Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 19:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppylinux for the OLPC laptops: XOpup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 21 [306 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec 2010, 03:45    Post subject: XOpup-2.v3  

Just before the Holidays (you all have a happy one Very Happy ) another development release of XOpup-2, XOpup-2.v3 (md5sum: 8faa52841fd596d1b266e2c8bd494863).
This one addresses an issue in XO-1 and ext2/3 formatted media (backwards compatibility of ext4 is not so good in puppy). Improves power management and networking and has some more cleanup and moving things to "extra_pets". See the change log for more.

Assuming that this gets some testing ( Rolling Eyes ) the next one could be the final.
The only thing I would like to improve is to get power management to work seamlessly in "aggressive" conditions, eg powering off CPU after 10-15 secs of inactivity. This should seriously improve battery life in normal use. Is almost there for the XO-1.5 but not the XO-1 yet.

As always any other input/suggestion is appreciated.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 03:53    Post subject: XOpup-2 Release Candidate  

The new version of XOpup-2 (xopup-200) has reached Release Candidate status Very Happy

Download: XOpup-2.RC.tar.gz
md5sum: 2ea3773984a0dafd1736e13f0666e52d

The main changes compared to XOpup-1.0 are:
    Moved to "xopup" SFS names instead of "lupu"
    Comparable support for XO-1 and XO-1.5
    New olpc-2.6.35-based kernels for both the XO-1 and the XO-1.5 (a new 2.6.31 kernel for the XO-1 is also provided)
    New XO-1.5 video driver
    XO camera support through the wxCam application
    Moving (not very much used) apps and functions out of the main SFS file to make room for "kids" apps. The main SFS is now only 92MB.
    Removed apps are now provided as pets in the "extra_pets" folder included in the download.
    External monitor/projector, firewall and bluetooth support
    Improvements in savefile handling
    Better power management
    Updated XO-version-specific Quickpet and PPM repo data
    New background (to distinguish the builds Smile )

See the build announcement and change log for more info.

01micko

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 05:45    Post subject:  

Downloading now, more or less for a sanity check Wink

Cheers Very Happy

rrolsbe

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan 2011, 13:18    Post subject: Thanks, I will give the RC a go
Subject description: Other questions, regarding the XO

Since very few people participate in this thread, I hope lots of people are at least downloading the Puppy for XO iso and trying it out. I have been recently browsing using a WPA2 wireless encrypted connection on my XO-1.0. Maybe it's just me but it seems a lot slower than connecting directly via a wired connection? I have been reading about the new XO-1.75 OLPC's based on an ARM processor and discussions about porting Puppy to the ARM processor camp. Since Redhat has ported some portion of Linux code base to the ARM based XO, how hard would it be to port Puppy to the new ARM based XO-1.75? Since it appears the the mother board in the new XO-1.75 is the only big change, maybe they will sell the motherboard using the ARM to allow upgrading existing XO-1.0/1.5 owners (YEAH RIGHT!!!!).

Keep up the great work and I thank the both of you for your efforts.

Regards, Ron
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011, 03:14    Post subject:  

Hi Ron,
Unfortunately, my hosting server does not provide download stats so I do not really know if 10s, 100s or 1000s have downloaded XOpup Crying or Very sad .
Forum wisdom says that about 1% provides feed back so we have to hope for that in this case too...

Regarding ARM, Debian/Ubuntu already run on it and the Fedora12/13 port is almost finished. So (last famous words...) should not be too difficult to get puppy going as soon as the XO-spesific kernels are out.

The real problem is, if the machines will be available outside deployments. At least with the XO-1.5 that is only available to deployments and developers, I have the sense that I'm the only one that uses puppy on this hardware... Rolling Eyes
So unless XO-1.75s become freely available, I hardly see the need/opportunity for puppy (or any other distro) on this hardware.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 03:14    Post subject: xopup-200 update-1  

This a small xopup-200 update with a couple of additions and fixes.
xopup_200_update-1.pet has zigbert's resizable PPM UI and fixes the PPM-configure layout (01micko). Also includes an addition to quickpet to directly download the xopup_devx_200.sfs (01micko). Finally fixes the time-change-after-reboots issue on the XO-1 (pls report on this one).

l2ulinux

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 09:43    Post subject:  LiveCD
Subject description: info

Can you build a livecd to try with other systems. Please Help
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan 2011, 07:59    Post subject: Re: LiveCD  

l2ulinux wrote:
Can you build a livecd to try with other systems. Please Help

XOpup runs olny on the OLPC XO-1 and XO-1.5 hardware (that do not have a CD drive).

For other hardware just use one of the official puppies and/or pupplets

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan 2011, 01:51    Post subject: Any help on using the OpenMESH idea in other hardware  

I would love to get my hands on one of those to play with, but I really would like to use puppylinux to setup a network like the normal OLPC hardware does.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan 2011, 06:53    Post subject: Re: Any help on using the OpenMESH idea in other hardware  

Ted Dog wrote:
I would love to get my hands on one of those to play with

For an XO-1, try eBay or the Contributors program

Ted Dog wrote:
but I really would like to use puppylinux to setup a network like the normal OLPC hardware does.

??? Confused
You mean "mesh" or "ad-hoc", other?

rrolsbe

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb 2011, 10:44    Post subject: RC looks great so far.
Subject description: Just one suggestion

I almost always use a USB mouse. Would be nice if the screen came out of power save when I move the external mouse.

Love the wall paper!!! Thanks for all the hard work.

Regards, Ron
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb 2011, 04:34    Post subject: Re: RC looks great so far.
Subject description: Just one suggestion

rrolsbe wrote:
I almost always use a USB mouse. Would be nice if the screen came out of power save when I move the external mouse.

Hi Ron,
I was busy with other things (see below) thus the delayed response.

I'm afraid this is not going to happen soon Sad . It requires the full HAL and freedesktop xkb compatibility and their inclusion will make the build several MB bigger, not to mention I'm not sure it will work Embarassed .

I would guess for now, just change the dim timing to something less intrusive. Type "powerd-config" and after you change it type "powerd-config =restart" to take immediate effect.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb 2011, 04:37    Post subject: XOpup-2.RC2 (xopup-201)  

The second release candidate build of XOpup-2 (xopup-201) has landed.

It has a number of under-the-hood, changes and updates (see the change log).
The new things for the user are:

The addition of Openbox/Fbpanel window manager as the default WM (01micko). Openbox is much more user friendly and feature-full than JWM (and thus a bit slower) and importantly, screen-rotation aware.
You can switch back and forth the 2 WM with the new switch desktop utility.

Implementation of screen rotation for both the XO-1 and XO-1.5, either with rotation button or with the new, rotate screen, menu entry. Rotation 90 or 270 degrees has a little bug in the touchpad rotation. The cursor freezes and to revive it you must have a(ny) keyboard key pressed. Even a dead key like the "journal" or the "double rectangle" key. An external USB mouse is OK though. I find it is still usable as a book reader since in this mode you do/can not use the touchpad anyway.

Inclusion of shinobar's "fsf_load on the fly" utility that I think is extremely useful, particularly for a limited resources machine like the XO-1.

Download and install XOpup-2.RC2.tar.gz (md5sum: a75e3c00dfbe3f4fb6cbed8143a6b577). If you already using xopup-200 should/will auto-update your installation so you can keep the same savefile.

Have fun and please report any issues so we can get to XOpup-2 "final"

PS: Hmm, looking at the picture, I should probably change home.html a bit... Very Happy

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb 2011, 00:04    Post subject:  

I've come across a strange bug.

On my SD card in the XO-1 my savefile is said to be PUPMODE=12 Shocked

I am not saving to a fast partition so the only possible pupmodes should be 6 or 13.
Code:

# cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
PUPMODE=12
PDEV1='mmcblk0p1'
DEV1FS='vfat'
PUPSFS='mmcblk0p1,vfat,/xopup-201.sfs'
PUPSAVE='mmcblk0p1,vfat,/xopupsave-xotest.3fs'
PMEDIA=''
#v3.97: kernel with libata pata has both sata and pata drives in ATADRIVES...
ATADRIVES=''
#these directories are unionfs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_rw'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the xopupsave file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV=''
#complete set of modules in the initrd (moved to main f.s.)...
ZDRVINIT='yes'
PSWAPFILE='mmcblk0p1,vfat,/pupswap.swp'
PSAVEMARK=''
FASTPARTS=''

On my usb drive it is ok:
Code:

# cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
PUPMODE=13
PDEV1='sda1'
DEV1FS='ext2'
PUPSFS='sda1,ext2,/xopup-201.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sda1,ext2,/xopupsave-xousb.3fs'
PMEDIA=''
#v3.97: kernel with libata pata has both sata and pata drives in ATADRIVES...
ATADRIVES=''
#these directories are unionfs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_ro1'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the xopupsave file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV=''
#complete set of modules in the initrd (moved to main f.s.)...
ZDRVINIT='yes'
PSWAPFILE='sda1,ext2,/pupswap.swp'
PSAVEMARK=''
FASTPARTS=''

Note that with both they are unmounted cleanly at shutdown. I wonder if some of these issues are medium specific? Confused Or even filesystem specific. Note my SD card is formatted FAT32 and the usb drive ext2.

Cheers

mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb 2011, 02:32    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
I've come across a strange bug.

On my SD card in the XO-1 my savefile is said to be PUPMODE=12 Shocked

I am not saving to a fast partition so the only possible pupmodes should be 6 or 13.
On my usb drive it is ok:

I'm not sure is a bug or intentional by BK.
The SDcard is correctly recognized as "slowparts" in the init, however when it looks for "removable", it only looks into "/sys/block/sda". For cards the script points "/sys/block/mmc" and the cards are "mmcblk0" ,1 ,2 etc so does not see them as removable. This is actually nice since you avoid the long shutdown times (though jamesbond's latest -s16 - snapmergepuppy does wonders on that) and everything is saved on the card immediately.

You can easily change that by adding "pmedia=usbflash" in the command line arguments of /boot/olpc.fth and then SDcards are showing as "7" and "13"

However this does not change the lasy (non-clean) umount of the save layer. Confused

01micko wrote:
Note that with both they are unmounted cleanly at shutdown. I wonder if some of these issues are medium specific? Confused Or even filesystem specific. Note my SD card is formatted FAT32 and the usb drive ext2.
Cheers

Well, you don't expect to see any "journal recovery" in vfat and ext2 Wink

Page 7 of 21 [306 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: