Lucid Puppy Quickset edition (LupQ-511)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ferro10n

Re: LupQ doesn't recognize lupusave

#106 Post by ferro10n »

shinobar wrote:
ferro10n wrote:I've been testing LupQ and hadn't got any problems. Except for this: it doesn't recognize my lupusave file.
LupQ reads 'lupqsave.?fs' where '?' can be 2-4.
Try with a copy of your lupusave as lupqsave.

But you are better to make new lupqsave.
Then click the old lupusave to mount.
You can copy some files you want from the old lupusave.
I did save my session file as lupqsave, but the problem persists. When I reboot the computer, the CD just spins for a while, until Windows XP starts, meaning that the lupqsave in my USB drive wasn't detected. I tried formatting my flash drive and saving a new lupqsave file, with same results. I don't have this problem with official builds of Puppy.
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

shinobar

#107 Post by shinobar »

ferro10n wrote:When I reboot the computer, the CD just spins for a while, until Windows XP starts,
It is not the savefile problem. Puppy can boot up without savefiles.
There are three possible causes:
  1. BIOS setting
  2. CD drive troubele
  3. CD media trouble
The last is most probable when you can boot off from another live CDs on the same PC.
If you mean the live CD can boot up on a PC but cannot on another PC, most probable is the first. Or the PC cannot boot up from CD at all.
ferro10n wrote:I tried formatting my flash drive and saving a new lupqsave file,
Do you mean you can boot LupQ but only once?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

ferro10n

#108 Post by ferro10n »

shinobar wrote:There are three possible causes:
  1. BIOS setting
  2. CD drive troubele
  3. CD media trouble
The last is most probable when you can boot off from another live CDs on the same PC.
If you mean the live CD can boot up on a PC but cannot on another PC, most probable is the first. Or the PC cannot boot up from CD at all.
Currently I'm working with the same computer everytime, but I learned to set up the BIOS so that I can boot from other computers, too. I haven't tried burning a new LupQ CD because it doesn't seem to be damaged or else.
shinobar wrote:Do you mean you can boot LupQ but only once?
Yes, I can boot the LupQ CD only once if my flash drive remains plugged. When I remove my flash drive, the LupQ CD boots as a first-run session, losing all the data (installed applications, SFS files, customized setup, etc.) that I usually save to a save-file in my flash drive. Since it's just one computer for me and my brothers and sisters, I can't install Puppy, I rely on save-files so that I can use Puppy without having to install and setup everything again and again. I also increase RAM by storing 1GB save-file.
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

shinobar

#109 Post by shinobar »

ferro10n wrote:When I remove my flash drive, the LupQ CD boots as a first-run session, losing all the data (installed applications, SFS files, customized setup, etc.) that I usually save to a save-file in my flash drive. Since it's just one computer for me and my brothers and sisters, I can't install Puppy, I rely on save-files so that I can use Puppy without having to install and setup everything again and again. I also increase RAM by storing 1GB save-file.
Still i suspect the BIOS.
In your case, LupQ can boot up without flash drive, but with flash drive, Windows starts up instead of LupQ, right?
In usual case, Puppy boots up without savefile if it could not recognize the drive. Or, in some case it cannot find its system files, the PC hungs up. Never starts Windows.

The behavior of your PC seams:
First try is the CD for boot, if it fails, next try the HDD.
But when the USB drive is found, it tries the USB drive instead of the CD, and the USB drive fails, then move to HDD, skipping CD...

Two proposal:
One is to install LupQ on the flash drive.
  1. Boot up LupQ without the flash drive.
  2. Plug in the flash drive and format it with vfat64, set the boot flag on the flash drive partition using GParted.
  3. Use the 'Frugal installer' on LupQ to install Lupq. I do not recommend the Universal Installer.
  4. Run Grub4Dos config and install the boot loader on the flash drive.
  5. Reboot PC
Second is to put the savefile(lupqsave) on the HDD.
You can restrict all the Puppy stuff only in one folder. You need not install the boot loader but you can boot up from the live CD. This way is harmless if the drive has enough space(1GB or more free).
Make a folder say 'puppy' on the top layer of any drive(partition) on the HDD.
Use the PupsaveConfig where to save the session and the main sfs.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

zulhilmi

#110 Post by zulhilmi »

no new release??

sunburnt

#111 Post by sunburnt »

Google Chrome CLI options. Thanks Semme.
http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-co ... -switches/

I use: google-chrome --user-data-dir=( /PathTo/Configs.)

It puts all of the user stuff, the cache included into the selected path.

I also add: google-chrome --disk-cache-size=( Cache size in bytes.)

It limits the cache size, mine was 335 MB !!!
It`s now 58 MB, but should be at 20 MB that I set it for...

rmcellig

#112 Post by rmcellig »

Where exactly do I put this:

Launch the chrome/iron with '--disk-cache-dir="/mnt/home/tmp/cache"' option

gychang

Re: Crome/Iron cache outside save file

#113 Post by gychang »

Bert wrote:
shinobar wrote:
Bert wrote:
* typing 'chrome --disk-cache-dir="/mnt/home/tmp/cache" ' in the console, sends the cache to /mnt/home/tmp/cache for that session.

* adding the parameter to the desktop Browse icon (right-click>edit item>arguments to pass, makes it persistent.

Right?
Gratefully,
Bert
1) am confused, first rather than chrome, it should be google-chrome?
2) do I find the Browse icon here (/usr/share/applications/defaultbrowser.desktop) and edit item-argument to pass --disk-cache-dir="/mnt/home/tmp/cache"? (after making directories) when I try to launch I get an error Failed to execute child process "/usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop" (Permission denied).

help please

hamoudoudou

LICK new version will work for Puppies juste released 2018.

#114 Post by hamoudoudou »

LICK new version will work for Puppies juste released 2018. But information in this topic answer most of my questions.
Create xenialpup.exe... Good idea. Same Stretchpup.exe ...