How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#211 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look again. In CUPS 1.4, an auto-detected printer will appear at the TOP of the Models list.

It should be listed as "f2400 series 3.13.7".

LeithR

#212 Post by LeithR »

Thanks yet again - I went straight to the HP Deskjet section in the drop down rather than looking at the top of the list.

earl

Konica Minolta bizbus 250

#213 Post by earl »

I am trying to print to a Konica Minolta bizbus 250 but Minolta does not seem to support Linux(Unix) like Brother does. I have the IP address but that seems to be all. The Windows disc's are available.

Anyone tryed to interface to this family?

Earl

rcrsn51

#214 Post by rcrsn51 »

I found some Linux information here. This unit appears to be both Postscript and PCL6 compatible. So your easiest choice in the CUPS setup would be to look under Generic and choose either Postscript or PCL6.

The vendor's site also has a Linux driver, which I have packaged as a PET below. It appears to work in simulated tests. But the crucial issue with these enterprise printers is authentication. In the CUPS Options section, there are settings for authentication, but I have no idea how they work.

Does CUPS auto-detect this networked printer?
Attachments
konica_bizhub_postscript-1.31.pet
(19.98 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

earl

Konica Minolta bizbus 250

#215 Post by earl »

@rcrsn51,

Thanks for the '.pet', I'll give it a try on Thursday. This printer is located in the town office - and I'm trying to not boot into Windows when I'm there...

I had found a ppd package on the Internet, but it did not work, I'll retry and log the error message here.

CUPS did find the printer and peasyport LAN scanner did find the IP .

Earl

rcrsn51

Re: Konica Minolta bizbus 250

#216 Post by rcrsn51 »

earl wrote:peasyport LAN scanner did find the IP
Under what port number?

earl

#217 Post by earl »

Under what port number?
80 and 9100 - could not make it to office today and I have all day logging training tomorrow so I'll have to try on Sunday or Monday...

I will post while there!

earl

#218 Post by earl »

Just got back from a select board meeting and I tried the ".pet" package for the Konica Minolta BizBus 250 printer. And it works. We had to do a site visit in 6 degree weather other wise I would have stuck around and tried to figured out why I again could not do this on my own.

I some times have to wonder why I try to do things myself when a question here just get the answer most quickly...

I'll now have to help windows based co-selectmen with their computers.

Thanks again rcrsn51

Earl

sindi

printer setup without wizard

#219 Post by sindi »

The printer wizard seems not to work
in 4.1.2-based pulp wizard. I get
a purple screen saying to wait 3-30
sec for default browser to display a
CUPS page that never appears.
Nor does it help to browse to
localhost:631. What next?
This distro boots into about 10MB RAM and
does not run CUPS by default - should
I start it manually somehow?
I am only familiar with ghostscript
used directly to print. Or netpbm.
I could try pdftopbm and pbmtolj.

sindi

pulp does not have cups, print without it

#220 Post by sindi »

I posted to the pulp forum. No cups, no cupsd, no gs. The printer wizard leads nowhere.
(It saves memory not to run cupsd).

I printed with pdftoppm and pbmtolj or ppmtolj (the latter two not found in pulp linux, part of netpbm), to my pcl4 laserjet (should also work with older deskjets). pbmtolj and ppmtolj are available from http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl
along with ghostscript (gs) and netpbm (full set of programs) for older glibc (2.3.6 or older).

There are ways to print directly with ghostscript if it is compiled for your printer.

humanise

Re: How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

#221 Post by humanise »

As I understand it, the Puppy foo2xxx .pet installs into Puppy Linux systems all the following foo2xxx printer drivers:

foo2zjs
foo2hp
foo2oak
foo2xqx
foo2lava
foo2slx
foo2hiperc
foo2qpdl

At the time of writing the latest version of this .pet is called foo2xxx_rcrsn-2013.02.05 and can be downloaded from

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/ce2c9afa

Some Later versions of Puppy (including puppy 5.7.1) may need a patch, currently called foo2xxx_udev_patch_upup387-1.0.pet to use this.

See

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015

for the latest version and information. Also see

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 103#728103

for instructions

Using these, users should be able to install into their CUPs any of the following printers:

ZjStream Protocol Printers:

With the foo2zjs driver, you can print to some Minolta/QMS, HP and possibly other ZjStream printers:

Supported Printer B/W Color
Minolta/QMS magicolor 2300 DL Yes Yes
Minolta/QMS magicolor 2200 DL Yes Yes
Konica Minolta magicolor 2430 DL Yes Yes
Minolta Color PageWorks/Pro L Yes Yes
HP LaserJet P2035 Yes No
HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn Yes No
HP LaserJet Pro P1566 Yes No
HP LaserJet Pro P1102 Yes No
HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Yes No
HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Yes Yes
HP LaserJet 1022 Yes No
HP LaserJet 1022n Yes No
HP LaserJet 1022nw Yes No
HP LaserJet 1020 Yes No
HP LaserJet 1018 Yes No
HP LaserJet 1005 Yes No
HP LaserJet 1000 Yes No
HP LaserJet M1319 MFP Yes No

See http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

Other HP ZJS protocol printers:

With the foo2hp driver, you can print to some HP and possibly other ZJS protocol printers:

Printer B/W B/W Color Color
........... 1-bit 2-bit 1-bit 2-bit
HP Color LaserJet CP1215 Yes Yes Yes Yes
HP Color LaserJet 1600 Yes Yes Yes Yes
HP Color LaserJet 2600n Yes Yes Yes Yes

See http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

OAKT Protocol Printers:

With the foo2oak driver, you can print to some HP and possibly other OAKT protocol printers:

Printer B/W B/W Color Color
........... 1-bit 2-bit 1-bit 2-bit
HP Color LaserJet 1500 Yes ? Yes ?
Kyocera KM-1635 Yes No No No
Kyocera KM-2035 Yes No No No

See http://foo2oak.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

"XQX" Stream Printers:

With the foo2xqx driver, you can print to some HP and possibly other "XQX" stream printers:

HP LaserJet P1005 Yes No
HP LaserJet P1006 Yes No
HP LaserJet P1007 Yes No
HP LaserJet P1008 Yes No
HP LaserJet P1505/P1505n Yes No
HP LaserJet P2014/P2014n Yes No
HP LaserJet M1005 MFP Yes No
HP LaserJet M1120 MFP Yes No
HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP Yes No

See http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

LAVAFLOW Printers:

With the foo2lava driver, you can print to some Konica Minolta, Xerox, and possibly other LAVAFLOW printers:

Konica Minolta magicolor 2530 DL Yes Yes
Konica Minolta magicolor 2490 MF Yes Yes
Konica Minolta magicolor 1600W Yes Yes
Konica Minolta magicolor 1680MF Yes Yes
Konica Minolta magicolor 1690MF Yes Yes
Konica Minolta magicolor 2480 MF Yes Yes
Konica Minolta magicolor 4690MF Yes Yes
Oki C110 Yes Yes
Xerox Phaser 6115MFP Yes Yes
Xerox Phaser 6121MFP Yes Yes

See http://foo2lava.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

SLX Printers:

With the foo2slx driver, you can print to some Lexmark and possibly other SLX printers:

Lexmark C500n Yes Yes

See http://foo2slx.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

HIPERC Printers:

With the foo2hiperc driver, you can print to some Oki and possibly other HIPERC printers:

Oki C301dn / C310dn Yes Yes
Oki C810 Yes Yes
Oki C3100n / C3200n Yes Yes
Oki C3300n / C3400n Yes Yes
Oki C3530n MFP Yes Yes
Oki C5100n / C5150n / C5200n Yes Yes
Oki C5500n / C5600n / C5650n / C5800n Yes Yes
Olivetti d-Color P160W Yes Yes

See http://foo2hiperc.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

QPDL Protocol Printers:

With the foo2qpdl driver, you can print to some Samsung and Xerox printers:

Samsung CLP-300 Yes Yes
Samsung CLP-310 / 310W Yes Yes
Samsung CLP-315 / 315W Yes Yes
Samsung CLP-325 / 325W Yes Yes
Samsung CLP-360 / 365W Yes Yes
Samsung CLP-600 Yes Yes
Samsung CLP-610ND Yes Yes
Samsung CLP-620ND Yes Yes
Samsung CLX-2160 Yes Yes
Samsung CLX-3160 Yes Yes
Samsung CLX-3175 Yes Yes
Samsung CLX-3185 Yes Yes
Xerox Phaser 6110 Yes Yes
Xerox Phaser 6110MFP Yes Yes

See http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

HBPL 2 protocol printers

Dell 1355 Yes Yes
Dell C1765 MFP Yes Yes
Epson AcuLaser M1400 Yes No
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CM205 Yes Yes
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint P205 Yes No
Xerox WorkCentre 6015 Yes Yes

Note: Not supported are
Dell 1250c Uses HBPL version 1
Dell C1660w Uses HBPL version 1
Epson AcuLaser C1700 Uses HBPL version 1
Fuji-Xerox cp105b Uses HBPL version 1

See http://foo2hbpl.rkkda.com/ for more information on this driver and its support for these printers.

rcrsn51 wrote:They are best installed using the foo2xxx driver. Various Samsung, Minolta and OKI colour laser printers are also supported by this package. The applicable models are listed here.

----------------------------------------
The work being done in this forum and with the various .pet packages is great so I don't want to be too picky / complaining but if I don't explain the following those doing the great work may not know how to improve it.

I just purchased a new Fuji Xerox laser printer. Before purchasing I knew that there was at least a Linux driver for this model but I hadn't checked up on the Puppy support. Now needing to run it from Puppy, I did what I expect most people searching for a Puppy driver would do, That is a search of the murga-linux.com/puppy forum using either or both its own own search and using google with site:murga-linux.com/puppy etc looking for the printer. Since I knew the name of the linux driver for my printer I also did a search for any reference to that. I came out empty so I had to compile from the source code, Not easy due to the reduced busybox on Puppy that lacks much of what is assumed to be in a typical Linux. I finally got it working.

Since this was time consuming and would be very difficult for a typical new Windows to Puppy convert, I decided to document it. Extra research I did while doing the documentation showed that this was all a waste of time as there was already a .pet package that would have given me the driver. It was just that printer names and original linux driver names were not on this website (only a link to another website) in a way that didn't allow my searches to find them. I'm hoping that the above will allow other people to get to this driver without the problems that I went through.

The other .pet packages that support other printer drivers also need a similar post on this forum. I would do it but I don't understand them as much as I now understand this one. It doesn't need all the information of the above but it should list the full name of each printer that is supported. Hopefully there is a list somewhere that can be cut and pasted into this forum.

motorcity

#222 Post by motorcity »

It's been suggested I ask here for printer help.
This printer StarMicronics TSP100 is about 6 years old. I have a CD that came with it that includes drivers for Linux and a .rpm installation file.
It has spent it's life so far tied to a series of cheap laptop computers that ran winXP. The setup for windows was difficult to get through also, but I had time because the printer wasn't being used 7 days a week. Currently, I'm limited to a few hours a day to play with this.
This is part of a our somewhat home-spun POS system. All it prints is a webpage formatted for this printer. It serves no other purpose or prints anything else.
I should also mention the browser (Firefox) gets a few customizations in the about:config that also takes some monkeying to get right.
The puppy version I'm trying to convert to is Lupu 528, only because I believe its stable, and have been using it on other computers.
I managed to unrpm and then run the .rpm file. I've gone over the various setting in the CUPS printer wizard a number of times.
It does print the test page correctly, but it won't print from the browser. There's a number of things I haven't tried "yet", including the /tmp folder, which must have a full set of write permissions as was mentioned in the very first post to this thread, along with the file /dev/null.
I disabled the puppy firewall like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
modprobe fbcon
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
#  /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi
And that worked! Except for getting the page size right, but while I was adjusting that a message in orange said "saving ram to pupsave file" and then it didn't work anymore!
After a little more banging around, I decided to go ahead and do a full install dual booting puppy/winXP and that changed a few things.
Had to adjust the print_scaling in about:config from 1 to 3. Bottom line is today (2/23/14) we're going live with Puppy!

neversaynever

Fail in scanning with HP Printer all-in-one HP CM1312 MFP

#223 Post by neversaynever »

Hi. I’m new with Puppy Linux (slacko 5.6) and I have a HP Color LaserJet CM1312 MFP. But I can't use the scanner.
Following the instructions of the 1st post in this thread, I installed "hplip_print-3.13.x.pet" and "hplip_scan-3.13.x.pet".
Then I installed the Printer by CUPS.
No problem with printing documents and images. But I can’t use the scanner.
If I write “sane-find-scanner

ThoriumBlvd

HP p1102w

#224 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

for the hp p1102w...

I have loaded libnetsnmp15, hpliplite 3.14.4, foo2xxx 2014-4-26, foo2xxx_udev_patch_upup387-1.0,

When I go to localhost to print a test page I get
stopped
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"

CUPS is 1.4.8 in this puppy

There is also this pet.specs
hplip_print-3.14.4|hplip_print|3.14.4||BuildingBlock|1572K||hplip_print-3.14.4.pet||HP printer driver|slackware|14.0||

Puppy is slacko-5.5XL kernal is 3.2.33-4g (i686)
Complete list of pets installed

foo2xxx_rcrsn-2014.04.26|Printer drivers
foo2xxx_udev_patch_upup387-1.0|no description provided
gnutls-3.0.31|GNU TLS library
hpliplite-3.11.10|Hewlett Packard Printer and Scanner Drivers
hplip_print-3.14.4|HP printer driver
libnetsnmp-15|
mtpaint-3.40|Painting program to create pixel art and manipulate digital photos
openssl-1.0.1g|Secure Sockets Layer toolkit
slacko-5.5-zh-ensm-6.1.16|Localization pet zh ensm 6.1.16

I seem to remember some exec code to be typed into terminal, can''t seem to find it.
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

rcrsn51

#225 Post by rcrsn51 »

As stated in the How-To, your Laserjet Pro p1102w needs the foo2xxx package instead of HPLIP. You have installed foo2xxx, but are picking an HPLIP model in CUPS. Go farther down the Models list to find the right one.

ThoriumBlvd

Slacko-5.5XL OK

#226 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

EDITED: Deleted the old printer/driver set up first.

When I select "ADD PRINTER" the following list appears

HP LaserJet Professional P 1102w (HP LaserJet Professional P 1102w) [Use this one]

HP LaserJet Professional P 1102w USB 00000000xxxxxxxxxxxx HPLIP (HP LaserJet Professional P 1102w)

SCSI Printer

pdf writer (PDF)

Following instructions, I did not pick any printer or driver with "HPLIP" in the name. I scrolled far down the driver list and found the foo2 version. I selected that one and it does print the test page. (Default is Medium 3 darkness)

EDIT#2: What messed me up here was the first printer driver on the list exactly matched the selected Printer name (no HPLIP). I did not think I was using HPLIP. As referenced, I had to scroll way down the list to find the correct version.

I tried printing from LibreOffice4 and report that it works well even when there is some color in the orig. document.

PDF is next...works fine.

Webpage printing through FF23 works fine
http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KMMK.html
3 pages, good formatting good B/W copy

Thanks for this.
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

zandarian

#227 Post by zandarian »

Solution for Slacko 5.7. and HP PSC 1310 with error "usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip failed": http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 431#794431

yr1945

Cannot scan

#228 Post by yr1945 »

Cannot scan
HP Deskjet 3510 all-in-one printer
Toshiba laptop A35-S4527
Installed the following:
printer-scanner-001.sfs
printer-scanner-drivers.sfs
hplip_print-3.13.7.pet
hplip_scan-3.13.7.pet
cups-1.3.11-i486.pet

This is my main OS... Tman's warytiny... somehow just corrupted my year old savefile... no backup... recovering and, once again, I can print, but not scan...

See attachments...

Thank you for your help...
Attachments
scanning1.png
(47.47 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
scanning2.png
(58.07 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

rcrsn51

Re: Cannot scan

#229 Post by rcrsn51 »

yr1945 wrote:Installed the following:
printer-scanner-001.sfs
printer-scanner-drivers.sfs
I have no idea what those packages are or what they have to do with TinyWary. This looks like another example of a puplet builder who stripped out a bunch of stuff without thinking about the consequences.

However, you appear to be connecting to a networked unit. Is there any chance that its IP address is no longer 192.168.1.104?

yr1945

#230 Post by yr1945 »

I checked the IP address... it is correct.

Again, I can print (wireless)... just cannot scan. Before my savefile crashed... I could print and scan. However, it was set up over a year ago and I don't remember the details.

Yes, warytiny is stripped...

I will keep working on it until I can scan...

Anyway, thank you for taking a look at it...