Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Peek Alpha

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Peek Alpha

#1 Post by playdayz »

Luma-002 takes several steps forward. From a user standpoint Mplayer and Pmusic are working, as are ePDFView and Osmo.

Behind the scenes is kind of interesting too, imho. We are moving toward trying to use as many of the straight Ubuntu binaries as possible. This time we are using the Ubuntu binaries for gnome-mplayer, ffmpeg and the ffmpeg libraries, abiword, and gnumeric. Previously we had compiled all of those ourselves. There is nothing wrong with compiling them ourselves of course--the ffmpeg that 01micko compiled was smaller than the Ubuntu version and at least as good. But 1) that takes time which we can put into other areas, and #2 we are uPup after all so why not try to use as many Ubuntu binaries as possible.

Luma-002 is also “hal-free.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 23 Sep 2010, 22:38, edited 7 times in total.

James C

#2 Post by James C »

It's got a neat default wallpaper........ :lol:

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

What will improvements in usability and applications be?
If this is just a "Keeping up with the Jones (Ubuntu)" attempt, I cannot see it taking time of developers from development of Puppy 6.

I do not want to download it for a test if it is just a lookalike of Puppy 511 with a new background.

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

jwmconfig / /usr/local/jwmconfig2/jwmConfigMgr was doing a good job changing the taskbar by adding some icons and virtual desktops at the last luci-2** and lupu-511-- but now some older habbits of `jwm-tray-rc corrupted, keeping original` shows up as `Configuration has not been altered`

chrismt

#5 Post by chrismt »

Thanks man!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Many exciting new projects
and I feel there will be many who will be very interested 8)

Developers often work in several directions simultaneously
For example Barry is working on Woof, Wary and Quirky and Jemimah on Saluki, Fluppy and Puppeee,
ttuuxxx is working on EVERYTHING! (see next post)

Anyways - just gonna burn the ISO and boot in it
Many thanks for the preview Larry :)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ttuuxxx

#7 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote:Many exciting new projects
and I feel there will be many who will be very interested 8)

Developers often work in several directions simultaneously
For example Barry is working on Woof, Wary and Quirky and Jemimah on Saluki, Fluppy and Puppeee

Anyways - just gonna burn the ISO and boot in it
Many thanks for the preview Larry :)
I'm working on 2.14x, The new Dpup, The new puppy 6.0 as it happens, A surfboard version and 4.3 this weekend.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

James C

#8 Post by James C »

I didn't get any of the "bugs" fixed.........but I trashed an install experimenting..... :lol:
Reinstalling now on the old P3 test box.Other than the problems listed above, things seemed to work..at least what I tried.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

I'm working on 2.14x, The new Dpup, The new puppy 6.0 as it happens, A surfboard version and 4.3 this weekend.
ttuuxxx
Ttuuxxx does his world famous superdawg impressions :D
Maybe he is on a caffeine drip feed . . . 8)
I am in Lucid Maverick
with its surfing pooch wallpaper
and cutting edge Ubuntu binaries

initial impression very good indeed
  • connected to desktop
    connected to Ethernet
    sound quiet but there . . .

changed icons
    got me a fox (firefox)
    created image and added to wiki
    http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy52
    all working whilst connected to chat
    Could not find pic of maverick so apologies for
    image name . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

ttuuxxx

#10 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote:
Ttuuxxx does his world famous superdawg impressions :D
Maybe he is on a caffiene drip feed . . . 8)
I usually drink about 4L of coffee a day :) But next weekend I'm going on trip with the church, Its a outreach they are having up the coast and plan on fishing most of the weekend, so not much will happen next weekend other than catching a few fish and having a few brewskies :) .
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

Have a great trip

Created a better image - all done in Maverick
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

the problem with `jwmconfig` might be /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.20.0 related .

I copied an /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0 from a luci-218 to this ""cobra-biter"" and now the taskbar seems to be changeable .

I don`t know if just fixing the error message ""gtk+ too old"" would help ( to somewhat like "" if version <= needed then echo too old "" )

/usr/local/jwmconfig at luma-001 seems to be identical with the one at luci-218

And the wallpaper is of course fun at all !

tubeguy

#13 Post by tubeguy »

This is the first build of Lucid Maverick
You folks don't waste any time do ya!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

tubeguy

Re: Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Preview

#14 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote: I would also like a utility that would allow easily switching between sound cards and changing the default (that's for me and tubeguy Wink. Audacious can do it so we can write a utility to do it also.
Would be good. Audacious has proven to be problematic on 5.1, it freezes when I am using filezilla or transmission. Seems to have something to do with the network itself, Audacious is fine when the other apps are open but not doing anything, but when there is network activity from filezilla or or transmission Audacious will freeze. No problem while browsing though, which makes it even curiouser.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

stu90

#15 Post by stu90 »

Lobster wrote:Have a great trip

Created a better image - all done in Maverick
i love it :lol:

Karl Godt

#16 Post by Karl Godt »

How to load 511-devx.sfs at bootup of luma-001 ?

There is a gtk-2.20.1 already at http://www.gtk.org/download-linux.html

I could think of renaming the 511-devx.sfs but how exactly ? The same occured at luci-218-219 to load the 222-devx.sfs

playdayz

#17 Post by playdayz »

What will improvements in usability and applications be?
If this is just a "Keeping up with the Jones (Ubuntu)" attempt, I cannot see it taking time of developers from development of Puppy 6.

I do not want to download it for a test if it is just a lookalike of Puppy 511 with a new background.
Here's a little history 8-bit.

On March 29, 2010 Barry proposed Lucid Puppy 5.0
On May 15, six weeks later, on deadline, Lucid Puppy 5.0 released
It contained the very popular innovations of
1.Browser-Installer for one-click choice of browser
2.Quickpet for one-click installation of tested and configured top notch programs

On AUG 15, Lucid Puppy 5.1 was released
It contained another very popular set of innovations and was #2 in Distrowatch for 7 straight days.
1.Boot to desktop, reliably
2.Full PPM of top flight latest and greatest LInux programs, tested and configured, such as Stellarium, Scribus, SMplayer, Samba, Skype, and those are just the S's, and many more
3.Graphics Drivers for High performance were recommended and available with one-click
4.Icewm option,
5.LupuNews/Instant Update

And you ask me if there is going to be anything new? ;-)

Perhaps I am just naive but this seems like a pretty good record of innovation in just 5 months and two releases. IMHO, it will be a most impressive thing to see Puppy6 top that record of pure innovation.

As I said in the first message of this thread, it is not certain that there will be a Lucid Maverick/Meerkat. I admit to being puzzled and bemused why so many seem so anxious to replace Lucid and so few developers seem willing to put in the few hours that it would take to make a contribution. I have a small list of projects that would help if anyone wants to contact me. I don't ant to give the wrong impression: tempestuous helps with thew drivers and so does catdude, and tronkel helps fill the PPM with good programs. Others as well.

BTW, in the next version Mplayer and Pmusic are both working., but there are big changes so I can't just post a pet to update.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 18:40, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#18 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: As I said in the first message of this thread, it is not certain that there will be a Lucid Maverick/Meerkat. I admit to being puzzled and bemused why so many seem so anxious to replace Lucid
Speaking just for myself,I didn't think of this as a replacement for Lucid Puppy 5.11......more like a sneak peek at the future. :) I was figuring work was going to continue toward Lucid 5.1.2 and then Lucid 5.20....but what do I know, I'm just a tester. :lol:

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

I was figuring work was going to continue toward Lucid 5.1.2 and then Lucid 5.20....
Yes. The timing will say if there will be a 5.1.2--with a couple of new editions of Woof then a 5.1.2 could be released around early October. But Maverick Meerkaat Ubuntu 10.10 will be released on 10/10/10 so it might be better to go for a 5.2 (being Lucid Meerkaat--that is, Lucid built with the Meerkaat binaries instead of the Lynx binaries) around All Hallows (OCT 31). That depends on response among other things. Even if there is not enough response for a Lucid Meerkaat then I can keep updating Lucid Puppy with subsequent Woof's. After all, Lucid Lynx Ubuntu 10.04 is a Long Term Support release that will be supported for 3 years total. Thanks JamesC for everything you have done.

------------------------------------------------
tubeguy, in my experience Audacious freezes constantly with Icewm. I am usually using the LXDE Light that I posted in Additional Software: Desktop and Audacious seems to behave.

Karl Godt

#20 Post by Karl Godt »

It contained another very popular set of innovations and was #2 in Distrowatch for 7 straight days.
PUPPY is still Rank 11 ++ the first to come after the large distros ++ Congratulations !

Further : copying the lupu_devx_511.sfs to / and renaming it to luma_devx_001.sfs made bootmanager agreeing to load it.

gtk+2.20.1 , glib-2.24.2 and pango-1.28.1 uncompressed and after running the configure shellscript are pretty huge : 806M personal storage, free space= 352M :shock:
Even gtk+2.18.7 needs glib >=2.21.3 and I don`t know how to go on with output like this at the moment :
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.21.3...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.24.0, but GLIB (2.25.15)
*** was found! If
pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.21.3 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/.
Only git-1.7.2.3 seems to make without problems .

And for the kernel there should be 2.6.36 on the way a magazine wrote these days .
I`m very excited to see what luma-002 would become :D