Legacy OS (TEENpup) Feedback is it booting?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#31 Post by James C »

svgt wrote:Hello James,

In your root directory I count 17 files and folders. But I have got only six things:

boot lost&found idehd initrd.gz pup_214.sfs zdrv_214.sfs. Why is there this difference?

Why did you make a /boot directory? In my full installation /boot was there from the beginning, with /grub folder inside. My menu.lst is for Legacy the same, except this atahd parameter.

Regards
Svgt
You have the files for a frugal install listed there.For a frugal install there is the "idehd" file, and initrd.gz ,pup_214.sfs, zdrv_214.sfs and vmlinuz...........a boot directory isn't needed.

A full install should look like my screenshot in the other post.
Attachments
legacy os disc-mounted.png
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 1691 times

James C

#32 Post by James C »

I've switched over and running a frugal install of Puppy 432 now, posting a screenie of the frugal install directory.
Attachments
frugal 432 install.png
(103.11 KiB) Downloaded 1661 times

svgt

Success with my installation

#33 Post by svgt »

Hello James,

Thank you for help and the right hints. I did a frugal installation by mistake. I repeated the installation as full hdd installation. Now I have got a fair and beautiful LegacyOs at my machine. Not any intervention or change of menu.lst or folders.

There are two crucial points in the installation procedure. I have this idea for improvement:

When there is the question, where are the LegacyOs installation files, cd or directory, you get a surprising fatal message for the cd selection. Then you should mount it, and you should point at the correct files vmlinuz etc. This is not user friendly. And I stumbled upon it. In Puppy 431 and Lucid 51 this point is easier to manage.

The decision window for frugal or full installation doesn't help. The text is extremely confusing. The options 1 and 2 are listed in the reverse order. For newbies too difficult.

James C

Re: Success with my installation

#34 Post by James C »

svgt wrote:Hello James,

Thank you for help and the right hints. I did a frugal installation by mistake. I repeated the installation as full hdd installation. Now I have got a fair and beautiful LegacyOs at my machine. Not any intervention or change of menu.lst or folders.

There are two crucial points in the installation procedure. I have this idea for improvement:

When there is the question, where are the LegacyOs installation files, cd or directory, you get a surprising fatal message for the cd selection. Then you should mount it, and you should point at the correct files vmlinuz etc. This is not user friendly. And I stumbled upon it. In Puppy 431 and Lucid 51 this point is easier to manage.

The decision window for frugal or full installation doesn't help. The text is extremely confusing. The options 1 and 2 are listed in the reverse order. For newbies too difficult.
Glad to hear of your success. :)

I agree also, the installer needs some attention. The newer installers are much easier to understand and use.

alfa and omega

Legacy Boot!

#35 Post by alfa and omega »

Hello John!!

I downloaded the Legacy today and gave the boot on my computer and not run. I believe it's because my computer is very current. Family PC 485 80GB HD 1GB RAM and dual core processor 2.25 GH.
I use the mini TeenPup beta and runs normally.
Is there any way you can help me so that I can boot from the CDROM?
Thanks and congratulations!

God bless you!!

Alfa and omega from Brazil!

jduffy22335

Re: Legacy OS (TEENpup) Feedback is it booting?

#36 Post by jduffy22335 »

[
I have been unable to boot from the CD when it is SATA CDROM nor the expansion boards such as the Promise ATA133. It show that searching SDXX, but no joy.

All that have Actual IDE CDROM seem to boot correctly.

Overall nice look and feel !

svgt

Adblock in Opera ?

#37 Post by svgt »

I want to use a blocker like Adblock in Opera. How can I manage that?

Sage

#38 Post by Sage »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 952c78e399
Well said, johnbiles!

But nothing will stop the over-endowed, quad-core terahertz kiddies from writing in! LegacyOS == Legacy box. It's reading and comprehension lessons that are required, and maybe MrOED instead of MrWebster!
Lots of things didn't work as intended or at all with lots of distros, even a few years back - sometimes fiddling was required, not necessarily with the SW.

Having verified that there are absolutely no problems running your magnum opus as a live CD on any of my AMD machines, ATI & nV, this morning I set about doing some FULL installations. Apart from one Fujitsu HD which, although fully functional, defeats many Linux installs, I have to report that there really are no problems installing with truly bog standard kit. There is no need to mount/unmount, place files in specific directories, edit GRUB or anything else - it all works just as 2.14 did. So, forget MPs, forget massive memory resources, use a recycled Quantum/Seagate HD of 10Gb or less for LegacyOS, keep your data on separate media and bingo - everything works. And, yes, the FULL install is much faster and requires less resources than the liveCD.

Those folks who find themselves with too much dosh in their pockets might consider sending some to their favourite charities instead of fueling the DWintel spiralling cartel?

dealora

#39 Post by dealora »

I do not detect sound blaster 16 with alsaconf nor-wifi usb tp-link setup with network wn321g

nancy reagan

Value the user guide

#40 Post by nancy reagan »

Just downloaded not yet installed because of computer problems.

What struck me the user guide, wished was provided more often.

Looking forward to the install. Thanks.

Roy

#41 Post by Roy »

John,

Thank you for yet another version / update of your work. To be perfectly honest, after using TEENpup2009 for a time (different computer), the mere fact that your name is on this is good enough for me!

However, I do have a small issue when taking Legacy out for a spin (LiveCD mode) on my desktop... the network wizard freezes @ 25 ~ 30% through when scanning for a wireless connection and a hard shutdown is the only way to get my mouse or menus to function again. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace resets X, but without a mouse pointer. At other times, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace dumps me to a black screen. Guess that was the wrong course of action on this machine.

Legacy shows my wireless driver as RT61 (unknown description). Wary 060 shows the module as rt61pci (pci RaLink RT2561/RT61 PCI). Wary connects; Legacy and Ttuuxxx's 214X-RC5 do not connect, although Ttuuxxx's versions do not freeze while running the (old style) Network wizard. Pwireless (2.14-based builds) does not show any of the wireless access points present.

Is it possible that I just don't have the correct wireless driver? I do realize that these aren't your target machine specs, but they are:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce 6100]
(and an old 15-inch CRT for a monitor)
Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
2985MB RAM
250GB IDE HD

I have not attempted a frugal install yet, as I have no wired connectivity within sight. But nancyreagan (above) just made an excellent point -- your user guide is a fantastic touch! I'm telling you -- your name really carries a lot of weight with me when I see it on your work.

-Roy

sneekylinux

#42 Post by sneekylinux »

Just my 10 pence worth here,had no problem booting from CD,although had to use vesa on 2 machines,as peeps have said,the installer is round the wrong way,and when trying to do network more than once it don't like it,and will not work,but i did not try more tools.
apart from that no problems for me.
And the video is up on youtube if anyone wants to have a peek,but beware it is over 10 mins long..

rsherrod

Legacy OS (TEENpup)

#43 Post by rsherrod »

I can't boot your new release. The message is "ERROR, cannot find
Puppy on 'idecd' boot media."

I had no problems with your previous versions.

Ladislav

I have downloaded the iso three times and burn it to five disks and used a 633, 933 and atom setups. I got the same the same message with each. All have run TEENpup mini with no problems.

john biles

#44 Post by john biles »

Hello Roy,
Look under "my documents/help-info" I've included some Wireless Pets etc from the Puppy forum and the forum posts on using them. May be of help.

Hello sneekylinux,
Thank you for taking the time to do a video review of Legacy OS.
I've included a link on my "Legacy OS Website Page" so anyone coming from Distrowatch will see it straight away. Thank you for going through the menu and showing the large amount of Applications included. Excellent!

Hello rsherrod,
TEENpup 2010 mini beta is based on Puppy 4.2.1 release in 2009 which Legacy OS is based on Puppy 2.14 released 2007. A lot in relation to Wifi, Graphic Cards, Duo Core, the release of the EeePC and more has change big time between the original Puppy 2.14 release and later Puppy 4.2.1 release. Today Puppy 5.0.1 takes that a step further. Puppy 5.0.1 works perfectly on my fathers HP Netbook. He has start up issues with Ubuntu 10.04 remix so no Distro sadly will fill everyones needs. TEENpup 2010 mini beta on his HP Netbook has a number of issues also.
So what I'm trying to say is that while they are both basically TEENpup releases, they are further apart in fulfilling different hardware requirements than first thought. A plain old Windows 98 / Me PC has more chance of working with Legacy OS than a 3 Ghz Pentium 4 with 2 Gb's of Ram, a mega Graphics Card that Ubuntu 10.04 would find heaven.

Just remember having success with "TEENpup 2010 mini beta" on your hardware is no guaranty at all that "Legacy OS" will be the same.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

wuwei

#45 Post by wuwei »

Sorry John,

I am still unable to boot LegacyOS.

Switched to an 8 year old AMD single core PC, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, dedicated partition for Legacy only. Manual frugal install to / and alternatively to /boot with vmlinuz and initrd.gz.

Tried the grub stanza as per my previous post of Sept 3rd in this thread, as well as Nooby's posted here on Sept 4th. None is working.

It might help if you could provide a tried and proven menu.lst entry for a frugal install of Legacy to a dedicated partition.

I did try out your magnificent OS from CD. It boots and it is very promising. Too bad I can't get it to boot frugally :cry:

Thanks

john biles

#46 Post by john biles »

Hello wuwei,
I always do a full install not frugal Sorry! Is it possible to see if a full install to hard Drive works or will it upset something else already on your hard drive?

wuwei

#47 Post by wuwei »

Thanks for your answer John.

I can try a full install. Since there is a dedicated partition for Legacy, it should not mess up anythig else.
The existing /boot/grub on another partition can be saved beforehand. I will try it tomorrow.

Roy

#48 Post by Roy »

John,

Thanks for responding. After installing your included rt61 wireless pet and rebooting the CD with a save file on my HD, I am still freezing up when initiating a wireless network scan. Rutilt shows:

Code: Select all

Critical error:
Can't trigger scanning.
Code: 100
I did, however manage to install that same wireless .pet on Ttuxxx's 214XRC5 and had success with Pwireless for an unencrypted connection (rt61 does not support WPA but rt2561/rt61 pci does). Ttuuxxx's traditional Network Wizard still showed 'No modems detected', even with the Pwireless connection.

This desktop is 5+ years old, but I only recently (this year) found a wireless card that was linux-compatible. Maybe the card is just too new?

-Roy

wuwei

#49 Post by wuwei »

This kind of a failure hasn't happened for me in a long time, but I can't get this legacy Puppy to boot.

I am shy to do a full install, because I have grub on another partition and in the MBR. Don't want to mess this up.

Then I spend about an hour+ to find grub stanzas for a manual frugal install and tried several of them. Without success unfortunately. The boot procedure stops already at loading the relevant hdb3 partition.

Next was a start from CD with the goal to create a pup_save file. This works fine until I am trying to install a nVidia driver. (Desktop is awfully shifted to the right without one).
Even the wellminded search does not detect a nVidia-96 driver for kernel 2.6.18.This "InstallNvidia-Puppy-2.12-and-2.13.pup" is as close as I can find any. Yet, that results in a black screen and no way out except by cutting the power.

Well? Guess I have to go without LegacyOS :cry:

john biles

#50 Post by john biles »

Hello wuwei,
Have a play with the 3D Control Center Dotpup as well as the Nvidia Dotpup while running live and see if this helps. Someone posted a Driver problem like yours in relation to TEENpup 2009 Legacy and got it working. May be you'll have same luck to. :D

Link http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/3D-Control-Center/