PCMCIAUTILS.....Need to upgrade

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
monkey123

PCMCIAUTILS.....Need to upgrade

#1 Post by monkey123 »

I have an really old laptop Gateway solo 2100 with Puppy installed on it and my pcmcia uses the cardmgr which is no longer being supported.

However my problem is, is that I can not add almost anything to this laptop without being able to use my pcmcia cardbus. I have two cards, a usb 2.0 card and a wifi card.

How do I install the pcmciautils from Puppy IF they are included?

It seems monumental if I have to do it without Internet access,access to a cd-rom, or a flash drive.

TIA

monkey123

#2 Post by monkey123 »

I see pcmciautils is included in the package list,txt I tried using a apt-get install pcmciautils command but I do not have apt-get.

How do I install it?

Thanks, I am barely walking my puppy.

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

Tempestuous posted dotpets of pcmciautils and sysfsutils (or whatever it is -- the one with libsysfs) on the other forum.
Note that you'll need to comment out the code in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules that starts cardmgr.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

monkey123

#4 Post by monkey123 »

Thanks Dougal,

could you post a link to the other forum where this is mentioned.

Also I have the file opened (rc.modules) and I am not sure what exactly to comment out, there are many mentions of cardmgr, but none starting with that. I would post the file except I have no way of doing anything without the use of pcmcia.

monkey123

#5 Post by monkey123 »

I commented out all lines of rc.modules pertaining to cardmgr and my dmesg looks more promising, however I am not getting my cards to show up

I have been reading over some threads here, correct me if my understanding is wrong..... From what I understand is, is that pcmciautils is not necessary and that it has not been implemented correctly in udev?

monkey123

#6 Post by monkey123 »

BTW my wifi card is a ZyAIR G-102v2 that I would really like to get working.

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

pcmciautils-014.pet is here http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1183467209

This is just the application which manages PCMCIA/Cardbus devices, and it will take a certain amount of "tweaking" of the /etc/init.d/rc.modules to replace the existing cardmgr.
At this stage, it's not essential to replace cardmgr. cardmgr still works fine.

I suspect you may be confusing 2 separate issues. It's quite possible that your old laptop has a 16bit PCMCIA interface, which is completely incompatible with 32bit Cardbus devices. If so, this issue has nothing to do with Puppy Linux at all. See here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 954#103455

monkey123

#8 Post by monkey123 »

Thanks tempestuous,

Now I feel like I am ready to put my dunce cap on!!!!

I did not look at your link yet but you are right. No wonder I have been having such a pain with these cards.

Thanks for posting that and I am sure my old laptop can not handle 32bits.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

No need to put yourself down.
The practical solution is to find true 16bit PCMCIA cards for your laptop.
As I mentioned in the other thread, it's possible to find 16bit wifi cards on eBay, but it's going to be tough finding 16bit USB2.0 cards.
I imagine that 16bit USB1.1 is more likely.

monkey123

#10 Post by monkey123 »

I did a little searching on some cards last night, most of the wifi cards were around $70 bucks, I think I will get a new laptop over spending money on this old paperweight.

I could have saved myself countless hours of trying to get these cards to work, I mainly am a desktop person and this was an old family laptop and I never took into consideration that I was putting 32bit cards into a 16bit cardbus.

Thanks

dogged

#11 Post by dogged »

Hello, although it is almost two years later, today I am trying to make PCMCIA cards
work on a Gateway Solo 2100. Here is what I have found so far:

1) PCMCIA cards are different from PC cards. PCMCIA is the older technology.
PCMCIA cards have a plain connector, while PC cards have a gold stripe and several dots
on the upper surface near the connector.

2) The two kinds of cards are keyed differently. Normally PC cards will not plug in to
machines that can't use them. But either kind of card can be inserted into the Solo 2100,
although only PCMCIA cards have any chance of working.

3) There is no such thing as a PCMCIA USB card, though every owner of a non-USB machine
like mine would like to buy one.

4) My network cards and my "5 in 1 reader" work fine on the Solo 2100 when I use
a bootable CD made from puppy-2.17.1-nolzma-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso

5) If I use any later Puppy, like puppy-3.01-seamonkey.iso or puppy-4.1.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso,
none of the cards are recognized. I suspect that the entire PCMCIA bus is not detected.

6) After installing 4.1.2, I installed the two pet files recommended above: pcmciautils-0.14 and
pcmcia-cs-3.2.9-k2.6.21.7. But the PCMCIA cards still don't work.

Do I have to use the 2.17 version of Puppy to make the PCMCIA cards work? Or is there anything
else that I ought to try?

tubby

#12 Post by tubby »

Try this pet from the link below, i have found i needed it for nearly all of the latest puppy incarnations to detect my pcmcia wifi module.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -014-3.pet

Once installed reboot.

dogged

#13 Post by dogged »

Thanks Tubby. I started with a fresh hard disk install, put in your recommended pet, but it still does not work. None of my three PCMCIA cards are detected. Looks like I will have to use 2.17.1.

dingo53

#14 Post by dingo53 »

Hi Dogged, don't give up just yet. I've had similar problems. For an explanation of PCMCIA and CardBus look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Card

I've just installed the pet as advised, rebooted, and my PCMCIA type 3 zircom 10/100 ethernet + 56K modem dual card is being recognised. This is on Puppy 511 on an Acer Travelmate 270, 2002 vintage.

I'm yet to try it on my Puppy 501 / Toshiba 2100cdt which is 1999 vintage.

Did you leave the card out while rebooting. My Toshiba hangs with a card in at bootup, and locks up when hot plugging.