Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 18:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to Install latest version of Avast4 workstations.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep 2010, 03:16    Post subject:  How to Install latest version of Avast4 workstations.  

Avast for workstations does not protect the Linux system. it scans the places you tell it to. I have it installed on this flash drive Puppy ver 431 so I can boot windows systems and clean the viruses and/or copy the data. I also carry a live cd and a flash card in case the windows machine won't boot off USB.

There is a problem in that some of the Linux kernels and Windows 98 as well will not allow the virus files to update because they have become so large.The solution w/puppy is to modify the ~/etc/rc.d/rc.local file.
This is the post on the avast forum explaining how to do it.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57775.0
Starting with the 400.vps, version 100328-1, one of it's internal block reached the inner limit 33554432 bytes. It's a kernel variable which
is (quite artificially) limiting the maximum size of any SHM memory block - and 33554432 was a default for some kernels.

Solution? Set the limit to higher values (as root):

sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
OR
echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Place those lines to /etc/init.d/rcS or equivalent file (it's distribution-specific a bit - see /etc/inittab, the sysinit runlevel) to have them set automatically (just after boot)

jemimah on the PuppyLinux irc channel suggested placing the command in the ~/etc/rc.d/rc.local file and it is working perfectly for me. I had it scan a Windows install and it found no viruses but it did correctly identify corrupted compressed files.

As far as the install I just unpacked the tarball to root and drug the AvastGui on to the desktop. If anyone figures a better way let me know. I have used Avast free edition for years on winders and no worries.

http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition#tab4
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: