Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Peek Alpha

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#91 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

luma-2 seems to be working great, well done Playdayz and 01micko

With regard to the email client, IMHO installed software should cover all the bases, (which it does) and should be useable to as many people as possible.

If people dont like an application then they can change it, but if people need an application for their system to work it should be there. (as much as it is practical to do so)

it only takes me 5 minutes to download, install and make default my favourite pets to get my system how I like it.

Hope this helps
Stripe

chrismt

#92 Post by chrismt »

I have noticed that LXDE doesn't integrate with the default WM Switcher like Xfce4

I also had trouble reverting to JWM or Xfce4 after I am using LXDE

playdayz

Re: Email Client

#93 Post by playdayz »

scruffy wrote: When I have used Sylpheed I've always found it works well.
Sylpheed 3.1.0b2 (latest version) looks very nice to me--and it includes GnuPG. It adds 2MB, but I could use it as my email program.

8-bit says Thunderbird is easiest to set up. That is a good reason for it to be in Quickpet. I would like to see some people try Sylpheed 3.1.0b2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60400

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maverick Update
xorg_base now builds and runs correctly--finally the mesa files behave.

xserver-xorg-input is a problem because it will *not* use any kbd_drv that I can find (all of which are 1.4 or 7, and it needs 1.5 or 11 evidently). evdev doesn't work either--so no keyboard. The radeon video driver works--but it exits to a blank screen--we had that before I think and solved it. It is possible to use the new xorg-base and the xservers from 5.1.1. We might be able to compile the needed kbd_drv.

I found the bad library in gtk+, libgdk-pixbuf--it just doesn't work, but the one from 5.1.1 does. Everything else from gtk+ works now.

That's not enough improvement to go public again yet I don't think. Well, hmmmmm.

To summarize: It is only those two things above that are still a problem--the lack of keyboard is a pretty big problem--but at least that would solve the problem of how to change to a different keyboard ;-) We could pioneer full mouse only computing.

Ubuntu sure is changing a lot of files each day just one week before release of 10.10.

I am also working on 5.1.1--but dad gum, I am not sure I know what would be enough improvement to go to 5.1.2--I like using 5.1.1--we should be proud.

I am going to see about writing the first run dialog that I want--it might be fun, I would learn stuff, and I can probably do it--that would be worth 5.1.2.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

Iguleder

#94 Post by Iguleder »

01micko, do you need any help? At the moment I'm working with things like Woof and the kernel, I'm going more low-level with Squeeze, I could share some stuff, like the CUPS PDF printer fix.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

playdayz

#95 Post by playdayz »

I have noticed that LXDE doesn't integrate with the default WM Switcher like Xfce4

I also had trouble reverting to JWM or Xfce4 after I am using LXDE
Yes, we would do that if it became "official." Often when you switch back to jwm you will still have clearlooks--I regard that as a feature ;-) But you can use Desktop -> Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser to go back to another theme.

You know, the way I understand it themes that use pixmaps, such as Polished Blue, are not as efficient as themes that use an engine--such as clearlooks. Does anyone notice any difference?

James C

#96 Post by James C »

Still testing this daily,posting from it now, and nothing really to gripe about.If a problem pops up, I'll let you know. :lol:

playdayz

#97 Post by playdayz »

James C wrote:Still testing this daily,posting from it now, and nothing really to gripe about.If a problem pops up, I'll let you know. :lol:
Thanks JamesC. FYI, Barry will look into building a 2.6.35.x kernel sometime pretty soon. When we get that it would be a good time for a new version of Luci Mae.

Iguleder

#98 Post by Iguleder »

playdayz wrote:You know, the way I understand it themes that use pixmaps, such as Polished Blue, are not as efficient as themes that use an engine--such as clearlooks. Does anyone notice any difference?
I read something about that - themes that use many images (more complex pixmap themes) waste more RAM as the images are loaded to it. However, some other themes that render using an engine can be heavy, mainly themes with rounded corners for controls. All Aurora-based themes, Clearlooks and Ubuntu's default Murrine-powered themes are heavy. That's why I think the Xfce theme engine is a very very good choice for Puppy - nice square themes with good contrast.

EDIT: I compiled a 2.6.35.7 for dpup already, many people reported audio problems. That's why I'm polishing the 2.6.32.x kernel so much, I want it to be the default and the 2.6.35.x to be an option for those with new PCs that have more than 8 CPU cores, new netbooks or computers with more than one graphics card.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

darwinev0lved

#99 Post by darwinev0lved »

Well, just found my first problem. Wanted to configure the mouse as I couldn't click and drag using the mouse pad.

Got this error:

couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

thoughts?

pemasu

#100 Post by pemasu »

In console state, launch xorgwizard. Go through it. It might help to get flsynclient and synaptics to work.

darwinev0lved

#101 Post by darwinev0lved »

pemasu wrote:In console state, launch xorgwizard. Go through it. It might help to get flsynclient and synaptics to work.
Yeah that fixed it.

scruffy

Re: Luma-002 testing

#102 Post by scruffy »

Just tried Sylpheed 3.1.0b2 with my Yahoo email account. It was relatively straightforward to set up
and worked fine sending and receiving attachments - looks good too.

playdayz wrote: I am going to see about writing the first run dialog that I want--it might be fun, I would learn stuff, and I can probably do it--that would be worth 5.1.2.
I hope that in the First Run dialog you would consider displaying current country,locale, timezone
settings as this will help to avoid confusion for beginners on first time configuration.

Thanks scruffy.
AMD Athlon 1100MHz 512MB -Soundcard C-media CMI8738 -Graphics Nvidia geforce 4 MX440 - Netgear wired DSL

playdayz

#103 Post by playdayz »

I hope that in the First Run dialog you would consider displaying current country,locale, timezone
settings as this will help to avoid confusion for beginners on first time configuration.

Thanks scruffy.
Exactly.

Minnesota

comments on auto config

#104 Post by Minnesota »

playdayz:

This may not be the correct place to post this message but let me give it a shot.

Do not know if you have seen or tried SUSE 11.3. I received in a magazine the latest DVD. For the fun of it I put in a old hard drive and let the install run. Other than being bothered with a few set up questions and having to create a root password, I walked away and when I cam beck it was ready for password and directly to the desktop.

This morning I needed to test a Canon ip4300 printer. I first started to run their printer install program.. then realized I forgot to turn on the printer and plug it into a USB port.

Plugged in the usb cable, in a few seconds it gave me a message asking if I wanted to install the printer, yes, asked for root access, yes, it had to go to the net I imagine for the driver.. I am not sure... but after saying yes to install, software found the correct Gutenpring v5.2.4 driver. Asked if I wanted a test print, yes... PRINTED. It is using CUPS 1.4.4

I am mentioning all of this because the procedure was basically seamless. Is it possible to clone their procedure? Would be great advantage to PUPPY.

:)

rcrsn51

Re: comments on auto config

#105 Post by rcrsn51 »

Minnesota wrote:I am mentioning all of this because the procedure was basically seamless. Is it possible to clone their procedure? Would be great advantage to PUPPY.
One of the reasons that the big-boy distros are bigger is that they have more sophisticated printer wizards. OTOH, you could have done the same thing in Lupu by running its wizard and clicking your mouse about five times.

FWIW, I still find that CUPS 1.3.11 is faster to get a printer installed.

kevin bowers

#106 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote: I am also working on 5.1.1--but dad gum, I am not sure I know what would be enough improvement to go to 5.1.2--I like using 5.1.1--we should be proud.
Agreed. I just built a new box with an Intel Pentium dual-core on an Intel DG41WV board, everything (audio, video, LAN) on-board, plugged in a new 2-TB HD (WD "green") with the new partition-alignment technology, and everything worked OOTB! No problems detecting or partitioning the drive, no problems with the LAN (didn't even have to configure it), audio (front and back jacks work!), video before and after installing xorg_high, it all works fine. I've been using Puppy on older hardware for a long time; I'm once again impressed at how well it works on this newer stuff. Most of my computers are dual-boot but I'm wondering if I need Windows in this one--will I ever need to do anything on an office machine that I can't do in Puppy?