Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 12:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
4.3.2-SCSI 2.6.30.5 full older modem support
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 11 [156 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2011, 15:08    Post subject: Re: All of my distro (servers) were built using LVM on SCSI  

gcmartin wrote:
Could LVM be added to next SCSI update? All of my SCSI implementations since 2005-6 have Linux's LVM implemented on SCSIs. Is LVM an offering in the current ...002 offering?
What would be needed to have it in 003?

The current version is stable on standard hardware.

Very clean implementation. Thanks.

LVM is added at kernel configuration time just before compiling, I've never looked into using it myself, and haven't checked if Barry included in 2.6.30.5 kernel release. I'm not running 4.3.2 right now if I was I could check, probably the only way to find out is to check the kernel config in the 2.6.30.5 preconfigured sources. I had a look online and didn't see anything related in the config. http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.30.5-pup432/DOTconfig-K2.6.30.5-06FEB2010-TICKLESS-SMP
username:puppy
password:linux

ttuuxxx

tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 00:08    Post subject: Re: All of my distro (servers) were built using LVM on SCSI  

ttuuxxx wrote:
LVM is added at kernel configuration time just before compiling

No. LVM(2) is a utility. You're possibly getting confused with the device-mapper module, dm-mod, which the LVM utility depends upon. Indeed, all modern Puppies contain the dm-mod module.

gcmartin, I just posted the latest LVM2 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=483667#483667
PupGeek

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan 2011, 18:20    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:

PupGeek, let us know how you end up running Puppy on your Dell PowerEdge.

So far, I have been experimenting with rebuilding the kernel (2.6.25.16 for my ProducerPup). The kernel appears to compile ok, but it is panicking about aufs. I have done a bit of research on this problem and am assuming that I am improperly building the initrd image. Is there anyone here who can direct me to a tutorial on how to create a puppy-specific initrd image? Can I just place the fusion modules into the initrd without modifying the init script? (The init script seems to use modprobe instead of insmod commands.)

If I am correct, and the kernel is compiling ok, then it was a much easier task than I expected. Its the initrd that seems to be difficult. I should probably not try creating a whole new initrd and just modify the one I have, since I'm trying with the same kernel version, only with fusion mpt enabled.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan 2011, 03:33    Post subject:  

PupGeek wrote:
The kernel appears to compile ok, but it is panicking about aufs. I have done a bit of research on this problem and am assuming that I am improperly building the initrd image.

Well if you know how to expand, then repack the initrd image, you're 90% there. I see a bigger issue with the initrd that you need to add the new fusion modules - then revise the kernel configuration files so that modprobe/insmod will know where to locate them.

I think your aufs problem is more likely a case of getting a compatible aufs module compiled. Get the Puppy-compatible aufs source here -
http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.25.16/3rd-party-drivers/filesystem/aufs-20080825.tar.gz
And refer to these two notes
http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.25.16/patches-required.txt
http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.25.16/modules-compile.txt

Also see my comments about Realtime Preemption in your other post.
PupGeek

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan 2011, 18:17    Post subject:  

The kernel configuration files to let the kernel know where to find the modules that you are referring to: Would that be my modules.dep file?

I believe my aufs problem was in the fact that I had replaced the contents the initrd's lib/modules directory with those from the main /lib/modules directory (under the directions of the tutorial I was using) and the aufs module is located in a different place. Not knowing this, I didn't modify my modules.dep file accordingly. Anyways, thank Memorex for CD-RW's, they keep me from making too many coasters.

BTW Thank you for your patience, and I am really learning stuff here... there was a time I was completely new to linux and never even heard of puppy, but I kept doing research and asking questions and now, three years later, here I am with my own remastered puplet that I am trying to compile a new kernel for. Very Happy
scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan 2011, 05:14    Post subject: strange fault  

Interesting problem:

one of my boxes has a logitech mk250 keyboard/mouse cordless usb combo,
these devices have an on-off switch so you don't waste power,
i usually leave them on unless I know i'll be away for a day or two as I use rechargable batteries

Only with the latest 432v2, if I power up but leave the keyboard or mouse turned off before starting the linux boot, the system seems to think it's starting it's config routine again.

any ideas? Can we set a config box/marker to stop this somewhere?

regards
scsijon

Last edited by scsijon on Mon 10 Jan 2011, 16:29; edited 1 time in total
PupGeek

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan 2011, 10:24    Post subject:  

I'm assuming that you would be booting your system up before turning on the keyboard and mouse, and that this would be happening with any Puppy. If that is the case then its probably going through the config process because it did not get any feedback from your input devices. I'm not sure how Puppy goes about detecting keyboards and mice, but you probably should have them turned on before booting puppy. With Ubuntu, it will stick with the previous configuration.

I'm sure the config process is in the init script. You could probably write in an option to use the previous config there (you can probably even write code that will use the old config after a certain amount of time), but that would involve extracting and rebuilding your initrd.gz file. Alternatively, you may want to check your scripts in your /etc/init.d directory for any signs of this process and make any necessary adjustments there (only if you are comfortable with writing or editing shell scripts, that is -- and always make copies of scripts before editing them too.).
scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan 2011, 20:42    Post subject:  

@pupgeek

nope v1 worked ok, setup the first time, wasn't changed later reboots.
v2 is the first one that totally resets
vtpup

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb 2011, 12:20    Post subject:  

I'm a bit confused by the versioning of Puppy 4.3.2. I have been running 4.3.2 test v3 on all my computers. Now we have v1 and v2 -- what are these?

I've lost my livecd for 4.3.2 test v3 -- the link at the first post of the older 4.3.2 "official" thread for this version is dead.

I don't want to upgrade to a different version at this point, since I don't want to make changes to what is a stable system at present. I either need the original file, or at least an explanation of what "v1" is, if it is the same, not a step backwards, and v2 if it is a very different "4.3.2".
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb 2011, 19:53    Post subject:  

vtpup wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the versioning of Puppy 4.3.2. I have been running 4.3.2 test v3 on all my computers. Now we have v1 and v2 -- what are these?

I've lost my livecd for 4.3.2 test v3 -- the link at the first post of the older 4.3.2 "official" thread for this version is dead.

I don't want to upgrade to a different version at this point, since I don't want to make changes to what is a stable system at present. I either need the original file, or at least an explanation of what "v1" is, if it is the same, not a step backwards, and v2 if it is a very different "4.3.2".

Hi I started over again at it, So do you want the older v3 version, I could try to find it if so.
ttuuxxx

scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb 2011, 20:52    Post subject:  

try here for the old v3 (about halfway down page)
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy_isos.html

regards
scsijon
I really must update this page and get it finished!
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb 2011, 14:07    Post subject: Not seeing SCSI drives on DELL 1600  

I'm just getting back to this non-RAID SCSI system.

Question: Is SCSI support available when booting from LiveCD? Or is there some steps that is suppose to occur before reboot and session save to CD so that the drives on the system can be seen by this PUP?

Thanks in advance

PupGeek

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb 2011, 19:04    Post subject:  

gcmartin: Like my Dell Poweredge server, it may be using the LSI Fusion MPT controller even if it is not RAID. For some reason, that support was never enabled in puppy.... Even in the SCSI versions. The good news is that it is not very hard to recompile the kernel with that support built in. You can download the kernel sources from www.bkhome.org/sources and the devx_xxx.sfs module, and when you make menuconfig, you will find an option for Fusion MPT support. Enable this item with a "y" and then enter it, as it becomes a submenu. In there, you enable the top three items with a "y" so that it is all compiled within the kernel to allow booting from your scsi drives. You do not have to rebuild your initrd image. You can remaster your puppy on a non-scsi machine and place this new kernel in the puppylivecdbuild directory, instead of the one automatically placed there. After that, when you burn the remastered cd, it will contain your recompiled kernel.
whatupuppy

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb 2011, 23:59    Post subject:  

Hello Tuxx,

I have an IBM laptop model A22m without a hard drive installed.

The only version on puppy I can get up and running is:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/special-puppies/pup-431-k2.6.21.7-scsi-intel_modems.iso

I tried to use the version 002 and got an error.
Please see the pic.

Can I continue to manually start puppy at this point?
If yes, can you let me know how or point me in what thread I can find the answer. many thanks.
Puppy432_02_error.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Puppy432_02_error.jpg 
Filesize  27.58 KB 
Downloaded  280 Time(s) 
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 02:28    Post subject:  

PupGeek wrote:
You can download the kernel sources from www.bkhome.org/sources and the devx_xxx.sfs module

More accurately, you should obtain the kernel source from the "kernel-2.6.30.5-20100904" directory at that download location.
This kernel source has been configured differently from the standard 4.3.x kernel source for SCSI support.
Page 10 of 11 [156 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: