Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 16:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Surfboard x86
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
alas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep 2010, 04:10    Post subject:  

thanks everyone for the your posts.

Lupu 5.1: I did not try it on the surfboard, because I need wikidpad, and I did not find one to use with Lupu 5.1. If someone could point me to a solution for wikidpad, i shall then install lupu 5.1 on the surfboard and give a feedback here.

youtube: yes, I could use a lightweight browser, or even download flv files in order to watch them off line; I could use html5 youtube, or mobile youtube etc. But I wanted to address the general problem with flash contents, and it is not limited to youtube, but to every flash content on the net; given this, the surfboard does not get the job done with flash content, what makes browsing flash content online a very frustrating experience.

APM: I don't care much about switching the surfboard or the edubook by pressing the on/off button, but indeed, it is one issue that i did not expect while buying the devices, and which is not solved (exception: the unofficial release 4.32 with the kernel patch).

xorg: using puppy linux 4.31 (gecko edubook edition), i can get xorg up and running with the rdc driver; but as my resolution won't be catched up, it does not behave correctly; after one hour using the surfboard, I get a little light-grey square stuck at my mouse pointer, and I have to reboot X in order to get rid of it; so, I switched back to xvesa... Here too, I should try lupu 5.1 to see if it solves the problem.
alas

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep 2010, 06:05    Post subject: lupu 5.11  

so, I have tried lupu 5.11 on the surfboard.

as expected, the built-in wifi works out of the box, as sound.

but no success with X. I tried all the rdc drivers provided by deviceonchip.com, to no go.

I can use the xvesa server, but this does not make any difference with what I have by now using puppy linux 4.31. I can't get a resolution at 1366x768, and I am stuck at 1024x768
cobyhoff

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2010, 12:30    Post subject: APM  

Regarding the grey box around the cursor, I too experience that aberration. Any time I click on something that brings up a context menu, it invokes that grey box that will not go away. The behavior remains consistent in the various versions of Puppy that I have tried. (4.3.1, 4.3.2, 5.1.1). I suppose that means that X isn't actually working flawlessly as I previously implied. Smile

I sympathize about the lack of a correct display resolution. I really dislike skewed aspect ratios and pixel mismatch dithering. Drives me nuts.

I'm surprised, though, that the Surfboard should behave any differently in X than the Edubook. Is it just the grey box that is the problem, or does it not work at all? Does it work if you try to run it at 800x600 or 1024x768? When I tried Puppy 4.3.1, it wouldn't work at the Edubook's 1024x600 resolution, but would work at 800x600 or 1024x768. Again, I can't stand stretched aspect ratios, and 1024x768 actually cut off the bottom 168 pixels of the screen.

I'm sorry my posts don't actually have solutions. I do want to contribute to a solution, if I am able.
alas

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2010, 14:19    Post subject:  

hi, thanks for your post. Ah, you know, solutions.... say, we are just doing it for the sake of it, important thing is to stimulate our brain on this.

Xorg.: as you have pointed it out, yes, I did believe that the surfboard would behave like the edubook. But this is not true. With the surfboard and Lupu 5.11 for example, I can not get another resolution working, like 1024x768. Ok, it seems that the rdc drivers for the edubook provided by deviceonchip.com did not match the version of the xorg-server in Lupu 5.11.

With puppy 4.31 (edubook edition), I am using the xvesa-server because I can't get the 1366x768 resolution with xorg, and get the grey square with xorg (not with xvesa). BUT: with the edubook, no problem the get the right resolution with xorg. Also, I have seen that the rdc driver displays different choices in xorgwizard on the gecko edubook, than on the surfboard. Typically, on the edubook i get choices beginning with h... something. On the surfboard, I have the usual resolutions shown as 1024x768 OK for card, OK for monitor.

So I suspect that some features are slightly different on the surfboard in comparison to the gecko edubook.

A this point, I think that one has two solution:

- compile a lot of things anew for the surfboard;
- wait for an improvement coming from the team at deviceonchip.

Anyway, I am too much busy at the moment to compile things, so I shall wait for new improvements coming from device on chip.

Alas
cobyhoff

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2010, 16:05    Post subject: Difference between Surfboard and Edubook  

The difference just occurred to me. The internal display in the Edubook is a digital connection. (LVDS or FPD-Link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPD-Link.) That communicates both ways from the monitor to the graphics chipset. I assume your Surfboard is connected to your monitor via VGA (15pin DSUB).

It makes perfect sense to me that the same graphics chipset and drivers might behave completely different on an analog VGA connection than it does on a digital LVDS connection. Unfortunately, this does nothing to resolve the problem, just puts my mind at ease to have an explanation.
alas

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep 2010, 16:27    Post subject:  

thanks, it's nice to know that. Unfortunately I don't have any other choice left for monitors. Don't you find it strange, that the people at x86core were not aware of this, since the surfboard, I think, could frequently be plugged using a 15 pin cable to a vga monitor? Na, again something more to learn at my side, probably. thanks again for the comment, it makes sense to me too now.
pskin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec 2010, 00:48    Post subject: rtl8188SU wifi drive  

alas,
You mentioned using puppy 4.31 edubook edition and having trouble
compiling the rtl8188su driver from deviceonchip.

In case you want to try, I found that the version of the driver
at the link below compiled without any problems (on an edubook
running pup-431 edubook edition).
However, I do not actually own that adapter, so I have no way
of knowing whether the driver loads and works properly, and would be
interested in hearing about it.

http://csiuo.com/drupal/content/installing-driver-hiro-h50193-wireless-usb-network-adapter-0bda8171-under-ubuntu-910

-pskin
alas

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec 2010, 05:40    Post subject:  

pskin,

thanks for the link, I am not at my surfboard now, but will give it a try and report back on this forum soon.

I have seen on deviceonchip.com that you have a patch for puppy 4.31 in order to add modules (your 14MB file); I would very much like to test it on my gecko edubook and on the surfboard since I am using puppy 4.31 on both of them.

I have had no luck with xorg resolution on the surfboard, so your patch could maybe solve some of my issues.

many thanks, and merry Xmas.

alas
pskin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 07:17    Post subject: pup-431-edubook update  

alas,
Merry Christmas to you too.
I am looking for a place to upload. Several I looked at are not suitable
since there are lots of ads/surveys to view before downloading.
I will try to email you the xdelta3 patch of the main pup431.sfs file,
since that is smaller (7.7 MB) and all of the updates are in that
(No changes to kernel or initrd.)

-pskin
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 09:39    Post subject: Re: pup-431-edubook update  

pskin wrote:
alas,
Merry Christmas to you too.
I am looking for a place to upload. Several I looked at are not suitable
since there are lots of ads/surveys to view before downloading.
I will try to email you the xdelta3 patch of the main pup431.sfs file,
since that is smaller (7.7 MB) and all of the updates are in that
(No changes to kernel or initrd.)

-pskin

If you send me a link via pm I'll upload it to a server, same goes with anyone else, Just make sure you tell me its for the surfboard,
I'm also been building/updating 4.3.2 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60026
Once I get the few bugs out of it, I'll rebuild it with the vortex kernel Barry compiled for the edubook. That should work well with the Surfboard also.
ttuuxxx

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 09:42    Post subject:  

Pskin, how big is the file? If it's not too big, the forum should be able to host it. If not, maybe one of the hosts in this thread will work for you.
nooby

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 14:31    Post subject:  

Interesting that it can manage with only 0.5W that is low indeed. I guess the sound of the fan is making you mad then. Smile Needs a big fan to get all that heat out from the keyboard.

Keep us posted on how you succeed for find a puppy that works on it to your satisfaction, such is always welcomed to others that buy the same thing and look in vain on other forum and then see a Puppy that works that would be cool.

I love computers that are very silent and this one should be dead silent I guess.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 16:20    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Interesting that it can manage with only 0.5W that is low indeed. I guess the sound of the fan is making you mad then. Smile Needs a big fan to get all that heat out from the keyboard.

Keep us posted on how you succeed for find a puppy that works on it to your satisfaction, such is always welcomed to others that buy the same thing and look in vain on other forum and then see a Puppy that works that would be cool.

I love computers that are very silent and this one should be dead silent I guess.

Its 100% silent, no fans at all, plus the way the surfboard is made, it has a lot of space inside the keyboard case so it gets proper air circulation.
ttuuxxx

nooby

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 17:06    Post subject:  

Very cool that it needs no fan at all. My Acer D250 start the fan now and then but is rather silent the most silent computer I have but the newly bought cheaper Acer D255 is terrible in that the fan is running often and is whining a lot. Annoying so I envy you indeed.

So now you only need to find all the drivers then to get something going that is hopefully will be a think one can have fun with. Wish they sold such in Sweden- I would buy one instantly.

Keep us posted how it goes to get everything working.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 17:14    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Very cool that it needs no fan at all. My Acer D250 start the fan now and then but is rather silent the most silent computer I have but the newly bought cheaper Acer D255 is terrible in that the fan is running often and is whining a lot. Annoying so I envy you indeed.

So now you only need to find all the drivers then to get something going that is hopefully will be a think one can have fun with. Wish they sold such in Sweden- I would buy one instantly.

Keep us posted how it goes to get everything working.

Hi nooby they sell them everywhere Smile Basically you buy it online and they ship anywhere in the world, I had it shipped to Australia for $174 USD or $196AUD including shipping and with the video out option included, so that I can connect it to a tv .
ttuuxxx

Page 2 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: