Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
tubby

#346 Post by tubby »

Following on from the post by tasmod regarding the firewall,
Type modprobe fbcon into terminal and see the result, not very informative. :roll:

edoc

#347 Post by edoc »

Two observations which may or may not be related ... and which have the feel of a memory leak in the video driver ...

On my very reliable and stable Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 in a climate controlled environment I am seeing some increased frequency in crashing of Lucid 5.1 (003).

It is generally when I have several windows open, perhaps 5 or more, mostly Web sites via Seamonkey (has been 2.0.6, just updated to the 2.0.7 security update), but also E-mail and sometimes OpenOffice (but not always).

The crash always brings it down to the prompt where "xwin" should restore things but does not and "reboot" is necessary.

ALSO, on the ACER Aspire 5535 64bit dual-core laptop 5.1 (003) is showing a pattern of crashing under some video stress as well.

Has anyone else reported this problem?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Markcus

Nvidia driver not working

#348 Post by Markcus »

Hi bigpup,

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try this evening.
It looks very similar to what 01micko suggested in his post earlier in this tread but maybe there is something I've missed.

Many thanks,
Regards,

Mark

Markcus

Nvidia driver not working

#349 Post by Markcus »

Hi bigpup,

I've managed this evening to try the help you gave me but it was unsuccessful.
I've looked through this site for answers to Nvidia problems but possibly my video card may not be supported very well or the upgrade has effected it. The best I can get is Vesa at for now and some of the threads I've seen say this may well be the case. If so I'll roll back to before the upgrade and just live without it.

Many thanks for your help!
Regards,

Mark

bigpup

Re: Nvidia driver not working

#350 Post by bigpup »

Markcus wrote:Hi bigpup,

I've managed this evening to try the help you gave me but it was unsuccessful.
I've looked through this site for answers to Nvidia problems but possibly my video card may not be supported very well or the upgrade has effected it. The best I can get is Vesa at for now and some of the threads I've seen say this may well be the case. If so I'll roll back to before the upgrade and just live without it.

Many thanks for your help!
The Nvidia 173.14.25 diver is suppose to work for your video card. If you have followed the directions I gave you a link to, it should work using this driver.
It is very important that only one Nvidia driver is installed. If more then one, xorgwizard gets confused.

It could be that your upgrade from Lucid 5.0 to 5.1 did not go OK and is causing the problem. This has happened to me.

edoc

#351 Post by edoc »

Lucid crashed again today.

I had been out of the room for about 30 minutes, as I recall, but at the time only some browser windows and E-mail were open.

No OpenOffice, no streaming video, and the Web sites were fairly light demand.

I am at a loss to explain the crashes.

At the prompt when I entered "xwin" I saw this text:
Starting X, specs in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, startupapps /root/.xinitre ........

Exited from X.
Only reboot resulted in getting back to the desktop.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Markcus

#352 Post by Markcus »

bigpup wrote: The Nvidia 173.14.25 diver is suppose to work for your video card. If you have followed the directions I gave you a link to, it should work using this driver.
It is very important that only one Nvidia driver is installed. If more then one, xorgwizard gets confused.

It could be that your upgrade from Lucid 5.0 to 5.1 did not go OK and is causing the problem. This has happened to me.
Re-installed Lucid 5.0 and have it set up as previous. I've taken an image of this one and at some point over the weekend I'll try to update. If the same thing happens I'll go and download 5.1 and try that version.

PPM showed no other Nvidia driver loaded after removing Nvidia-96-43.16...etc. Is there any other way to check for the driver if this happens again? Could it be loaded but not shown somehow?
Regards,

Mark

bigpup

#353 Post by bigpup »

Markcus wrote:Re-installed Lucid 5.0 and have it set up as previous. I've taken an image of this one and at some point over the weekend I'll try to update. If the same thing happens I'll go and download 5.1 and try that version.

PPM showed no other Nvidia driver loaded after removing Nvidia-96-43.16...etc. Is there any other way to check for the driver if this happens again? Could it be loaded but not shown somehow?
What PPM shows is reliable info. You could do a file search for Nvidia and see what comes up.

Not sure what you are trying to do?
However, if you are starting fresh with Lucid 5.0 why not just start fresh with Lucid 5.1 or I would go for Lucid 5.1.1
A fresh install, of a new version, always works better.
If you are running Puppy by using save files on the hard drive, remove any old save files and really start fresh.
Do not change the video driver until you have a save file that is being used. After the first reboot.
If you are doing a full hard drive install, do not change drivers until you have installed to hard drive and rebooted.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#354 Post by Lobster »

but at the time only some browser windows and E-mail were open
Yep noticed that - are you using a 64 bit processor?
I come back to a crashed system too.
This is either Flash (quite likely) or a possible looping
within mozilla browsers (I think it happens in Opera too)
Making Flash the most likely culprit.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

edoc

#355 Post by edoc »

I am seeing it on my 32bit and my son says he is seeing it on his 64bit.

Flash? Now there's a shocker.

BTW: Why does it take them so long to get a new HTML spec out? By the time HTML5 is official the technology will have passed it by many years. HTML5 is supposed to eliminate the proprietary Flash and Silver-whatever-it-is.
I thought I read that the would-be-masters-of-the-world at Google had something to add to the market ... not that I have any interest in anything from them.

It sure would be good to have an open-source alternative rather than something from one of these dubious corporations (Adobe, MS, Google).
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Markcus

#356 Post by Markcus »

bigpup wrote:Not sure what you are trying to do?
Hi bigpup,
I'm fairly new to Puppy and Linux in general and my computer skills are limited to using Windows. I've dabbled with puppy for a short while and if anything ever goes wrong (and it frequently does when you dabble) I had to reinstall it. For someone like me that takes time, not the installation but having to re-set it up. To overcome this I started using Clonezilla which has quickened this step dramatically! The next step was to start trying to put the problem right instead of reinstalling the image. This was what I was hoping to do.

In the end though I still couldn't get my Nvidia driver to work so I followed your suggestion and have downloaded puppy 5.1.1. I'll blank the partition its going in first then install it and give it a go. Fingers crossed everything should be good.

Many thanks for you help I appreciate your support!
Regards,

Mark

TheMonsterX

sda1 doesn't stay mounted (maybe)

#357 Post by TheMonsterX »

Something is happening when I boot into Lucid Puppy 5.11. The booting goes great, and when I enter the gui, the sda1 partition acts as if it unmounts its self. Basically the green dot indicating it is mounted disappears and I have to click on it. If I don't do that, all my desktop icon are triangles with a ! in the middle. I also notice I have a fsckme.err file on the drive.

I am using a ASUS Eee PC 2G Surf. The ssd is one partition (sda1) and it is a full install of Lucid Puppy 5.11. This happened too with both 5.0 and 5.1. I know I can use Puppeee but I find it doesn't do all the things that Lucid Puppy can.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: The fsckme.err is in /mnt/sda1. It says: root,ext2,

jpeps

#358 Post by jpeps »

You can use Startmount, or add to /etc/profile.local:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 &>/dev/null

TheMonsterX

#359 Post by TheMonsterX »

add to /etc/profile.local:
Code:

Thanks! That worked. Except it was /etc/profile.

jpeps

#360 Post by jpeps »

TheMonsterX wrote:
add to /etc/profile.local:
Code:

Thanks! That worked. Except it was /etc/profile.
Better to create /etc/profile.local to store your own additions.

gcmartin

Puppy's desktop help-Midori Browser hanging

#361 Post by gcmartin »

Using 'help' from the Puppy 5.1.1 desktop. The help browser hangs and top shows"

Code: Select all

# [b]top[/b]
CPU:  99% usr   0% sys   0% nic   0% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq
Load average: 1.11 0.39 0.19 2/74 31871
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %MEM CPU %CPU COMMAND
17871 18237 root     R     126m   6%   0  97% midori file:///usr/share/doc/index.html
31766  4736 root     R     2576   0%   0   0% top
Anyone know anything about this Midori lockup in Puppy 5.1.1?

Seems strange that I am getting continual "lock-ups" when viewing Puppy Help from the desktop.
Only way around this is either killing the task(s) or restarting the desktop.

edoc

#362 Post by edoc »

Our son is trying to use a Dpg converter to convert a mkv video file to dpg.

The original file is 343mb.

The computer crashes and powers-off.

Help?

EDIT: When I try Dpg4x on my computer I get the following error text. It was working so I don't know what may have changed in the week or so since I last used it. I do see python2.6 using pfind.
# Dpg4x
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/cx_Freeze/initscripts/Console.py", line 27, in <module>
File "/dpg4x_1.1.1/Dpg4x.py", line 17, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module>
File "ExtensionLoader_wx__core_.py", line 12, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0: version `WXU_2.8.10' not found (required by /usr/share/Dpg4x/wx._core_.so)
#
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

In the Doghouse

Puppy clock time

#363 Post by In the Doghouse »

Set my P.L.510 desktop settings to hardware clock UTC, time zone Pacific. Kept getting the wrong time at bootup. Looked at /root/Startup/settime, which has the single command:
hwclock --hctosys --localtime
The man page for hwclock says --localtime is telling hwclock that my hardware clock runs local time. Why would the settime script contain the --localtime option when I have used the desktop time settings to say I run utc on the hardware clock??? Shouldn't the desktop settings change the the content of the settime script??? Anyway, I changed settime to:
hwclock --hctosys --utc [--utc says my hardware clock is utc]
Now my Puppy Linux boots up with the correct time.
Is it time (excuse the pun) for a bugfix?

P.S.-I would maintain the current utc time on my hardware clock with Psync, but: who wants to have to dismiss the Psync dialogue box after every bootup? Why not add an instruction to Psync for the dialogue box to remove itself after, say, 10 seconds?

L18L

#364 Post by L18L »

Using 'help'
seems that no real newbee ever used Lucid Puppy
Anyone know anything about this Midori lockup in Puppy 5.1.1?
Seems strange that I am getting continual "lock-ups" when viewing Puppy Help from the desktop.
Only way around this is either killing the task(s) or restarting the desktop.
Was the same, of course, in lupq quickset edition, see
Posted: Sat 02 Oct 2010, 10:57 Subject description: midori again
I have made puppyhelp launch my default browser which is seamonkey and does not lockup.