Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
playdayz

Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

#1 Post by playdayz »

If these Tips & Tricks do not help, please post a message in this thread describing the problem. If you want help in getting something accomplished, please post a new message in the Users forum. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=3

***Please install the latest Instant Update -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/

Problem starting Lucid Puppy. Lucid Puppy (Lupu) will boot to a graphical screen in almost all cases and from that screen you can make adjustments if they are needed or wanted. If it does not boot to a graphical screen, it might boot to a “prompt.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 21 Aug 2010, 19:30, edited 16 times in total.

Jim1911

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

Problems with no sound on a Dell Dimension E510. Otherwise Lupu-510 is working great.

Results of code "less /proc/asound/modules" shows only one sound card
0 snd_hda_intel

Ideas?

Stripe

#3 Post by Stripe »

Hi
Do you have the taskbar volume Icon?
Stripe

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

Stripe wrote:Hi
Stripe
Yes, and it's at full volume.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 wrote:
Stripe wrote:Hi
Stripe
Yes, and it's at full volume.
3 things to try

1) right click the volume icon and adjust settings in the retrovol GUI

2) run alsamixer, don't forget to press [Tab] key to bring up more settings

3) run alsaconf (alsawizard)..

..you may have overlooked these things because Puppy usually does them so well OOTB on most hardware, I know I have at times! :lol: Or did you try them already?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

Put the standard desktop icons on an autohide launchbar (JWM only)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 979#440979
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

sindi

Lucid 5.01 and Thinkpad 770

#7 Post by sindi »

As with 4.21, 5.01 won't boot from CD on my Thinkpad 770 266Mhz.. Says it cannot find its sfs file. I tried to boot with loadlin on this and on a DELL which won't boot from any CD, but that just reboots both computers.

4.31 does boot on the Thinkpad. I think retro kernel.

5.01 boots from CD (without reading save file, pfix=ram) on HP N5415 but not if I copy the sfs file to it on exit and reboot with CD in the drive - kernel panic. NTFS file system, ext2 save file.

Chrome browser screen is wider than the HPs LCD screen (about
1/4" at each side) need to move or shrink it to see scroll bar.
I think the page bottom is also cut off but don't know what it is supposed to look like (no menu or tabs). I may have chosen the wrong one of two 1024 resolutions for Xorg.

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Ok..

a minor buglet..

If you run Pcur from the desktop menu it tells you to grab the cursor themes from Puppy Package Manager.. one problem.. they aren't there.

Here they are !

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... emes-1.pet

That is a direct link to the pet in the Puppy 4 repo, works fine, it's all script and icon based so no nasty surprises with clashing libs or anything.

I imagine there will be updates to the PPM to cover for small oversights such as this.. I wonder why Lobster didn't find this one? :wink:

Cheers

Jim1911

#9 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote: 3 things to try

1) right click the volume icon and adjust settings in the retrovol GUI

2) run alsamixer, don't forget to press [Tab] key to bring up more settings

3) run alsaconf (alsawizard)..

..you may have overlooked these things because Puppy usually does them so well OOTB on most hardware, I know I have at times! :lol: Or did you try them already?

Cheers
Done already, no change. Alsamixer shows the card as HDA Intel, and Chip as SigmaTel9221 A1 if that helps any. The Dell Dimension E510 is only a few years old and sound works fine. Incidentally, I am booting from a pen drive created by 510 which is working great except for the sound.

Thanks,
Jim

Stripe

#10 Post by Stripe »

Hi Jim

When you run alsamixer and press f6 does that only show one device at position 0 (default)? if there is any listed as 1 that is another sound device.
Does rebooting make a difference?
Do you have sound problems with other programs?
I usualy boot/install from a pen drive and have only had problems with alsa recognising my graphics card sound chip as a soundcard.
(that was recognised as snd_hda_Intel)
try "less /proc/asound/modules" again please just to be sure (remembering that each numbered line is a seperate sound device)

Stripe

rjbrewer

#11 Post by rjbrewer »

I lost my wireless connection after about an hours use of 5.1.
Had this happen with 507 and 508 too.
Both sns and regular wizard have the problem.
Never happens with any other Puppy installs.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Jim1911

#12 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi stripe,
When you run alsamixer and press f6 does that only show one device at position 0 (default)? if there is any listed as 1 that is another sound device.
Output is:
- (default)
0 HDA Intel
Does rebooting make a difference?
No.
Do you have sound problems with other programs?
Windows XP is only OS and has no problems with sound. I did try Fatdog64 which also had problems with sound.
"less /proc/asound/modules" again please just to be sure (remembering that each numbered line is a seperate sound device)
Output is: 0 snd_hda_intel
Hardware info identifies the Audio device as an Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller

Thanks for trying,
Jim

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

Jim

Something to try...

Years ago I had problems with alsa on a box and had to load the oss driver, that could be your solution too, but I forget how to do it!

Search the forum or the web and there will be an explanation somewhere.

Cheers

rjbrewer

#14 Post by rjbrewer »

A problem with flsynclient on Inspiron 700m, Intel 855gm graphics.
Attachments
synaptics.jpg
(56.44 KiB) Downloaded 9313 times

Full installs

JonT

re: rjbrewer

#15 Post by JonT »

rjbrewer, my laptop (Inspiron 1100, 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE video) is not the same as yours but perhaps similaar. I have had the same response as you from flsynclient on the first boot. However,if I run xorgwizard (mine needs the "intel" driver, not "i810"), flysclient works. There is also a nice touchpad section in the generated xorg.conf, but it seems that the flsynclient settings are the ones that count.

rjbrewer

Re: re: rjbrewer

#16 Post by rjbrewer »

JonT wrote:rjbrewer, my laptop (Inspiron 1100, 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE video) is not the same as yours but perhaps similaar. I have had the same response as you from flsynclient on the first boot. However,if I run xorgwizard (mine needs the "intel" driver, not "i810"), flysclient works. There is also a nice touchpad section in the generated xorg.conf, but it seems that the flsynclient settings are the ones that count.
Thanks for the tip JonT, but each Dell laptop with a different 800
series graphic has it's own kind of craziness.

It did help on my Fluppy install which said it "couldn't find a float point".

Interestingly; I dragged the Fluppy flsynclient files to my 4.3.1 retro
(2.6.21.7), which didn't come with flsynclient, and it works perfectly.

Full installs

shinobar

Quickpet issue

#17 Post by shinobar »

mikco, 2 issues on quickpet.
  1. As kevin bowers said, i think wget timeout setting of 1 second is too short in some situation.
  2. In case downloaded pet was coruppt by accident, petget fails and quickpet sais 'Failed to download. Try again...'
    But the coruppt pet left at /tmp and quickpet try to reuse if it unfortunately has corect size. So, retry fails again and again. i think it is not rare case.

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

As kevin bowers said, i think wget timeout setting of 1 second is too short in some situation
Hmmm... ok... as Kevin Bowers states in that link (which I missed sorry) it can take 5 to 10 seconds to open a gateway on his sat connection.

Trouble is if I set the loop that slow it becomes "Slowpet"... I can get Firefox in that 10 seconds.

Ok, a proposed solution to that issue is to set the loop count sleep as a variable.. default as is with 2 second increments ranging up to 15 or 20 seconds. That could be configured in preferences and a more appropriate splash message displayed. "Error timeout bla bla, try a different timeout setting in preferences" or words to that effect.

The other option is to ditch the loop all together. PPM won't install a corrupt package anyway and make the action to delete that package and user can try again later. However this presents a problem for dialup users who may have their connection chopped off 4 hourly, and a large pet such as Google Earth or even Chrome browser may take that long on a remote dialup connection.
In case downloaded pet was coruppt by accident, petget fails and quickpet sais 'Failed to download. Try again...'
But the coruppt pet left at /tmp and quickpet try to reuse if it unfortunately has corect size. So, retry fails again and again. i think it is not rare case.
I disagree. The integrity check done is in bytes. I think it would be extremely rare for a corrupt package to sneak through. If a package is incomplete then wget knows this and will continue, (-c option).

Over the coming days I will release a testing version for scsijon and Kevin Bowers to test. (And other so that we know that changes don't affect anyone else's experience :wink: )

Cheers

shinobar

quickpet issue

#19 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote: a proposed solution to that issue is to set the loop count sleep as a variable.
I didn't mean that.
I think 'wget -T 1' option to check internet connection is too short. it can be "wget -T 10" or so.
It does not take time when the internet is alive and fast.
Can be a problem if there are no connection, 10 seconds silence...?
well then...
start 'wget -T 4'
if failed popup 'Failed. Retry? Yes/Cancel'
retry 'wget -T 8'
again popup
next 'wget -T 16'

Anyway 1 second is too short. i feel start 4 and max 16 seconds.
01micko wrote:The integrity check done is in bytes. I think it would be extremely rare for a corrupt package to sneak through.
Can be extremely rare case i faced to. the first downloaded firefox pet had same byte size but different checksum.
But anyway, quickpet knows the petget failed. why not sweep out the file from the cache which the petget failed?

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

I didn't mean that.
I think 'wget -T 1' option to check internet connection is too short. it can be "wget -T 10" or so.
It does not take time when the internet is alive and fast.
Can be a problem if there are no connection, 10 seconds silence...?
well then...
start 'wget -T 4'
if failed popup 'Failed. Retry? Yes/Cancel'
retry 'wget -T 8'
OK, I took a look in petget and Barry has the "-T" param set to "-T 20".. ok so I did that, doesn't make sense to me to add it to the loop.

Also added the sleep preference, it was easy and may be useful to some, especially on slow equipment and connection.

Also added delete if petget fails to install, but it stays if only download fails.

scsijon and Kevin Bowers please test, and anyone else can test too.

Cheers
Attachments
quickpet-patch-sj-KB-1.pet
(11.98 KiB) Downloaded 594 times