Browserlinux 501

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
KANECO

PXE Boot

#61 Post by KANECO »

Hello darkcity

The PXE boot environment is a network boot disktless from a tftp server your computer go until the server and boot from this tftp server without any disk or usb or cd.

thank you for the suggestions but the two ways you suggest don't work for me because on this pxe environment I can't access to a disk to save I have to set the parameters on the boot files.

Best regards

gcmartin

Puppy has a PXE setup

#62 Post by gcmartin »

Puppy has a PXE setup. It was built by JamesBond and can be found here. You get the Puppy ISO, it does everything else for you.

The enclosed instructions does all the hand-holding. The PC on the LAN that will boot after you setup, does not need a CD/DVD drive or a Hard drive or anything other than a LAN on the Motherboard. Just tested a moment ago with BrowserLinux. It works fine.

Hope this helps

Volhout

well done

#63 Post by Volhout »

GCMartin,

Thanks for this great puppy. It is only recently I stumbled upon it, and it works great. Simple, straightforward.

The only negative I found is that (running frugal from USB stick) mnt/home is not a drive icon on the desktop. This may have been intentionally, but if it is your only file storage location on a discless system......

Great puppy.....

Regards,

Volhout

jimla

email application

#64 Post by jimla »

Is it possible to install a simple email application like Sylpheed to Browserlinux?

maureenc

Installing to Old Laptop Hard Drive

#65 Post by maureenc »

Martin. I absolutely love this Puppy.... It is incredibly neat and really cool.... Thank you for all your hard work in creating it for us.

I want to permanently install it to my old Compaq Presario Hard Drive (currently running it from a CD) as I want it to completely overwrite any Windows stuff that was there originally. Compaq had created a "recovery" drive which I've not been able to delete yet and I want this to be just a totally Linux machine.

I've had a couple of attempts at doing this but not yet succeeded in getting it to boot from the Hard Drive... Is there a foolproof method? I am not a "hands on" Linux person although I do run Ubuntu only on my Desktop.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you once again for this wonderful Puppy.

Mo

gcmartin

Re: well done

#66 Post by gcmartin »

Volhout wrote: ... recently I stumbled upon it, and it works great. Simple, straightforward.

The only negative I found is that (running frugal from USB stick) mnt/home is not a drive icon on the desktop. This may have been intentionally, but if it is your only file storage location on a discless system......

Great puppy.....

Regards,

Volhout
I use the NAS on my LAN for file/download storage. This allows completely disk-free operation on the local system.

On a bench PC that I use for testing, I have a USB that contains SWAP and a small "Public" partition that I share via SAMBA with users on my LAN. This allows a simple fast OS. That PC has been an Internet PC that is stable, fast, open and extremely useful for testing and various other uses.

Hope this helps

seasidesoulish

root user & password

#67 Post by seasidesoulish »

Hi I'm trying to add my printer via cups which I installed onto browserlinux but it won't accept...

user:puppy
password:linux

any thoughts please?

thanks
:lol: www.myspace.com/adrianmaxwell :roll:

rockitman

Install Linux Firewall with BrowserLinux 501?

#68 Post by rockitman »

Hello,
This is my first venture into the linux environment. I was able to burn the BrowserLinux cd and boot up from it. However, it suggested that I install Linux Firewall ver. 2.orc9 (or something like that). I only want to run BrowserLinux from the cd, so if I choose to install, does it just load into ram memory also, or will it install on the hdd? I would rather not install anything on the hdd, but want to be able to surf safely. Or is the firewall installation only used when installing the program to the hdd? Thanks in advance!

rockitman

Firewall, also hard drive partitions visible on desktop

#69 Post by rockitman »

Hi,
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question in my previous post about whether to install the linux firewall when running Browserlinux 501 from live cd only. Also, since my hard drive partitions (SDA1, SDA2, SDA3) show up on the desktop, even when running from live cd, does this pose a risk? Thanks for answering newbie questions.

Ray MK

#70 Post by Ray MK »

hi rockitman

If you are booting/running from CD without a save_file,
you probably have no cause for concern, unless you are
visiting dodgy websites.

If you have a router wired or wifi, or both, you are almost certainly already behind a firewall.

However, another firewall does no harm and may add an additional layer of security.

So, by all means, run the puppy firewall wizard and select the no questions option.
It all runs in ram anyway (assuming you have 256mb+ ram)

Your HDD and partitions are not accessible until you mount them (ie - click on the icons to see what's there) As long as you un-mount them again, they are safe.

If you like have a small save_file to keep settings persistant, just make a clean back-up copy and put it in a safe folder somewhere, before going on the internet.

If ever you have what looks like a problem, delete the origional save_file and replace it with the back-up.
(then make another back-up of the clean back-up you are about to use, before using it)

You are good to go again in a matter of seconds. (ie a re-boot)

HTH - welcome to and have fun with Puppy.

Regards - Ray

rockitman

Firewall, etc.

#71 Post by rockitman »

Thanks Ray, that's just what I needed to know - appreciate it!

bruno

updating firefox

#72 Post by bruno »

browserlinux is so great, i use it already longtime.
Bedankt Martin!
Now i'm using 501, but when i upgrade firefox (now it's to version 10), then firefox doesn't work good any more, running very slow and halting. If i just keep it on version 5, all goes well.
I tried already many times, and I always have to ho back to a clean start from the live CD, because the upgraded firefox doesn't work

mikemason

BrowserLinux 501 Changing Desktop Size

#73 Post by mikemason »

Thanks for BrowserLinux 501, I've installed it on a USB pen and am enjoying it.

But how do you change the desktop size, I've got about a inch on both sides of the screen, xorg is set to 1024x768x24 vega and fills the screen but when the browser is maximized it's much smaller.

Have a great day!

bruno

updating firefox

#74 Post by bruno »

After updating firefox from verison 5 in browserlinux 501, to the newest version, that's 11 now, firefox becomes very slow. It happens every time, with every machine that I try it with.
Doesn't anybody else have this problem?

michel804

Upgrading firefox in a frugal install

#75 Post by michel804 »

After updating firefox from verison 5 in browserlinux 501, to the newest version, that's 11 now, firefox becomes very slow. It happens every time, with every machine that I try it with.
Doesn't anybody else have this problem?
Hi bruno, did you ever find the solution to the issue about FF? I have had the same problem and i would like to understand what is going on.
For now my remedy is : Do not update on a frugal install

Can someone explain what really happens when FF is updated on a frugal install ?
Thanks

666philb

#76 Post by 666philb »

hi michel804

i've had this problem in the past and found it's usually to do with firefox not liking the flash version i'm using

try updating both
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

michel804

#77 Post by michel804 »

666philb wrote:hi michel804

i've had this problem in the past and found it's usually to do with firefox not liking the flash version i'm using

try updating both
Hi 666philb, thanks for your response.
I am not sure if the flash version makes a difference since it crashed on a webpage where there was no flash video...however, i will try the flash upgrade just to test.
However, i still would like to understand what happens when you have a frugal install with FF in sfs file and FF upgrades automatically. where do the new files go ? and is it possible to undo that upgrade ?
Thanks

Michel

bruno

FF getting slow after updating

#78 Post by bruno »

Nowadays this problem of slowing down FF after updating seems to have disappeared.
I just run 501 from the CD, with a fresh savefile on USB, and immediately update it straight to FF18.
I don't notice any slowing down any more.
And I also update to the latest flash, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Rodney Byne

501 overview after 5 years

#79 Post by Rodney Byne »

I decided to give 501 another airing after testing many
other modern distros and found it looking dated and tired
by comparison, but is still working ok as a backup.

From FF About, button-upgraded the original FF5, first step to FF12, then
to FF45, where this modern version soon crashed as the system seemed
to be overstretched.

So re-installed to usb and this time stopped at FF12 for stability.

Java doesn't play nicely compared to modern systems.
Using Flightradar24.com as assessment, the little yellow planes are
there and call signs do appear though displaced with mouse hover.
But planes barely move and the info panel doesn't show on left hand
side when a plane is clicked.

Surprisingly flash still works with the original native version.
I use BBC.co.uk/news/10318089 as performance assessment.

From /root/.jwmrc-tray I edited the text file to reduce the
tray height a bit and within the quotes, changed "centre" to "right"
which shifted the tray over to screen right out of the way.
Left length as it was at 800 units.

Regards to all.