How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#346 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look in /usr/lib64/cups/filter. Is there a broken link named foomatic-rip that points to the missing /usr/bin/foomatic-rip?

Install the attached PET. [Edit] Deleted.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 09 May 2016, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

csshin

Cannot print to HP color laser CP1025nw from Fatdog64 702

#347 Post by csshin »

Dear rcrsn51,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The situation still persists.

I checked the link in /usr/lib64/cups. It is intact and points correctly to /usr/bin. In fact I checked every folder in /usr/lib64/cups and there is no broken links. I installed your pet anyway and rebooted.

I deleted all the old installations. Then try direct connect with the USB first. The printer is found and installed using the HP laserjet Pro CP1025nw Foomatic/foo2zjs.z3 diriver. Nothing comes through on printing test page nor from a test printing from geany.

Next I check the wifi connection. I was able to log onto the printer status page with its static ip. I then install it in CUPS. Again, CUPS located it without problem. Again, nothing comes through on printing test page after finishing installation.

I tried reboot and test print again. No good.

By the way, an USB install of an HP laserjet 1200 (not with the foo2xxx driver) is successful.

rcrsn51

#348 Post by rcrsn51 »

The foo2xxx driver uses Ghostscript. Fatdog700 doesn't have it. You need to install it from the Fatdog repo.

csshin

#349 Post by csshin »

That is it. I installed Ghostscript and printing is perfect now.

Thank you so much rcrsn51.

I must have overlooked this bit of instruction in fatdog64's directions on installing printer.

starhawk

#350 Post by starhawk »

Hey, rcrsn51 -- I've been tasked with testing an HP Laserjet of my father's. (It's probably on its way out the door.)

Model is CP1525nw. It's a color model. I can't seem to find a compatible driver, though, in either HPLIP or with the 'foo' package -- maybe you know something I don't...?

rcrsn51

#351 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. This driver needs Python. Some Puppies, like Tahrpup, already have basic Python. Otherwise, get it here. Click the small green DOWNLOAD box.

2. Install the http://www.mediafire.com/download/pmwdm ... 3.16.5.pet.

3. Install the http://www.mediafire.com/download/2uw6a ... 3.16.5.pet.

4. Extract and copy the attached PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model.

5. Run the CUPS wizard. Your printer will be listed as an HP Laserjet CP1520 Series Postscript.
Attachments
hp-laserjet_cp1520_series-ps.ppd.gz
(20.78 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

starhawk

#352 Post by starhawk »

Worked perfectly, thanks!

For the record (and sorry for not mentioning this before) -- X-Tahr 1b3, based on TahrPup 6.0.2. I had the needed Python already -- which is cool.

rcrsn51

#353 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. This printer is Postscript-capable, which is why it didn't appear in the hplip_print or foo2xxx driver packages.

Ordinarily, Postscript printers should be easy - they just need a PPD file and no extra driver software. But HP uses a special CUPS filter for its Postscript printers which depends on a bunch of Python stuff.

starhawk

#354 Post by starhawk »

Go figure :roll:

I do not like HP. HP ink is deliberately overly expensive. Epson changes the firmware in their chipped cartridges every so often (!) to try and stop generics from existing (it doesn't work). Older Canons have properly-priced ink (at least partially because they don't stuff the printhead into the cartridge) and are phenomenally reliable -- but support for Linux is at best questionable due to corporate politics. I guess you can't have everything...

Source

MagicZaurus

HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP M475dn

#355 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi rcrsn51,

I have access to an HP LaserJet Pro 400 color MFP M475dn at work over the network and according to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... 475dn.html it needs a plugin.

I tried today to connect to it from Tahrpup 6.0.5, but was not successful. I had downloaded hplip from the PPM, which I think is from a Ubuntu source. I can try using your PET.

Let me know what you want to test and I will try to help.

rcrsn51

#356 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for replying. I have successfully used the plugin (both print and scan) with a mono Laserjet MFP. But your model is not listed in the database from openprinting.org that supplies the Linux plugin mechanism. I don't know if this will work for you.

Your M475dn is a Postscript printer, so use the install procedure here. You will need the PPD file attached below.

Run the CUPS install wizard. Your printer will be identified as an HP LJ 300-400 MFP M375-M475 Postscript, at the end of the Laserjet section.

I suspect that the plugin is just required for the scanner component, or maybe the fax. If you want to try networked scanning, read about PeasyScan and install the plugin PET attached below.

-----------------------
Attachments
hp-lj_300_400_color_mfp_m375_m475-ps.ppd.gz
(21.97 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

MagicZaurus

#357 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi rcrsn51,

thanks for the advise. I can only test after the weekend and will then let you know if successful or not. Already downloaded the required pets.

Have a nice weekend.

MagicZaurus

HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP M475dn

#358 Post by MagicZaurus »

I installed the pets according to the instruction and copied the ppd. Printing over the network worked as soon as I disabled the firewall.

Scanning also works fine over the network, once setup the config file for PeasyScan.

Thanks a lot for the advise and the pets provided.

rcrsn51

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP M475dn

#359 Post by rcrsn51 »

MagicZaurus wrote:Scanning also works fine over the network, once setup the config file for PeasyScan.
Thanks for confirming this. Is this with or without the plugin PET?

MagicZaurus

Scan Plugin

#360 Post by MagicZaurus »

MagicZaurus wrote:
Scanning also works fine over the network, once setup the config file for PeasyScan.

Thanks for confirming this. Is this with or without the plugin PET?
I have the plugin pet installed. I didn't try without it. But if it is useful for you, I can uninstall the pet tomorrow and try again.

rcrsn51

Re: Scan Plugin

#361 Post by rcrsn51 »

MagicZaurus wrote:I have the plugin pet installed. I didn't try without it. But if it is useful for you, I can uninstall the pet tomorrow and try again.
Don't do that. The plugin PET contains some files that are also in the hplip_scan PET. So deleting the former may break the latter.

I built it that way to support a group of HP printer-only units that need those files but don't need hplip_scan.

I need to re-think this situation. In a mainstream Linux like Ubuntu, this is academic because you would automatically install 100% of HPLIP and all its dependencies whether you need them or not.

But you can try this:

Go into the folder /usr/share/hplip and temporarily rename the folders "prnt" and "scan". See what still works.

Thanks for your help with this.

MagicZaurus

Test Result

#362 Post by MagicZaurus »

Here the result of my test. It seems both the prnt & scan folders are required.

1) Rename prnt folder to no_prnt & scan to no_scan. Printing and scanning doesn't work anymore. Peasyscan reports "Failed to open device. ... Failure during Device I/O". For printing the job gets stuck and can be seen in the CUPS web interface. I canceled the print job there.

2) Rename no_prnt to prnt. Printing works now, but scanning doesn't work with the same error message.

3) Rename no_scan to scan. Printing and scanning works normal.

In case you want to test anything else, then just let me know.

Your hplip pets are really nice and small. Thanks a lot for the time you spent to create them. Getting this printer working was much easier than I expected and I never expected that scanning will work.

rcrsn51

#363 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. I don't understand why Starhawk's colour Postscript Laserjet above does NOT need the plugin while yours does. Maybe because yours is an enterprise model with more features.

BTW, I just discovered that the new hpaio scanner backend can now auto-detect networked scanners! This means that you should not need a PeasyScan config file to find it, and that Xsane should work.

Run: scanimage -L

Is your model detected? Then run PeasyScan, but click Cancel on the initial config file window. This will make PeasyScan search for printers instead of using a config file.

starhawk

#364 Post by starhawk »

It's actually starhawk's father's printer ;) I was just asked to test it.

As for why one needs a plugin and one does not... HP is a bunch of bastards, you know :P especially when they go to price ink.

bark_bark_bark

#365 Post by bark_bark_bark »

starhawk wrote:It's actually starhawk's father's printer ;) I was just asked to test it.

As for why one needs a plugin and one does not... HP is a bunch of bastards, you know :P especially when they go to price ink.
For the price of ink, you could get a new printer that has ink in it.