Index of resources for Beginners Help forum

Booting, installing, newbie
WB7ODYFred

Linux frequently asked questions for newbies

#31 Post by WB7ODYFred »

http://www.tuxradar.com/newtolinux

This was a great read that answered many questions, that a New LInux User and possibly a New Puppy Linux user might ask!

WB7ODYFred

MiKylie

#32 Post by MiKylie »

Just installed it thanks to that guide, and so far everything works fine. Cannot get brightness control to work tho. But apart from that, this guide was really definitive. :oops:

rokytnji

#33 Post by rokytnji »

jamesjeffries1 wrote:for more beginners linux help goto http://linuxmigration.tk
I did and got this. Maybe link is wrong maybe? Otherwise, I bookmarked this useful thread. Thanks guys. :)
Your website has been suspended!

The web hosting account that hosts this website has expired!

If you are the owner of this website, please login to your hosting Control Panel and renew your account.

If you are a visitor to this website, please access this page later.

Snookie

Awesome Resource Page!

#34 Post by Snookie »

What a Great Resource Page! I somehow missed this? This needs to be in Bold or some color with Flashing lights that says "Go Here First!" LOL I am new to Puppy and Linux for the most part and could of really used this a few days ago LOL. Anyway Great Job on compiling this together and will try to point others to it as much as I can.

Thank You Flash!

Snookie

P.S. I just saw that this was the TOP Post in the "Beginners Start Here" Section! AAAAAARgh! What else can be done besides have it reach out of the screen and shake you? Is there scripting for that in SeaMonkey?

TrailerTrash

tutorial

#35 Post by TrailerTrash »

Thanks man. Your work creating this page is well appreciated.... especially by those of who are seriously senior with no teen agers around the house to answer computer questions yet are aware enough to dare to abandon Windows.

KUDO

BZ

Well Done

and tks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#36 Post by Flash »

Thank you for noticing. :lol: As I say at the beginning of the post, it was an experiment. I think it proved that such an index is useful. If it were easier to maintain, I'd keep it up to date, but the forum software is deliberately designed to make such a long and complicated post difficult. :(

werwinn

Most Useful

#37 Post by werwinn »

@Flash "OFD"

I will be working my way through your list.

Too often we do not let the workers know how much they are appreciated.

Good Stuff

werwinn

FL Guy

Great idea - How about adding "How to add drivers/packages"

#38 Post by FL Guy »

For my $.02, I think this index is a great idea - thanks!

If I can suggest, a pointer to a tutorial or information on how to add existing precompiled driver packages to Puppy so that they appear in the Network Connect / Interface Configuration tools/GUI would be _very_ helpful.

Background: I'm working with a few Dell laptops of recent vintage (mostly Latitude e6400s), and finding that the drivers included in the base Puppy 5.0.1 (and Ubuntu) distros - especially the wireless drivers - don't work with these machines.

I've done a bit of searching (both here and elsewhere) and I have found precompiled drivers which reportedly should work, however have not yet found info on how to add them so that the Connect tools can find them.

I have started a thread asking for help with this subject here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56290.

If I can suggest, a pointer to the resources identified in answer(s) to that thread (and/or other resources on this topic) would be a very helpful addition to this index.

johnlennonfan

#39 Post by johnlennonfan »

Thanks for putting this together! I just put it on an old laptop of ours and I'm still figuring out everything. :)

~Liz

oui

where is the actual list or index of resources

#40 Post by oui »

Hi

this thread seems to be very old now.

where is the actual list or index of resources being official agreed or encouraged bei 'Puppy linux' to be found?

are puppy wikis yet used?

how happens the 'management with system' of all the informations concerning the divers versions of puppy, quirky and fatdog64?

bye

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: where is the actual list or index of resources

#41 Post by Flash »

oui wrote:Hi

this thread seems to be very old now.
Indeed it is. I have explained several times that it was an experiment. In my own mind, I proved my point :lol: Unfortunately, the forum software makes it very difficult to maintain such a long post, and that is why I stopped trying.
how happens the 'management with system' of all the informations concerning the divers versions of puppy, quirky and fatdog64?

bye
System? Management? :lol:

vickyg2003

Re: Index of resources for Beginners Help forum

#42 Post by vickyg2003 »

Flash wrote: Booting (running) from CD:

This is a broken link.

As long as I'm working my way through this, is there a glossary or dictionary somewhere?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#43 Post by Flash »

Vicky, that index was an experiment. One of the things I found out from it was the forum software makes a large post very tedious to edit. I'm sorry to say I haven't maintained it in years, so that many of the links will be bad.

ShellyCat

Re: Most Useful

#44 Post by ShellyCat »

werwinn wrote:@Flash "OFD"

I will be working my way through your list.

Too often we do not let the workers know how much they are appreciated.

Good Stuff

werwinn
I agree totally, thank you! Awesome work!

Not only does it make essential posts (and other sources) easier to find...like werwinn said, there are many tutorials there I want to go through for the sake of learning before I need to know!
Puppy Distro: [url=http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/quickset_puppy/]pup-431JPqs3 "Quickset Puppy Linux (Japanese/English bilingual)"[/url]
Previous distros: Slackware (preferred), Fedora Core 6 (in school), Ubutntu (not much)

darkcity

#45 Post by darkcity »

THis index is waycool, added to wiki

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ComponentHowTo

:twisted: :twisted:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#46 Post by Flash »

It hasn't been maintained in years. You should go through it and update the links.

darkcity

#47 Post by darkcity »

good idea, could add relevant stuff to wiki.

however still need to finish updating the big Puppy version list :idea: