Multi-Media install question

Booting, installing, newbie
diametric

Multi-Media install question

#1 Post by diametric »

I'd like tp put Puppy Linux on my older laptop. MY question is, doesn puppy linux have or support a CLI code that would run an auto install and config for Java, advanced coded video support.

As an example, on my Ubuntu desktop, I was able to install the OS, then run a command which installed the latest multimedia plugins and such so I could immediatly listen to .mp3, watch videos etc...

Is there a like abilit with a puppy install?

Thanks in advance!

Shep

#2 Post by Shep »

Different pups have different media players and different plugins. Some have more than others, but you can add whatever you need by downloading appropriate packages. I don't think there is any "install the latest of everything" command. I expect any pup will be able to play mp3 and quite a few video formats right out of the box.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

No, there is no such command, but Puppy has no need for it as he supports things like mp3 out of the box, unlike Ubuntu.
JAVA is a different matter though - only a few large puplets would include it since it is huge and annoying and seldom required.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

diametric

#4 Post by diametric »

Yeah - it ran most of my videos out of the box...very suprised! I did run a java DL and so, far everything is cool.

I've been using Ubuntu for little over a year now, but for the size of the package, I am WAY more impressed with what Puppy packs on full install. BTW - I am running Lucid-Puppy 5.1

Thanks for the feedback.