1.01 & 1.02 boot, but not 1.03

Booting, installing, newbie
topquark

1.01 & 1.02 boot, but not 1.03

#1 Post by topquark »

Yesterday I burned 2 more v1.0.3 .iso images. One closed and 1 multisession. Neither will boot. I have v1.0.1 burned, boots fine, v1.0.2 burned, boots fine. v1.0.3 freezes when trying to start xwindows. If I ctl+c right before freeze I get message in RED type that puppy probably can't mount usr-cram.fs on /usr then Busy Box pops up with ash shell. I am not a coder and a relative newbe. Please point me in the right direction. If 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 go well why not 1.0.3? This is, how should I say........puppycock!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: 1.01 & 1.02 boot, but not 1.03

#2 Post by Lobster »

topquark wrote:Yesterday I burned 2 more v1.0.3 .iso images. One closed and 1 multisession. Neither will boot. I have v1.0.1 burned, boots fine, v1.0.2 burned, boots fine. v1.0.3 freezes when trying to start xwindows. If I ctl+c right before freeze I get message in RED type that puppy probably can't mount usr-cram.fs on /usr then Busy Box pops up with ash shell. I am not a coder and a relative newbe. Please point me in the right direction. If 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 go well why not 1.0.3? This is, how should I say........puppycock!
For those having difficulty with creating ISO images try here (doesn't apply to you):
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/AbsoluteBeginners

Can you burn and boot other distros ISO images OK every time?
Is it possible that the ISO is faulty? Could the burner be faulty or the CD media?
I would start with doing an MD5check on your ISO image. I know how frustrating this can be - do you have a padded wall available for knocking your head against in such emergencies?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#3 Post by Guest »

I have checked everything and made several holes in the sheetrock. I have to think it's in a script somewhere It won't mount /usr. I am going to plug in another HD. 'Empty Samsung 40G. Start with fat32 and partition as I go. I can't scroll the bootscreen as in 4Dos nor can I freeze or capture it to get the exact problem. It will mount a terminal (tty1) but freezes before I can see run level. I started following Tvoralds about 8 years ago and have been waiting for a user friendly distro sans rocket science. Puppy looks fine even now. I just don't have Linux skills. DOS skills only help so much. Thanks for suggestions.

kabooky

#4 Post by kabooky »

He is having the same problem as me, where usr_cram.fs won't mount, I tried for 3 days to get 1.0.3 to work, but when I tried 1.0.2 it worked on the first try.

NathanF

boot problem

#5 Post by NathanF »

I just started having this exact problem, only in my case I can now only get 1.01 to boot. I have booted 1.02 and 1.03 on my laptop fine, and both have booted from usb on this computer, but now for some reason neither one can bring up X.

Nathan
(Happily running Puppy as a server for my website!)

topquark

#6 Post by topquark »

I have several live CD distros to include Knoppix 3.8, Linspire 5.0 and Puppys 1.0.1,2 & 3. All go well except Puppy 1.0.3. As a relative newbe I want a turnkey system. I believe Puppy has a too small following at this point to generate the kind of interaction some of us need. It's no-fault. Puppy is ahead of its time and as a labor of love I expect great things. My solution? Wait for 1.0.4. Thanks to all.

ezeze5000

puppy-1.0.3 download problem

#7 Post by ezeze5000 »

I couldn't get puppy-1.0.2 to download the ISO for puppy-1.0.3 properly.

I ended up using winblows and Filezilla to get a good download of the ISO.

Now it burns properly and boots properly in single and multi session, as
long as i burn it using puppy-1.0.2

I still haven't been able to get puppy-1.0.3 to burn anything yet.

I have followed all and any suggestions on the forum but it's still a no go.

but i haven't given up yet :)