Legacy OS released (Formerly TEENpup)

News, happenings
john biles

Legacy OS released (Formerly TEENpup)

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Today sees the release of Legacy OS Linux, formerly TEENpup Linux. After 8 months of development I am proud to now offer Legacy OS for download.

This release marks the moving away of Legacy OS from a teenager based Distro to a Distro which sole purpose is to rescue 5 to 10 year old PC's / laptop's from ending up in Landfill. To do this it has to be usable in a real world environment and provide compliance with current online standards. A user wants to be able to connect online and have an acceptable Internet experience. Legacy OS comes with Opera 10.10 Web Browser as default which is also the default Email Client. Some System Files have been updated to allow the current version of Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Java 1.6 and other required Plugins / Codecs to operate in what in reality is a Legacy Operating System. By building on a system base that is now 4 to 7
years old, gives a User access to a base of System Drivers that are no longer supported by the majority of Linux Distro's available today. Because of the Legacy nature of the Operating System, a very large selection of useful Applications come standard with the Distro and most users won't feel the need to install any extra software. In this release you'll find no Open Office? Why? It was felt that Abiword and Gnumeric would allow a user to still write the odd letter and may be do a spreadsheet. Open Office takes up a large amount of MB's on the CD that could be put to better use. This has allowed the inclusion of a large number of extra Applications that would otherwise not find themselves included. Legacy OS comes with a new Dark Look Theme as default. Both KDE and GTK2 based Applications and some Java Based Applications use this theme. Some will love it and some will hate it. So why the Dark Look? It was felt that a Dark Theme would appear more modern than the Light Themes that have been used in the past and to move Legacy OS away from the "Windows Vista" Look TEENpup 2009 Legacy had. A lot of testing was done during the development of this Dark Look Theme to make sure all Applications still displayed their font colors correctly and fonts simply didn't just disappear into the background. This is a "Long Term Release" and with this in mind has been developed for a user to install and use for 2 to 3 years before updating.

Download from this link first before trying others.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 1563.shtml

http://www.meownplanet.net/puppylinuxstuff/TEENpup/
You'll need to use these to download
User = puppy password = linux

See Screenshots at this link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59333
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Well done, johnbiles. D/l in action right now.
[But I think you mean formerly?!].

Ooooh! Everything seems to work, even video. Now there's a nice surprise!
Looks good, too. Runs comfortably in 256/liveCD which probably means OK in 192/installed.

timremy

wire connection

#3 Post by timremy »

hello

tried legacy this morning and would not find my etho internet connection.

other pups, like, 214x rc4 and 214x top3 worked fined.

maybe i did something wrong.

i am trying to find out about driver r1000 pci. at least thats what the other

214x's say they found.

looks great though and is loaded with everything you would need.

timremy

timremy

confused

#4 Post by timremy »

hello john biles

i am running teenpu 2010 mini right now and it is nice.

i noticed its from 421 and legacy is from 214.

yes i am stupid, but everything connects to etho

but legacy.

anyway teenpup 2010 mini is real nice.

any help you can give this idiot, (me), will be appreciated.

timremy

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

Legacy 2010 is listed on Distrowatch.
Way to go! :)

nitehawk

#6 Post by nitehawk »

I saw the listing on Distrowatch, too! Since I'm on this blasted slow dialup,...looked for Legacy on some of the better online Linux stores. Yup,...it's there, all right! Getting a copy ASAP. This looks good, john biles.

retry3

#7 Post by retry3 »

Looking forward to trying Legacy OS. John Biles has helped me with some problems that I posted on the forum, for which I am grateful, so I eagerly tried to download Legacy.

I have DSL connection ,which is just barely OK, and am running Lupup 5.1 using Seamonkey; first attempt resulted in the download manager saying it was "finished" when only 60.2 MB were received. It was a slow connection if that is any clue. The info on the downloader said that the iso was 696MB total. Needless to say, the disk I burned of the iso did not work.

Second try, the connection speed was up to par but I only got 490 MB before the downloader said "finished". I tried retry, pause, start but the rest of the file would not come.

I post this FWIW as I don't have any idea what the problem is but the info might help someone else with a similar experience.

Regards, retry

john biles

#8 Post by john biles »

Hello retry3,
Seamonkey always had a habit of claiming that a download had finished even though it hadn't even on small files. You need a downloading Application like "Prozilla" Do you have an earlier copy of TEENpup as Prozilla is included. I have downloaded 100's of iso's even on Dial Up with no problems.

oligin10

Legacy OS #1 on Linux Softpedia

#9 Post by oligin10 »

Hi John, congratulations! Legacy OS is #1 on Linux Softpedia 7 Day Top Download list.

retry3

#10 Post by retry3 »

john biles wrote:Hello retry3,
Seamonkey always had a habit of claiming that a download had finished even though it hadn't even on small files. You need a downloading Application like "Prozilla" Do you have an earlier copy of TEENpup as Prozilla is included. I have downloaded 100's of iso's even on Dial Up with no problems.
Thank you John Biles, it looks like you were right to point the finger at Seamonkey.

First I tried to get Prozilla from the #5 Pet Repo but since it was not listed I opted for "Filezilla" because it was in the "zilla" family. There was a notice that I didn't have some sort of X server that apparently was needed to run Filezilla (Vesa is needed on this laptop under Lupu 5 because of the ATI graphis I was informed) but I went ahead anyway, and of course it didn"t work.

Next I tried the Uget Pet from the repo but that didn't work for me either.

Next I thought about the browser angle you brought up and switched to Barry's Simple Network Browser and started another download. It was going fairly fast until @ 50MB it froze the PC.

Then tried the "..secure downloader" in the internet menu and it worked like a charm.

Am now using Legacy OS to send you my thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards,
Retry3

Aitch

#11 Post by Aitch »

Hi John
Just trying LegacyOS

214R has always been a favourite of mine, and Opera 10.10 makes all the difference, though full screen youtube struggles [SIS/ALI mobo 1.8Ghz AMD/256mb ram]

As usual, I still find the network wizard doesn't correctly get me on the net

I find with UK Virgin ISP, that for some reason, I get dns failure - hence no network....and the only ones I can easily remember are Verizon's 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3....which work well

I also often recommend OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Will let you know how everything else works

Nice Desktop! :D

Aitch :)

cretsiah

having to redownload LegacyOS

#12 Post by cretsiah »

I dont know if this is of interest to anyone but,

I pulled out an old IBM ThinkPad A21m last night, yep thats right designed for Win98 and Win 2000 (professional) , its going back a bit.

Known Specs:

- 128 meg Ram
- 8 meg Video Card (not sure of branding)
- DVD Rom
- CPU 800Mhz
- cirius 46XX sound fusion
and yes LegacyOS was working on it, not sure about the audio n video stuff (I think I screwed that up accidently hence the re-down-loading of the iso).

what was i able to achieve, read some news, logged into facebook (update) youtube, cd plays fine.

ok so maybe I wont be able to play the really high n fancy games and i had swap set at around 800megs, but hey I was online (using ethernet connection, I think WIFI would have been pushing it)

john biles

#13 Post by john biles »

Hello cretsiah,
Thanks for the info and specifications. Legacy OS 2 won't work on everything, but when it does a user can get some life back out of what most would call an item only useful as landfill.

Your posting might get others to try Legacy OS 2 as well :!:

PenguinPupLin

Frugal install Legacy OS

#14 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Can I run Legacy OS as a frugal install on a WinXP notebook without creating a partition for it as I don't wish to accidentally mess up WinXP? Btw,I already have quicksetwary511 and 214X-TOP9 frugal installed and wish to do the same for Legacy OS. My notebk specs: Acer Travelmate TM632 (since 2002) with Pentium4 cpu 1.6 Ghz, ALI chipset motherboard,512MB ram,80GB harddisk,integrated graphics NVidia Geforce2go using shared memory 16MB, and wireless pcmcia adapter DLink DWL-G630(hopefully this works on Legacy OS 2). And I would like to create a swap file 512MB,not swap partition, and read somewhere doing so using GParted in Linux on NTFS is not advisable;better to do it in WinXP but not sure how. Any suggestion,advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. If Legacy OS works fine on this notebk, I might try it on a few other lower specs notebooks,eg Toshiba P3 1GHz cpu with 256MB RAM (another one has only 128MB) and WinXP OS. Wonder if youtube videos runs reasonably OK on such machines as this is what my young nephews and nieces enjoy watching besides online gaming. Thanks in advance.

john biles

#15 Post by john biles »

Hello PenguinPupLin,
Legacy OS 2 allows frugal installs and you should find the installer to be very similar to other Puppy versions. I reworded some of the installer to hopefully make it easier for someone to install. Run the installer ignoring using Gparted and at the correct time chose frugal instead of a full install.

Just remember you do this at your own risk!!! Good Luck!

PenguinPupLin

LegacyOS2 frugal install

#16 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Hi, I manually did a frugal install of Legacy OS2 in a multi-boot environment(after the LegacyOS2 livecd I prepared failed to work due to the corrupted kernel module) but couldn't get it to boot the 1st time in RAM mode and create a pupsave file. It said something like not being able to find puppy sfs in idehd... PUPMODE=1 PDEV1= and dropped to a command line. Being still a linux noob,I didn't know what to do. Noticed my menu.lst also has Classic Pup214X-TOP9 installed as well as other puppies and Windows(WinXP) which was why I wanted to boot pfix=ram so as not to load the pupsave file already created for Classic Pup214X-TOP9(for which do I need to add PUPSAVE=?) :-
timeout=5
default=0
gfxmenu=/Grub_GUI.gz

title Classic Pup 214X-Top9
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/Pup214X/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir="Pup214X" pfix=fsck
initrd (hd0,0)/Pup214X/initrd.gz

title Classic Pup 214X - Do not load save file
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/Pup214X/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir="Pup214X" video=640x480 pfix=ram,fsck
initrd (hd0,0)/Pup214X/initrd.gz

title Legacy OS 2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/LegacyOS2/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir="LegacyOS2" pfix=fsck
initrd (hd0,0)/LegacyOS2/initrd.gz

title Legacy OS 2 - Do not load save file
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/LegacyOS2/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir="LegacyOS2" video=640x480 pfix=ram,fsck

title Quickset Wary Puppy Linux 511
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Wary-511/initrd.gz
kernel /Wary-511/vmlinuz psubdir="Wary-511" pfix=fsck
initrd /Wary-511/initrd.gz
boot

title Quickset Wary Puppy Linux 511 - Do not load save file
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Wary-511/initrd.gz
kernel /Wary-511/vmlinuz psubdir="Wary-511" pfix=ram
initrd /Wary-511/initrd.gz
boot

title Wary Puppy Linux 522
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Wary-522/initrd.gz
kernel /Wary-522/vmlinuz psubdir="Wary-522" pfix=fsck
initrd /Wary-522/initrd.gz
boot

title Wary Puppy Linux 522 - Do not load save file
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Wary-522/initrd.gz
kernel /Wary-522/vmlinuz psubdir="Wary-522" pfix=ram
initrd /Wary-522/initrd.gz
boot

[I had thought just copying the Classic 214X cfg and modifying it accordingly should do the trick as they are quite similar programs;as it is,getting 214X-TOP9 to work by adding root=/dev/ram0 was thanks to a kind samaritan] Any help greatly appreciated.

PenguinPupLin

pupsave creation problem in Legacy OS2

#17 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Hi, John Biles, many thanks for Legacy OS2 which I 'm going to use to revive 8 to 12 yr-old desktops and noteboks.
Right now,I've a problem creating a pupsave file for my frugal install Legacy OS 2 in my WinXP notebook without an ext2 partition. I was able to boot up successsfully in RAM mode using the following boot codes in menu.lst (only relevant part shown):

title Legacy OS 2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/LegacyOS2/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd pfix=fsck
boot

title Legacy OS 2 - Do not load savefile
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/LegacyOS2/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd pfix=ram pfix=4 (all in one line,of course)
boot

With vmlinuz and initrd in /LegacyOS2 and the rest in / of C: ntfs partition,I was able to boot up in RAM mode. But each time when I reboot and chose to create a pup_save.2fs in ntfs I was stuck. It would take ages,literally hours,until I was forced to hard reset or power-cycle my notebook. The first time I chose a size of 1GB,only 635MB was created, the second time,I chose 512MB ,it created only 85MB. Needless to say,each time I tried to boot normally, it failed at the pup_save.2fs part, folowed by a list of error messages in red, then pausing for 60 secs, then loading kernel and hanged there indefinitely.

Please tell me what's wrong as I really like your choice of applications that work and your willingness to keep your repositories updated. It saved me the trouble of trying an older or outdated puppies that work for my "dying" PCs only to face the problem of how to update the old applications and fix bugs,etc, which I struggled to cope.

PenguinPupLin

#18 Post by PenguinPupLin »

At last managed to successfully create pup_save.2fs. Sorry,its my fault - I overlooked the defragmentation part in WinXP ntfs partition. I skipped that part because I thought I'd just done it for the previous puppies, and disk analysis said no defragmentation necessary with only 1% file and 0% free space fragmented. Only after defrag that I could do so;looks like that warning message means business - it took me more than an hour to defrag an 80GB harddisk,so I was tempted to take a shortcut.

Another thing to bring to your attention is installing the Opera12Alpha,tar,gz from your respository didn't remove/update the default/original Opera 10.10 browser - it's presented in the Internet Browser as an alternative and opening it showed it's indeed ver 10.10 while Opera12Alpha is ver12.

john biles

#19 Post by john biles »

Hello PenguinPupLin,
Sorry I haven't replied to your questions as I'm currently working 9 days straight leaving only time for development of Legacy OS 4 Mini.

I glad you found a solution to your save file.

OK why is Opera 12 added as an edition to the menu leaving Opera 10 in place?
It basically all comes down to Java. A number of Applications in Legacy OS 2 are Java based. Experiments while developing Legacy OS 2 found that a number of these Applications stopped working with newer versions of Java.

Simply Opera 12 is looking for newer versions of Java then the version installed so Opera 12 won't support Java based Websites, Opera 10 will.

OK so why make Opera 12 available if Java doesn't work? HTML5 !
You may have noticed some sites crash Opera 10. By giving a user both options they are sure to be able to get what they need from the Net. Not pretty but it works.

PenguinPupLin

#20 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Hi John,need to trouble you again.
How do I make swap file work in Legacy OS 2 ?
I installed the winfonts-3.4.pet but it didn't show up in the menu. I doubt creating a pupswap.swp file in /mnt/home will work either. And, frankly, I don't intend to create a swap partition. Hope to have your expert guidance.