Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Peek Alpha

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#31 Post by James C »

01micko wrote::lol: better late than never!

Code: Select all

libavcodec52_0.6-2ubuntu2_i386.deb
libavformat52_0.6-2ubuntu2_i386.deb
libavutil50_0.6-2ubuntu2_i386.deb
libdca0_0.0.5-3_i386.deb
libdvdnav4_4.1.3-7_i386.deb
libpulse0_0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu19_i386.deb
libva1_1.0.1-3_i386.deb
libvdpau1_0.4-5ubuntu1_i386.deb
libvpx0_0.9.1-1_i386.deb
libx264-98_0.98.1653+git88b90d9-1_i386.deb
libxcb-atom1_0.3.6-1build1_i386.deb
You need all these libs to get mplayer and ffmpeg functioning correctly

Get them here (it's a big page so look carefully :shock: [bookmark it :wink: ])
http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/i386/libs/

Cheers

Gnome MPlayer is working fine now........thanks Mick. :)

............and Pmusic works fine too. :lol:
Last edited by James C on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

yarddog

#32 Post by yarddog »

01micko wrote:yarddog

I just saw that too, but by trying to unmount with a right click in Rox. Maybe we are using an old gtk lib? Possibly Wary's? Just a guess.

fix : http://ftp.filearena.net/pub/ubuntu/poo ... 1_i386.deb

Cheers

applied fix, tested and it works

thanks for quick response
yarddog

01micko

#33 Post by 01micko »

Osmo needs a heap of dependencies :cry: .. over 10M :shock: :lol:

Better we compile that one :wink:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

yarddog

#34 Post by yarddog »

01micko wrote:Osmo needs a heap of dependencies :cry: .. over 10M :shock: :lol:

I loaded Osmo-0-2.8-p4.pet from pet packages-4/ and it works great
in this versioin

this pet package is 380 kb

yarddog

WhoDo

#35 Post by WhoDo »

playdayz wrote:Funny questions occur to me. Why would Barry want a Puppy 6 that was not Woof-based? But if there were two Woof-based versions wouldn't they both be 5.2 or 5.5 or whatever because they would both be based on the latest Woof? This has been a possibility from the beginning.
Who said Barry does "want a Puppy 6 that is not Woof-based"? Who says Barry even wants a Puppy 6?

As far as I can see the speculation about Puppy 6 is just Lobster feeding his incessant need for something to promote besides fish! (No offense, Ed).

My understanding is that Barry is forking Woof to experiment with a simpler naming system. That sounds like a good idea and qualifies as cutting edge development, not mainstream. Barry is using Quirky as the test bed for that development, which is why that fork was created in the first place. I'd be willing to bet that Lobster has extrapolated that information out to a new major release down the track - Puppy 6.

Doing that sort of speculative promotion in the public sections of the forum is counterproductive to the development effort IMHO. I faced the same issues with early 5.x series development while working on 4.2x - people saying why bother with further development of 4.x series if 5.x was just around the corner. I hosed down plenty of developer nervousness over that then too.

Forget it, Larry! Keep going with the eminently worthwhile Upup 5.x versions. In particular, keep Lucid alive and separate in keeping with the LTS nature of its binary compatibility. By all means plan for Maverick Puppy as 5.2 or 5.5 or whatever and leave 6.x where it belongs; in the cutting edge forum of future experimentation.

I hope that helps, mate.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

Hi Warren.

I'm staying outa that debate :lol:

I'm quite happy churning out gtkdialog and bash scripts and delving into a bit of C hacking, (mainly to hack source and maybe write some small apps :wink: )

Official or non-Official matters little to me.

Valid points though. (woops!)

Cheers

scsijon

Re: Lucid Maverick Puppy 5..2 Sneak Preview

#37 Post by scsijon »

yarddog wrote:just booted from cd

(ROX-Filer:8827): Gtk-WARNING **: GModule (/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libpixmap.so) initialization check failed: Gtk+ version too old (micro mismatch)

(ROX-Filer:8827): Gtk-WARNING **: GModule (/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libpixmap.so) initialization check failed: Gtk+ version too old (micro mismatch)

#
first I have ever seen this on any distro

fyi - yarddog
Hi all,

damn, you folks are sure working fast, next thing 5.2 will be out and 5.3 in beta

with luma001:

- I get the same set of errors when I try to do a set tray to autohide, but :lol: 01micko's fix sorts that one out :D :oops: HOWEVER, the restart jwm via the menu shutdown didn't "do" it, I had to use the restart jwm button in "jwm configuration" under desktop.

- On the other hand, i'm geting the fd and cd icons appearing behind the drive icons every few reboots, (i'm up to 23 deliberate reboots now,) like they are a second icon row but only half a step above the first.

- Also could we have bluesatin back in the desktop background set please, it's missing.

- on the other hand ff is not "vertically stretching" this time.

- also as a plus, pets with the need to create configs\datasets on first start, are seemingly doing so faster.

back to the testing

regards
scsijon
and ps, as far as Puppy6 is concerned, my impressions so far is that it will be going back to only using T2 with the latest woof's. It is not a competitor in any way with any puppy5. Just working from a different direction. And yes, i'm planning on "playing" with it :lol: as it will be a good learning tool.

danm typos

Karl Godt

#38 Post by Karl Godt »

Get them here (it's a big page so look carefully [bookmark it ])
:) Really felt for one hour running `mplayer` at the console and downloading there :)

Somehow I couldn't find out to work with `gnome-mplayer` before but adjusting a lot of settings like cache and postprocessing makes Gnome MPlayer now playing music from CD even while connected to internet without stumbling . :D

some error codes were knewn to me like
# mplayer
mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libx264.so.98: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but others are new to me like :
# mplayer
mplayer: relocation error: mplayer: symbol ff_codec_wav_tags, version LIBAVFORMAT_52 not defined in file libavformat.so.52 with link time reference

So thanks you very much 01micko for figuring these libs out :D

And for the gtk+2.20.* I`ll stay with the older 2.10.0 atm

chrismt

#39 Post by chrismt »

Will LXDE light be integrated with this version of Puppy?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59673

Iguleder

#40 Post by Iguleder »

Got some goodies that can be ported from the new dpup, playdayz. Just look at the threads, things like DeaDBeeF could do wonders :)

I'll do my best to help on the 5.2 front once dpup 005 is out :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

Here is an experimental Quickpet

Be warned The program is stable but the naming conventions are not in place in PPM, so behaviour is unstable. Quickpet now reads the same file as PPM to download the goods. Consequently, some files wont download at all, others will get different versions.

There is now a check to see if you have enough space, well 2 checks;
---one warns that you will have less than 40M of space left after install and offers the option to continue or abort,
---the other aborts because quickpet now knows if a program will kill your pupsave (or partition :wink: )

If you want stable behaviour, don't use this package, if you want to test and provide feedback then by all means give it a go.

Known programs that work are, Vlc and Opera. Firefox and Seamonkey are broken, nearly all packages on the first page are broken, the nvidia drivers work, probably Xorg_High too.

playdayz and myself will come to some arrangement for naming conventions.

Have fun testing :lol:

Cheers
Attachments
quickpet-4alpha1.pet
(117.6 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

yarddog

#42 Post by yarddog »

Iguleder wrote:Got some goodies that can be ported from the new dpup, playdayz. Just look at the threads, things like DeaDBeeF could do wonders :)

I have tried DeaDBeeF 0.4.1 in both Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 and Dpup-004. Select DeaDBeef from Multimedia Menu and nothing happens
If I run from console, shows DeaDBeef 0.4.1 starting and thats all that happens

HP pent4 2.8 ghz - 1mb memory - Intel 82886G graphics controller - Intel 82801 EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC 97 audio.
Ran Alsawizard duriing setup. Puppy barks - no problem

yarddog

James C

#43 Post by James C »

yarddog wrote:
Iguleder wrote:Got some goodies that can be ported from the new dpup, playdayz. Just look at the threads, things like DeaDBeeF could do wonders :)

I have tried DeaDBeeF 0.4.1 in both Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 and Dpup-004. Select DeaDBeef from Multimedia Menu and nothing happens
If I run from console, shows DeaDBeef 0.4.1 starting and thats all that happens

HP pent4 2.8 ghz - 1mb memory - Intel 82886G graphics controller - Intel 82801 EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC 97 audio.
Ran Alsawizard duriing setup. Puppy barks - no problem

yarddog
I'm running it in frugal installs of both Maverick and DPup 004 on my old P3....no problems at all.Installed the pet and it works.

James C

#44 Post by James C »

yarddog wrote:
01micko wrote:Osmo needs a heap of dependencies :cry: .. over 10M :shock: :lol:

I loaded Osmo-0-2.8-p4.pet from pet packages-4/ and it works great
in this versioin

this pet package is 380 kb

yarddog
I'll confirm this. I manually extracted the files and replaced the existing Osmo files and it's working fine.

Stripe

#45 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

you can also get the deadbeef .deb file (1.5mb) from their website and it installed straight into 5.11 without having to make a pet of it. I dont know about maverick though

Hope this helps
Stripe

yarddog

#46 Post by yarddog »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

you can also get the deadbeef .deb file (1.5mb) from their website and it installed straight into 5.11 without having to make a pet of it. I dont know about maverick though

Hope this helps
Stripe
can you provide exact link you used to get the deadbeef .deb file (1.5mb)

every file I have found is in the 1.0 to 1.1 mb range

appreciate your help
yarddog

Stripe

#47 Post by Stripe »

Sorry yarddog my mistake it is 1010k

The files name is: deadbeef_0.4.1-1_i386.deb

and the site is: http://sourceforge.net/projects/deadbee ... b/download

Iguleder

#48 Post by Iguleder »

Hehe, Puppy wins again :lol:

Our DeaDBeeF pet is just 200 KB, it's a great replacement for Pmusic. Originally, I made a 200 KB pet which beat the 250 KB of dejan555's Aqualung. Then, dejan555 recompiled DeaDBeeF, this time he hacked the menus to remove some non-functioning items, around 215 KB but it's worth it :)

About ffmpeg ... playdayz, would you like me to make a new ffmpeg that can be used by both dpup and Maverick? Some shared code won't do any harm :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#49 Post by pemasu »

James C. Your wallpaper is nice. Is it somewhere for downloading or is it even in luci maverick. Yes, I havent had time to download and play with it yet.

Karl Godt

#50 Post by Karl Godt »

It is the default wallpaper :)

/usr/share/backgrounds
Attachments
luma-001-bg-default.jpg.gz
puppy-maverick-default-wallpaper-nr.1
(79.78 KiB) Downloaded 364 times