Wary 0.7 mix-n-match feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
shinobar

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT and vesa on wary

#31 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:P.S.
I would like to go directly to the desktop using vesa, but i fond my NVIDIA graphic card, GeForce 8800GT has a problem, unstable and freeze, with the vesa on wary-0.7.
It was no problem with the vesa in Puppy-4.3.1, or [url=thttp://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/pup4/QuickSet/]the Puppy-431JPqs3[/url].
Was not exact. The vesa in Puppy-4.3.1 do not freeze but do not work correctly with my GeForce 8800GT. It works at the first run, but once Xorg run and switched to Xvesa, it shows wrong size and wrong positioned desktop.
The difference in wary, the Xvasa freezes from the first run whereas in Puppy-431 it works at the first run.

I tried on Wary-070, replace /usr/X11R7/bin/Xvesa with /usr/bin/Xvesa in Puppy-431. No difference with the behavior, unstable and freeze.

Guess some NVIDIA specific.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

Rerwin has sent me a pm that implementation of the -7.5 pet that he had earlier pm'ed me was a step to far. It may break some modem connections.

Rerwin has advised me what needs to be rolled back and I have created a pet. I'm not sure, you might have to reboot after installing it. Attached.
Attachments
modem_fix_wary070-1.pet
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Hesse James

#33 Post by Hesse James »

Hi
By the way...
To make life easier I used the following measure for a frugal installation on my WindowsXP machine without the necessity to build the ISO (Windows-users friendly). I used the NTloader in combination with grub4dos to boot Wary0.7

I downloaded the Wary's SFS-files, the vmlinuz and the initrd.gz files and put them into a new folder (here "boot"). This new folder has to be in the root directory of the first Harddisk, first Partition (C: of WindowsXP).

Then I added the following command as a separate line at the end of my boot.ini file (sometimes hidden, read-only) which can be found in the root directory of drive C:

C:\GRLDR="Wary 0.7"

I put the file GRLDR from the grub4dos.zip (version 0.4.4) in the root directory of the first harddisk, first partiton and copied the attached unzipped menu.lst into the root directory too.

Reboot should give you the opportunity to select between Windows OS or Wary 0.7. This is for WindowsXP only. The NTLDR of Vista and Win7 behave differently.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/images/icons/icon4.gif
! But be careful !: Changing the settings of the NT Loader is mainly for experienced Windows users only and in case of a mistake this might make your system inoperable ! This description is without warranties !
Attachments
menu.lst.zip
menu.lst File to be placed in the root directory of the first harddisk, first partition
(433 Bytes) Downloaded 777 times

neurino

#34 Post by neurino »

Sorry if I bother... no advice on this topic?

Any tip is welcome, thank you.

Billtoo

#35 Post by Billtoo »

I used the 2.6.30.5 dvd that I made earlier and used an external dvd
drive to boot it with pfix=ram on my Acer Revo Nettop Computer.
I chose probe but that didn't work so rebooted and chose vesa at
800x600 resolution.
The wireless keyboard and mouse were detected and it also was
connected the internet on eth0.
I used the universal installer to install 070 to an 8 gb usb flash
drive.
I installed the nvidia pet that I used on my desktop install and
exited to the prompt and ran xorgwizard.
# glxgears
9491 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1897.671 FPS
9554 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1910.656 FPS
10160 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2031.935 FPS
10209 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2041.795 FPS
10150 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2029.949 FPS
#
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory 1813MB (102MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.07
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 05 Sep 2010 09:29:14 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ION/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter PC-Speaker - pcsp
Input Devices
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
HDA Digital PCBeep
Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.30.5 (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP Sat Sep 4 11:55:07 GMT-8 2010
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.3.4 (GCC)
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.07
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer ION/PCI/SSE2
Version 3.2.0 NVIDIA 190.53
Direct Rendering Yes

The install of 070 with this kernel is working very well on Core 2 Quad desktop and I'll try it out on this nettop now.

edit: It's working great, I compiled a bunch of apps,downloaded newest opera browser,switched to icewm, added nexuiz,openarena,and sauerbraten games.

peebee

Feedback report - modem problem on Wary 070

#36 Post by peebee »

BarryK wrote:Rerwin has sent me a pm that implementation of the -7.5 pet that he had earlier pm'ed me was a step to far. It may break some modem connections.

Rerwin has advised me what needs to be rolled back and I have created a pet. I'm not sure, you might have to reboot after installing it. Attached.
I reported to Barry on his developers blog that the Agere HDA modem in my HP550 laptop had burst into life for the first time using any Puppies with Wary 060 :D but had relapsed into sulking again in Wary 070 :cry: .

I have applied the .pet that Barry has so kindly produced - but am sorry to report that it hasn't helped with my problem :cry: .

If anybody needs me to send diagnostics like dmesg outputs then I'm happy to do that - maybe by PM?

Thanks
Peter

tronkel

Wary mix'n match issues

#37 Post by tronkel »

I've had a go with two of the kernels in Wary 5 - 2.6.34 and 2.6.30

There are video issues with both kernels that I don't recall were present in Puppy 4.3.1.

In 4.3.1 the Xorg wizard displayed the various resolution options and correctly set up xorg.conf to work with both the ATI Radeon 3450 video card and the HP 1907 LCD monitor.

With both of the these Wary kernels however, it is necessary to select the non-optimal screen resolution suggested by the wizard and then to manually edit xorg.conf to use the "radeonhd" driver instead of the "radeon" driver along with the optimal resolution of 1400x900. Video then works OK in either kernel using the optimal resolution. The problem seems therefore to point to the regressed XORG version.

On quitting the live CD first run at the point where the system offers to create a pup-save, the screen is garbled and un-readable. I know how this routine works by heart - having used it countless times before so I managed to create a pup-save file "blind" nevertheless.

The Ralink RT73USB WLAN chipset is detected by both kernels and displays the WLAN access point, but only the
kernel version 2.6.30 will allow WPA access and configure an IP address. The normal network connection wizard doesn't have much success - whereas Barry's simple connection wizard does connect.

I really like the ability to be able to choose kernels though.
It's not really a job for a newbie to have to correctly download and make an ISO out of these files, but having said that, if you are setting up up Puppy for someone on unfamiliar hardware, this system at least makes it easily possible to have a go with different kernels - thus allowing in many cases otherwise problematical hardware to get configured and made usable.

Yet more progress achieved!
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

elraven

wary 0.7 mix-n-match feedback

#38 Post by elraven »

hello Barry and everyone: To celibrate finally getting back on line , i decided to try wary 070 mix-n-match. I tried first the k2.6.30.5 updated and then k2.6.34.1. I'm glad i decided to try making my own iso. It's been a real eye 0pener , and it's so cool woo hoo! Ahem anyway.. Wary 070 with k2.6.30.5 updated loads and exists smoothly. It finds drivers for my network, graphics card and so forth. Wary 070 with k2.6.34.1 loads and goes to desktop, runs smooth and easy, but....
It's not finding my network or graphics card , or I should say . It has no drivers for them. I running an intel 2.66 with one gig of ram. Admittedly the ethernet card and graphics cards are alittle old. But all in all , I have to say this about the whole deal. I'm so sold on this mix-n-match concept ! Wary070 with k2.6.30.5 has become my favorite. I'd just like to say thank you Barry and all involved. As for those who are curious and are reading these threads , all i have to say is.... Come on you know you want to try it , take the plunge ; you'll be happy you did !
scinerely
elraven :D

rcrsn51

Re: Wary mix'n match issues

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

tronkel wrote:In 4.3.1 the Xorg wizard displayed the various resolution options and correctly set up xorg.conf to work with both the ATI Radeon 3450 video card and the HP 1907 LCD monitor.

With both of the these Wary kernels however, it is necessary to select the non-optimal screen resolution suggested by the wizard and then to manually edit xorg.conf to use the "radeonhd" driver instead of the "radeon" driver along with the optimal resolution of 1400x900. Video then works OK in either kernel using the optimal resolution. The problem seems therefore to point to the regressed XORG version.
I have the same issue with my Radeon card. My personal choice for a retro-Puppy would be an updated 4.3.1.

tronkel

Select-a-Pup script?

#40 Post by tronkel »

Come to think of it, it would be handy for newbies to have access to a nice little script with a GUI front-end that would automatically download the necessary files for a particular Wary and its kernel, build and then burn the ISO to CD. Call it Select-a-Pup?

I can foresee that future mainstream Puppy versions will all have the ability to offer the user various kernel choices as routine, so a script such has this might be a long-term investment.

rcrsn51

Re: Select-a-Pup script?

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

tronkel wrote:Come to think of it, it would be handy for newbies to have access to a nice little script with a GUI front-end that would automatically download the necessary files for a particular Wary and its kernel, build and then burn the ISO to CD. Call it Select-a-Pup?
Which creates an interesting chicken-versus-egg situation. I'm a newbie that needs a Puppy with support for my dialup modem. I am expected to download the ISO for a different Puppy, burn it, launch it and run a tool that builds the Puppy I need. But how do I get online to download it without the dialup support that I'm looking for in the first place?

Or do you see this as a Windows installer?

tronkel

#42 Post by tronkel »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Which creates an interesting chicken-versus-egg situation
That is a point perhaps. A newbie will very often be a Windows refugee or a refugee from some other Linux. If this is the case, but assuming he has dial-up access from Windows, he can then access any Puppy he likes including say a Puppy standard ISO to act as a launchpad into Linux. If there is no dial-up access from either Windows or another Linux, then he would in any case have to obtain his Puppy ISO via another route, e.g. from someone who does have an internet connection. This must be a common scenario.

I visualised this more as a general Linux script that would run in say Puppy itself and would allow even a newbie who already has a working Puppy (or some other Linux setup) to have easy access to other kernel builds in order to try to improve hardware recognition for internet connections as well as other issues such as e.g. video hardware.

Stripe

#43 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Just downloaded and created 2 iso,s 2.6.7.47 & 2.6.33 to test on my 800mhz box and see if it made a difference (no problem downloading the files and making the iso's) , tried them both out as clean frugal installs on my main machine (2x core AMD) and pmusic would only work properly on the 2.6.7.47 version. I have been testing lupid with 01micko, Playdayz and the team, and I had similar problems with some of the multimedia programs. I am only a Newbie but could the kernel version used to compile a program and make the pet affect the way it works with other kernel versions?

Edited to say
Still on the AMD X2 machine
Clean frugal install on 2.6.30.5- updated & 2.6.34.1 and audio problems with the installed software on both (the same as 511 and a woof built lucid (with Larry)) only installed audio software that works is on 2.6.7.47 as well as fluppy004 and puppy 4.31. (yet with 511 any audio software added as a pet works fine, have not tested this with wary yet)

Edited to update
Audio Software added as pets after frugal install works with wary, Installed software will work as a live CD or after a reboot on a frugal install as long as there is not a save file present. as soon as a save file is created the problems begin. (delete the save file and the audio is back to normal.)

Cheers
Stripe
Last edited by Stripe on Tue 07 Sep 2010, 13:28, edited 3 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#44 Post by Lobster »

I can foresee that future mainstream Puppy versions will all have the ability to offer the user various kernel choices as routine, so a script such has this might be a long-term investment.
As usual kernel choosing is a new game and a good one.
I have to use ready made ISO as I do not have the patience to download and glue my ISO together. So I used Shinobars effort (which he has also modified) - ah well . . . very pleased to be using Wary. 8)

So are some of you ISO creators gonna provide the ready made ISO?

Hope so.

Wary is working for me.
Things I miss from Lucid however . . . programs, ATI drivers all those quickpet goodies . . .
Barry is compiling some programs in between painting, I hope we get Openshot - wait a minute there is an SFS of that - maybe that will work . . .

Anyone written a pwget front-end GUI that downloads chosen kernel
+ files and calls up burniso2cd?

Tronkel could do it in Vala during his coffee break :wink:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rcrsn51

#45 Post by rcrsn51 »

I went back through some threads dealing with problematic old hardware and it seems like the best solutions were retro kernels such as 2.6.21.7 and 2.6.25.16.

Maybe those would be more appropriate choices for testing.

Billtoo

#46 Post by Billtoo »

I made an iso with the 2.6.34.1 kernel and burned it to a dvd and
tried it out on 3 computers.
On my core 2 quad it seemed to work okay, it was connected to the
internet on eth0 on first boot but as soon as I created a save file
and installed the devx file the internet was no longer
connected.Running the setup wizard didn't help, it couldn't find etho
and I plugged in a linksys usb wireless adaptor and it couldn't see
that either.No modules would load, eth0 or wireless. (gave up)

On my hp core 2 duo the network worked fine, that computer uses a
linksys usb adaptor.The keyboard didn't work properly, the arrows keys
wouldn't work although the arrow keys on the numeric keypad side did
work. (gave up)

On my Eeepc 701 which has an external 19' lcd and a fullsized usb
keyboard attached, xorg wouldn't work.Vesa worked but the resolution
wouldn't go higher than the maximum for the builtin screen which isn't
so good on the external 19" lcd.Problem with keyboard arrow keys on
this on too.

I tried adding the kernel source sfs file (which I tracked down on
your blog) and installing that and then downloading the proprietory
(sp?) drivers and exiting to the prompt (ati x1600 on the hp and
nvidia 8600 gt on the core 2 quad) and running the file but it got
errors in both cases and it's beyond me how to correct that.

After several hours of trying this kernel and failing in one way or
another,I think 2.6.30.5 is the one for me :)

tronkel

#47 Post by tronkel »

Just been playing with Vala/Glade in Wary 5 with the 2.6.30 kernel.

Seems to be working well as far as I can tell from a test build.

Since Vala compiling as well as the Valaide IDE seem to be broken in Lucid 5.1.1 at the moment, a temporary work-around is to use Wary 5 to do the compiling for 5.1.1. The Vala executables work OK in 5.1.1.

James C

#48 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of Wary 070 (2.6.34.1) on my main Linux box.Display and internet working on initial boot.....had Alsa wizard to get sound working. settings have been retained through several reboots.
Working fine.

VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 070

Chip description:
oem: S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR Family BIOS
product: VBE 3.0 Rev 0.0

Driver used by Xorg:
savage

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1002MB (134MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.07
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 07 Sep 2010 03:53:46 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

Billtoo

#49 Post by Billtoo »

After seeing the message of James C. I had another go with my 2.6.34.1
live dvd on my acer desktop.
The first attached jpeg shows just after booting with pfix=ram and
having gone through xorg etc.
The second attached jpeg shows after rebooting and creating a save
file, nothing else, didn't load any sfs files etc.
Note the lower right hand corner in both pictures for network status
and the time of day.
Attempting to load network modules after the second boot didn't work,
it didn't see eth0 and no module that I tried would load.
Attachments
acerquad1.jpg
(143.63 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
acerquad2.jpg
(135.6 KiB) Downloaded 673 times

piratesmack

#50 Post by piratesmack »

Just noticed this on the Gparted site:
WARNING: GParted 0.6.0 contains two serious bugs when copying or moving partitions. For more details see: Bug #623630, and Bug #623697.
Can you upgrade Gparted in the next release?