Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 09:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio
Gateway W730 missing audio
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
thatsmyboy

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep 2010, 12:00    Post subject:  Gateway W730 missing audio
Subject description: Trying to get sound working on ATIIXP onboard Gateway sound

I'm trying to get sound working on my Gateway computer. I currently have no audio whatsoever. Using LiveCD Puppy 4.31 (Kernel 2.6.30.5)
Following the directions here ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 ) I find :

Quote:
# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

but
Code:
lspci -v
doesn't come up with drivers for my soundcard. I then tracked over here ( http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-atiixp ) and verified I do have the soundcore module, added the appropriate lines to /etc/​modules.conf and created the .asoundrc file in the home directory ( /root/.asoundrc ). I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated!
Roy

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep 2010, 12:51    Post subject:  

An internet search leads me to believe you have an ixp sb-400 ac'97 audio controller. I still want to search for your BIOS manufacturer....

Give me a couple of days, okay?

-Roy
Roy

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep 2010, 20:46    Post subject:  

thatsmyboy,

Try some things without your save file and without touching any wizards:

I *think* that AC'97 sound should work straight from the CD without any extra drivers or internal script modifications. Could you boot your LiveCD with the parameter, "puppy pfix=ram", (without the "") do this in terminal and post the result?

Code:
lsmod | grep snd*

Without even selecting any sound wizards (running from LiveCD with puppy pfix=ram boot parameter), do you have sound from your headphone jack?

Right click on your Trash icon, and look at the pop-up window. Do you see 'Empty the Trash'? Move your mouse pointer up to that and left click on it. A new Confirm Delete pop-up window appears in the middle of your screen with the option to Delete or Cancel. Left click on Delete. If sound is working, we will hear a dog's bark. Did you hear any sound?

Click on your Menu (lower left corner) and look at the mixer(s). What are the volume levels set at?

-Roy
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio
Jump to: