Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 18:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
More laptop peripheral friendly?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Eastern Counties

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb 2006, 18:10    Post subject:  More laptop peripheral friendly?  

First, I should say Puppy is wonderful. An instant hit and way faster than my trimmed down Red Hat 9. However, could future Puppies be more friendly towards laptops that don't have serial ports?

I have a 6 year old Toshiba laptop with no serial ports but:
1. an external Sitecom serial modem connected to a USB port via an FTDI USB-serial adapter
2. a USB connected Canon i250 printer
but despite helpful advice from the Puppy forum, and despite the fact that this setup works fine with RH9, I have been unable to get Puppy 1.0.7 to recognise either modem or printer, even after loading appropriate drivers. One forum member pointed out that my setup is the problem and that I need serial ports.

So sadly I am going to have to put Puppy in the kennels for now, but will keep an eye on it in case I change my laptop in the future.
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb 2006, 18:57    Post subject: USB Printer  

So far printing from USB is OK with Puppy, it's just choosing the local port talk and /dev/usb/lp0 (or lp1) options in the last step that proved difficult when I first used the wizard. (Of course all the Canon drivers may not be there, but you can choose what driver can be accepted by your printer - see the printer manual).
Eastern Counties

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar 2006, 13:38    Post subject:  

OK, I take it all back. With support from forum members, it is all sorted now.

I'll post a 'How To' synopsis of the joint effort to make my USB to serial modem connection in case it is of help to somebody else. Perhaps the inclusion of the ftdi module in future Puppy versions would help.

As for printing, installing CUPS - again with help from the forum - sorted out my old Epson printer even if it couldn't wake up my Canon i250. If I can swap the Canon for a newer Epson, I should be OK.

Furthermore, installing Prozilla seems to have brought my dial-up connection up to a speed that matches the rest of Puppy.

So thanks, everybody.

John
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: