Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#616 Post by 01micko »

bigpup,

I think tempestous, our resident driver afficianado is already aware.

See here

It's great to have tempestuous around, he fixed the driver issues with

acx, which I have in my old P3 (and playdayz included in 511 at my urgency :wink: ) and that P3 has never worked so well with a puppy ootb since the 2.6.15.16 kernel.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#617 Post by DaveS »

I posted a link to the article here yesterday http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59743
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#618 Post by pemasu »

Using the latest woof. My aim is to build special Lucid puppy mainly for my special needs with pulseaudio, python, pygtk, stream2ip included for getting wireless audio streaming to Apple Airport Express work.

I can see the installed packages in /root/.packages which I need to install from ubuntu repo. But do I need to know which package belongs to what as dependency. Or can I speciify each package with own row in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid. So I would not need to chase the dependency chain. Of course there are a lot of libs which should be listed in the same row as main app, but.. does it do any difference if all the packages are included anyway ?

I am absolutely ignorant how things work in woof.I have used guidelines in the net by BK and from playdayz`s posts along the development. They have been really helpful when trying woof building.

EDIT: What is the best way to check dependencies. Check dependencies installed pkgs goes under the screen, there should be some keystroke which enables to scroll the page down but I dont remember it. Is there other tool to check dependencies ?

scruffy

#619 Post by scruffy »

pemasu wrote:Check dependencies installed pkgs goes under the screen, there should be some keystroke which enables to scroll the page down but I dont remember it. Is there other tool to check dependencies ?
Can you drag the window up using <ALT><Left mouse Button> ?

pemasu

#620 Post by pemasu »

That worked. Thank you.

pemasu

#621 Post by pemasu »

I believe this is Lucid Puppy 5.1.2pre or something. I have now woof-tree and first Lucid Puppy made and installed. Testing it now. Not everything went well. Midori segment faults and does not start. Lucid-puppy repo is empty in PPM. There is something also in the woof. BK`s and Iguleder`s report here from BK`s blog:
Posted on 12 Sep 2010, 19:37 by Iguleder
DISTRO_PET_REPOS
Barry, something weird in latest Woof ... should be DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX or DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION and lucid.

case $DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION in #100911
lupu)
PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER="Packages-puppy-lucid-official ${PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER}"
;;
esac
Delete

Posted on 12 Sep 2010, 22:41 by BarryK
Re lucid)
Oops, yes, it should have been "lucid)".

Although, the error probably doesn't adversely affect a build of Lucid 5.1.2, as I think that playdayz intended for all the entries in Packages-puppy-lucid-official to not be chosen when building the live-CD, instead for the repo in PPM. He arranged for all required packages needed to build the live-CD to be in Packages-puppy-5-official.
I will try to get repo first visible, I should learn something in trying. Posting this from new Lucid Puppy. Firefox installed from quickpet so everything didnt fail.

EDIT: Lucid-puppy-official repo is back. I downloaded the latest repo file and copied it to /root/.packages. I also changed the DISTRO_PET_REPOS file with file from luci511. It had the above mentioned error. I dont know if it had any effect but now lucid-puppy repo is visible. I also made save file and rebooted before it came visible. Well.. that`s it for today.

Iguleder

#622 Post by Iguleder »

Kinda weird, Midori works fine in my dpup build :)

Maybe you have a corrupt package or something ... if it works fine with Debian's packages it makes it more likely that your libraries (which Midori was built against) are corrupt.

Oh, and by the way: add the "lucid" repo in the PET repos list but after Quirky, so Woof doesn't pick any packages from it. Barry said that playdayz put all packages required for 5.1.2-pre in the 5 repo. The "lucid" repo has older packages, notably an older Abiword. I noticed that my Lupu gets built with Abiword 2.8.3 or something while 5.1 has 2.8.6 (which can be obtained from the Quirky repo), so I changed the repo order to 5-quirky-lucid.

EDIT: second build, getting segfaults. :cry:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#623 Post by pemasu »

I believe also that corrupted packages is highly possible. Even when I download isos, almost every second time I get incorrect MD5 sum results with Uget. When downloading packages to woof-tree there is inevitably corrupted packages among the others.
I use normally only wireless connection. I dont have working driver for my laptop wired netcard in Lucid Puppy, but I had it working in some puppies. I might try downloading packages to woof using it.
It is kind of miracle that Luci512pre works this good. None other problems so far.

playdayz

#624 Post by playdayz »

pet-packages-lucid is for the PPM and pet_packages-5 is where specific packages to build Lucid 5.1.2pre are. it should grab abiword-2.8.6-lupu--but sometimes it seems to grab the top file instead of the one with the latest version number, so I will delete abiword-2.8.3-lupu just in case. I might not have been specific enough about Abiword--the one you want is in pet_packages-5, abiword-2.8.6-lupu--you can download it manually if necessary into packages-pet.

Here are the relevant files that I used in testing--building Lucid 5.1.2pre from scratch----put them in the woof-tree directory. Just remove the phony gz. If you have time I would recommend starting over with these files. If not, then put them in woof-tree and redownload packages and watch carefully which are downloaded and then rebuild those packages that are downloaded. It has been built from scratch twice with these files--I am not saying it was perfect, but it was close.

I haven't tested with the Woof that Barry uploaded on September 11.

In DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS_ubuntu_lucid, you will see some files such as 'cups-lucid.' What that means is that cups needed a special template in order to build and run properly. There is no provision in Woof for transferring special templates so what I did was package the resulting built package into cups_lucid so that people could build successfully. Ghostscript, xorg_base, and xserver_xorg are also in this category. I will package up the special templates and post them here later.
Attachments
Packages-puppy-lucid-official.gz
(14.2 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid.gz
(36.23 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
PKGS_MANAGEMENT.gz
(8.33 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
DISTRO_PET_REPOS.gz
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

Stripe

#625 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Playdayz after a full week of testing still cant get the new machines onboard sound to work properly with any woof built pup, so have just put a sound card in so that it will work with them.

With 512 is it just replace the downloaded files and do the same as before? will it be alright still using the 22 august woof?

Cheers
Stripe

bigpup

#626 Post by bigpup »

scruffy wrote:
pemasu wrote:Check dependencies installed pkgs goes under the screen, there should be some keystroke which enables to scroll the page down but I dont remember it. Is there other tool to check dependencies ?
Barry has updated this program to correct this problem but I do not know if it is available for download.

pemasu

#627 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Thank you of precise description. I am now little bit more aware how woof works with Lucid Puppy. I have the latest woof, but I think I have to first get more trustworthy net connection. I havent needed before wired net in the house, so I havent had need to compile netcard driver. But now I have excuse to do that. I have already source downloaded. DSL connection is fast enough and it should not be problem.

And I have Abiword 2.8.6.

pemasu

#628 Post by pemasu »

AR81Family ethernet driver is now compiled in my Lucid Puppy 512pre. Autoconf.h and some other files were in unorthodox places. Needed to edit Makefile before compiling succeeded but now my wired Atheros 8151 works.

Driver module is atl1e. The version in Lucid Puppy didnt work but this newest version works fine.
Attachments
atl1e.tar.gz
AR81 Family driver atl1e.ko. Install to /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 468 times

Karl Godt

#629 Post by Karl Godt »

Hello evreyone !

Finally got me a new HD working that is a little bit too large for my BIOS (IDE 500 GB) -- many freezes in the beginning and many grub error

But now I managed it to run 511 official release frugal on an ext4 that is primarily a luci-218 OS -- and no freezes for now .

The only new occurance was that I had to unplug the USB modem at bootup to overcome a kernel hang at checking the first partition of the first HD .

Some frugals are saying that they can`t find their .sfs file but Upup-432 , Macpup-4.3 and now Lupu-511or are booting frugal :D

All full installs are booting also . Crazy trying to boot 4.3 with kernel 2.6.33 to get the good poweroff funktion of Lupu-511 passed to the 4-series.

One of the main difference is the visibility at rox for the .desktop and .menu files compared to 4.3 !

I`m also figuring out `pgprs-shell` that is simpler but working very good !

For those about "HARDWARE NOT DETECTED" : modprobe DRIVER !

-- my USB MODEM is a HUAWEI and works well with the driver .named >> option << -- so it would be `modprobe option` -- HTH
Attachments
partview.png
(14.57 KiB) Downloaded 1937 times

Karl Godt

Solved : sfs not found

#630 Post by Karl Godt »

Some frugals are saying that they can`t find their .sfs file
SOLVED : I made a /JUMP folder on each full install on the many partitions for the frugal boot ++ but renaming them to /JUMP-partition-5 , /JUMP-partition-6 ... now the initrd.gz finds the specific .sfs

:) ;)

svgt

Booting 511 live at 12 year old machine causes kernel panic

#631 Post by svgt »

After booting the live cd I get these last messages:

setting up the layered filesystem ... done
performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem
kernel panic - not syncing - attempted to kill init!

I think its not the quality of the cd, but the quality of the old machine. The same live cd is launching at newer machines.

pemasu

#632 Post by pemasu »

Still trying to get familiar with woof. I started from bones download to new woof-1. This time I needed to add packages 5 repo to DISTRO_PET_REPOS at the last row. Otherwise pet-5 packages didnt download.

PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER='Packages-puppy-quirky-official Packages-puppy-5-official Packages-puppy-woof-official Packages-puppy-4-official'

I still dont have clear idea howto add your own pet´s so that woof accepts them for building.

Iguleder

#633 Post by Iguleder »

It's simple, add the specs line to the first repo. I added this:

Code: Select all

fotoxx-10.9.1|fotoxx|10.9.1||Graphic|603K||fotoxx-10.9.1.pet||Fotoxx photo gallery|debian|squeeze||
to the top of Packages-puppy-quirky-official, because that's my top priority repo. Then, put the pet in packages-pet.

In some cases you need to delete all other versions from the Packages-puppy-something-official if you want Woof to pick your custom package. In my case I had xine-lib 1.1.19 and the Quirky repo has 1.1.18, Woof picked the older Quirky package so I removed its entries.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

DM was on fire!

#634 Post by DM was on fire! »

svgt wrote:After booting the live cd I get these last messages:

setting up the layered filesystem ... done
performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem
kernel panic - not syncing - attempted to kill init!

I think its not the quality of the cd, but the quality of the old machine. The same live cd is launching at newer machines.
I tend to have similar issues as well. It's, in my case, scratches on the CD making it unbootable.
Since you said the machine is twelve years old, it sounds like it could possibly be insufficient memory? Since it's loaded into the ram on boot-up, and when you create a USB it says there should be atleast 512mb to load it into RAM...
:(

Nothing is really more interesting (for a Linux user) when you get a kernel panic booting from a CD. XD

HEY GUYS I have Lupu 5.11 up and running on a 4gb SanDisk Cruzer thumb drive. I've had no hassles thus far (but my computer is like...well over the specs for Puppy), except for configuring my wireless. When I would enter my WEP key on the original Network Wizard (the one I've used on Puppy 4.3 as long as I've had it), it would say it's unable to find a live connection. But going through Barry's tool worked just fine. It was a lot easier too, I must say.

I can't wait to see as this goes along. :)
In fact, if you guys give me some artwork (I typed it as arfwork. I guess it works) and logos, I'll make some wallpapers :)

pemasu

#635 Post by pemasu »

Second woof build luci512pre. Midori still segmentation faults. Seems to do so in squeeze dpup also, build by Iguleder and he uses lupu packages also. In PPM Luci repo again empty so I have missed again something. Libgoffice was missing. After installing it abiword 2.8.6 opened. So I have still work to do before I handle woof correctly. maybe I have to move pet-5 package repo after woof or .... or .......

But it works.

Iguleder: Thank you of your description. One obstacle out from building special Luci.

Why not just remastering working installation. Well... I want to have solid base system which is updatable with newer Lucid versions and general fixes by BK and easily updated to have those apps I need also. Woof should be capable to do that.