How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#316 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. If you really want to run a firewall, you may find that the printer still works after you turn it back on.

Scanning to networked HP units is definitely possible. The procedure is discussed in the How To document.

keniv

#317 Post by keniv »

Hello

I am trying to install an HP 2540 all in one printer. Using this thread and the drivers for HP printers and scanners provided on the first page I can print using a usb connection. I have not tried scanning yet. The printer has both a wifi and an airprint connection. I would like to be able to connect to the printer via wifi. I have found a post here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1c74c89171 where forum member BJF seems to have got fairly close and I have asked if he has managed to do it. One of the posts says
Have you tried to set up wireless the conventional way - have the printer join your network instead of you joining its?
I don't know how to do this. I would appreciate any instructions on how to do this or information on how to get the printer to connect via wifi. I am using Lucid 5287 which is the most up to date version. Its version of Cups is 1.4.3.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#318 Post by rcrsn51 »

For info on HP Wireless Direct, read here.

To connect the printer to your own WiFi network (if possible), you will need to read the printer's documentation and use its control panel.

keniv

#319 Post by keniv »

Hello rcrsn51

Thanks for your reply to both threads and your link. I have read the printers documentation on this and printed off "Use the Printer Wirelessly without a Router" This gives instructions similar to yours 1-9. I have followed these and I can now connect to the printer wirelessly. I have not followed the rest of the instructions as I am a bit confused by number 14.
14. Install the HPLIP printer driver as usual and run CUPS.
I have already installed the HPLIP driver and used CUPS to install the printer as a usb printer. Do I have to uninstall the driver and delete the usb connected version of the printer from CUPS before completing your instructions? I would like to have the option of using the printer via usb as well if that is possible.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#320 Post by rcrsn51 »

keniv wrote:I have already installed the HPLIP driver and used CUPS to install the printer as a usb printer. Do I have to uninstall the driver
No.
and delete the usb connected version of the printer from CUPS before completing your instructions?
No.

keniv

#321 Post by keniv »

Thanks for that information. However, I now have another problem.
10. From your computer's Network menu, run PeasyPort.
I can't find PeasyPort, I even tried to run it in a terminal, including trying a number of spellings, but its not found. Tried to find it in the PPM but again its not found. Tried goggling for it but again no luck. I tried to use "supperscan" but could not get it to work and I am not knowledgeable enough to know whether I should be able to use it to do what PeasyPort can do.. Can you point me in the direction of a PeasyPort .pet.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#322 Post by rcrsn51 »

keniv

#323 Post by keniv »

Thanks for the link. I'll let you know how I get on when I try it tonight.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#324 Post by keniv »

Hello rcrsn51,
I have good news. I can now print wirelessly from my Puppy laptop to my printer. Thanks for the drivers, information, help and your patience. I am now going to follow your instructions and try scanning wirelessly. I hope you've got lots of that patience.

Thanks again,

Ken.

keniv

#325 Post by keniv »

Now have WiFi scanning working as well. Have a question about scanning to pdf. I scanned in colour at 100dpi a number of times with no problems. I then scanned the same doc to pdf at 200dpi. I tried this three times. The first time I got a sort of crash where I could not get the return button to do anything and had difficulty in shutting peasyscan down. The next two times I got "fatal error". I tried to save but got "no file to save". I have had no trouble saving to png or jpg scanning at 200dpi. Is 200dpi to high a resolution when scanning to pdf?

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#326 Post by rcrsn51 »

I'm guessing that you installed the PDF plugin package. It is choking on the amount of data produced by a full-page 200 DPI colour scan. I got it to work by scanning at 200 DPI gray-scale.

You only need the plugin if you are using alternate paper sizes like A4.

You have two choices - uninstall the plugin or save the scan as a JPEG/PNG and convert to PDF using PeasyPDF.

keniv

#327 Post by keniv »

I have not installed the pdf plugin though I am likely to use A4. From what you say it sounds as if I am asking too much by scanning to pdf in colour at 200dpi. A scan at 100dpi looked OK. I'll experiment a bit more with Peasyscan and I'll try Peasypdf.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#328 Post by rcrsn51 »

Since you are using Lupu, is this an older computer with low RAM? If so, Peasyscan does not have enough temporary space to process all the data from your 200 DPI colour scan and convert it to PDF.

keniv

#329 Post by keniv »

Yes, I'm using an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 800MHz and 320MB ram with a 40GB HD. I presume the that if I tried to scan a larger photo to a jpg at say 200dpi I'd have the same problem. I have a less old PC that has a better spec. It has Ubuntu and the same version of Lucid as I use on the laptop. I might try to connect the printer to it using Lucid and see what happens. However, I am still pretty happy that it is working on this old laptop which is what I use most.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#330 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you really, really need to store photos in PDF files, look at PeasyPDF.It can use an optional tool called img2pdf that is very efficient at doing this and doesn't have the memory demands.

However, you will need to install a basic version of Python. There are instructions.

keniv

#331 Post by keniv »

I don't really need to store pictures as pdfs but I sometimes do a screen capture which is usually as a png or jpg. It can the be useful to convert that to a pdf. I've installed version 3.3 of peasypdf and I'll have play with it. I've looked in the ppm for python. The version available is there as python-2.6-lucid.pet. I take it this is python 2.6. Would this do?

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#332 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PeasyPDF page has a link to the img2pdf page which has a Python 2.7 installer.

keniv

#333 Post by keniv »

OK. Thanks for that. I'll download and install it.

Regards,

Ken.

Marv

#334 Post by Marv »

Just a thank you note for all the work involved in this thread rcrsn51. I have long used the hplip portions for my HP printers but just now got around to setting up scanning from my networked HP4500 and from my USB Epson CX5400. Peasyscan with a config file was used for the HP and both Peasyscan and iscan/epkowa drivers work on the Epson. All the guidance was in the first post above. The testbeds are running LxPupSc based on the current woof-CE slacko but I plan to use it under Tahr based pups also.

So, THANKS!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

tuxtoo

HPLIP for HP Deskjet 1110

#335 Post by tuxtoo »

My old printer finally died (HP-D1560, single function printer) after many years of service. I have bought a replacement, an HP Deskjet 1110.

The problem is that I am unable to get the new printer working in Puppy412 or Racy with hplip_print-3.14.10.pet from the first post of this thread. According to hplipopensource.com the I need a minimum HPLIP version 3.15.7 which is not available as a dotpet.

I attempted to install the latest version of HPLIP manually as instructed on the HP website but I just drowned in a sea of dependencies, hence I gave up.

I can get my new printer working with Lubuntu-15.04 but as a long term Puppy User I would much rather stay with Puppy so any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]