Venting Frustration on Developers, ATI x1150-x1250

Booting, installing, newbie
thefixer

Venting Frustration on Developers, ATI x1150-x1250

#1 Post by thefixer »

Why the hell, hasnt the linux community gotten decent drivers for the x1150-x1250 GPU platform????? Im serious, this is really beginning to piss me off, that platform is WIDESPREAD and WIDELY deployed, not the greatest GPU, but definatly capable of DX9 graphics, so why the CRAP!?!!?! Hasnt the linux community figured this one out eh? Is it that damn hard to figure out????? I dont write software or code, but give me a fking break!! Im sorry this has really fking miffed me off for the last time. From Puppy to Ubuntu, Slax, Fedora and the rest, no one, NOT ONE OF THEM has a decent graphics driver rollup. Whats so fricking hard about putting EVERY DRIVER FOR EVERY VIDEO CARD MADE IN THE DAMN DISTRO!?!?!?!? Is coding a drive for the ATI GPU some kind of god damn coursed endeavor everyones afriad of??? Has ATI condemned development of open source drivers???? Cmon guys what the fuck, seriously!

i GUESS THE DEVS EXPECT EVERYONE TO USE A GOD DAMN NVIDIA CARD THESE DAYS EH?

Oh and one more thing, UBUNTU RUNS LIKE FROSTY DOG SHIT ON USB FLASH!!
Last edited by thefixer on Wed 18 Aug 2010, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

Your refund check is in the mail, along with a coupon for some free Linux downloads. :P

abushcrafter

#3 Post by abushcrafter »

DX IS WINDOWS ONLY, M$ SPECIAL :twisted: :P!
Last edited by abushcrafter on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

abushcrafter

Re: Venting Frustration on Developers, ATI x1150-x1250

#4 Post by abushcrafter »

thefixer wrote:Whats so fricking hard about putting EVERY DRIVER FOR EVERY VIDEO CARD MADE IN THE DAMN DISTRO!?!?!?!?
Here is a example. The Brother printer drivers add up to 200mb, that's twice as big as puppy! When the HP driver, which does all the HP printers is a few KB. Do you think devs that care about size will put them in?
thefixer wrote:i GUESS THE DEVS EXPECT EVERYONE TO USE A GOD DAMN NVIDIA CARD THESE DAYS EH?
No.

There are proprietary ATI driver PETs on the forums. DID YOU SEARCH? Did you know you need to install a PET for 3D acceleration?

These posts/rants where people have not done some research and do not fully appreciate what Barry has done rely piss him off. Barry Kauler - Powered by PPLOG - Read-only blog
Last edited by abushcrafter on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

Patriot

#5 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

:lol:

Another one barking up the wrong tree I see ... perhaps one need to remember that developers (whether from puppy, ubuntu, Slax, Fedora or whatever) is an ogre, err ... is a person ... a person is like onions .... and onions have layers ... :lol:

AFAIK and yeah, I dunno much, no puppy devs is doing any actual video h/w driver development work. Anyway, I recalled doing some testing on a D102GGC2 many moons back, X1200 = RS690. Puppy 4.31 was working fine on it. Ah yes, the 3D does needs new Mesa ... that got it working ...

But ... that was many moons ago ... BTW, I'm not on nvidia or ati ... I'm using VIA p4m900 IGP ... Anyway what's wrong with using XP? I hack, err .... use them everyday and I have no problems with it ...

Rgds

thefixer

wtf

#6 Post by thefixer »

"There are proprietary ATI driver PETs on the forums. DID YOU SEARCH? Did you know you need to install a PET for 3D acceleration?"

Yeah I installed Xorg 7.3 = FAIL, antinspect worked ONE time, then for some reason, "unknown command" the next time I tried it. I guess it magically uninstalled itself. But its irrelevant because no games would run event when it was working.
Yeah I installed both 9.3 catalyst and 9.9 = FAIL - Xorgwizard reports "No ATI Adapter detected" with either of them, and I know damn well theres an ATI gpu on my mobo

abushcrafter

#7 Post by abushcrafter »

thefixer wrote:Yeah I installed Xorg 7.3 = FAIL, antinspect worked ONE time,
Did you use "xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet" or "xorg_xorg_dri-7.3-1.pet" if you are in 4.3.* other wise there is some other packages for the 5 series of puppy.
thefixer wrote:then for some reason, "unknown command" the next time I tried it. I guess it magically uninstalled itself.
I guess you had a "pup-save"? If so maybe it's corrupted. Boot with the boot parameter: "pfix=fsck" like so if you use the main puppy: "puppy pfix=fsck"

thefixer wrote:But its irrelevant because no games would run event when it was working.
Like Open Arena (Quake based games)? I have this problem Which I had fixed some how in the past but I can't remember what I did. Have you tried Light House Pup? It comes with the ATI proprietary driver, It's a option in the "xorgwizard". 3D acceleration woks fully too with a SFS addon.
thefixer wrote:Yeah I installed both 9.3 catalyst and 9.9 = FAIL - Xorgwizard reports "No ATI Adapter detected" with either of them, and I know damn well theres an ATI gpu on my mobo
I am clueless as that is not in my knowledge.

I have had times where things have not worked. Where I was desperate and would try other distos and also get depressed. I came to the conclusion that puppy was best a flash drive installs have stuck with it and found that most problems where me. So have a back then try again because its really worth it. I first started doing stuff with Linux 1.5 years ago. Though being a teenager means I have loads of spare time :D.
Last edited by abushcrafter on Tue 17 Aug 2010, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#8 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

People often get frustrated and angry because Linux does things differently to Windows, but there's a simple reason for that: LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS

A friend gave me a Puppy CD some time back. I took one look at it and went straight back to XP. But then, later, I wanted to start recycling Pentium 3 and 4 computers that my neighbours were throwing out, or that I'd rescued from Skips and Dumpsters, so I took another look at Puppy. To begin with I did Puppy-XP dual boot setups all the time, so I could "ease my way in" to using Puppy, with XP as an option if I got stuck. That way I could have a go at doing different things in Puppy, but XP was there in case of emergencies.

I didn't make a sudden switch from XP to Puppy, I just found that over time I was doing more things in Puppy and less in XP. Now, after using Puppy for 9 months, I hardly ever boot up XP.
Steve

Crash

#9 Post by Crash »

I note that ATI's Linux driver is proprietary whereas NVIDIA's is open source. I suspect that it is a lot easier for Linux developers to adapt NVIDIA's code on account of this:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx

vs.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

I am using the NVIDIA driver that JustGreg posted, and it works fine:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55932

I have two computers that have integrated ATI chipsets on the motherboards. My solution was to buy NVIDIA adapter cards for them. They only cost about $50.

I think it is a wise business decision for NVIDIA to support Linux as well as they do. In at least my case, it was a discriminator that influenced my choice of which product to buy.

cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

thefixer:

This may work. Not uploaded yet.

""""""""""""

" Wary: Radeon failure

I have a PC that was given to me, with ATI Radeon video,
that identifies itself as:

Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]

I tried Wary 0.5.1 (which will be uploaded soon),
Wary 0.4 and Slackpup 0.4, the video does not work with any
of them.
Even the Xorg 'vesa' driver does not work!

However, I built Wary 0.5.1 with Xvesa, and that does work. Good old Xvesa!

It is strange, as according to this site,
the Radeon RV100 hardware should work:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01761

Chris.

thefixer

#11 Post by thefixer »

Radeon 7000 AGP, I owned one of those back in the day, bought it for 150 if I remember, I was so discusted with nvidia after 3fdx fell, as I was a 3dfx fan and nvidia sucked balls at the time, Riva TNT and the Gayfarce 1 32 bit was inferior to glide on a 16bit Voodoo 3, so much smoother.

So yeah buying Radeon 7000 was my way giving the middle finger to Nvidia

Oh btw I just burned Puppy 5.1 and guess what, FAIL!!!

It loaded into the desktop, with a DARK GREY SCREEEN!!

Ok so ATI is at fault for not making their drivers open source, now I see where to direct my rage, thanks guys

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

Stay with us to see if Wary will work 4 you
or someone finds a fix El Fixer.

I won't take my own advice but Vent your Spleen slowly.

Chris.

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

thefixer,

Welcome to Puppy Linux. Your problem is not new and it can be fixed. We will help you.
I am very surprised that you can not get Lucid Puppy 5.10 to boot to a desktop you can see.
The initial bootup should use all generic drivers and get to a viewable desktop.

Here is what we need to know:
Explain what components are in your computer
Detail how you are trying to run or install Lucid Puppy 5.10

cthisbear

#14 Post by cthisbear »

Try this.

Wary Puppy 0.5.1 ...released.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01762

" It is those latest drivers that I would like to get feedback on,
in particular for Nvidia and ATI. "

Chris.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

Though being a teenager means I have loads of spear time

Be careful - you will go blind :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

chopsuwe

#16 Post by chopsuwe »

This is a question that has bugged me about Linux for a while and since there are good answers coming I'd like to chip in.

One of the benefits of Windows is that it has a bucket load of drivers and most devices just work (although we can argue about how well!) Linux also appears to have a very wide range of drivers but each distro only includes a small selection. Apart from size, why aren't all the drivers included in each distro? Windows XP fits on a CD so they can't be that big.

Windows keeps it's memory usage small by only loading the drivers it needs. Doesn't Linux do the same?

How hard would it be to make the drivers work with all versions of Linux? After all there are only three version of the Windows drivers one for 95/98/ME; one for 2000/XP and most of those also work on Vista/7.

Patriot

#17 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Just browsing thru .....

1. Windows does have a bucket load of drivers, but, they're generic ones. They're built to work with minimum acceptable level to support a broad range of hardware models. You still need specific drivers to gain maximum performance (which is the case with current Nvidia/ATI GPUs).

2. Even then XP generic drivers does not always work with newer devices.

3. Linux also does have a bucket load of drivers, and yet they're generic ones too.

4. Drivers inclusion into a distro is usually determined particularly by the distro's policy or targeted platform. In puppy's case, it's the iso size. Enuff said.

5. XP fits a CD since the drivers are generic. Just add in all the ATI + Nvidia certified DX drivers to properly support all their hardware and then tell me if it still fits a CD.

6. Correction: there are at least 5 types of windows drivers. Vxd for w95/w311, wntdm for NT3/4, wdm for w98/ME, wdm(-nt) for w2k/XP, and Windows Driver Foundation for w2k/XP/Vista/7. They're usually forward compatible but not backwards compatible.

7. How hard would it be to make the drivers work with all versions of Linux?
If you've properly done your homework and did some follow-up to the kernel changes, then you wouldn't be wondering how hard ...

Rgds

James C

#18 Post by James C »

I just installed XP on a pretty generic desktop last week. Dell Dimension 4600.....onboard graphics, sound and nic....pretty normal setup.

Out of the "bucket load of drivers" on the install disc I got a generic video driver(totally wrong resolution), no sound,no internet and no modem.The only good thing is the availability of drivers from other sources,it was pretty quick installing all of the needed drivers but they sure wasn't on the disc. :lol:

p310don

#19 Post by p310don »

Funny, the reason I got into using puppy regularly and not just a side interest was because my XP pruter's hdd died, and when I put in a new drive and loaded XP with the original cd, I had no lan, no video but generic, no sound, no usb2.0 etc. Sounds a lot like what James C said.. I couldn't download the drivers for the nic etc, because I had no 'net access - catch 22 at its finest.

Put in the puppy 4.2 cd I had, booted to a full resolution desktop with a woof woof out of the speakers, clicked on connect, got on the internet, got excited, formatted the hdd and did a full install of puppy. Been working like a charm ever since, at the same speed as day one mind you. Try that windows..

For those windows refugees who say that windows is easier / better to install than puppy, I wonder if they've ever actually installed windows, or just used a computer with it installed out of the box. Vanilla windows has no specific drivers installed usually, just the basics to get started. If you have an OEM cd from dell or hp et al, you probably have a slightly customised windows cd that includes all the necessary drivers to make that brand computer work, with its original accessories. If it included an nvidia or ati video card, that driver was put there by the manufacturer, not MS windows.

Puppy, and linux in general in my experience, has a much better collection of drivers by default than windows. But, like has been mentioned a number of times already, its nigh on impossible to put every single driver into the kernel to make it work for every single piece of hardware out there, especially when you're looking at a 100ish Mb distro like this one.

For the most complete driver set inclusions in linux, I've found either Mint or Ultimate Edition to be really good. One of those is about seven times the size of puppy and the other is 25 times the size, so you might expect that..

JCDenton

#20 Post by JCDenton »

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at the original post when I read it.

Most hilarious rant I've seen in ages