Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Tasgarth

#106 Post by Tasgarth »

playdayz wrote :
hese are both packages in Puppy Package Manager now. Pmusic NLS is under Multimedia and Geany DOCNLS is under Document. I think you should have those in luci-218.
Yes they are in PPM
All is right (luci 218 Full Install)

Thanks

James C

#107 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:Puppy Browser Patch..

Just install the pet, will fix if Seamonkey 2 is installed, I'll check firefox in a mo, oh yeah I didn't forget Cups and Bareview :wink: . Help now works,

Don't know how the fix the certificate error but I suspect SM-1X would need a run. I bet we had that error in Puppy 5 too, just no one picked it up.. :roll: :lol:

Cheers

EDIT: uninstalled Seamonkey2 and installed Firefox... PuppyBrowser set up my printer in a jiffy with this patch :wink:
Believe I've installed all of the patches and all is good in Puppyland again. :lol:

I have PuppyBrowser,Arora,Firefox 3.6.8 and Opera 10.61 installed and they now seem to co-exist very nicely. The taskbar icons are staying in place as well.

01micko

#108 Post by 01micko »

Tar for the feedback James C,

There is 1 potential issue wiv jwmx2.

If you have Pwidgets installed it will want to restart too, no need for that... I can fix that, but for the new Ice package, I wont do another patch.

Thanks for having fun testing :P

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

chrismt

Just a suggestion

#109 Post by chrismt »

It would be great if my network icon could display the name of the wireless connection that I am connected to when I hover my mouse over the network icon at the taskbar

Currently when I hover, I see Network Connection:Wlan0

I don't see the name of the access point

I wish the next Puppy 5.2 will have this feature

It would also be great if I can install multiple packages via the Puppy Package Manager automatically one after the another with all dependencies or without dependencies, you can add a tick option to PPM

I can tick all that I want to be installed, go make a coffee and come back and see that all have installed automatically.

Currently, you have to do everything manually

Regards
Last edited by chrismt on Mon 23 Aug 2010, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#110 Post by 01micko »

chrismt

Do you mean the ESSID? That is the name you assign the router.

Can do, but not yet. May offer as an alternate package,

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

chrismt

#111 Post by chrismt »

01micko wrote:chrismt

Do you mean the ESSID? That is the name you assign the router.

Can do, but not yet. May offer as an alternate package,

Cheers
Yes micko

I currently have two wifi connections here named 'Thomas' and 'ChrisWifi' so I am not sure what Pwireless connects when I start up my PC as I have already entered and saved the password in Pwireless

I have to go to menu and run Pwireless again to see what access point it is connected to

I hope you get what I mean

If I could hover my mouse over the network icon in the tray and see the name of the connection, then it would be much easier.

And this is a normal feature in most OS, I guess

Thanks!

Stripe

#112 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

have dropped back to 217 and no probs, how would I verify the content of a cd?

Stripe

Karl Godt

#113 Post by Karl Godt »

luci-218 : pupdial : first time of not able to connect

instead of :
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de","",0,0
OK

I got :
Error : Bad init string

4.3.0/1 :

Code: Select all

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT+CPIN=1628
AT+CPIN=1628
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de","",0,0
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de","",0,0
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATX1DT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX1DT*99#
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX1DT*99#
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX1DT*99#
CONNECT 7200000
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Tue Aug 24 00:20:59 2010
--> pid of pppd: 28216
qret-120 : o.k.

lupu-501 : o.k.

[edit]

solved it by copying pupdial from 4.3.0/1 to luci-218

sdiff /pupdial-4 /pupdial-luci218 command showed ~70 changed/removed/added lines

frist I thought it would be pppd
Last edited by Karl Godt on Thu 26 Aug 2010, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#114 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Done a clean full install of 218 eventualy (bad disks) just noticed a couple of things

puppy browser is running but showing blank screens on the help file and the cups printer wizard. (puppy news is showing OK in firefox)

Nvidia driver and vlc would not install from quickpet but were OK from the PPM (seemed to download OK but would not install, very strange)

No smooth color, Blue moon or Flat orange quick pet icon's (I think cat dude did them)

Cheers
Stripe

Just added the puppybrowser patch-1.pet and everything works
(well done 01micko for fixing it before I knew it was not working)

rjbrewer

Re: Just a suggestion

#115 Post by rjbrewer »

chrismt wrote:It would be great if my network icon could display the name of the wireless connection that I am connected to when I hover my mouse over the network icon at the taskbar

Currently when I hover, I see Network Connection:Wlan0

Regards
Here is a .pet called Rutilt.

It's been around a long time and I use it on all my Puppy installs for
wireless info and realtime signal strength when moving about.

Puts a little icon in tray when activated.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 128#220815

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

James C

#116 Post by James C »

A rather uneventful evening of testing Luci-218.........everything seems to be working correctly :lol:

Stripe

#117 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Been downloading, ripping, converting and mixing audio/video files for about 4 hours with a 218 full install on the 800mhz box and not a glitch. perfection
The speed difference between the 800 box and the 3200 box is not that noticable, apart from the inability to play you tube videos with flash.

has anybody tried the ffmpeg converter gui on lucid yet? could be a useful pet.

Well done everybody
Stripe

Stripe

#118 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Just downloaded and installed Jokosher-0.11.5-Lucid from the PPM and it listed the following missing shared libraries: libkdecore.so.5 libwebkit-1.0.so2

Jokosher will not run (python was installed)
gives Import error: No module named pygtk (when run in terminal)

Hope that helps
Stripe

ICPUG

#119 Post by ICPUG »

Are there any specific goals for 5.1.1 or is it just a bugfix and upgrade from 5.1?

Playdayz - you mentioned near the start that 5.1.1 is built differently from 5.1. Can you briefly say how and what benefit the change gives?

playdayz

#120 Post by playdayz »

Just downloaded and installed Jokosher-0.11.5-Lucid from the PPM and it listed the following missing shared libraries: libkdecore.so.5 libwebkit-1.0.so2

Jokosher will not run (python was installed)
It was a failed experiment--not meant to show up in PPM. Sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone confirm for me that PuppyBrowser will not download from LupuNews, please.

dejan555

#121 Post by dejan555 »

Here's dillo 2.2 compiled on 510 I suggest using in futher releases as "Generic browser"
I know netsurf has nicer interface but it renders images bad and stretches pages while it loads them so it feels like a real lag - dillo is fast and convinient.
Also wasn't sure where to post the package :P

dillo+fltk-lupu.pet 941 KB
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

playdayz

#122 Post by playdayz »

Thanks dejan555. Netsurf is not going to work for us. In the development releases for 5.11 we are trying PuppyBrowser, but unfortunately it seems like it will not download correctly from LupuNews. We have also tried HelpSurfer in house and that works for the Welcome1stboot but for nothing else.

What we need: A small fast browser that
1) Will run Puppy Help--that means the drop down menus.
2) will run Cups--again drop down menus
3) will run LupuNews--that means will download correctly.

I tested Dillo the other day and I don't think it will do these things either. I was surprised and disappointed that PuppyBrowser didn't work for #3. Perhaps someone knows something I am doing wrong and PuppyBrowser will in fact download.

Lobster should know for sure I think. Suggestions are Welcome!
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 24 Aug 2010, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#123 Post by playdayz »

Are there any specific goals for 5.1.1 or is it just a bugfix and upgrade from 5.1?

Playdayz - you mentioned near the start that 5.1.1 is built differently from 5.1.
ICPUG, 5.1.1 contains all of the bug fixes we have found to this point--all those in the Instant Update 003 plus a few more so far.

We have now realized that Netsurf is not adequate--it does not run cups correctly nor does it run Puppy Help correctly--both issues have to do with drop down menus. I have tried to interest the Netsurf developers in working with us, but to no avail. There is more explanation in the message right above this one.

5.11 is built with a later Woof than the one used to build 5.10. The advantage there is that later fixes and enhancements that Barry has incorporated into Woof will transfer to Lucid Puppy--Barry discusses those on his blog. Additionally using the latest Woof means that people will be able to build 5.11 with Woof at Home as soon as it (Woof with 5.11) is released and get an identical 5.11 to the one available for download. There is a risk associated with using the latest Woof which entails more testing, because something that Barry implements will receive more testing in Quirky and Wary and might accidentally have an incompatibility with the Ubuntu binaries that we use. That is the reason for several developmental releases of luci to test for the 5.11 release. Thanks.

jemimah

#124 Post by jemimah »

playdayz wrote:Thanks dejan555. Netsurf is not going to work for us. In the development releases for 5.11 we are trying PuppyBrowser, but unfortunately it seems like it will not download correctly from LupuNews. We have also tried HelpSurfer in house and that works for the Welcome1stboot but for nothing else.

What we need: A small fast browser that
1) Will run Puppy Help--that means the drop down menus.
2) will run Cups--again drop down menus
3) will run LupuNews--that means will download correctly.

I tested Dillo the other day and I don't think it will do these things either. I was surprised and disappointed that PuppyBrowser didn't work for #3. Perhaps someone knows something I am doing wrong and PuppyBrowser will in fact download.

Lobster should know for sure I think. Suggestions are Welcome!
Technosaurus' 5MB Midori build is probably the best option. It might even be stable enough for serious use by now; maybe he could be convinced to rebuild with the latest source. I don't know if CUPS crashes it or not though - not sure if that's a Webkit problem or a Chrome problem. Downgrading to CUPS 1.3 might be an option if it does.

James C

#125 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: Can anyone confirm for me that PuppyBrowser will not download from LupuNews, please.
Confirmed from here.