Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
playdayz

#181 Post by playdayz »

When I click on HELP, I get a help page displayed in Netsurf.
When I try to display the help for an application, I use the dropdown selection to choose the application.

It then gets displayed in the dropdown menu as my selection.
But how does one actually see that help page?
I ask this because there is no GO button and clicking on the selection just activates the drop down menu again.
Yes. We were better off with the stripped version of Seamonkey--even though it was over 10MB. Open to suggestions. I put a fix into InstantUpdate-003 that will give some time to figure the permanent solution.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 19 Aug 2010, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#182 Post by playdayz »

Having all those missing dependencies means Puppy 5.1 was not ready and we have to use Puppy 5.0
Are you referring to the "missing dependencies" in trying to add xfce to Lucid Puppy 5.1 and having trouble with gnome-mplayer and pmusic?

XFCE is not one of the window managers that is included in Lucid Puppy 5.1, nor is it one of the packages that has been tested and configured for Lucid Puppy that are available in Quickpet, Puppy Package Manager, and Lupu News, so I would think people would expect problems in trying to add such software.

The more current dependencies are present, libx264.so.85 and libfaad.so.2, so in InstantUpdate-003 I have added links to those libraries--that might help--please let us know.

I know 01micko is working on this also, just personally, i do not regard this as a bug but as a development issue more appropriate for the development forum. I mention that because people see something listed as a bug and they think there is a problem with the software as delivered, but as delivered both music players work fine--at least I am sure of gnome-mplayer. By the way, what happens with xfce and smplayer?
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 19 Aug 2010, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#183 Post by playdayz »

Instant Update 003 is posted in Lupu News http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/

Here's a quick link -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... 10-003.pet

003 provides libjpeg7, latest index of puppy-lucid repo, enables laptop function keys for volume, brightness, etc., sets Netsurf home page, removes buggy Icewm Xtreme-ReAnimated theme, configures Sylpheed email, fixes USB bootflash, links fsck, adds Dusk IceWM theme, recovers Arabic and Hebrew fonts, fix for Quickpet, workaround for Puppy Help, links to libfaad and libx264 for xfce, browser link to Lupu News

edoc

#184 Post by edoc »

Thanks!

Just grabbed it and will run it on the two, soon to be three, Lucid 5.1 laptops here and report back anything unusual.

EDIT 1: All looks good that I can see, which is a tiny fraction of our listed updates. Laptop Volume works, Brightness appears to work but makes such a tiny change it's hard to be sure -- could be something unique to this Toughbook CF-29.

I will test it on a Z-500 and HP OmniBook a little later.
Last edited by edoc on Thu 19 Aug 2010, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

rcrsn51

#185 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:Yes. We were better off with the stripped version of Seamonkey.
Agreed. It's a PITA to install printers using Netsurf because the CUPS drop-down menus don't work.

01micko

Re: xfce bug fixed

#186 Post by 01micko »

don570 wrote:Regarding pmusic and gnome-mplayer not working with newest xfce

http://puppyfiles.ca/dotpupsde/puppy4/d ... _puppy.pet

I was able to get Pmusic to work at least.
I installed id3lib and ffmpeg

... but I couldn't get gnome-player to work. I did get the following terminal output

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# ldd mplayer
libfaad.so.0 => not found
libx264.so.60 => not found
but I am stumped. VLC Player can be used as a substitute.

I am not experiencing any of your issues with Pmusic in 5.1 running xfce4~ ..I compiled the ffmpeg we are using and it works ok for me, ogg and all.

Hmm, your link is to the newer ffmpeg that supports webm, interesting.

I wonder if anything you installed may have corrupted something for you? I am going to do some more tests soon, and also look further into any id3 issues.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

simes

Chrome in 5.1 does not start / launch

#187 Post by simes »

Hi, I have installed 5.1 (very nice - great work, everybody) but cannot get Google Chrome to work. I installed it from QuickPet, got the message 'Chromium installation successful', but nothing happens when I click the browser icon or start from the menu. If I open a console and issue the command 'chrome' the response is 'illegal instruction'.

I had no problems with chrome in 5.0.1 but don't want to fall back if I can help it. Any ideas, please?

don570

#188 Post by don570 »

01micko remarks
I am not experiencing any of your issues with Pmusic in 5.1 running xfce4~ ..I compiled the ffmpeg we are using and it works ok for me, ogg and all.
I am running shinobar's version of Lucid Puppy 5.1 and not bothering to set
the time,keyboard etc. in a frugal install. xfce sets the keyboard layout to German.
Maybe the fact that nothing is set has something to do with the problem. I will set everything properly and try again and report back.

01micko

Re: Chrome in 5.1 does not start / launch

#189 Post by 01micko »

simes wrote:Hi, I have installed 5.1 (very nice - great work, everybody) but cannot get Google Chrome to work. I installed it from QuickPet, got the message 'Chromium installation successful', but nothing happens when I click the browser icon or start from the menu. If I open a console and issue the command 'chrome' the response is 'illegal instruction'.

I had no problems with chrome in 5.0.1 but don't want to fall back if I can help it. Any ideas, please?
Ah yes, the older Athlon/ P2 issue with Google Chrome.. I'm afraid it won't run on older processors, the alternative is to use SRWare Iron browser , they have a version for P2 which you need if you run an Athlon or Duron processor, or even an old Tbird (great chip at the time IMO :wink: )

don570

I am making great progress with a special XFCE package compiled by Dejan555, with his help we are sorting out menu/icon issues and have tray icons running. There are some issues that will go on unresolved but what I hope to come up with is a beta package for xfce4 by Sunday, It will need plenty of testing in a clean install, including updates and latest Pmusic .

Note Please report bugs with shinobar's version in the appropriate thread, he compiles ffmpeg himself and is probably different to the official version.

Cheers

simes

#190 Post by simes »

01micko wrote:
simes wrote:Hi, I have installed 5.1 (very nice - great work, everybody) but cannot get Google Chrome to work. I installed it from QuickPet, got the message 'Chromium installation successful', but nothing happens when I click the browser icon or start from the menu. If I open a console and issue the command 'chrome' the response is 'illegal instruction'.

Ah yes, the older Athlon/ P2 issue with Google Chrome.. I'm afraid it won't run on older processors, the alternative is to use SRWare Iron browser , they have a version for P2 which you need if you run an Athlon or Duron processor, or even an old Tbird (great chip at the time IMO :wink: )
Thanks for the reply 01micko. I do have an oldish Athlon processor but it ran Chrome OK on Puppy 5.0.1. Has something changed in 5.1 which means older processors no longer run Chrome? (And if so, is the issue really with Chrome? :D )

01micko

#191 Post by 01micko »

All bug reporters take note

Please only report bugs about the official lucid puppy 5.1in this thread.

There was a misleading statement made:
Having all those missing dependencies means Puppy 5.1 was not ready and we have to use Puppy 5.0 instead. I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum and apologize if the problem has already been mentioned.
This is not referring to the official 5.1.

There are a few puplets loosely based on 5.1 floating around

Report bugs in those versions in the appropriate threads.

Thank you.

01micko

#192 Post by 01micko »

simes wrote: Thanks for the reply 01micko. I do have an oldish Athlon processor but it ran Chrome OK on Puppy 5.0.1. Has something changed in 5.1 which means older processors no longer run Chrome? (And if so, is the issue really with Chrome? :D )
Yes, chrome was version 5 in Puppy 5, it is now version 6 in 5.1. You could get the old 5 version from ibiblio and try it, no guarantees and it is not officially supported. If it fails, do some googling around or dependency checking. I will ask playdayz to make a prominent note about the P2/old Athlon issue with the newer chrome versions.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

Cheers

playdayz

#193 Post by playdayz »

Yes, chrome was version 5 in Puppy 5,
To my surprise, Chrome 5 is running for me in LP 5.1

Wait. It crashed if I scrolled too fast.

playdayz

#194 Post by playdayz »

Hi, I have installed 5.1 (very nice - great work, everybody) but cannot get Google Chrome to work.
Hi Simes, Here is a pet of Iron. I had forgotten how much I liked it--it seems very snappy. The p2 version is not needed anymore, they say, because this version will run with p3. (That confused me too, but I hope it works.)

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/I ... -Lucid.pet

Stripe

#195 Post by Stripe »

rcrsn51 wrote:
playdayz wrote:Yes. We were better off with the stripped version of Seamonkey.
Agreed. It's a PITA to install printers using Netsurf because the CUPS drop-down menus don't work.
Would the complete seamonkey 2 browser be too large? as after testing all the browsers on offer this seems the most versatile in relation to working on all hardware. (alright I am still using my old box)

Hope this helps
Stripe

dragon-the-cat

'Missing Dependencies' in Lucid Puppy after full install

#196 Post by dragon-the-cat »

No idea, if it's a sacrilege :twisted: to verify the message of 'missing dependencies' after the full install on a fresh formatted hd
01micko wrote:All bug reporters take note

Please only report bugs about the official lucid puppy 5.1in this thread.

There was a misleading statement made:
Having all those missing dependencies means Puppy 5.1 was not ready and we have to use Puppy 5.0 instead. I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum and apologize if the problem has already been mentioned.
This is not referring to the official 5.1.

There are a few puplets loosely based on 5.1 floating around

Report bugs in those versions in the appropriate threads.

Thank you.
I'm sorry, but I've had the same experience after the installation of the official release of Lucid Puppy 5.1 on my hd.
After the installation-process has done (no .pets etc.) a message was shown with missing dependencies and the hint to write them on a sheet of paper to check it out later.
Don't laugh, but I have really done this: :arrow:

Code: Select all

PKG-Type: Missing Dependencies
GTK: gtk +12, gdkxft, gdk_pixbuf10, glib 12
Tcl/TK: tk, tcl, tix, uri, tktable, tablelist, tile, trf, combobox, gnocl, img
Qt: qt
xlib: imlib, libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex, libosip2, cdrdao, sox
Misc: libidn, figzdev, pstoedit, mtools
As a resume I have to say, that Lucid Puppy is a really great release with impressing functionality, small size, speed and a well and hard working development team. I think, this famous work is not a result of a 'crusade' against bug-reporters - we can only give hints and report our experience with this release - or not, Micko? :wink:

No offense, I really like Puppy Linux. That's the reason, why I take the time to write this - now: GREETZ @all
So long - 8)
* dragon-the-cat *

rjbrewer

#197 Post by rjbrewer »

dragon-the-cat;

If that message came up during a full install;
don't worry about it.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

sinc

#198 Post by sinc »

That is true, that quote from fox7777 has as a title about during an install. When doing a full install you get that long list of missing dependencies.

Can it be fixed. 01micko, is it possible to hide that message? There has already been numerous questions about it and thats just from people on the forum. People not on the forum are probably confused by that also. I know most of us do frugal installs but outside of here I don't know. It is a confusing message.

@ raviji7: just hit the maximize button in your firefox window. that will fix it.
Last edited by sinc on Fri 20 Aug 2010, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

gortonc

Removing programs

#199 Post by gortonc »

I realize that not being able to remove programs is more of a feature than a bug, but . . .(':roll:') . . It was noted a page earlier in the discussion that "If you don't like the choice then you remaster Puppy with your preferred choice." It is my understanding that puppy unleashed allowed this, but that it was replaced by Woof. I am a linux newbe and was just getting the hang of Woof - I think(':oops:') Now I read in Barry's Blog that Woof can't be used with this build(':cry:') I don't see anything in 01micko's toolbox that will help someone with my level of experience. Am I misunderstanding, are there any suggestions for where I can get the info I need to jump on the learning curve.

I love this distribution! I have even gotten the one Doze program I need to work on Wine from quickpup. Thanks to all for your hard work.

Chris

sinc

#200 Post by sinc »

gortonc: use this, then remaster. that should (actually I don't think I've even done this in lupu yet) remove the programs. if you don't remaster as bigpup points out it will merely hide the programs.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01620
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 950#422950