How to Use Samba-TNG Server in Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
ralplpcr

#136 Post by ralplpcr »

ralplpcr wrote:<snip>
I'll try sharing them individually to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then I just need to figure out how to make my smb.conf organize them better. </snip>
That was the issue. As soon as I set "disk3" to have it's own share (and mount under it's own drive letter), the error message went away. :D

Of course, now I have some random "network resource has gone away" errors... but I don't think that's Samba's fault. More than likely because I've got it temporarily hooked up via wireless until I can get it running and moved back to it's normal home.

Anybody have ideas how to tweak smb.conf to keep them under a single share?

rcrsn51

#137 Post by rcrsn51 »

What is the combined size of the three drives? Maybe the movies share has exceeded some allowable maximum.

ralplpcr

#138 Post by ralplpcr »

The three drives are as follows:
1tb, 1.5tb, 1tb

They're formatted NTFS, so overall available size is around 3.1tb.

Although it's not *exactly* how I want it, as long as I set each individual drive as a share in smb.conf, it does work well.

I don't see any limit anywhere within the share, but I am still somewhat of a novice with Linux. Any suggestions where I might check for this limit?

rcrsn51

#139 Post by rcrsn51 »

ralplpcr wrote:They're formatted NTFS, so overall available size is around 3.1tb.
That would seem to be the answer. You have a non-network-aware application trying to access a single drive Z: that is exceeding the standard 2 TB limit for Windows.

Maybe for the purposes of your burning program, you could map Z: to movies/disk3.

ralplpcr

#140 Post by ralplpcr »

rcrsn51 wrote:You have a non-network-aware application trying to access a single drive Z: that is exceeding the standard 2 TB limit for Windows.
I thought of that, but it doesn't make sense how it worked that way when I had them running in the 2003 server using that setup. If that's the case, then I wonder what will happen when I replace one of those drives with a 3TB drive, as I was planning to do in the near future? Will I be able to "see" it at all?

For that matter, I certainly hope that Puppy can mount it - - being only 32 bit. I had heard that kernel support was present for a few years now for larger drives, but worst case I can migrate from Slacko 5.6 to something like FatPup.

In any case, I do appreciate your help and patience! :) Even if I can't make it work exactly as I used to have it, I'm still quite pleased that it's working... and I can adjust to having to do things a little differently.

ralplpcr

UPDATE: Success!

#141 Post by ralplpcr »

Just giving an update:

It involved a little trickery, but I have now successfully mounted and shared my 3 drives under a single drive letter. My non-network aware ripping program on WinXP is completely "tricked", and will correctly save it's output to whichever of the 3 drives I choose now.

The secret is in how the drives are mounted, and where. Here's the Samba-autostart settings that did the trick:

Code: Select all

#Mount any shared drives here:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /movies
mkdir /movies/disk2
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /movies/disk2
mkdir /movies/disk3
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /movies/disk3

#Start the Samba-TNG server
samba-start
Xdialog --title " " --infobox "Samba-TNG started" 0 0 2000
You'd think that I could create the "disk2" and "disk3" directories once, rather than at each bootup, but for some reason when I mount the /movies directory, it seems to hide anything that's already in there.

What I end up seeing is over 3TB of data mapped to a single drive letter on a 32bit WinXP. The 1.5TB drive and 2nd 1TB drive map perfectly under pseudo-directories "disk2" and "disk3", and Windows only sees the full size of disk1 as 1TB.

On to the next challenge now!

don570

#142 Post by don570 »

I'm having trouble downloading samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1.pet from the
first page but here's an alternate link...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... .5-rc1.pet

don570

#143 Post by don570 »

Download from first post now works 8)

rcrsn51

#144 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for reporting this. This was one of many attachments that got deleted by the new forum download restrictions.

n3w_puppy

#145 Post by n3w_puppy »

Hello,

I have problems with samba share on my 2 computers running dual boot XP & Puppy Precise 5.7.1. installed on HDD Linux partition.

I installed samba TNG Server on both computers and configured according to first page tutorial ( ... I think ) but when I try to connect from one computer to another YASSM see the server and shares but at mount I get error: No connection to ...( share name ). :evil:
No difference if I try to use IP address or computer name. :evil:

With Puppy I can access share from XP on both computers but from XP of course I can't access shares from Puppy. :evil:

I disabled firewall ( I think ) on both computers to eliminate this problem but still no luck.

Can anybody try tp help me to solve this problem, I lost many days & nights and now at 02:45 am, I still can't find the problem after deleting samba config & reinstalling TNG...

Don't think it matter but on both computers OS is installed something like this:
sda1 NTFS - XP
sda2
sda6 FAT32 - share
sda7 ext4 - Puppy
sda5 linux-swap
sdb1 usb hdd NTFS - share

thank you.

p.s.
Python share I tested and it is working but I need samba to share the same like in XP.

rcrsn51

#146 Post by rcrsn51 »

From the main instructions:
If the client machine is using a recent 3.x kernel, please see the note in YASSM regarding the sec=ntlm option.
At the YASSM login screen, there is an Options line. Enter "sec=ntlm".
but from XP of course I can't access shares from Puppy.
This is a separate issue. If you create the desktop shortcut "\\pupserver", what happens when you click on it?

rcrsn51

#147 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply? That's too bad. If there is a problem, your contribution would be useful to other community members.

n3w_puppy

#148 Post by n3w_puppy »

At the YASSM login screen, there is an Options line. Enter "sec=ntlm". 
I just wake up ( I'm still a zombie ) and tested, this saved my day, now it is working.

thank you for help, now I can move further with share configure - testing.

rmcellig

#149 Post by rmcellig »

Please note: Some modern devices like tablets or smartphones cannot access Samba-TNG shares due to a problem with authentication. There are two work-arounds: install a full-scale Samba package or put Samba-TNG in no-login mode.

Can you explain this further or point me to how I can do a full-scale Samba install as mentioned and how to put Samba-TNG in no-login mode ?

I'm using Tahr 6.0.3 frugal install. I'm using a Nexus 7 tablet as well.

Thanks![/quote]

Jose A. Senna

rpcclient

#150 Post by Jose A. Senna »

I installed samba-tng in this Pentium 2 computer, under Racy 5.5
When I try to use rpcclient to change the password, this happens:

[ROOT@.}$ ntpass root
SAM NT Password Change
Old password for INFOWAY/root: woofwoof
User: root Domain: INFOWAY
New password: ********
retype: ********
rpc_check_hdr: fault pdu status: 0x1c010002
rpc_check_hdr: failed. 1 1 0
rpc_con_pipe_req: op_num 0x38 failed
ntpass: FAILED
[ROOT@.]$

Where the ******** stands for the new password.
Should this happen ?

rcrsn51

#151 Post by rcrsn51 »

Where the ******** stands for the new password.
Should this happen ?
Here is the better way to change the password.
Samba keeps its own set of passwords - it doesn't care about the Puppy versions. So you might want to change the Samba server root password to something more secure than "woofwoof".

rpcclient
$deluser root
$createuser root -p newpassword
$quit

rcrsn51

#152 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply?

Jose A. Senna

rpcclient

#153 Post by Jose A. Senna »

rcrsn51 said:
> Here is the better way to change the password.

I did try this too, and deluser also fails.

rcrsn51

Re: rpcclient

#154 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jose A. Senna wrote: I did try this too, and deluser also fails.
Some details would be nice.

I tested this in Wary55 and it worked correctly.
Also, the Samba server must be running in order for rpcclient to work.

highway_man

pupserver in Win 10

#155 Post by highway_man »

I have a Samsung printer connected via LPT port to a P3 computer with Precise 5.7.1. At one time (with Windows 7) I was able to use the puppy as a print server. Then I went to USB. Now, the USB port no longer works on the printer, but the LPT port does. So, I am trying to salvage a working laser printer.

I'm trying re-connect my laptop (Win10) to the networked printer. However, I cannot "see" the Puppy computer or the printer.

\\pupserver
does not work.

If I go to explorer, I do see:
RalinkLinuxClient

But I am unable to do anything with it. I have as much access as I do my Roku. They appear on the list, but no connection.

I am pretty sure that my setup worked before. I also set up files too, so those should appear, but they do not. Is it possible that Win 10 won't connect??