Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
dragon-the-cat

'Missing Dependencies' in Lucid Puppy after full install

#196 Post by dragon-the-cat »

No idea, if it's a sacrilege :twisted: to verify the message of 'missing dependencies' after the full install on a fresh formatted hd
01micko wrote:All bug reporters take note

Please only report bugs about the official lucid puppy 5.1in this thread.

There was a misleading statement made:
Having all those missing dependencies means Puppy 5.1 was not ready and we have to use Puppy 5.0 instead. I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum and apologize if the problem has already been mentioned.
This is not referring to the official 5.1.

There are a few puplets loosely based on 5.1 floating around

Report bugs in those versions in the appropriate threads.

Thank you.
I'm sorry, but I've had the same experience after the installation of the official release of Lucid Puppy 5.1 on my hd.
After the installation-process has done (no .pets etc.) a message was shown with missing dependencies and the hint to write them on a sheet of paper to check it out later.
Don't laugh, but I have really done this: :arrow:

Code: Select all

PKG-Type: Missing Dependencies
GTK: gtk +12, gdkxft, gdk_pixbuf10, glib 12
Tcl/TK: tk, tcl, tix, uri, tktable, tablelist, tile, trf, combobox, gnocl, img
Qt: qt
xlib: imlib, libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex, libosip2, cdrdao, sox
Misc: libidn, figzdev, pstoedit, mtools
As a resume I have to say, that Lucid Puppy is a really great release with impressing functionality, small size, speed and a well and hard working development team. I think, this famous work is not a result of a 'crusade' against bug-reporters - we can only give hints and report our experience with this release - or not, Micko? :wink:

No offense, I really like Puppy Linux. That's the reason, why I take the time to write this - now: GREETZ @all
So long - 8)
* dragon-the-cat *

rjbrewer

#197 Post by rjbrewer »

dragon-the-cat;

If that message came up during a full install;
don't worry about it.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

sinc

#198 Post by sinc »

That is true, that quote from fox7777 has as a title about during an install. When doing a full install you get that long list of missing dependencies.

Can it be fixed. 01micko, is it possible to hide that message? There has already been numerous questions about it and thats just from people on the forum. People not on the forum are probably confused by that also. I know most of us do frugal installs but outside of here I don't know. It is a confusing message.

@ raviji7: just hit the maximize button in your firefox window. that will fix it.
Last edited by sinc on Fri 20 Aug 2010, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

gortonc

Removing programs

#199 Post by gortonc »

I realize that not being able to remove programs is more of a feature than a bug, but . . .(':roll:') . . It was noted a page earlier in the discussion that "If you don't like the choice then you remaster Puppy with your preferred choice." It is my understanding that puppy unleashed allowed this, but that it was replaced by Woof. I am a linux newbe and was just getting the hang of Woof - I think(':oops:') Now I read in Barry's Blog that Woof can't be used with this build(':cry:') I don't see anything in 01micko's toolbox that will help someone with my level of experience. Am I misunderstanding, are there any suggestions for where I can get the info I need to jump on the learning curve.

I love this distribution! I have even gotten the one Doze program I need to work on Wine from quickpup. Thanks to all for your hard work.

Chris

sinc

#200 Post by sinc »

gortonc: use this, then remaster. that should (actually I don't think I've even done this in lupu yet) remove the programs. if you don't remaster as bigpup points out it will merely hide the programs.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01620
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 950#422950

rcrsn51

#201 Post by rcrsn51 »

Bump
rcrsn51 wrote:Perhaps some other Lupu testers can comment on this situation. If you have a printer attached to your Lupu machine and have declared it sharable (both in the printer settings and in the Server settings) is it visible to other machines on your network?

01micko

#202 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:Bump
rcrsn51 wrote:Perhaps some other Lupu testers can comment on this situation. If you have a printer attached to your Lupu machine and have declared it sharable (both in the printer settings and in the Server settings) is it visible to other machines on your network?
Well, I was printing 509 to 509 before the release, and previous versions, over wireless from my P3 to my main machine, no problem, will test the current status today, should be fine I think. On the P3 I could state any printer, didn't matter, just worked.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

simes

Iron in Lucid Puppy 5.1

#203 Post by simes »

playdayz wrote:
Hi, I have installed 5.1 (very nice - great work, everybody) but cannot get Google Chrome to work.
Hi Simes, Here is a pet of Iron. I had forgotten how much I liked it--it seems very snappy. The p2 version is not needed anymore, they say, because this version will run with p3. (That confused me too, but I hope it works.)

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/I ... -Lucid.pet
Many thanks playdayz, for both your replies. I wasn't aware of Iron until now. Your PET installs with no problems and it works! There's all the speed (more, probably) and ease-of-use of Chrome (that's why I like Chrome) without Google's intrusiveness. I appreciate your help.

gortonc

#204 Post by gortonc »

sinc, Thanks! I will give it a try and let you all know how it works.

kevin bowers

Printer sharing

#205 Post by kevin bowers »

OK, I lied again, I can't let this one rest.

While I deeply appreciate all the high-powered help on this, I'm very much afraid the problem is simply my unique hardware. Not that there's anything wrong with that but you serious developers can't be expected to take so much time on one wierd configuration.

That being said, I no longer believe I have a router problem. I just did a fresh full install on a new HD and still had problems sharing printers. However it seems that the only thing not working is the automatic finding of network printers. It seems that I can manually navigate to the desktop's built-in CUPS web interface from the netbook and find the printers there, and even print a test page. But if I want to actually print from an application I need to manually install the network printer to the netbook's localhost and make very sure I include the full IP address of the printer including the exact printer name as used by the host computer in the "connection" line. For this system it looks like:
http://192.168.2.3:631/printers/HP_DESKJET_895C
I don't know if it was necessary but I made sure the printer name, description, and location fields matched the desktop's also. More testing is needed, but CUPS did install the printer to the localhost and does not return errors like "remote printer does not exist" anymore. I have a lot of work to do on the installation yet, I just got it going last night, but it looks good so far. Of course while I was installing update 2, update 3 was being uploaded! The pace of development of this Puppy is unreal.

Thanks to all!

rcrsn51

#206 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's good news. It sounds like this is some kind of timing issue on your network. The CUPS server is not advertising its printer fast enough for the CUPS client to detect it. But it's odd that it worked with the old CUPS.

In any case, your solution of installing the printer manually may be helpful to other users.

It would interesting to know if the CUPS 1.3.11 in Quirky is better. You could just boot your server machine off the Live CD to test it.

rjbrewer

#207 Post by rjbrewer »

Still having problems with 5.1 dropping internet connection
while online.

Edit;

Switched to Pwireless2 and it seems to be holding up well.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

#208 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:Bump
Well, I was printing 509 to 509 before the release, and previous versions, over wireless from my P3 to my main machine, no problem, will test the current status today, should be fine I think. On the P3 I could state any printer, didn't matter, just worked.

Cheers
Hmmmm......

In 5.1 it was a fail :cry: .. and I tried this tip from vovchik too, should have worked :? (Was late at night when I tried though, will take another look today).

Cheers

rcrsn51

#209 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote:In 5.1 it was a fail
When you are testing this, remember that you don't need to look in Find New Printers. Go directly to the Printers section.

This does work for me in 5.1. But at the moment, I am the only verified success.

kevin bowers

Printer sharing

#210 Post by kevin bowers »

rcrsn51,

Interesting that you should cite network timing as the possible culprit. That is what turned out to be the problem with my system(s) and Quickpet, as far as I know only shared by scsijon. It still amazes me that 01micko found time to make a patch for that after only two known complaints. Anyway I had been blaming the satellite internet provider for that, as scsijon and I are both on satellite, but this would have to be the router as it's an infranet problem. It's an inexpensive unit, not at all designed (or advertised) for commercial or heavy use, but it's been rock-solid for over a year after I fried three other units in two months. OK, I can't blame Cisco Systems for a near-miss lightning strike. But the Belkin has been very reliable.

I'm downloading Quirky1.2 as I type, I'll report back in the next day or so.

01micko

Re: 'Missing Dependencies' in Lucid Puppy after full install

#211 Post by 01micko »

dragon-the-cat wrote: I'm sorry, but I've had the same experience after the installation of the official release of Lucid Puppy 5.1 on my hd.
After the installation-process has done (no .pets etc.) a message was shown with missing dependencies and the hint to write them on a sheet of paper to check it out later.
Don't laugh, but I have really done this: :arrow:

Code: Select all

PKG-Type: Missing Dependencies
GTK: gtk +12, gdkxft, gdk_pixbuf10, glib 12
Tcl/TK: tk, tcl, tix, uri, tktable, tablelist, tile, trf, combobox, gnocl, img
Qt: qt
xlib: imlib, libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex, libosip2, cdrdao, sox
Misc: libidn, figzdev, pstoedit, mtools
As a resume I have to say, that Lucid Puppy is a really great release with impressing functionality, small size, speed and a well and hard working development team. I think, this famous work is not a result of a 'crusade' against bug-reporters - we can only give hints and report our experience with this release - or not, Micko? :wink:

No offense, I really like Puppy Linux. That's the reason, why I take the time to write this - now: GREETZ @all
So long - 8)
* dragon-the-cat *
Ahem...

Slight misunderstanding with the quote.. however, if you had been through this thread you'd have found it's a known bug and the dependencies are not needed. You'd have not needed to take the time to write if you had have read. (Same can be said for me too I guess, but what I said in bold still stands).

Cheers

piratesmack

#212 Post by piratesmack »

Hmm... still no reply.
I'll post one more time just in case it was missed.

In Puppy 5.1, the hwclock is being interpreted as localtime even when you set the hwclock type to utc:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 415#443415

01micko

#213 Post by 01micko »

piratesmack wrote:In Puppy 5.1, the hwclock is being interpreted as localtime even when you set the hwclock type to utc:
Duly noted and you are not the only one to report this issue :wink:

Thanks

Cheers

piratesmack

#214 Post by piratesmack »

01micko wrote:
piratesmack wrote:In Puppy 5.1, the hwclock is being interpreted as localtime even when you set the hwclock type to utc:
Duly noted and you are not the only one to report this issue :wink:

Thanks

Cheers
Oh my bad. I didn't realize this was already reported

Thanks

kevin bowers

Printer sharing

#215 Post by kevin bowers »

rcrsn51, 01micko,

Booted my desktop to Quirky 1.2. Network and CUPS working fine although the ATI video doesn't agree with the Radeon driver. My little netbook running 5.1 still will not automatically find the shared printer.

All else seems well with the machines, Luci seems stable and happy in both boxes. I had a terrible time getting the wireless up with this last install but sheer stubborn cussed perseverance seems to have done it, it's now stable and persistent.

Can't say it enough: thanks again for the Herculean effort!