How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
DaveS

#76 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:There are not enough hours in my day to look at Racy. But you can try using Xsane from the command line with

Code: Select all

xsane URI
using the URI from Peasyscan.
LOL... I quite agree. Everything works really well with Slacko, so its a done deal :)

Edit: Gave it a shot.. it segfaults too.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, will it work in Racy connected by USB?

It may be that the HPLIP package needs to be compiled specifically for Racy.

DaveS

#78 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:Just out of curiosity, will it work in Racy connected by USB?

Will check tomorrow........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#79 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:Just out of curiosity, will it work in Racy connected by USB?

OK, it seems to work via USB.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#80 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the problem. The hplip_scan driver includes the library libnetsnmp, which provides networking services. For some reason, Racy needs its own version of this library. If you compile libnetsnmp specifically for Racy, then wifi scanning works.

DaveS

#81 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is the problem. The hplip_scan driver includes the library libnetsnmp, which provides networking services. For some reason, Racy needs its own version of this library. If you compile libnetsnmp specifically for Racy, then wifi scanning works.
Beyond me :( Will stick to Slacko.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

davids45

#82 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I bought this smallish cheap colour laser printer as it had a Linux driver provided by the manufacturer - my other, older colour laser, a Tally-Genicom 8108N (re-badged Lexmark) didn't, so when the Tally's toner ran out, I got the fujixerox for about a third the cost of new toner for the 8108N.

The Fujixerox is networked via an ethernet connection to my home network and works very well with her-indoors' Windows 7 and XP laptops as well as mostly with my all-PuppyLinux desktop.

After my complaining earlier in this thread of a few problems with the Fujixerox and some newer Pups, rcrsn51 put together a pet of the C1110 driver from Fujixerox and one for the CUPS-PDF driver which I had liked as the best pdf creator but which I did not see in every Pup.

I have now tested the fujixerox pet in my desktop's Fulls and in some Frugals to see where or when there is a printer problem.
Note that, due to thinking my problems were Cups-related and that previously I had good printing with Cups-1.3.11, I had installed a Cups-1.3.11 pet into most of my Full Pups in an effort to get consistant printing. I was using a self-made pet of the fujixerox driver so was happy for rcrsn51 to provide his version for my new appraisal.

In the attached pdf (made in Dpup-Exprimo-5.x.8 Full, Cups-1.3.11, with CUPS-PDF from LibreOffice, then zipped) is a table of results for the Pups I tried, the Install type, the Cups version the Pup had, and if it printed off a test page after installing the fujixeox pet, and if it did not print to start with, if it did after I replaced the original CUPS with 1.3.11. There's a Comments column at the right. I haven't tried any 64-bit Pups.

In summary, all the Frugals I tried worked as they were, with rcrsn51's fujixerox pet and his CUPS-pdf pet (when it was not already there). All CUPS versions were good Frugally.

I only had problems in some of the Full installs with their original Cups. The Print Testpage error messages from CUPS were either something like "No pstopdffx ......... failed" or "file not opened. /tmp/tmp-fxpdf......;print file sent, waiting for printer to finish." Cancelling the job and trying to again print a test page still failed to print anything.

When I installed Cups-1.3.11 into the problem Pups, these Fulls then printed OK after installing the fujixerox pet :shock: . I also needed to add the CUPS-pdf pet as the changing the CUPS removed any pre-installed printer driver.

The Frugal versions of the problematic Full Pups all printed OK without needing to change the CUPS version - which I found strange. If it matters, I have been manually installing recent Frugals from mounted downloaded isos (no CD involved) and then the Full from the Frugal using the Universal Installer to get files from the Frugal's own subdirectory (I'm really saving on those CDs).

In some cases, the initial CUPS opening screen would show one version number on its tab but then clicking to start the 'Add Printer' would open a tab with a different CUPS version number - the page formatting looked correct for both tabs (1.3.11 is quite different to the 1.4.x series) - another oddity.

The good results for me with my computer-printer set-up are that:

1) rcrsn51's pets worked with CUPS-1.3.11 in every Pup I tried
2) if a new Pup with a particular 1.4.x CUPS doesn't happen to work then I have only to install CUPS-1.3.11 and I should have regained printability (fated being tempted :D ).

Thanks to rcrsn51, and I hope this may help anyone else with a Fujixerox printer.

David S.
Attachments
fujixeroxpetresults.zip
Pups tested (pdf)
(20.56 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for doing this testng.
davids45 wrote:The Print Testpage error messages from CUPS were either something like "No pstopdffx ......... failed" or "file not opened. /tmp/tmp-fxpdf......;print file sent, waiting for printer to finish."
Check that your /tmp folder has a full set of write permissions in the problematic Puppies.

JonT

#84 Post by JonT »

I have an HP LaserJet 2300 attached to a desktop (named CQ) via usb as a windows shared printer and was trying to enable printing from SlackoRC using the information on page 1 of this thread.

I had the line

192.168.1.100 CQ
in /etc/hosts. and the line

hosts:      files dns wins
in /etc/nsswitch.conf (don’t know that wins is necessary)

smbclient -L CQ listed the printer.

Various attempts to add the printer ended up with the CUPS error message

Bad device-uri scheme "smb"!

rcrsn51 wrote:If the Windows machine requires authentication, use a URI like:

Code:
smb://username:password@workgroup/server/printer

If you still can't connect, install the smbn-backend-1.0.pet below. It uses the smbn backend and is listed in CUPS as Samba Printer using smbclient -N. Use the URI:

Code:
smbn://COMPUTERNAME/PRINTERNAME

If this method works for you when others won't, please post a message below. This is useful information for community members.

The smbn version worked.

Thanks for the HOWTO.
Jon

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help. What URI were you trying before using smbn?

JonT

#86 Post by JonT »

rcrsn51, I went back and tried harder. My understanding of the subject is slim, so I do dumb things.

I have an old ubuntu where the printer works with a url of smb://WORKGROUP/CQ/hp-laserjet-2300-series. I guess the smb://WORKGROUP works because it has a full samba installed.

In slacko, anything I tried starting with smb:// failed
smb://WORKGROUP/CQ/hp-laserjet-2300-series, smb://CQ/hp-laserjet-2300-series, plus some variations on the printer name, though I was pretty sure that hp-laserjet-2300-series was right.

CUPS offers up smbc as a default, so I just now tried smbc://CQ/hp-laserjet-2300-series. That works as does smbn://CQ/hp-laserjet-2300-series.

I still would have had a harder time without your guidance.

The gutenprint driver seems to work, though another could possibly support more features.

iann

#87 Post by iann »

my epson t20 won`t print. I`ve followed the steps of add new printer with CUPS printer wizardz. System detected my printer. I left the LOCATION blank. When finished, i try test page print but the printer not printing. it just move the printhead like start up at first time then back to idle position again. I checked the print job, it says "print job completed".
Did i miss some instalation steps? when i did the wizard, i was not connected to internet.
Help me plz

iann

lwill

#88 Post by lwill »

I have a HP LaserJet 1000 and have tried several times to get it working with no luck, and I have a tip for others now that I finally had success.
It is used on a laptop that dual boots XP, I had to power it down and back up (unplug) to reset it (no power switch) then it worked.

Is this due to the firmware or what ever the foo2xxx loads not compatible with what is done in XP?

bones01

#89 Post by bones01 »

After a couple of hours reading through the forum, I clearly need to seek some help.

I have an (old) Canon Scanner - CanoScan D646U ex - and can't get it to do anything. It is a USB flatbed scanner.

I'm using Lucid 5.2.8 frugal on a Dell Latitude D630. I tried Xsane, but that didn't find the scanner. So following some instructions, I used "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L" and ended up with this:

sh-4.1# sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220b [CanoScan]) at libusb:005:002
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.
sh-4.1# scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

So, I went to PPM and d/l "sane-utils_1.0.20" and all its dependencies. Still no luck.

Kept searching the forums reading through these pages where I d/led "scangearmp-common and scangearmp-locale" .pets. Then here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 773#559773 where the .pet still didn't seem to ma ... 641#459641 but that couldn't detect anything either.

I'm really out of my depth, (what's the backend?) and wonder if it's worth the effort?

If anyone has any suggestions, fantastic! If it's good for nothing, then so be it!

Thanks for any help.

Bones[/url]
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

rcrsn51

#90 Post by rcrsn51 »

bones01 wrote:I have an (old) Canon Scanner - CanoScan D646U ex - and can't get it to do anything.
Sorry. There does not appear to be a Linux driver for this model anywhere.

rcrsn51

#91 Post by rcrsn51 »

iann wrote:my epson t20 won`t print.
What Puppy version are you using? I am assuming that you used the built-in Gutenprint driver for your Epson Stylus T20. Usually, these Gutenprint drivers are reliable. But I found info on an Ubuntu site that new Gutenprint versions are broken with this model and you need one earlier than 5.2.5. If you are still interested, I can post a PET for Gutenprint 5.2.3.

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

lwill wrote:I have a HP LaserJet 1000 and have tried several times to get it working with no luck, and I have a tip for others now that I finally had success.
It is used on a laptop that dual boots XP, I had to power it down and back up (unplug) to reset it (no power switch) then it worked.

Is this due to the firmware or what ever the foo2xxx loads not compatible with what is done in XP?
The foo2xxx driver loads the firmware for your Laserjet 1000 through the udev procedure. Look at the file /etc/udev/rules.d/56hplj10xx.rules.

Whenever udev detects the printer being powered up or its USB cable being plugged in, it triggers the firmware download.

I would have thought that as long as the printer was powered up, the firmware installed by XP would still be loaded and the foo2xxx driver would work. If not, Puppy's udev would detect the printer at boot-up and automatically load foo2xxx's firmware.

If neither of those are happening, you can manually load the firmware with this command

cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1000.dl > /dev/usb/lp0

jpeps

#93 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:Look at the file /etc/udev/rules.d/56hplj10xx.rules.
What's that? I don't have it with my laserjet p1102w.

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

jpeps wrote:
What driver package are you using and where did you get it?

jpeps

#95 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jpeps wrote:
What driver package are you using and where did you get it?
foo2zjs_2010-11 I forget where I downloaded it from , but I posted it somewhere.

rscn51: know any safe way to eject the usb printer device? Maybe deleting the /dev/usb/lb0 ? I just wiped out a hard drive after unplugging it, so there must be a way.