Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#16 Post by James C »

Installed pet,restarted X and............................ :)
Attachments
luci-icewm.png
(182.85 KiB) Downloaded 3289 times

Stripe

#17 Post by Stripe »

Hi 01micko

Instaled the delayed run pet and works fine, if you change the desktops with the desktop/wm switcher.

If in icewm and you use the shutdown/restart in jvm option, only the sound icon appears in the task bar when jvm is started.

Hope this helps
Stripe

James C

#18 Post by James C »

Stripe wrote: If in icewm and you use the shutdown/restart in jvm option, only the sound icon appears in the task bar when jvm is started.
Just confirmed..............................only the sound icon appears.Restart JWM no effect. Restart X returns the correct icons to the taskbar.

nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

I dl and tested on my PB A6 and report success in that this version did everything automatically. As a relentless Newbie I appreciate such features.

What I am not so comfortable with is that it love to do "Indexing" on a directory if it has jpg in it.

If one have very many such then it locks up the computer for a long time, several minutes and even crash when one have 512 or less in memory.

How can I tell it to not do index for media files?

Firefox did well on CNN video but Opera browser failed. Could be Opera and have nothing to do with Luci?

There is a lot of things me have not tested this time. Wine and Spotify and such.
Last edited by nooby on Sat 21 Aug 2010, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#20 Post by zigbert »

Some notes after using Puppy 5.1 some days.
All in all, it works very well. Congrats!!!

--> Default jwm-theme: Hard to tell which is the active window. The window heading for active and inactive is rather similar.
--> The everlasting issue that the exec-button in geany is still there. The answer is also still the same: 'term_cmd=/usr/X11R7/bin/xterm -e bash -c' in /root/.config/geany.conf
--> Gtk-theme: Hard to determine the scrollbar-button with default theme
--> id3info is missing, which is required of both Pmetatagger and Pmusic. I consider switching to id3v2 for Pmusic. The benefits is that it supports both version 1 & 2 tags, while mp3info only supports version 1. id3v2 is also able to remove a tag completely. The downside is that Pmetatagger does not support id3v2. Do you have any thoughts?
--> The new gtkdialog-based yaf-splash is annoying when it steel focus while I'm typing. What was the actual problem with the original?
--> Would it be possible to include some classes into the wm-configs? gtkdialog scripts will benefit of that. (Fullscreen, do not show in tray, on top, ...) Some of my scripts already uses classes as they are defined in Stardust (DuDE). This is what is added in my /root/.jwmrc:

Code: Select all

<Group>
<Class>fullscreen</Class>
<Option>layer:12</Option>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>maximized</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>applet</Class>
<Option>layer:1</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<!-- above other apps, but below main tray -->
<Class>ontop</Class>
<Option>layer:7</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>maximized</Class>
<Option>maximized</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>nolist</Class>
<Option>nolist</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>noborder</Class>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>notitle</Class>
<Option>notitle</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>sticky</Class>
<Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>

01micko

#21 Post by 01micko »

ok.. time to be "not so serious"... :shock: :lol: (it is the week end after all :wink: )

I made an iconset for the new blinky.. (er.. network_tray to be more "official" :wink: ).. if you recall there's an alternate set for this blinky in the main thread (approaching 140 pages :roll: )

Try if you want, should uninstall ok.

Cheers
Attachments
fun-icons.png
scary pup!
(12.33 KiB) Downloaded 3046 times
puppy_net_icons-1.pet
fun icons
(1009 Bytes) Downloaded 1230 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#22 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote: --> Default jwm-theme: Hard to tell which is the active window. The window heading for active and inactive is rather similar.
--> The everlasting issue that the exec-button in geany is still there. The answer is also still the same: 'term_cmd=/usr/X11R7/bin/xterm -e bash -c' in /root/.config/geany.conf
--> Gtk-theme: Hard to determine the scrollbar-button with default theme
--> id3info is missing, which is required of both Pmetatagger and Pmusic. I consider switching to id3v2 for Pmusic. The benefits is that it supports both version 1 & 2 tags, while mp3info only supports version 1. id3v2 is also able to remove a tag completely. The downside is that Pmetatagger does not support id3v2. Do you have any thoughts?
--> The new gtkdialog-based yaf-splash is annoying when it steel focus while I'm typing. What was the actual problem with the original?
--> Would it be possible to include some classes into the wm-configs? gtkdialog scripts will benefit of that. (Fullscreen, do not show in tray, on top, ...) Some of my scripts already uses classes as they are defined in Stardust (DuDE). This is what is added in my /root/.jwmrc:
*Jwm theme, yes I agree, needs a tweak

*will fix the genie issue

*hmmm.. scroll bar looks ok to me,.. are you using a CRT or LCD monitor? I'm on LCD with standard nv (nvidia) driver.

*yes, aware of ID3 bug, made a pet..in the 'bugfix' thread (under bugs). My thought is to advance. :wink: . The old hardware can keep up. I have proved it by running this version very well on my old K6 (my second oldest dino :wink: ).

*hmm... guilty as charged over gtkdialog-splash... Barry liked it,, :? .. I had it in Quickpet as a work-around for CJK and Bidi languages because yaf-splash is restricted in that department. Forum member mave ran with it as a side project, Barry picked up on it and liked .. end of story.

*we do need to do much cleaning up of Jwm. Classes included,

Thanks for your comments Sigmund.

Cheers

Mick

01micko

#23 Post by 01micko »

woops! :oops:
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 21 Aug 2010, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

Minnesota

#24 Post by Minnesota »

01micko
I made an iconset for the new blinky.. (er.. network_tray to be more "official" Wink ).. if you recall there's an alternate set for this blinky in the main thread (approaching 140 pages Rolling Eyes )
Try if you want, should uninstall ok.
Cheers
OK.....can we go one small step forward with this... Please put 511 in puppy's face.

512 next version :)

Tasgarth

Full Install luci 217

#25 Post by Tasgarth »

TEST luci 217 FULL INSTALL:

'azerty' and fr_FR (France), Nvidia driver (GeForce 7600 GT ,AMD AM2

It's good but :
1) I don't have 'Complete Configuration Experience' on desktop
I must do :
Menu > Setup > CCE in order to get 'my' keyboard layout, Time Zone, Video driver, locale etc...
After that azerty, fr_Fr, Time zone (UTC) are right.
----------------------

That is right (my habitual use)) :
--- glxgears : OK
--- jwm, icewm : OK
--- startmount, numlock, opera 10-60 (icewm), python interpreter : all OK
--- gimp, vlc (listen and record ): all OK
--- for the fun: google-Earth, Stellerium (fun of the fun : it's 11 a.m. o'clock) : all OK
---------------------------------------------

That is bad for me:
--- sylpheed : Filter tool.
I Created several 'filter rules' >... after > Tools > 'Filter all messages in folder => pop-up "Error occured while processing messages"

My tiny hint about FULL INSTALL with the "puppy Installer" :
write out we must mount the live-CD before installing...
01micko, playdayz:
In PPM , CCE and QP:
Typo error about 'nvidia driver (GeForce 7600 GT)' : it's 35 and not 36...pet (CCE and QuickPet)
----------------------------------------------

--- Iron Browser is good, perhaps put it in QP or PPM ?

Cheers,
Last edited by Tasgarth on Sat 21 Aug 2010, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.

chrismt

#26 Post by chrismt »

01micko wrote:scsijon..

Just test what you usually do.. hopefully QP is ok for you now :wink: (just try the small packages.. Pwidgets is the smallest)

Here's (attached) is my proposed changes to /usr/sbin/delayedrun so Icewm and Jwm can share the icons in the tray... might as well test so BarryK has an idea if it works ok and can include in the woof build system.

What it does:
  • *modifies /usr/sbin/delayedrun so that the messy scripts being used now for icewm become redundant.
    *it actually changes some permissions on the icewm files so they don't interfere
    *upgrades wmswitcher.. (hopefully you won't notice a thing there :wink: )
Have fun testing :P

Cheers
This just removed my network tray icon in my IceWm

How do I bring it back?

sinc

#27 Post by sinc »

I still lose wireless connection after a period of non-use and have to rerun the connection manager to reconnect using b43legacy.

or restart the computer, the connection reestablishes between restarts but not while running

shinobar

timezone issue

#28 Post by shinobar »

HI all,
grad to see your new activity brushing up Lucid Puppy.

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit on lupu does not call rc.country.
This is the cause of the timezone issue.
Calling rc.country, we need not run /root/Startup/settime anymore.

The rc.sysinit and also rc.country to be reverted to those of the woof.
Is there any problem on the direct desktop?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

Right click 'Connect' icon

#29 Post by shinobar »

Lupu makes automatic LAN connection if eth0 and DHCP available.
In this case, right click the 'Connect' icon on the desktop.
It has the menu items 'Autoconnect'/'Disconnect', but it does not but launches connection wizard in this case.

Replace /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun by the attached.

shinobar

Development files

#30 Post by shinobar »

01micko

#31 Post by 01micko »

Minnesota wrote: OK.....can we go one small step forward with this... Please put 511 in puppy's face.

512 next version :)
:lol: .. Poor Puppy!

I don't think "in your face" is the right approach for everybody so I have come up with an alternative,

Now tasmod created his firewall tray app which is very nice, (see here), works great for me and has version info included. It's not standard Puppy fare at the moment (but that could change) so I took the machete to some more of Barry's code ..( :roll: .. he may take the machete to me soon :shock: )

Now, the freememapplet_tray shows a tooltip (balloon for some) showing the size of your pupsave/partition and free space left over. If you click that it invokes 'partview'.. an app that shows your partitions and free space left, with a nice little bar graph. You may not know this because there is no indication.

I have added to the tooltip that clicking will invoke Partview. I have also added to Partview some version information, Puppy version and kernel.. referred to in the tooltip.

Note that this is my hacked version of Barry's freememapplet_tray with the stacked rings, as opposed to Barry's original with the single ring that slides up (well mostly down) the post.

The following .pet contains the newly compiled freememapplet_tray and the adjusted Partview.

Feedback please.

Cheers.
Attachments
partview-with-versioninfo.png
(29.92 KiB) Downloaded 2438 times
tooltip.png
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 2463 times
freememapplet_tray_me1-2.2-3.pet
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 773 times

Minnesota

Smile and laugh for the day

#32 Post by Minnesota »

01micko

Smile and laugh for the day when I read your response... good step forward.

Very good creative solution.. just curious is it automatic then as to different puppies and versions? Yes in your face is or Puppy's face not so good. Idea was....:))))).

Have great weekend.

G

Jim1911

#33 Post by Jim1911 »

Great :D :D :D :D :D

Fresh frugal installation on ext4 partition. Very solid, everything works as it should and I've added many extras. It's so good that 510 has already been moved to a backup directory.

Consider adding PupShutdown-1.3 to the lucid ppm repository. Works great with Lucid.

Thanks,
Jim

Stripe

#34 Post by Stripe »

01micko wrote:
Note that this is my hacked version of Barry's freememapplet_tray with the stacked rings, as opposed to Barry's original with the single ring that slides up (well mostly down) the post.

The following .pet contains the newly compiled freememapplet_tray and the adjusted Partview.
Best one yet 01micko love the stacked rings as opposed to the single ring sliding down. (easier to tell with a glance)

Stripe

Just noticed the drop down menus are not working properly in cups 1.4.3 as when I was setting a printer up I couldnt print a test page
Last edited by Stripe on Sun 22 Aug 2010, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

rjbrewer

#35 Post by rjbrewer »

Luci 217 with its' 126mb size booted into my P3 laptop, 128mb ram,
no swap, fairly quickly.
It did freeze up while trying to navigate through the forum, using
Netsurf from live cd.

My remastered 5.1 full install 187mb iso runs very fast even without swap;
(and still have 5mb ram to squander at my own discretion) :lol:
Attachments
free.jpg
(78.26 KiB) Downloaded 730 times

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs