Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#496 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Everything looking good with 511 (cant break it and it works for me)

Well done and thanks everybody
Stripe

Karl Godt

xfce4 on 511rc

#497 Post by Karl Godt »

installed 01micko`s xfce pet :
[ 5-6 MB dl : 20-30 MB of pupsave ]
is working and beautyful
but
pCD didn`t want to see audio CD and interrupted internet-connection
after one reboot it did see audio CD at jwm
another reboot gave internet-connection back at jwm and pCD did not interrupt internet connection :lol: :lol: :lol:

JonT

#498 Post by JonT »

Thanks for taking notice of my tale of woe with Luci 222 with my Intel 845 graphics chip(s). It continues; once booted, 5.1.1rc runs like a charm but is a naughty puppy when I need to restart X.

Reverting 915resolution didn’t seem to make a difference. Per Jemimah’s recent post, if 915resolution is only used by Xvesa, maybe Lucid Puppy doesn’t even need it??? Nevertheless, sorry to have caused unnecessary worry.

My laptop’s problem must be some subtle issue, perhaps something like timing. I will give a little detail here in hopes it might someday be helpful, then I will be quiet on the subject. It turns out that the black screen isn’t always deadly; multiple (1 to 6) “xwin

JonT

#499 Post by JonT »

minor detail: The tool tip in flsynclient for "Tap Time" should have the word "double" removed. It's a duplicate of the "Double Tap Time" tool tip.

rjbrewer

#500 Post by rjbrewer »

JonT wrote:minor detail: The tool tip in flsynclient for "Tap Time" should have the word "double" removed. It's a duplicate of the "Double Tap Time" tool tip.
With 855gm; the xorg problem.

I found that some 2.xx series do fine with xorg, and they don't even
have the intel_drv.so.
I just deleted it in Luci and the xorg is still working fine; might be worth
a try.

It does need a few reruns of xorgwizard and a reboot .
Also the elimination of /etc/modprobe.d/i915 file.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

pemasu

#501 Post by pemasu »

Luci the latest. Works fine for me so far. Internet connection has not dropped as with some previous versions with SNS. Intel driver works. CUPS with HP1020 prints wirelessly. Usual struggle with flsynclient and touchpad. Cant find easily good compination for pad sensitivity and my left palm resting over pad. It causes losing text when writing and need to use undo. Now it is fine. No problem when writing. This is fourth time when I started Luci without savefile and it looks like flsynclient makes changes little differently every time. Call it paranoia :)

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 511
Chip description:
Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Driver used by Xorg:
intel
Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Main struggle I have now with my friends laptop. He brought me her daughter`s laptop which didnt boot Vista anymore. Hmm... Luci does not have XF-prot anymore. What a shame. Great finnish product :) My nationality demands it at least to lupu repo :) Nevermind. Fluppy 004 gets black screen.
Well.... Puppy 4.3.1 boots and XF-prot scanning after tasmod fix-pet starts. It had big difficulties in scanning C:\ and finally I cut it. Scanning D:\ fine. 60 trojans in mp3 and wma. Gparted > check > bad clusters in C:\ partition.
Copying 50 Gb digital images from C:\ stops at the beginning.

From the net Vista Recovery CD and chkdsk /f /r to C:\ 2 times. It took 30 hours with a lot of bad clusters. Copying succeeded with Puppy 4.3.1 after that. I got data safe to usb HDD.
Downloading Bitdefender rescue CD from the net. It uses Knoppix and downloads automatically latest virus definition files and starts scanning automatically. I can recommend. No new findings. XF-prot is good tool.

Now using HDD regenerator from Hiren`s Boot CD to get the best possible fix before I try to make partition cloning of factory default image partition which you can use to get working Vista with all drivers straight. It is Acer laptop and they have that partition allways. Hiren`s usb version has menu.lst which boots that partition straight.
New hdd ordered. HDD has large block which is damaged, tells the HDD regenerator visual process bar so far. Looks like it will repair couple of days at this speed.

What has above to do with Luci511 and development. I used Luci as my iso burning station and for net browsing when I searched tools from the net. No problem with burniso2cd and cd drive.

tasmod

#502 Post by tasmod »

I seem to be having a small problem with Pfind, anyone else?

If I do a full search, then provided there is a file all is well. However, as soon as I do a second search using the same GUI it completes almost immediately and finds 'no files', even though I know file exists.

Now I know it cannot have completed the search through all files that quick!

If I close Pfind and start again, all is well for first search but subsequent searches all complete quickly and fail.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

jemimah

#503 Post by jemimah »

rjbrewer wrote:
JonT wrote:minor detail: The tool tip in flsynclient for "Tap Time" should have the word "double" removed. It's a duplicate of the "Double Tap Time" tool tip.

have the intel_drv.so.
a try.

Unfortunately, deletion or downgrade of the intel driver would cause major problems for other intel cards.

rjbrewer

#504 Post by rjbrewer »

jemimah wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:

have the intel_drv.so.
a try.

Unfortunately, deletion or downgrade of the intel driver would cause major problems for other intel cards.
Yes; that's why I specifically said 855gm.

Just tried the latest Wary, with 2.6.34.1 kernel, and xorg works
fine, even with it's intel_drv.so

Edit;
Not quite fine; restart x causes black screen freeze unless intel_drv
is deleted.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#505 Post by playdayz »

Attym is not good for IRC

Think about adding the latest Xchat
Why is wrong specifically? As I understand it that is about the whole reason for ayttm being included--to use irc. To late to include xchat or other chat client now for 5.1.1--but we can put Xchat into the puppy-lucid repo.

dejan555

#506 Post by dejan555 »

playdayz, I believe the reason that Barry includes ayttm by default in official puppies is because it's supposed to be multiprotocol, not just IRC - and still lightweight but really most of protocols don't work with it anymore properly, many users connected to our freenode channel reported ayttm crashing when trying to add msn account or similar and it's interface isn't really user friendly either - so if you want IRC-only client by default in puppy any other would be better, Xchat or chatzilla as addon for mozilla browsers (full seamonkey suite actually compiles with chatzilla by default) or irssi/weechat (those too are cli/ncurses based though) I guess there are many others too (pidgin is multiprotocol but I understand that it's too heavy for default puppy iso), but any other would be better to have instead ayttm - I believe the same reason xchat was included in 4.2.x also.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

James C

#507 Post by James C »

Just wanted to pop in and say that both installs of 5.1.1 rc are running fine and no problems. :)

pemasu

#508 Post by pemasu »

Pfind. Works repetitively for me. Tried four times. Pfind scans and finds every time. Really quickly in fact.

chrismt

#509 Post by chrismt »

playdayz wrote:
Attym is not good for IRC

Think about adding the latest Xchat
Why is wrong specifically? As I understand it that is about the whole reason for ayttm being included--to use irc. To late to include xchat or other chat client now for 5.1.1--but we can put Xchat into the puppy-lucid repo.
It crashed a lot, try copying some chat log when you are chatting with it on Puppy IRC with you mouse

It suddenly crashes and as Dejan said, it had a dumb interface that makes things complicated like chatting with an individual in the IRC

With Xchat, you just need to double click his username to chat privately with him.

X-chat would be a great addition even if it is in the Puppy Lucid Repo :D

James C

#510 Post by James C »

Just another example of why I prefer Puppy.

On one of my other machines I'm upgrading my Mandriva install to the latest and greatest. I only need to download 2.4 GB .......................... :lol:

Even with high-speed internet that's going to take a while.Not a typo either, 2.4 GB to be downloaded.

Posting this from 5.1.1 on my main Linux box.

pemasu

#511 Post by pemasu »

Testing now stu90`s tunapie.pet and audacious. Works fine. Still wonder the big size of the tunapie.pet 17.5 Mb. Are all the dependencies really needed ? When I tested pulseaudio and stream2ip I had to install only one dependency and total install was much less than 17.5 Mb. I had already installed already a lot of libs and dependencies so I am not best person to evaluate.

upnorth

xchat

#512 Post by upnorth »

here is a repacked xchat with min deps from the 10.04 repo - good to try out until there's an official ver.
========================================
UPDATE: Dejan has compiled a new version, is much better. Get it here:

http://puppy.b0x.me/software/packages/i ... 6-lupu.pet
info:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 249#448249

Thanks Dejan :)
========================================

file below is nls enabled, but you would need to install this file also, containing the locales .mo files 1048.9K for NLS support:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/xc ... n/download

But, don't be alarmed by the first run warning box - it's an upstream thing. :shock:
Last edited by upnorth on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 21:18, edited 2 times in total.

Stripe

#513 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Just built a new box for somebody and I am trying it out, (card ASRock N68C-S UCC, amd x2 3000mhz dual core chip. nvidia C61[GeForce7025/nForce 630a] (rev a2) on board graphics/sound and 1gb ddr2 ram)

The graphics work perfectly (better than a graphics card) with the 173.14.25 driver, but gnome mplayer or Pmusic will not work properly with the sound, you can set the playlist at a reasonable volume but as soon as the next track starts the volume goes to max, have tried all the settings in alsamixer and no joy, installed vlc as the default sound/play/video player and no problems.

Any ideas?
Stripe

bigpup

#514 Post by bigpup »

I read posts here about problems with video drivers and using xorgwizard and after running xorgwizard, they get black screen of death. That black screen of death is a indication, that whatever they did running xorgwizard, has it trying to use the wrong video driver and settings for their equipment.

Here is a guide to follow in running xorgwizard:

Source of drivers from forum
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index. ... order=DESC

Be aware that you will need at lest 200MB free in your pupsave

If You Have Not Installed a Driver
Instructions:
*install new driver from PPM (Puppy Package Manager) or from other source.
*exit to a prompt, Menu/Start >> Shutdown >> Exit to Prompt in JWM, Menu/Start >> Logout >> Logout in Icewm
*type xorgwizard at the prompt
*select choose from the dialog
*type name of new driver in the entry box
*select your desired resolution in the next list view and then your desired color depth, I always recommend the "x24" option
*You can choose to test your settings (optional), and follow the prompts
*xorgwizard is now finished so then type xwin at the prompt.
*You can check if the new driver is being used several ways-
1. look in the xorg.conf file
2. Hardinfo hardware information program (display> open GL info)

IF YOU ARE USING A NVIDIA DRIVER
Nvidia X server settings program
If you cannot get the settings you want with xorgwizard
Try Nvidia X server settings program (should be listed in menu)
* In the section "X server display configuration" If you change the resolution settings
do not use the apply button but make sure you select save to X configuration file.
*Restart X to make sure the new settings are being used.

Having Video Driver Issues
(Try a different driver)
Be aware that you will need at lest 200MB free in your pupsave

If you have tried a new driver
Instructions:
*Uninstall whatever new driver you have now with Puppy Package manager.
*reboot, this is important, a full reboot flushes all traces of the old driver
*install new driver from PPM or from other source.
*exit to a prompt, Menu/Start >> Shutdown >> Exit to Prompt in JWM, Menu/Start >> Logout >> Logout in Icewm
*type xorgwizard at the prompt
*select choose from the dialog
*type name of new driver in the entry box
*select your desired resolution in the next list view and then your desired color depth, I always recommend the "x24" option
*You can choose to test your settings (optional), and follow the prompts
*xorgwizard is now finished so then type xwin at the prompt.
If something goes wrong try again without uninstalling the driver or try this method with a new driver, FIRST uninstalling whatever driver is installed.

playdayz

#515 Post by playdayz »

here is a repacked xchat with min deps from the 10.04 repo - good to try out until there's an official ver.
Hey upnorth, How about we just make yours the official version? I will upload to PPM later tonight. Thanks.

I have uploaded a new version of Bibletime today, plus Gnu_Backgammon prepared by tronkel, and xchat. You can always get a copy of the latest index to the puppy-lucid repo of PPM at LupuNews (Quickpet under News).