gtkpod 2.0.2 (outdated 2011 version)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Eathray

#31 Post by Eathray »

tempestuous wrote:liblber.
That was quick (ha-ha)

okay, the .pet installed, but the console does not see the files. Previously you had me look at /usr/lib for the other files, so I went there, and I found they were not there. Under /usr there is a new folder /usr/lbr... I don't think it was there before and the folder was bold, so I'm guessing that's where it went?

Do I migrate them into /usr/lib, or perhaps sym-link them?

Thanks

Eathray

tempestuous

#32 Post by tempestuous »

Eathray wrote:Do I migrate them into /usr/lib
Yes.
I'm not near my computer at the moment to check, but it appears I rushed and made an error.

Eathray

#33 Post by Eathray »

tempestuous wrote:
Eathray wrote:Do I migrate them into /usr/lib
Yes.
I'm not near my computer at the moment to check, but it appears I rushed and made an error.
Okay,

That worked perfectly, migrated the files into /usr/lib...

Now it wants libldab_r-2.4.so.2

I hope it doesn't want too many more :?

...but at least when we're done, there will be everything somebody needs to make this gig work on Wary in one place :)

Continuing thanks,

Eathray

tempestuous

#34 Post by tempestuous »

This situation was getting way out of hand, and seriously messing up the informational value of this forum thread.
So I just downloaded Wary 5.1.1 and tested gtkpod-1.0.
Wary needs to be updated with no fewer than 14 additional library files!
I have just posted a dotpet with these libraries in the first post.

Frankly, if gtkpod is important to you, it makes better sense to use Puppy 5.2.x

Eathray

#35 Post by Eathray »

tempestuous wrote:This situation was getting way out of hand, and seriously messing up the informational value of this forum thread.

Frankly, if gtkpod is important to you, it makes better sense to use Puppy 5.2.x
Unfortunately, It's an older machine, and the best performance is from Wary, but let me say how much I appreciate your help in making this deal possible for Wary. It's a huge deal to my boy to be able to buzz along with his ipod without switching to Windows just to load a song or two.

Much thanks, and I'll back up to the original post to check out the libraries. I can be your first Wary tester maybe.

I'll let you know if all is well.

Continuing thanks

Eathray

Eathray

#36 Post by Eathray »

tempestuous wrote:This situation was getting way out of hand, and seriously messing up the informational value of this forum thread.

IT WORKS! YAY!!!

I'm going to try to load a song and see what happens :D

Eathray

Update:

Okay, the GTKPod ipod manager now loads. The ipod is not yet syncing but I need to go back and re-read all the set up directions. I got a good feeling that this is all shortly going to be a good deal :)

Eathray

#37 Post by Eathray »

Tempestuous,

Working through the directions...

My kid's shuffle is not recognized on plugging in, so I went to the code to mount manually:

/usr/sbin/usbmuxd -u -U root -v -v

This line then appears in the process manager as you said, but the next lines which include the UUID do not appear in the log.

Trying to figure what info you might need to know what's going on.

The Shuttle is mounted as sdb1 (/mnt/sdb1); it seems to me I remember someone else's device mounted as sdc.

The usbmuxd files are located in a file called 'Run' in bold: /var/run
It seems to be indicating that I should run something there, but they don't run by clicking... no run action specified, etc. Maybe a terminal command?

I suppose I need the UUID code to extend the file system, so... I need usbmuxd to work first?

What other info can I offer?

Much thanks :)

Eathray

tempestuous

#38 Post by tempestuous »

As I said earlier, the manual setup commands only apply to the Ipod-Touch and iPhone, which have a communication protocol not shared by other iPod models.

The only setup process you should need to perform is select (or detect?) the correct model in gtkpod's menu.
Eathray wrote:This is the A1271, EMC 2262 (which according to an Apple site is 3rd generation)
Third-gen Shuffles are definitely compatible with gtkpod, as confirmed by forum member winderix, and also here -
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Supported+ ... uffleThird
... however, your model number is not listed, so I suspect you have a newer model which gtkpod has not caught up with yet?
Sure enough, your model number is reported as incompatible here -
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ipo ... atch=a1271

Unfortunately you probably need to wait for the next version of gtkpod.
I will be updating this version to gtkpod-2.0 once the developers reach a stable release of the underlying libgpod.

Eathray

#39 Post by Eathray »

tempestuous wrote:As I said earlier, the manual setup commands only apply to the Ipod-Touch and iPhone, which have a communication protocol not shared by other iPod models.

The only setup process you should need to perform is select (or detect?) the correct model in gtkpod's menu.
Eathray wrote:This is the A1271, EMC 2262 (which according to an Apple site is 3rd generation)
Third-gen Shuffles are definitely compatible with gtkpod, as confirmed by forum member winderix, and also here -
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Supported+ ... uffleThird
... however, your model number is not listed, so I suspect you have a newer model which gtkpod has not caught up with yet?
Sure enough, your model number is reported as incompatible here -
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ipo ... atch=a1271

Unfortunately you probably need to wait for the next version of gtkpod.
I will be updating this version to gtkpod-2.0 once the developers reach a stable release of the underlying libgpod.
Darn!

Well, I'll just have to wait I guess. Thanks for all your help. I look forward to gtkpod 2.0.

Eathray

artifus

#40 Post by artifus »

@eathray : i don't know if this will be of any use to you but here is my recent ipod experience.

i was given an old ipod video sometime ago that i had absolutely no luck with what so ever in puppy nor xp and, refusing to use itunes as i'd heard many a horror story about it commandeering, rearranging and sometimes deleting media libraries plus the fact that it drove my firewall nuts when booted making me uncomfortable with how much it wanted to 'phone home' i gave up some months ago.

a recent bout of insomnia lead me to have another go, reading many a wiki, troubleshooting page and forum post, bouncing between 3 different os's resulting in much frustration and hair pulling with occasional detection and access followed by random unexplainable denial of existence.

by an eventual reboot from linux fluke, which i shall explain shortly, xp recognised it as a usb mass storage device allowing me access long enough to install rockbox over the original firmware**. yay! i transferred some files, disconnected and had a bit of a boogie in front of the hi-fi. i later reconnected to add more tunes with no joy. back to square one - flummoxed.

here's what i learned. ipods must be fully charged to the max in order to have enough power to communicate with your pc over long usb cables. i had been connecting via a (cheap!) 3 meter extension cable which it could not cope with on less than a full capacity battery which dwindles quite quickly. hence the occasional detections. (i had never experienced this problem with other media devices, hard drives, usb sticks or sd card readers over this same connection ever before nor since.) plugging the short usb cable that came with the player (actually a cheap one i bought at market) directly into a usb port i have no problems accessing the ipod as a mass storage device. have had no luck with gtkpod as yet but now see no need.

tl:dr version:

use a short usb cable direct to usb port - no ext cables and no hubs.
if you have access to windows (wine?) download and use the rockbox utility - it rocks!

hope that helps - or was, at least, an entertaining read.
good luck.

**edit** - not completely true as it can dual boot to original firmware as required.
ohm's where the art is

shadowtroop

#41 Post by shadowtroop »

Sorry to bump this probably year old thread, but gtkpod doesn't recognise my iPod touch 3rd gen (running 4.3.3) at all. Help?

tempestuous

#42 Post by tempestuous »

shadowtroop, I have just sent you a PM.

tempestuous

#43 Post by tempestuous »

The problem is compounded, in this case, by the fact that shadowtroop has a 3rd gen iPod Touch which has been jailbroken.

Apparently gtkpod doesn't play well with jailbroken iPods.
There's a potential fix explained here -
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/FAQ#mountPoint
I just upgraded to the dev team 1.1.3 jailbreak and to use it with gtkpod you have to modify the mount command and change /var/root/Media to /var/mobile/Media in iPod convenience's scripts. After that it will work with gtkpod again.
This appears to be a modification to the filesystem on the iPod, itself. And to be able to do this, apparently you need SSH, FileZilla, or iFile on Mac.

Or there's another hack described here, which apparently makes your device look like an earlier model.
http://cogizio.org/operating-systems/ubuntu/3089

shadowtroop

#44 Post by shadowtroop »

Whoa there. That's 1.1.3. Which is ancient. Media has been in the mobile folder since at least 3.0, so that apps can access music (Apps can't access anything in root, whereas they have limited access in mobile)

And yeah, that's where my music is.
If you need me to, I can post specific paths of the music and database paths (I don't know what the database file is though)

tempestuous

#45 Post by tempestuous »

UPDATE July 08, 2011:
after some testing with an iPod-Touch by forum member shadowtroop,
I have now posted the latest gtkpod version; 2.0.2
See the first post.

sandy_bradley35

ifuse error loading shared libraries

#46 Post by sandy_bradley35 »

Hello all,

Thank you tempestuous for putting in some great work. I am having some trouble following your instructions. At the step:

ifuse /mnt/ipod

I get the following error:

# ifuse: error while loading shared libraries: libtasn1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Up until this point I seemed to be connected with an appropriate serial number. Any help would be much appreciated.

Computer: Toshiba L735 - 11W

Best,
Sandy

tempestuous

#47 Post by tempestuous »

Deleted, May 2014
Last edited by tempestuous on Fri 30 May 2014, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#48 Post by smokey01 »

I have a new iPod nano (6th generation) which is great but I'm having trouble getting gtkpod to see it.

I tried the following:

Code: Select all

Now open /var/log/messages in Geany, and at the end you should see that your device has been recognised, with text like this -
Code:
usbmuxd[12707]: [4] Initializing USB
Found new device with v/p 05ac:1290 at 3-68
Connected to v1.0 device 1 on location 0x30044 with serial number be2975afb30b6db9025f95261b9e0a7041044661
But the device was not found.

It does mount ok and I can view and play files on the iPod just using rox.

My model, MC688ZP, doesn't appear to be in the list in gtkpod.

It works fine in iTunes but I'm not interested in booting Windows.

gtkpod looks really nice and I would like to use it.

Any ideas?

BTW there is a later version now. 2.1.0

http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Home

I wonder if the new version would recognise my iPod?

Is the package hard to compile? I suspect so.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Last edited by smokey01 on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#49 Post by tempestuous »

smokey01 wrote:there is a later version now. 2.1.0
No, that version will only work with gtk3, which none of the current Puppies have.
2.0.2 is still the most recent gtk2-compatible front-end for gtkpod.
I suspect what you really need is an upgrade to the underlying libgpod. I can do this, but probably not until after Christmas.

In the meantime, it would be helpful if, after plugging in your iPod, you could tell me what you see in /var/log/messages relating to "usbmuxd".

smokey01

#50 Post by smokey01 »

usbmuxd did not load automatically

I loaded it as described.

Then checked Pprocess again, this time it was there.

Now checked /var/log/messages, the results are:

Dec 18 06:43:43 puppypc user.notice usbmuxd[12215]: [3] usbmuxd v1.0.7 starting up
Dec 18 06:43:43 puppypc user.info usbmuxd[12217]: [4] Creating socket
Dec 18 06:43:43 puppypc user.info usbmuxd[12217]: [4] Not dropping privileges to root
Dec 18 06:43:43 puppypc user.info usbmuxd[12217]: [4] Initializing USB
Dec 18 06:43:43 puppypc user.info usbmuxd[12217]: [4] 0 devices detected
Dec 18 06:43:43 puppypc user.notice usbmuxd[12217]: [3] Initialization complete
I guess I can't proceed any further until my device is recognised.

Thanks