Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
edoc

#271 Post by edoc »

I had a lot of problems with ext2 so I upgraded to ext3.

What does your GRUB menu.lst look like?

This is what I am using. My hope is that between ext3 and "pfix=fsck" the filesystem will retain its integrity.

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Puppy Linux LUCID-5.10_003 Frugal (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel (hd0,1)/lupu-510/vmlinuz pfix=fsck PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda2 psubdir=lupu-510 acpi=noirq nosmp vga=normal video=640x480
  initrd (hd0,1)/lupu-510/initrd.gz
  # Linux bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

8-bit

#272 Post by 8-bit »

Ok, someone explain this to me.
When I boot from the grub menu and select Lupu 5.1, an ext2 file system check is done on both the partition containing grub, and my Puppy frugally installed lupusave file.
Then if I reboot and select Lighthouse Pup, no check is done.
But then if I immediately reboot to Lupu 5.1 no file system check is done.
But then if I reboot from Lupu5.1 back to Lupu 5.1 a flie system check is done.
So that is telling me that Lupu 5.1 is not cleanly unmounting the partition my Puppy frugal installs are on.

In other words, Lighthouse Pup is rebooting or shutting down cleanly.
Lupu 5.1 is not!

I am still open to suggestions as to a remedy.
And again, I have to ask if anyone else is seeing this type of behavior.

edoc

#273 Post by edoc »

X crashed a little earlier this evening, bringing me to the prompt.

My options were "xwin", "xorgwizard", "reboot", or "shutdown".

I tried xwin several times and wach time it tried for a while then back to the prompt - it seemed unable to find the file it needed.

I tried xorgwizard, same failure.

I was stuck with reboot.

I did have several Seamonkey windows open at the time, plus E-mail, plus OpenOffice -- but that is my usual operating condition -- this is the second time in a week that this has happened. I took the first case as an anomaly, now I am wondering ...

Note: The environmental conditions are unchanged; hardware, ambient temp and humidity, etc.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

ragaman

#274 Post by ragaman »

LUPU was one of the best pups released in terms of ease in use. However, everything went downhill once I installed the NVIDIA driver (173 for FX5500 Video Card). The screen flickered, window decoration became red and I lost the taskbar. No option for refresh rate was available in the screen resolution changer utility.

Using VESA, I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver then restarted. The desktop remained unchanged (flickering, window decoration red, no taskbar). Somehow, I couldn't roll back to the desktop I had before the NVIDIA driver was installed.

Solution was simple: Wipe the drive clean and install TEENpup.

8-bit

#275 Post by 8-bit »

I have had that same thing happen before to me as to X crashing.
I reinstalled the video driver for my video card in order to recover.
But that is not something one should have to do.

I know, that thanks to Patriot, we now seem to have a clean shutdown on our pupsave files.
But I wonder if that same shutdown script is handling the unmounting of the partition that puppy is installed to as to making sure that one is clean.

In my case, I boot to an Easy BCD boot menu on my PATA drive. I then select Puppy on it which then boots grub on a PATA (ide) secondary drive.
It is booting grub from an ext2 partition on the second drive.
Then the grub menu comes up and I select the flavor of Puppy I want to boot at that time.
I should mention that I do NOT have "pfix=fsck" on the kernel line of any of the Puppy versions in menu.lst.
I currently am booting back and forth between the hard drive installs and CD to check the ext2 partition.
I have never had any errors on the check other than one that said, and I quote, "file system not cleanly unmounted, check forced".
Then the e2fsck is done and no other errors are found.
I am to the point of trying out a mix with renaming the Lucid 5.1 initrd.gz and copying the one from lighthouse into the Lucid 5.1 directory and seeing if that makes a difference.
I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL WORK!!!
But for Lupu 5.1 to do a file system check of the partition and the lupusave file on starting when I do not have it specified is not good.

rcrsn51

#276 Post by rcrsn51 »

But for Lupu 5.1 to do a file system check of the partition and the lupusave file on starting when I do not have it specified is not good.
Are you assuming that this behaviour happens for everyone?

8-bit

#277 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51,
Short and sweet, no.
I am not ruling out my hardware setup as to the problem.
I am just trying to figure out why Lighthouse Pup and Puppy 431 SCSI as well as Puppy 431 and Puppy 421 do not exibit this behavior.
Also, since grub is located on the partition that gets checkedduring startup and drivers are loaded to access the drives, and a search is done for the puppy files on said partition, I assume that partition is mounted at that point.
So why is an e2fsck being done on it during startup of Lupu 5.1?
I thought there were warnings of doing a file system check on a mounted partition?

If I have offended anyone with my comments on this, I am sorry.
I just am trying to figure this out is all.

mavrothal

Re: Chrome in 5.1 does not start / launch

#278 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:
simes wrote: Thanks for the reply 01micko. I do have an oldish Athlon processor but it ran Chrome OK on Puppy 5.0.1. Has something changed in 5.1 which means older processors no longer run Chrome? (And if so, is the issue really with Chrome? :D )
Yes, chrome was version 5 in Puppy 5, it is now version 6 in 5.1. You could get the old 5 version from ibiblio and try it, no guarantees and it is not officially supported. If it fails, do some googling around or dependency checking. I will ask playdayz to make a prominent note about the P2/old Athlon issue with the newer chrome versions.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

Cheers
Hi,
The issue does not relate to the official 5.1 but to Chromium 5.0.342 pet but I couldn't find that thread. :oops:

On XOpup that runs nicely lupu510 (Good job guys :D ) Chromium 6 fails with "illegal instruction" but Chromium 5 works OK. However, there is no menu entry nor presence in browser selection panel. Any idea?

(PS: Moderator pls move it to the appropriate thread if known)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

pupluser

#279 Post by pupluser »

hi when i toggle fullscreen no matter if its a movie thats on the hd using gnome mplayer or a web page my puppy exit`s xserver or xwin what ever its called and goes to the command line

it does not occur when i play some games or watch fullscreen in youtube or open boxsee that go automaticly to fill screen

please help

thanks

rcrsn51

#280 Post by rcrsn51 »

8-bit wrote:I just am trying to figure this out is all.
I have an ext3 partition with several Puppies, including Lupu, and I have never seen Lupu trigger a filesystem check.

I just set up a test ext2 partition with Lupu and it worked fine there.

It's a mystery why only Lupu is doing this for you. My only thought is that its kernel version is seeing something wrong with the partition that the other Puppies do not.

Do you have another machine on which you could install Lupu - just to confirm that the problem is not being caused by Lupu per se?

tasmod

#281 Post by tasmod »

8 bit,

Just a thought. When you first installed did you copy the iso to disk, mount it and copy across the sfs etc, changed menu.lst then rebooted.

I did this once but forgot to then unmount the iso from disk. It left a flag which caused fschk each boot. I then copied across the iso again, mounted and umounted it, shutdown and then rebooted. All was well afterwards.

just wondered if that's what you may have done?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Jasper

#282 Post by Jasper »

Hi rcrsn51,

I am less fortunate than your good self because I do not have a deep understanding of how my computer works.

However, I installed Lucid Puppy on an ext 3 partition because when I first set up my frugal hard drive installation I recollect the first-save-note said a file system check would [never] be required if using ext 3.

That was installing lupu 5.0.0, but it may well be the same with luci 219 when the first save option arises.

My regards

rcrsn51

#283 Post by rcrsn51 »

@8bit: Tasmod may be on to something. Is the corruption located in the filesystem as a whole or just inside your savefile? This would be easy to determine by temporarily renaming your current savefile and starting a new one.

bigpup

#284 Post by bigpup »

ragaman wrote:LUPU was one of the best pups released in terms of ease in use. However, everything went downhill once I installed the NVIDIA driver (173 for FX5500 Video Card). The screen flickered, window decoration became red and I lost the taskbar. No option for refresh rate was available in the screen resolution changer utility.

Using VESA, I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver then restarted. The desktop remained unchanged (flickering, window decoration red, no taskbar). Somehow, I couldn't roll back to the desktop I had before the NVIDIA driver was installed.

Solution was simple: Wipe the drive clean and install TEENpup.
Try this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58810

8-bit

#285 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51 and tasmod,
I may have found the problem. It has nothing to do with a possible hard drive failing.
I checked dmesg using rxvt, and found this:

Code: Select all

Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -298828837 ns)

Also, I may have set the clock to use hardware time in one version and not the other.
Now Lupu-5.1 seems to boot without doing a file system check.
And if I boot from CD after, my partition shows as clean.
Lucid 5.0 does not though and I am unsure how to change it.
I tried "Set date and time" from the menu in 5.0 and the time setting never completes.
It did with 5.1.

With the progressive updates to 5.0 that are installed along with additional software installed, starting a new pupsave is something I would really like to avoid.
So again, I am open to suggestions.

playdayz

#286 Post by playdayz »

Printing PDF

Given the test document in /usr/share/examples/ps/pdf, epdfview prints blank, Foxit Reader displays the document incorrectly but prints what it displays, and Acrobat Reader displays it correctly and prints it correctly. I would advise anyone who needs to print pdf's accurately get Acrobat Reader--there is a reason it is the standard--we may not like that reason....(one reason--it is huge) I will prepare a pet for PPM, give a day or two. Thanks. Foxit Reader does display many things correctly and print them correctly and it is in PPM

rcrsn51 is working on epdfviewer and may have good news soon.

------------------------------------------------------
Chromium 5 and Iron 5 browsers I was playing with Iron the other day and remembered why I liked it--it was fast and stable. I *think* Chromium 5 is not stable in Lucid 5.1.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Iron- ... -Lucid.pet
You know, if we were looking for a default browser, I would seriously consider Iron, it is the fastest-opening of all of them in Lucid Puppy i think.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 27 Aug 2010, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#287 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:Printing PDF
The short-term solution is described here.

playdayz

#288 Post by playdayz »

rcrsn51 wrote:
playdayz wrote:Printing PDF
The short-term solution is described here.
Or, of course, use Foxit Reader or Acrobat Reader (coming soon). I have a slight prejudice towards using Ubuntu packages such as Cups 1.4.3 because we are after all Lucid Puppy ;-) But most important is making it work! rcrsn51's instructions on printing are tremendous.

Jades

#289 Post by Jades »

kevin bowers wrote:Jades,

I had similar problems with network parameters not being remembered at reboot on two of the three machines I've installed Luci 51 on. Installing and running Pwireless2 fixed both. Thanks go to jemimah!
Cheers for the tip, I've installed it and it seems to have solved my problem. The odd thing was that I don't remember having the same issue on 5.0.1. Pwireless2 actually stands up very well in comparison to the official Netgear software I'm running on XP.
BTW, right on the intro page it tells you to install a full-featured browser. Netsurf just isn't enough for the big jobs.
For anything requiring JavaScript you're right, but NetSurf has been my first-choice browser on RISC OS for well over four years for good reason. That said, NetSurf started on RISC OS and that version is quite a bit more mature in UI terms than the current Linux one. With more development and with the eventual implementation of JavaScript it could become a good choice as default browser on Puppy but for the time being I have to reluctantly agree we should look elsewhere.

Overall I've been very impressed with Puppy in the short time I've been using it and now that I've replaced the PSU on Zhaan, my AMD K6-2 500 machine, it's going to be interesting comparing the performance on that and on Merlin the 3.4GHz Pentium D PC!

Full HardInfo report for Zhaan is now online at http://www.jades.org/comps/hardinfo_zhaan.html, the one for Merlin will follow once I finish fine-tuning.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

No internet connection in 5.1 with WPA2

#290 Post by Béèm »

Since 21.08 I am away from home and just got the access code for an internet connection where I am now for the moment.

It is a WPA2 connection.

I tried with the normal internet setup wizard as well as the simple network setup, but I can't connect. Puppy sees the access point but isn't able to see a live network.

I remember I had this already some time ago, but as I use WEP at home I can connect. I am not sure, but I think I did report this, but don't think there was a cure or answer.

Is there a problem using WPA2 with 5.1?
Do others succeed in connecting with WPA2?

Now you might wonder how I can type this.
As in the previous case I found out that the puppy 4.40CE can connect with WPA2 and that's what I am using now.

I see that 4.40CE uses pwireless2.
Could it be that this pwireless2 has a good support for WPA2 and the network wizards from 5.1 not?

So how can I use WPA2 in 5.1?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]