Posted: Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:25 Post subject:
How to Install CUPS 1.4.4 in Quirky/Wary
Quirky and Wary Puppy both have CUPS 1.3.11. This is a highly stable version, but some users may want to upgrade to the next CUPS generation like in Lupu and Spup.
The cups-1.4.4-i486.pet from here can be installed right over the current CUPS. Your installed printers and driver packages should continue to work as before. Here is the installation procedure.
1. Stop the current CUPS scheduler with
2. Download and install the PET.
3. Start the new CUPS scheduler with
4. Verify that the upgrade was successful with
5. Launch your web browser and clear its cache. In Seamonkey, look under Tools > Clear Private Data.
6. Open the CUPS web interface. Note that many of the printer options are now in the two pull-down menus.
Some driver packages, like the Canon series, attempt to install their printer for you automatically. This may not always work in CUPS 1.4.4, so you may have to install the printer manually using Administration > Add Printer or Find New Printers. If necessary, reboot the printer or restart CUPS.
As a last resort, go to the folder /usr/lib/cups/backend and delete the special model-specific backend files. Restart CUPS. Your printer should now be detected as a plain USB printer.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum