Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 12:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 25 [364 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
edoc

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug 2010, 15:24    Post subject:  

I had a lot of problems with ext2 so I upgraded to ext3.

What does your GRUB menu.lst look like?

This is what I am using. My hope is that between ext3 and "pfix=fsck" the filesystem will retain its integrity.

Code:
# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Puppy Linux LUCID-5.10_003 Frugal (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel (hd0,1)/lupu-510/vmlinuz pfix=fsck PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda2 psubdir=lupu-510 acpi=noirq nosmp vga=normal video=640x480
  initrd (hd0,1)/lupu-510/initrd.gz
  # Linux bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug 2010, 19:11    Post subject:
Subject description: Differences Lighthouse PUP ans Lupu 5.1

Ok, someone explain this to me.
When I boot from the grub menu and select Lupu 5.1, an ext2 file system check is done on both the partition containing grub, and my Puppy frugally installed lupusave file.
Then if I reboot and select Lighthouse Pup, no check is done.
But then if I immediately reboot to Lupu 5.1 no file system check is done.
But then if I reboot from Lupu5.1 back to Lupu 5.1 a flie system check is done.
So that is telling me that Lupu 5.1 is not cleanly unmounting the partition my Puppy frugal installs are on.

In other words, Lighthouse Pup is rebooting or shutting down cleanly.
Lupu 5.1 is not!

I am still open to suggestions as to a remedy.
And again, I have to ask if anyone else is seeing this type of behavior.
edoc

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug 2010, 22:55    Post subject:
Subject description: X Crashing?

X crashed a little earlier this evening, bringing me to the prompt.

My options were "xwin", "xorgwizard", "reboot", or "shutdown".

I tried xwin several times and wach time it tried for a while then back to the prompt - it seemed unable to find the file it needed.

I tried xorgwizard, same failure.

I was stuck with reboot.

I did have several Seamonkey windows open at the time, plus E-mail, plus OpenOffice -- but that is my usual operating condition -- this is the second time in a week that this has happened. I took the first case as an anomaly, now I am wondering ...

Note: The environmental conditions are unchanged; hardware, ambient temp and humidity, etc.

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
ragaman

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug 2010, 23:08    Post subject:  

LUPU was one of the best pups released in terms of ease in use. However, everything went downhill once I installed the NVIDIA driver (173 for FX5500 Video Card). The screen flickered, window decoration became red and I lost the taskbar. No option for refresh rate was available in the screen resolution changer utility.

Using VESA, I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver then restarted. The desktop remained unchanged (flickering, window decoration red, no taskbar). Somehow, I couldn't roll back to the desktop I had before the NVIDIA driver was installed.

Solution was simple: Wipe the drive clean and install TEENpup.
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug 2010, 23:30    Post subject:  

I have had that same thing happen before to me as to X crashing.
I reinstalled the video driver for my video card in order to recover.
But that is not something one should have to do.

I know, that thanks to Patriot, we now seem to have a clean shutdown on our pupsave files.
But I wonder if that same shutdown script is handling the unmounting of the partition that puppy is installed to as to making sure that one is clean.

In my case, I boot to an Easy BCD boot menu on my PATA drive. I then select Puppy on it which then boots grub on a PATA (ide) secondary drive.
It is booting grub from an ext2 partition on the second drive.
Then the grub menu comes up and I select the flavor of Puppy I want to boot at that time.
I should mention that I do NOT have "pfix=fsck" on the kernel line of any of the Puppy versions in menu.lst.
I currently am booting back and forth between the hard drive installs and CD to check the ext2 partition.
I have never had any errors on the check other than one that said, and I quote, "file system not cleanly unmounted, check forced".
Then the e2fsck is done and no other errors are found.
I am to the point of trying out a mix with renaming the Lucid 5.1 initrd.gz and copying the one from lighthouse into the Lucid 5.1 directory and seeing if that makes a difference.
I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL WORK!!!
But for Lupu 5.1 to do a file system check of the partition and the lupusave file on starting when I do not have it specified is not good.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 01:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
But for Lupu 5.1 to do a file system check of the partition and the lupusave file on starting when I do not have it specified is not good.

Are you assuming that this behaviour happens for everyone?
8-bit

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 02:44    Post subject:  

rcrsn51,
Short and sweet, no.
I am not ruling out my hardware setup as to the problem.
I am just trying to figure out why Lighthouse Pup and Puppy 431 SCSI as well as Puppy 431 and Puppy 421 do not exibit this behavior.
Also, since grub is located on the partition that gets checkedduring startup and drivers are loaded to access the drives, and a search is done for the puppy files on said partition, I assume that partition is mounted at that point.
So why is an e2fsck being done on it during startup of Lupu 5.1?
I thought there were warnings of doing a file system check on a mounted partition?

If I have offended anyone with my comments on this, I am sorry.
I just am trying to figure this out is all.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 03:23    Post subject: Re: Chrome in 5.1 does not start / launch
Subject description: Chrome in 5.1 does not start / launch

01micko wrote:
simes wrote:

Thanks for the reply 01micko. I do have an oldish Athlon processor but it ran Chrome OK on Puppy 5.0.1. Has something changed in 5.1 which means older processors no longer run Chrome? (And if so, is the issue really with Chrome? Very Happy )

Yes, chrome was version 5 in Puppy 5, it is now version 6 in 5.1. You could get the old 5 version from ibiblio and try it, no guarantees and it is not officially supported. If it fails, do some googling around or dependency checking. I will ask playdayz to make a prominent note about the P2/old Athlon issue with the newer chrome versions.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/Lucid_Puppy/Chromium-5.0.342-Lucid.pet

Cheers

Hi,
The issue does not relate to the official 5.1 but to Chromium 5.0.342 pet but I couldn't find that thread. Embarassed

On XOpup that runs nicely lupu510 (Good job guys Very Happy ) Chromium 6 fails with "illegal instruction" but Chromium 5 works OK. However, there is no menu entry nor presence in browser selection panel. Any idea?

(PS: Moderator pls move it to the appropriate thread if known)

pupluser

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 06:56    Post subject:  

hi when i toggle fullscreen no matter if its a movie thats on the hd using gnome mplayer or a web page my puppy exit`s xserver or xwin what ever its called and goes to the command line

it does not occur when i play some games or watch fullscreen in youtube or open boxsee that go automaticly to fill screen

please help

thanks
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 08:53    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:
I just am trying to figure this out is all.

I have an ext3 partition with several Puppies, including Lupu, and I have never seen Lupu trigger a filesystem check.

I just set up a test ext2 partition with Lupu and it worked fine there.

It's a mystery why only Lupu is doing this for you. My only thought is that its kernel version is seeing something wrong with the partition that the other Puppies do not.

Do you have another machine on which you could install Lupu - just to confirm that the problem is not being caused by Lupu per se?
tasmod

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 09:03    Post subject:  

8 bit,

Just a thought. When you first installed did you copy the iso to disk, mount it and copy across the sfs etc, changed menu.lst then rebooted.

I did this once but forgot to then unmount the iso from disk. It left a flag which caused fschk each boot. I then copied across the iso again, mounted and umounted it, shutdown and then rebooted. All was well afterwards.

just wondered if that's what you may have done?

Jasper

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 09:19    Post subject:  

Hi rcrsn51,

I am less fortunate than your good self because I do not have a deep understanding of how my computer works.

However, I installed Lucid Puppy on an ext 3 partition because when I first set up my frugal hard drive installation I recollect the first-save-note said a file system check would [never] be required if using ext 3.

That was installing lupu 5.0.0, but it may well be the same with luci 219 when the first save option arises.

My regards
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 10:51    Post subject:  

@8bit: Tasmod may be on to something. Is the corruption located in the filesystem as a whole or just inside your savefile? This would be easy to determine by temporarily renaming your current savefile and starting a new one.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 11:23    Post subject:  

ragaman wrote:
LUPU was one of the best pups released in terms of ease in use. However, everything went downhill once I installed the NVIDIA driver (173 for FX5500 Video Card). The screen flickered, window decoration became red and I lost the taskbar. No option for refresh rate was available in the screen resolution changer utility.

Using VESA, I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver then restarted. The desktop remained unchanged (flickering, window decoration red, no taskbar). Somehow, I couldn't roll back to the desktop I had before the NVIDIA driver was installed.

Solution was simple: Wipe the drive clean and install TEENpup.

Try this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58810
8-bit

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 12:27    Post subject:
Subject description: My file system check problem Partially solved.

rcrsn51 and tasmod,
I may have found the problem. It has nothing to do with a possible hard drive failing.
I checked dmesg using rxvt, and found this:
Code:
Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -298828837 ns)

Also, I may have set the clock to use hardware time in one version and not the other.
Now Lupu-5.1 seems to boot without doing a file system check.
And if I boot from CD after, my partition shows as clean.
Lucid 5.0 does not though and I am unsure how to change it.
I tried "Set date and time" from the menu in 5.0 and the time setting never completes.
It did with 5.1.

With the progressive updates to 5.0 that are installed along with additional software installed, starting a new pupsave is something I would really like to avoid.
So again, I am open to suggestions.
Page 19 of 25 [364 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: