Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 17:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppylinux for the OLPC laptops: XOpup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 21 [306 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov 2010, 15:31    Post subject:  

OK Ron thanks,
nothing suspicious there.

Check your PM Wink

mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 01:58    Post subject: openchrome driver  

If you are one of the rare few with an XO-1.5, I have compiled the latest openchrome driver from source (snv 886), and now XO-1.5 is almost in par with the XO-1 Very Happy
The annoying camera light is gone but most important, does not freeze the computer on video playback.
Get the openchrome_svn886-2.pet from HERE

You may also find interesting Wink a new 2.6.35 kernel for the XO-1.5. Needs further testing but shows improved wakeup from sleep behavior.
You can download boot15.tar.gz (md5sum 1ca171f9d97a81cddcc783a255f720e9). Extract it and replace the boot15 folder of XOpup-1.0

01micko

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 03:01    Post subject:  

Hi mavrothal

I will give the kernel a spin tonight.

The woofed up spup I built has geode and openchrome drivers Very Happy , but the older ones Sad .. still could be worth my while to knock up a different flavour of xopup!

Cheers

mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 03:17    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:

I will give the kernel a spin tonight.

FYI, the initrd/kernel is for XO-1.5 only.

01micko

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 03:18    Post subject:  

Embarassed .. yes denoted by the big 15

Well the spup experiment then!

Cheers!

mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec 2010, 08:41    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
:
Well the spup experiment then!

Yep ... That would be interesting Very Happy

BTW I was looking through packages to cut from XOpup. Mostly apps that are highly unlikely to be used because of the hardware limitations.

First in my list is sane/xsane. The XO does not look like a machine to hook to a scanner. And that's a good 3MB compressed
Then, is the 9(!) cd/dvd apps and infrastructure. Again I do not see going around with the XO and a portable CD/DVD. About 0.5MB
Of cource the infamous 4 calculators could be cut down to by one
I also belive the gtkam/libgphoto can go. The XO is an unlikely machine to manipulate your camera and store the (5-12 megapixel) photos. That's 2+MB
Gnumeric can also go, but mtcell is really rudimentary as a spreadsheet app. I would rather have nothing instead. And that's 5+MB.
Finally is CUPS/printing. I personally like trees Very Happy but I can see people wanting out of the box printing. So I'm not sure about this but that's another 3+MB...

These could be provided as one or multiple SFS/pets within the distributed tarball and people can decide what to use and when.

Frankly I do not see the XO as a "production machine". Is OK on the road and to work on something while at it, but hardly your (western adult) only machine.
The additional benefit of the trimming is that you release resources that may be used to run more kids/young-adults-oriented apps, in accordance with the XO target demographics. If not you just have a more responsive machine Wink Very Happy

Opinions?...

Edit: with these changes and the insertion of the 5MB wxcam+dependencies package so the XO-1[.5] camera works, the sfs is only 93MB. Not bad Very Happy More important, it works Laughing

rrolsbe

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec 2010, 16:08    Post subject: Booting XO-1.0 from an externally USB attached SATA SSD
Subject description: What would be required to boot from a USB SSD with XOpup files on NTFS partition

This question applies to booting from a USB attached device having an NTFS partition. I can attach a USB flash drive with a (FAT16/32 Ext2/3) file system (with the proper Puppy files) and boot into either my ASUS netbook or OLPC XO-1. If I put the files required to boot Puppy onto a USB attached SSD having an NTFS partition (set up to boot into Windows XP when attached directly to the Netbook SATA connector), is it possible to boot Puppy 5.11 on a standard Netbook and/or the OLPC XO-1 platforms?

Until the last few days, this thread had been deafening quiet for a long time! Maybe there is only a handful of people interested in running XOPup on their XO-1.0/1.5 hardware?

Regards, Ron
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec 2010, 18:15    Post subject: Re: Booting XO-1.0 from an externally USB attached SATA SSD
Subject description: What would be required to boot from a USB SSD with XOpup files on NTFS partition

rrolsbe wrote:

Until the last few days, this thread had been deafening quiet for a long time! Maybe there is only a handful of people interested in running XOPup on their XO-1.0/1.5 hardware?

Regards, Ron

Sorry Ron, can't help with the ntfs issue but your comment is sure on the mark! How can we fix that? Rolling Eyes
I can create a website I suppose, put in some meta tags that attract some interest perhaps. What do people think of that idea?

Cheers

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec 2010, 18:17    Post subject:  

Ron,
you can not use the same files to boot a “regular’ laptop and the XO-1/1.5 and this is because the XOs require both a special kernel and a special “BIOS”. For these reasons NTFS support is not even activated in the XOpup kernel. Other than that though, the differences are few and the general user experience is comparable.

Regarding the use of the XOpup, I think that indeed in the “wild” eg outside school deployments, there are not many XOs running. I guestimate that by now maybe few thousands XO-1s and few dozens XO-1.5. Mostly in the hands of experienced linux users or developers that can address many issues by themselves. Is also possible that XOpup runs so nice that people have nothing to ask/fix Razz

Seriously though, as I said above,my idea behind XOpup is besides providing a more usable adult XO, to also become a more efficient kids computer, as originally designed for. But this requires more effort and knowledge than what I can provide and as you pointed out people are not quite flocking this thread. But there is not much that can be done about it I’m afraid

rrolsbe

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec 2010, 09:40    Post subject: More clarification to my last post
Subject description: Want to use SSD like I do a USB Stick

mavrothal

Thanks for the reply. My previous post wasn't as clear as it should have been. I do NOT want to run Windows on the XO. What I what to do is use my new cheap 32GB SSD as I would a normal USB flash stick (It just happens to also contain the files to boot into Windows XP when directly attached to the internal SATA connection). I know one set of Puppy boot files is needed on a USB stick to boot my ASUS netbook and another different set to boot my XO. After booting into either machine, I can attach my SSD, via a USB adapter, then mount the NTFS partition and read/write the files. I suspect it is the initrd.gz file on the netbook side and the initrd.img file on the XO side that doesn't have the wherewithal to communicate with the NTFS partition during boot-up. Guess I could reinstall Windows XP on a FAT32 partition, on my 32G SATA SSD, but that has issues on the Windows side.

What I like about using this SSD as a stick is the following.

1. Reads/writes way faster than a normal USB stick
2. Performs garbage collection
3. I can run a program that will issue the ATA Trim commands to erase the unused NAND read blocks for previously deleted files. This can be done booted into Windows with the OCZ Wiper.exe program for a NTFS partition; likewise, can be done using Linux and the wiper.sh/hdparm for ext2/3 partitions (I do this currently on my other SSD using Puppy to statically trim the UNMOUNTED ext2 partition containing Ubuntu and my Puppy boot files).
4. Is cheaper than a 32G class 10 SDHC card and the faster USB sticks

NOTE: 2 and 3 above are not available on any low cost USB/SDHC sticks.

Regards, Ron
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec 2010, 11:03    Post subject:  

So let me understand you want to boot Windows, Puppy and XOpup from the same NTFS formatted SSD?. If yes you need to install grub on your SSD. However, I believe that the XO OFW does not support NTFS booting, so is a no-go for the XO.

Which one (brand/model) is the SSD you said? Wink

rrolsbe

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec 2010, 11:34    Post subject: Close to what I want to do
Subject description: No go booting from USB attached NTFS partition on XO

mavrothal

My plan was to take the SSD out of the Netbook and attach it to a USB port when I want to boot into Puppy on the XO (think of it just as if it were a Big/Fast USB stick). Oh, I remember now that the OFW doesn't support NTFS at boot time. The SSD is a low-end SATA OCZ 32G Onyx I purchased for $40 after rebate. They had the 30G Vertex for the same price after rebate a week later. The 30G Vertex is two steps above the Onyx performance wise but connected to a SATA I/USB 2.0 bus probably not much difference performance wise over the Onyx. Of course, other than sacrificing 2G the Vertex is the better deal.

Thanks for the reply.
Regards, Ron

mavrothal wrote:
So let me understand you want to boot Windows, Puppy and XOpup from the same NTFS formatted SSD?. If yes you need to install grub on your SSD. However, I believe that the XO OFW does not support NTFS booting, so is a no-go for the XO.

Which one (brand/model) is the SSD you said? Wink
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec 2010, 04:49    Post subject: XOpup-2.v1  

So I did go ahead and made a new XOpup, the first in the XOpup-2.0 road that has a number of apps and infrastructure provided as pets outside the main SFS that is now only 92MB.
Adding the pets back you come pretty close to the original XOpup-10 but with camera support via xwCam and the new 2.6.35 kernel.

See the build announcement and the change log for more
Then get XOpup-2.v1.tar.gz (md5sum: 8818d361df984041431a2f20977ab97e) for a ride.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec 2010, 13:52    Post subject:  

There is a bug in the new kernels that prevents the XO to suspend on user inactivity.
Install this pet to fix it (need to reboot)
powerdfix-1.pet
Description  idle suspend fix for XOpup-2.v1
pet

Download 
Filename  powerdfix-1.pet 
Filesize  387 Bytes 
Downloaded  260 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec 2010, 04:00    Post subject: XOpup-2.v2  

v2 of XOpup-2 is out.
This one has better power management, USB-to-VGA adapter support and other fixes and cleanup.
See the change log and build announcement for more.
Get it HERE (md5sum: f7fba544d7a8b4763f29b4ae2c710aba)

BTW in contrast to 2.v1, XOpup-2.v2 also works with the previous kernels. Eg you can only replace the lupu-511.sfs file in your XO-1.0 setup.

Page 6 of 21 [306 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: