What's this .pet package ? pacman-2.9.8.pet

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
dog_dancer

What's this .pet package ? pacman-2.9.8.pet

#1 Post by dog_dancer »

whats up

I was jus lookin for the pac-man game lol, but i found this pet and I installed it and I realize it wasnt the game , I think is the archlinux package manager ''pacman'' my friend uses archlinux and it is cool, so I would like to can have Pacman and Puppy Package manager together in Puppy Linux, it is possible?
well first at all am not sure yet this is what i think it is...

By the way , I also found the pacman game .pet package so if somebody need it, just tell me
Attachments
pacman-2.9.8.pet
(89.68 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

dog_dancer

can somebody help please?

#2 Post by dog_dancer »

Anyone there can please tell tell me what this .pet is for?

Thanks

cimarron

#3 Post by cimarron »

There have been a few puppy derivatives built with Arch linux packages, and at least one used the pacman package manager. I'd guess it's a .pet for that. It would only useful for a puppy using Arch linux packages.

dog_dancer

Thanks for reply

#4 Post by dog_dancer »

Thanks for reply sir,

So it is possible install arch linux package after installing this pet?

I type pacman in the console and it seems it works but then I have try to install some packages but I did not get it, I dont know if Maybe i dont type the correct commands or somethin

Keisha

Re: Thanks for reply

#5 Post by Keisha »

dog_dancer wrote:...So it is possible install arch linux package after installing this pet?...
No. This .pet will work correctly only on a Pup which was built using the Arch recipes for init and configuration files. The old ArchPup could use it, but there is no contemporary version of Puppy built on the Arch recipe.

Theoretically you could make an Arch-based Puppy yourself, using Woof-CE. But no one will do it for you.

If you want an Arch-based liveCD, I suggest you check out simargl's modern successor to ArchPup, alphaOS,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

bigpup

Re: Thanks for reply

#6 Post by bigpup »

dog_dancer wrote:Thanks for reply sir,

So it is possible install arch linux package after installing this pet?
Unless you are using Archpup, not a good idea to try using Arch Linux packages.

They will most likely require dependency programs that are not in Puppy and the way they are compiled may not even work.

The Puppy Package Manager is setup to handle the program packages that will work on Puppy.
That is the whole purpose of a package manager.
Program packages have to be compiled for the Linux operating system they will be specifically for.
Puppy uses pet packages.

Now, some versions of Puppy are able to use program packages from other Linux operating systems, however they usually require additional dependency programs/files to make them work in Puppy.

Example:
Tahrpup 6.0.2 CE can use packages from Ubuntu Linux, but not any Ubuntu Linux. It has to be stuff compiled for Ubuntu-trusty.
Even so, most of the Ubuntu-trusty packages will also require a lot of added dependency program/files to work in Tahrpup.
Tahrpups Puppy Package Manager knows how to handle this.

Even Puppy pet packages do not work on all versions of Puppy.
A pet package made several years ago will not have the setup for the way Puppy has changed and evolved.

Use the Puppy Package Manager (PPM).
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dog_dancer

#7 Post by dog_dancer »

thank you very much , is just that would have been cool for me make this works even would be just for few packages that does not need non-compatible dependecies in puppy 528.

am gonna check those puppy arch, it seems curious.

those arch puppies are compatible with puppy linux 528 packages?