How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
keniv

#331 Post by keniv »

I don't really need to store pictures as pdfs but I sometimes do a screen capture which is usually as a png or jpg. It can the be useful to convert that to a pdf. I've installed version 3.3 of peasypdf and I'll have play with it. I've looked in the ppm for python. The version available is there as python-2.6-lucid.pet. I take it this is python 2.6. Would this do?

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#332 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PeasyPDF page has a link to the img2pdf page which has a Python 2.7 installer.

keniv

#333 Post by keniv »

OK. Thanks for that. I'll download and install it.

Regards,

Ken.

Marv

#334 Post by Marv »

Just a thank you note for all the work involved in this thread rcrsn51. I have long used the hplip portions for my HP printers but just now got around to setting up scanning from my networked HP4500 and from my USB Epson CX5400. Peasyscan with a config file was used for the HP and both Peasyscan and iscan/epkowa drivers work on the Epson. All the guidance was in the first post above. The testbeds are running LxPupSc based on the current woof-CE slacko but I plan to use it under Tahr based pups also.

So, THANKS!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

tuxtoo

HPLIP for HP Deskjet 1110

#335 Post by tuxtoo »

My old printer finally died (HP-D1560, single function printer) after many years of service. I have bought a replacement, an HP Deskjet 1110.

The problem is that I am unable to get the new printer working in Puppy412 or Racy with hplip_print-3.14.10.pet from the first post of this thread. According to hplipopensource.com the I need a minimum HPLIP version 3.15.7 which is not available as a dotpet.

I attempted to install the latest version of HPLIP manually as instructed on the HP website but I just drowned in a sea of dependencies, hence I gave up.

I can get my new printer working with Lubuntu-15.04 but as a long term Puppy User I would much rather stay with Puppy so any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

rcrsn51

#336 Post by rcrsn51 »

@tuxtoo: The HPLIP v3.15.9 print/scan PETs are posted on the main page.

They are NOT backwards compatible to Puppy4, but they work in Racy55.

[Edit] Three days later and no reply.

tuxtoo

#337 Post by tuxtoo »

rcrsn51: This is what happens when I rush through reading forum threads; I miss (important) things.

As promised, I tried your suggestion and my HP Deskjet 1110 printer now works perfectly on Racy-5.3 Barebones (with CUPS etc installed). I have used Puppy-4.1.2 for a long time now and will now have to update to Racy to have a working printer, but hey, time moves on.

Many thanks for all the hard work you do on this thread. Without your input I am sure there would be a lot of printers gathering dust at the back of cupboards everywhere.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

BJF

HP F2540 returns 'filter failed' from printing requests.

#338 Post by BJF »

rcrsn51, please:
I have a thumbdrive install of DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup (V2) which does everything it says on the can. Having ticked CUPS to start at boot I installed your .pets for printing and scanning from page 1 of your treatise and set up the HP F2540 PSC from CUPS, the printer connected to the Dell box USB port the same as it is with the LXPrecise-Retro on-board install, and with the F2540 driver, the same as in LXPrecise.
Any attempt to print from Werewolf sees the job sent to the printer followed by the filter failed error, be it text or Test Page.
I had in mind to use Werewolf as a server for photos and videos and have it as the print server for our LAN which LXPrecise handles now.
Should Werewolf have 64Bit drivers or some other different set-up to engage the F2540, and how do I go about that please.

Thanks.

rcrsn51

Re: HP F2540 returns 'filter failed' from printing requests.

#339 Post by rcrsn51 »

BJF wrote:Should Werewolf have 64Bit drivers
Yes. All the drivers discussed here are 32-bit. You could look in Fatdog for some 64-bit print/scan drivers, but they are now using a different package format than PET.

ETP

Printing from 64-bit Pups

#340 Post by ETP »

Hi BJF & rcrsn51,

This question is about to become a FAQ given that we now have official 64-bit Pups.

The 32-bit drivers and steps in this thread may be followed providing the 32-bit compatibility libraries for the 64 bit version of the Pup in question are already installed or are available to be installed.
Some makes & models of printers may require additional actions. The manufacturer's support sites should detail those.

In the case of DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 V2 a new initial first step is to use QPM to install
lib32gcc1-5.2.1 plus its dependencies. (See attached screenshot)

I tested this with my Brother HL-2035 laser, first installing the compatability library then following
exactly the procedure in this thread for Brother Printers. Having pointed Cups at the PPD I was able
to produce a "ubuntu" printer test page followed by prints from Leafpad & Abiword.

Whilst I can only vouch for success with my Brother-HL2035 hopefully the same will apply with HP printers.

Finally I would stress the importance of turning on the printer first before turning on the PC that you intend
to boot from. In addition before turning on the PC make sure that you have connected the printer to it! :oops:
Attachments
image-3.png
(126.12 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
Last edited by ETP on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

ETP

DLNA Wolf64 V2 versus the HP F2540 printer

#341 Post by ETP »

Update on HP printers:

@BJF,

Having just checked QPM I note that a pre-compiled 64-bit version of hplip_3.15.7 is available.
If you have already installed lib32gcc1-5.2.1 plus its dependencies it matters not as it may come
in handy for something else.

I would start by:

1. Deleting any printers appearing in Cups.

2. Uninstalling any previous hplip pet that you may have installed.

3. Installing hplip_3.15.7 PLUS ALL IT'S DEPENDENCIES using QPM.

4. Power off PC, then turn on (connected) printer.

5. Power up and search for/add printer in Cups.

Good luck, this seems like your best chance.
Attachments
image-1.png
(184.57 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

BJF

#342 Post by BJF »

Etp, et al,

Success! My dependencies looked a little different to yours and there were 15 of them, which put them off the bottom of the visible screen so that my 'Install' button wasn't accessible.Faffing with the alternative resolutions available on the monitor and hiding the Taskbar didn't resolve that, so I picked off and installed the Python dependencies one by one until the top edge of the 'Install' button became visible and went for it.
Having then installed my printer on the Werewolf thumb I was able to print a test page immediately and will now set about discovery on the laptops about the place that use the server and testing that it all works.

Thanks.

Mike Walsh

#343 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, BJF.

There's an easier way to move an 'awkward' window, y'know. Just place your cursor anywhere in the window in question, press 'Alt' and hold, then left-click and hold. A 'four-way' arrow should now appear, and you can move the window around until whatever you want to access becomes visible.

This, as far as I can make out, is a standard feature of Linux.

Hope that helps in future.

Mike. :wink:

rcrsn51

#344 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have built a 64bit PET for HPLIP. See the Update note at the end of the main post.

csshin

Cannot print to HP color laser CP1025nw from Fatdog64 702

#345 Post by csshin »

I tried to set up an HP color laser CP1025nw. I am using Fatdog64 702 with kernel 4.4.3.

I first installed the foo2xxx package (from the fatdog64 600 repo, dated April, 2014).
the 64bit CUPS was enabled by default.

In either direct connect with USB or over a wifi network, CUPS found the printer without problem. I then chose the printer name with the foo2xxx driver. Printer setup without problem. However, nothing comes out when I try to print a test page, although CUPS said that the job has been completed, in both USB direct connect and wifi network cases.

Installing to Fatdog64 701(no kernel update) on another laptop faced exactly the same situation.

I tried to install the same printer as network printer on a Precise 5.7.1 desktop and a Lupu 5.2.8 laptop. Both are successful.

Could the foo2xxx package not compatible with fatdog64 701/702?

Any help or suggestion is most appreciate.

rcrsn51

#346 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look in /usr/lib64/cups/filter. Is there a broken link named foomatic-rip that points to the missing /usr/bin/foomatic-rip?

Install the attached PET. [Edit] Deleted.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 09 May 2016, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

csshin

Cannot print to HP color laser CP1025nw from Fatdog64 702

#347 Post by csshin »

Dear rcrsn51,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The situation still persists.

I checked the link in /usr/lib64/cups. It is intact and points correctly to /usr/bin. In fact I checked every folder in /usr/lib64/cups and there is no broken links. I installed your pet anyway and rebooted.

I deleted all the old installations. Then try direct connect with the USB first. The printer is found and installed using the HP laserjet Pro CP1025nw Foomatic/foo2zjs.z3 diriver. Nothing comes through on printing test page nor from a test printing from geany.

Next I check the wifi connection. I was able to log onto the printer status page with its static ip. I then install it in CUPS. Again, CUPS located it without problem. Again, nothing comes through on printing test page after finishing installation.

I tried reboot and test print again. No good.

By the way, an USB install of an HP laserjet 1200 (not with the foo2xxx driver) is successful.

rcrsn51

#348 Post by rcrsn51 »

The foo2xxx driver uses Ghostscript. Fatdog700 doesn't have it. You need to install it from the Fatdog repo.

csshin

#349 Post by csshin »

That is it. I installed Ghostscript and printing is perfect now.

Thank you so much rcrsn51.

I must have overlooked this bit of instruction in fatdog64's directions on installing printer.

starhawk

#350 Post by starhawk »

Hey, rcrsn51 -- I've been tasked with testing an HP Laserjet of my father's. (It's probably on its way out the door.)

Model is CP1525nw. It's a color model. I can't seem to find a compatible driver, though, in either HPLIP or with the 'foo' package -- maybe you know something I don't...?