go at setting up the printing. I'll post back and let you know how I get on. This is something I really want to get working thanks again-irishrm

p310don

#50 Post by p310don »

Samba mounting on the n900 works fine. Well, almost fine.

On the n900 there is an app called wizard mounter that mounts samba shares. This does not work with standard pupserver, nor pupserverTNG, not samba TNG.pet etc. It does work with shinobar's samba sfs.

If I go into the command line, I can mount any type of samba share using -
mount -t cifs //<server>/<path> /<your>/<local>/<path> -o user=<user>,pass=<pass>,ip=<ip of server>,direct
Works, but not pretty. So thanks guys for your help making the different servers etc, but the problem is in the phone app, not puppy anything. Might have to get onto them to make it puppy compatible!!