can't boot from usb key

Booting, installing, newbie
babbs

#16 Post by babbs »

I'd gladly turn over the wiki pages I have on USB to someone more knowledgable who is willing to work on them. I try my best with what I know. :)

One problem to consider with the USB 1.1 ports is that it takes longer to transfer the files from the drive to the system than it does with USB 2.0 ports. With my laptop, it would seem like it took forever to boot with its USB 1.1 ports. I routinely thought the system was hung. A couple times, I'd go away for a while (never measured the time) and Puppy would be up and running when I returned.

Some time ago, there were instructions to make the PSLEEP settings longer to overcome some errors. Although I think it was to keep the USB boot from timing out, I can't remember for sure. Try searching on psleep and usb to see what you find out.

jmarsden

#17 Post by jmarsden »

khisanth wrote:I'd love to help you with running the usbreport.sh you posted. I saved it on the usb key under the name usbreport.sh and tried to run it in puppy with the command ./usbreport.sh I am getting an error, bad interpreter: no such file of directory
Check that the first lne of the script is correct? You could also try

Code: Select all

sh usbreport.sh
instead? Or

Code: Select all

bash ./usrreport.sh
perhaps. Though I am not sure why running it directly failed for you, as /bin/sh should exist on pretty much any Puppy system, I would think?

Also, please note: running usbreport.sh isn't really helping me -- my USB keys work fine :-) It would hopefully help the community as a whole, especially if someone is willing to collect the results and try to make some sense of them.

Jonathan