files cleanout

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

files cleanout

#1 Post by GuestToo »

http://www.pupweb.org/puppy/news.htm
rc.update script has been updated for puppy2, and I have done away with the "files cleanout" ... It was controversial
i hope it wasn't done away with on my account

i have mentioned before that Puppy's /usr is a hostile environment, because files might get deleted ... and it is ... but i have always thought of it as the way Puppy works because Puppy runs as a live cd, and just something to be aware of and to work around

at worst, a dotpup can be easily reinstalled ... my dotpup packages are pretty reisilient anyway, and try to survive anything Puppy can throw at them

and some of my packages expect to be removed when Puppy upgrades ... for example, my SP bugfix packages should be removed when Puppy upgrades to a newer version ... and mtPaint 2.29.11 should probably be removed anyway if a newer version of Puppy comes with mtPaint 2.30

actually, i have had more problems with icons and wallpaper files that have been moved or deleted ... it would be nice if there was a file or symlink called something like /usr/share/backgrounds/puppywallpaper.jpg that would be in every version of Puppy

MU

#2 Post by MU »

There was reported (and that happened to me, too), that dotpups were removed when upgrading from 106 to107.
but the strange thing was, just some were removed.
Or were it just files I copied manually?
I don't remember...

However, I think it would be good imho, if those files would remain untouched.

You can re-install a dotpup, but if you have some files there because you develop something, it gets nasty to copy back everything.

I think an update just should remove system-files, that might corrupt the integrity of puppy itself.
Myself I could live with the "nasty" behaviour (though I'm not happy with it), but I think many users would get completely confused by that.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i don't assume that pupget works perfectly, without any bugs (i also don't assume that isos always download properly either ... i always check the md5sum) ... pupget might work perfectly ... but i don't assume that it does

the only packages i registered with pupget were Rox 2.x ... and only the file /usr/local/bin/rox ... i'm not sure, but i think it was removed anyway when i upgraded from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7 ... not a big problem (just click /root/my-roxapps/ROX-Filer and it is reinstalled, but it might be confusing to some people)

i don't like editing pupget config files directly anyway ... this is a practice that Object Oriented Programming is supposed to consider a bad thing to do ... i don't think OOP is always necessary, i think sometimes it makes things unnecessarily complicated, but this is a case where it makes some sense (it is possible to corrupt the pupget config files so that pupget won't even start)

klhrevolutionist

the meaning?

#4 Post by klhrevolutionist »

What does this mean for option 2 hard driver's?
Hopefully makes it easier for people on hard drives to upgrade and just upgrade what needs upgraded leaving everything else alone......
Or am I completely wrong & off track ?
Thanks.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: the meaning?

#5 Post by BarryK »

klhrevolutionist wrote:What does this mean for option 2 hard driver's?
Hopefully makes it easier for people on hard drives to upgrade and just upgrade what needs upgraded leaving everything else alone......
Or am I completely wrong & off track ?
Thanks.
Yes, it means that your customised hd2 installation will be left alone at an upgrade. That is, the puppy files will be written to it, but anything else will be left as-is.
Mostly anyway.

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

it would be nice if there was a file or symlink called something like /usr/share/backgrounds/puppywallpaper.jpg that would be in every version of Puppy
:idea: BINGO! That's exactly the main idea behind Mo-Betta Wallpaper-Setta. By using a symlink, EVERYTHING can be set to that symlink. Then, to change all backgrounds, you just change what the link points to.

That's also one of the main ideas behind the best thing since peanutbutter to a webdeveloper: Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). Change one sheet to alter the entire site. The other main idea is the cascading part.

It's also a main idea in my custom formatting deal for my website. I can change the code that interprets [title] and [subtitle] to make the actual html spit out completely different for the entire site. Combined with CSS, it makes life extremely simple for me.

As you can see, I like that idea :D It's due to my lazy nature. Why change three things when I can chage one? And the work to set that up is less in the long run. Like the work to get a tv-remote compared with getting up five times per day for years. :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]